ADVERTISEMENT

Rating Players 1976 vs. 2025

In terms of basketball ability/instincts, not factoring in modern nutrition & training, Gavin might be up there with the 76 starters.
Cliff's trajectory sophomore year reminded me of that of Bailey. Bailey replaced Palko early in the season (Penn game at MSG I believe) & Cliff was clear backup to Miles. Cliff took a slight step back junior year however, and would need to progress significantly to be on par with Bailey, who became a monster - but maybe that's possible this season..
Don't know about Ace & (Dylan?) yet, but at tops only 3 players from the 2025 team go to the pros.
The entire starting 5 of the '76 team was drafted. Dabs was the only one who did not play in NBA, mainly because of Jerry West. With another team, who knows..
The fact that Dabney was injured, played a role too. I think that if things were as they are today, he would have rehabilitated and continued his career.

Reactions: Loyal_2RU
As I said - the 70's players came from a substantially smaller pool of athletes
even with the same training, diet and all else - teams from the 70's would be significantly behind today's teams

Cliff, Mag, Chol, Oskar, Ogbole - that's nearly half the team drawn from a pool of players that was non-existent in 1976
The best players stayed 4 years back then. That level of experienced talent perhaps offsets the size of today’s talent pool.

The 76 team had great athletes, they would still be great athletes today, I believe both Dabney and Copeland won state high championship in consecutive years, JB was a better basketball player than Cliff, Cliff is probably a better athlete than JB but it’s close. JB had tremendous leaping ability. Sellers biggest problem was his size, 6’4” was it, but he played much bigger, didn’t have a great handle, had he played as a guard he probably would have had a hell of an nba career.
Nobody ran the court like the 76 team, considering no three point shot, they still scored over 100 pts in multiple games, every possession had a fast break potential

Last edited:
James Bailey was a better offensive player than Cliff
I put jammin James on top there
Agreed. During his career the Phi Slamma Jama team was highlighted because of all their dunks.
(The rules changed allowing dunks) During one of the TV broadcasts where a talking head was going on about PSJ his partner interrupted to mention James Baily had more dunks than the entire PSJ team. Would love for Cliff to be anywhere close to this dominant.

The 76 team was one of the greatest teams ever. They averaged like 93 points per game or more. Bailey was drafted 6th in the NBA draft. He did average only 8.5 as a frosh but Cliff I think only got like 3.9 ppg as a frosh. Bailey led the nation by far one year in dunks. I have watched RU since Lloyd and Valvano and I can tell you that Sellers, Dabney, Jordan, Copeland and Bailey were so much better than almost every RU player was who ever wore the uniform. Mag and Simpson would never compare to any of the Top 5 players on the 76 team. Roy Hinson was amazing as well and was another first round draft pick. Too many people of today's years and maybe the last 20-30 years right away think that players of more recent times are so much better than many players that they never even saw play. I believe those players in the 70's would still excel in today's game.

Interesting post. What I would really take issue with is the notion that Hollis was “unheralded.“ He was highly coveted as a recruit, the only player that Young ever promised would start as a freshman. He was highly regarded as a player throughout. I love Mag — but choosing between him and Copeland is not a close call.
Yep. And Red Holzman thought he was good enough to play for the Knicks. 3 out of 5 starters from the 76 team played in the NBA. We can only hope that happens again someday

Yep. And Red Holzman thought he was good enough to play for the Knicks. 3 out of 5 starters from the 76 team played in the NBA. We can only hope that happens again someday
It was actually four of the five starters – – everybody but Dabs— and people say he would have made the Lakers if not for an injury, and then he just chose to move on with his life.

It's hard to do considering how the game has changed and how much more opportunity there is for players to develop their game today and to showcase their talents. Assuming Dylan commits and guessing what the starting team might be, here is how I would rate them. Keep in mind that I saw every single game they played in 1976 and have seen nearly every game since. Here goes:

1 - Ace Bailey - The greatest talent I've ever seen on the high school level to attend RU. Just off the charts good.
2 - Phil Sellers - Top 5 HS player and only RU player I've ever seen who could just put the team on his back and will them to win.
3 - James Bailey - Cliff would have a tough time getting a shot off against him.
4 - Dylan Harper - Would have started on the '76 team IMO, and that's saying something considering Eddie Jordan's NBA career.
5 - Mike Dabney - Another first team all-state player who I believe would have been even better back then if there were three point shot - Great defender.
6 - Cliff O - His impact on the game can't be denied, but he wouldn't have been allowed to dunk in '76. Best rebounder I've seen at RU.
7 - Eddie Jordan - His defense on the ball and steals are what made the '76 team click. Another great leader.
8 - Hollis Copeland - Unheralded, but could do a little of everything. Had a tough time here between him and Mag, but Hollis was also a good defender with a better all around game IMO.
9 - Mawat Mag
10 - Derek Simpson assuming he starts in 2024.
You are tempting the classic Rutgers curse here by comparing past RU greats to 2 guys, one who hasn’t even yet verballed to RU, and neither of whom have even signed a letter of intent let alone shown up on campus and actually played a game!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT