ADVERTISEMENT

Realistic expectations…

bori_blanco

All Conference
Gold Member
Jul 6, 2004
Ocean County
www.scarletknights.com
So in a nutshell next year’s team has a ton of starters (RETURNING) on both sides of the ball 🏈 only losing Max Melton to the NFL (significant contributor) others were KEY 🔑 role players.

Said team was able to reach 7 wins with “1” of the hardest schedules in all of college football.

As MANY say can’t duplicate game reps in practice.

Which is why “The invaluable game experience” gained is monumental going forward.

With the added experience, incoming players, portal help, different schedule which on paper looks a tad bit easier 🤔

What are the realistic expectations (wins-losses) going forward?!

So in a nutshell next year’s team has a ton of starters (RETURNING) on both sides of the ball 🏈 only losing Max Melton to the NFL (significant contributor) others were KEY 🔑 role players.

Said team was able to reach 7 wins with “1” of the hardest schedules in all of college football.

Which is why “The invaluable game experience” gained is monumental going forward.

With the added experience, incoming players, portal help, different schedule which on paper looks a tad bit easier 🤔

13 or 14 wins with an appearance in the CFP!

Let's see for real.

8-4? Va Tech will not be as easy as 2023. Some will quibble with UW, but they are gutted with their HC leaving, having only 3 starters left on team. 50% of the tossups are reasonable.

Wins: (5) Howard, Akron, Minnesota, Illinois, Michigan State
Toss-ups (win half of them-(3)): Va Tech, UW, Nebraska, Wisconsin, UCLA, Maryland
Losses: USC

I don’t predict wins and losses but my expectations are we can now go into every game with a team and identity where we can beat the opponent across from us . No more being pushed around , we are hanging with every team , enjoyable games and lots to cheer about. The wins will be there . Go RU! Enjoy the next phase we are entering .

12-0 BABIEEEE!!!!

It's gonna be interesting how we match up with the PAC-12 teams. I think Washington is gonna be a mess, new coach, huge portal losses. I hope they make UCLA (10/19) Homecoming, would rather have then than Wisconsin (10/12). I also think the PAC-12 teams are going to have trouble adjusting to the style of play in the Big 10.

I'm excited with all of the returning starters along with those in the OL pipeline having another year of experience and S&C. The OL is key, not only having top flight starters but top flight depth. I feel that we're approaching that point now. Also having 3 healthy studs in the RB room will pay dividends and keep KM from being ground down by the end of the season.

I think we actually match up and will be competitive against the old pac 10 teams. Without having OSU, UM and PSU we shouldn't get beat up physically as much as we were, enabling us to be more competitive through the end of the season.

Howard - Win blow out
Akron - Win Blow out
VTech - Win but it's close at last minute, team overlooking to game vs Washington
U Washington - Competitive overtime loss, UW will still have a lot talent
Nebraska - Solid Win with 10 point difference but has to come back in the 2nd half, RU being typical RU.
Wisconsin - 2 TD Loss, still cant figure out how to stop them.
UCLA - Win, pull away in the fourth quarter with special teams.
USC - Blow out Loss
Minnesota - Solid 2+ TD Win
Maryland - Loss but stays competitive till the 4th
Illinois - Win by at least 2 TD's
Michigan State - Chippy Win (Should become our new rival)

8-4 on the season head into bowl season and get into and win a warm weather bowl.

13 or 14 wins with an appearance in the CFP!

Let's see for real.

8-4? Va Tech will not be as easy as 2023. Some will quibble with UW, but they are gutted with their HC leaving, having only 3 starters left on team. 50% of the tossups are reasonable.

Wins: (5) Howard, Akron, Minnesota, Illinois, Michigan State
Toss-ups (win half of them-(3)): Va Tech, UW, Nebraska, Wisconsin, UCLA, Maryland
Losses: USC
I think I'd pop MSU to tossup. Still win three of them. Not so sure UW isn't still going to be a loss.

Washington lost 1 game last season. Rutgers lost 6. UW's lone loss was also to the best team in college football. Of course they won't be as good next year but there's really no valid reason to think RU has any sort of a chance against them. That's a loss.

7-5 is my pick for next year. 8-4 would be great and mark major progress.

Should I cut and paste my Facebook answer ?

Reactions: bori_blanco
Washington lost 1 game last season. Rutgers lost 6. UW's lone loss was also to the best team in college football. Of course they won't be as good next year but there's really no valid reason to think RU has any sort of a chance against them. That's a loss.

7-5 is my pick for next year. 8-4 would be great and mark major progress.
UW will be a completely different team. They’ve lost their coach and staff plus I think all but one of their starters. See the portal thread for tweets showing just how much they’ve lost.

Will Rogers is back in the portal.

There will probably be a lot of new faces and it’ll be hard for it to all to come together so quickly for them.

UW will be a completely different team. They’ve lost their coach and staff plus I think all but one of their starters.

I completely agree with this, which is why I said above they'll be a mess. New coach, new offensive and defensive philosophies, almost all new starting players, very limited experience on the 2 deep, etc, etc. I don't see them performing anywhere near where they did this past season.

Reactions: zoby and LOU-RU85

8 wins
the nature of BIG play is going to wear down the new additions more than people realize. One off games yes, they are built differently for different skillsets but the course of a season of pound you into submission football is going change the views of many

Last edited:
USC looks like the hardest game on the schedule. They went 7-5 but their offense was still potent and those are the kinds of teams I don’t think we match up well against. They have to break in a new qb between Miller Moss and a transfer from UNLV but Riley and KK have a good track record with qbs.

The defensive staff looks good on paper but in practice who knows. If they can just get the defense to just mediocre from horrible they will be a team more difficult to beat.

Any other game is doable imo.

Not into predictions but looking for RU to get 7+ wins. Think if we get slightly better qb play RU gets 7 wins. If RU gets 2,500 yds of qb production along with same run production and defensive play, I think RU is in the mix for 8 wins.

Now if RU has a formidable receiving corp with 1k yd wr, a big target tightend over the middle, strong run game and top tier defense, I think RU is pushing to 9+ plus wins.

Bottom line, RU needs to improve or maintain production in all three phases of game (offense, defense and specials) for 7+ regular season wins next season.

The really great thing is that RU can compete against any opponent they face.

GO RU

Reactions: bori_blanco
I am usually vey tough on Greg Schiano, but if he can get 6 wins next year he realistically deserves to be in the running for COY in the conference. The absence of Michigan and Ohio State, not going to include PSU, has led some posters to grossly underestimate the strength of this schedule top to bottom. After the first two games, every game will be a battle and like any battle, attrition levels become a major factor as to who will win the day. There are no cupcakes in that conference schedule where the team can rest up and regroup. Also, VTech is no gimmie, they will be improved and tough at home. Those predicting 8 wins are stetting up Greg for failure if he only gets to 6 wins instead of rightfully celebrating such an accomplishment.

I think we actually match up and will be competitive against the old pac 10 teams. Without having OSU, UM and PSU we shouldn't get beat up physically as much as we were, enabling us to be more competitive through the end of the season.

Howard - Win blow out
Akron - Win Blow out
VTech - Win but it's close at last minute, team overlooking to game vs Washington
U Washington - Competitive overtime loss, UW will still have a lot talent
Nebraska - Solid Win with 10 point difference but has to come back in the 2nd half, RU being typical RU.
Wisconsin - 2 TD Loss, still cant figure out how to stop them.
UCLA - Win, pull away in the fourth quarter with special teams.
USC - Blow out Loss
Minnesota - Solid 2+ TD Win
Maryland - Loss but stays competitive till the 4th
Illinois - Win by at least 2 TD's
Michigan State - Chippy Win (Should become our new rival)

8-4 on the season head into bowl season and get into and win a warm weather bowl.
USC will not be a blowout loss.

Reactions: satnom
Next year needs to be 7+ wins in the regular season and a competitive bowl game with hopefully a win. I would put O/U at 7.5 on the season. If we get a TE and and or two WRs who can beat the press vertically I think we get to the over. If we struggle to occupy the safety from a WR or TE standpoint we are in the 7 wins with a bowl game category against.

I think we are going to really be able to play some D, and I think we can run the ball, if we can truly RPO or play action with the run and then play awesome D we could be a huge issue for teams.

When we force teams to pass, we can really get pressure. If we can ground and pound and dink and dunk off of action and grind clock down, we can be a really successful team.

I am usually vey tough on Greg Schiano, but if he can get 6 wins next year he realistically deserves to be in the running for COY in the conference. The absence of Michigan and Ohio State, not going to include PSU, has led some posters to grossly underestimate the strength of this schedule top to bottom. After the first two games, every game will be a battle and like any battle, attrition levels become a major factor as to who will win the day. There are no cupcakes in that conference schedule where the team can rest up and regroup. Also, VTech is no gimmie, they will be improved and tough at home. Those predicting 8 wins are stetting up Greg for failure if he only gets to 6 wins instead of rightfully celebrating such an accomplishment.
great troll post

no literate fan of Rutgers believes that and I'll bet you hook quite a few ready to blister you. nicely played

Reactions: zoby
great troll post

no literate fan of Rutgers believes that and I'll bet you hook quite a few ready to blister you. nicely played
You're a fool if you don't believe that 6 wins next year would be a great job by Greg. The roster at the second and third level isn't anywhere near where it needs to be for an 8 win season with that schedule. Maybe if we were in the ACC or Big 12, but not the B1G. Injuries are a given in college football, you are only as good as your second level players, that is the difference between 6 and 8 wins, and we are at least a year or two away from having that type of depth at key positions.

You're a fool if you don't believe that 6 wins next year would be a great job by Greg. The roster at the second and third level isn't anywhere near where it needs to be for an 8 win season with that schedule. Maybe if we were in the ACC or Big 12, but not the B1G. Injuries are a given in college football, you are only as good as your second level players, that is the difference between 6 and 8 wins, and we are at least a year or two away from having that type of depth at key positions.
reading comp is hard for you I see. Apparently, you don't recall what you wrote

in any event, FANTASTIC TROLL POST

Even at “just” 7-5, it will be very good for the program:

- progression win-wise total
- some national play by default
- better bowl (location, probably date and opponent too)

Reactions: satnom
Even at “just” 7-5, it will be very good for the program:

- progression win-wise total
- some national play by default
- better bowl (location, probably date and opponent too)
Add in a true upset at home. A total out of the blue type game would be nice. We can be a run heavy team but we have to have dramatically improved, successful, passing game to go with it.

Reactions: satnom and RULegacy
B1G Traditionalists must be freakin out with RU at #10 on that list

Take out the 4 that are joining and we are ranked #6 on that list!!!

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Until we prove we can move the chains on offense with a balanced running and passing game and score TDs, 6-6. No surprise transfer portal losses, like the late-in-the-game Mulcahy and Spencer departure for hoops. Losing Jai Patel would hurt.

My expectation will be to win 4 or more and hope to get to another bowl game. Every single Rutgers fan knows better than to expect a winning season because we have had our hopes dashed over and over and over again.

Reactions: RULegacy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT