ADVERTISEMENT

Replacement for Daryl opened

Jonny S

Senior
Feb 4, 2004
Thoughts? Yelp says it has a tie to The Frog & The Peach. I don't like the fact that the menu is so all over the place. Trying to both be crowd pleasing and high brow at the same time. Regardless, very good to close a prominent vacancy on George, even if there are still too many of those.

http://increstaurant.com/

Stopped by last night and it was packed, didn't wait for a table and went to The Counter instead which was also busy and awesome. I like the menu, it's another midrange option in town and has some unique items.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Kudos on being creative on the menu. I see a heavy Asian/Mexican influence. The menu sounds great, the pics look great. On the surface is looks like a home run. I'll gladly go here over another burger place next time I'm in town

I only know what I've seen on the website, but this place looks like it might fill a niche in NB. In downtown NB, you have places that are simply mediocre (Harvest Moon, Rafferty's) and places that have good food but are more formal (Due Mari, Frog, Stage Left, etc.). This could be a casual spot that strives to provide better food than the usual standbys. There's long been a lack of interesting full-services places with a casual vibe in downtown NB. Maybe that has been changing recently.

Originally posted by lawmatt78:
I only know what I've seen on the website, but this place looks like it might fill a niche in NB. In downtown NB, you have places that are simply mediocre (Harvest Moon, Rafferty's) and places that have good food but are more formal (Due Mari, Frog, Stage Left, etc.). This could be a casual spot that strives to provide better food than the usual standbys. There's long been a lack of interesting full-services places with a casual vibe in downtown NB. Maybe that has been changing recently.
Rafferty's is far from mediocre. I've been more than happy with what I've eaten every time I've gone.

Originally posted by Sir ScarletKnight:
Rafferty's is far from mediocre. I've been more than happy with what I've eaten every time I've gone.
I take back my remarks. Rafferty's is an inspired, impeccably sourced, staggeringly competent, creative gem of a restaurant.

James Beard is most likely watching from Heaven, wishing he could descend to Earth and apprentice there.

certainly came on to the scene with a bang. stopped in and it was packed. helps create a vibe on that end of George

I take back my remarks. Rafferty's is an inspired, impeccably sourced, staggeringly competent, creative gem of a restaurant.

James Beard is most likely watching from Heaven, wishing he could descend to Earth and apprentice there.
e31.jpg

Raffertys is reliably consistent. That's why it has sustained as long as it has. Well played matt on the James beard comment.

Originally posted by bob-loblaw:
Raffertys is reliably consistent. That's why it has sustained as long as it has. Well played matt on the James beard comment.
That's fair. I wasn't suggesting it is a bad restaurant. I always found it...meh, for lack of a better term. Can't question its longevity.

I second that. Rafferty's is my favorite restaurant in NB, and one I never miss when I'm back on the Banks.

Food is always good, and it has a great, pro-RU atmosphere.

I loved it when it was on the corner of Somerset and Easton during my earlier years at RU and moved to its current location my junior year.

Still love it....so no, it's definitely not mediocre in my eyes either.

I enjoyed Rafferty's when I was a student, but now the food looks exactly like the menu at a million chain restaurants. The deli is awesome though and I went there all the time until I moved - great, great desserts. I liked Tumulty's and Harvest Moon a little more.

Originally posted by Jonny S:
I enjoyed Rafferty's when I was a student, but now the food looks exactly like the menu at a million chain restaurants. The deli is awesome though and I went there all the time until I moved - great, great desserts. I liked Tumulty's and Harvest Moon a little more.
Pretty much.

I agree on rafertys. Loved going there as an undergrad and getting some nachos and drinks for a different atmosphere rather than the easton ave bars or olive branch. Went there last month for the first time in years and will never go back. I have the same feelings on harvest moons food.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Rafferty's was always a reliable, consistent, mediocre American grill restaurant with some good desserts. Nothing more. Basically, like a Houlihan's but not as good burgers.

This post was edited on 3/3 10:21 AM by Leonard23

Went here last night and was really impressed. The place is straight out of Williamsburg, with the decor, music, drink & food menu. The whiskey selection was great, and the cocktail I enjoyed was amazing. We only had a few apps, but they were all good, and presented well.

Originally posted by Leonard23:
Rafferty's was always a reliable, consistent, mediocre American grill restaurant with some good desserts. Nothing more. Basically, like a Houlihan's but not as good burgers.

This post was edited on 3/3 10:21 AM by Leonard23
Their french onion soup is always delicious. Last time I was there I had a really good steak. I've had a delicious BBQ platter there, tasty lobster ravioli, and an awesome Reuben. As you said, their desserts are very good, especially that chocolate cake.

Mediocre: of only moderate quality; not very good.

It's certainly not some gourmet restaurant with off the walls atmosphere, but it's consistently and reliably good.

Re: INC: The Evolution of the American Menu

Their take on fat sandwiches do look interesting. This and The Counter are on my list when I stop in New Brunswick next, should be soon now that the weather is not freezing. I really do miss it and hate North Jersey, although I love being able to sleep more and not having to sit in my car for two hours a day.

Rafferty screams mediocrity, there is one right by me in Hillsborough but I have not been there for 15 years

Originally posted by bac2therac:

Rafferty screams mediocrity, there is one right by me in Hillsborough but I have not been there for 15 years
Have you been to Rafferty's in 15 years?

I went to Rafferty's in its old location, its current location and the one in Hillsborough, which I lived down the road from for nine years. It does what it does very well, but what it does is nothing special.

Still, if you're in the mood for certain things, you can do a lot worse.

But the James Beard line was awesome.

This thread is so hard to follow. It starts out about INC, then gets hijacked in favor of Rafferty's and (I think) eventually gets back to INc.

It's like every other post on this sub forum. Every thread takes on a weird mind of its own. It's kinda fun/funny

Regardless, INC is a badass spot. To me, it's the bar that NB needed. It has that it factor and is different enough from the other NB bars/restaurants to allow for sustainability.

I'm curious to try some of these spots. It sounds like NB is getting more interesting than when I lived there.

It does sound like INC provides something unique in NB.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT