ADVERTISEMENT

Two B1G teams in NCAA Lacrosse Final four !

RUnion

Senior
Sep 24, 2004
Successful first Season for the B1G in Lacrosse. Unfortunately we can't have an all Big Ten Final since Maryland and Johns Hopkins face off in one of the Semi's. Pretty nice that both of these B1G teams knocked off ACC teams to reach the final four. Maryland defeated the #3 seed UNC and Hopkins defeated the #2 seed Syracuse. Nice to see those stalwarts of the traditional LAX power conference go down to the newbie in teh LAX world. The B1G. Great addition to get Hopkins in with us.

Successful first Season for the B1G in Lacrosse. Unfortunately we can't have an all Big Ten Final since Maryland and Johns Hopkins face off in one of the Semi's. Pretty nice that both of these B1G teams knocked off ACC teams to reach the final four. Maryland defeated the #3 seed UNC and Hopkins defeated the #2 seed Syracuse. Nice to see those stalwarts of the traditional LAX power conference go down to the newbie in teh LAX world. The B1G. Great addition to get Hopkins in with us.

Too bad Hopkins does not have a rivals site listed with the
other B1G teams.
11094008.jpeg

Why is Johns Hopkins in the BIG?

The B1G needed a 6th Men's Lacrosse team to get an
NCAA Tournament auto-bid and JHU needed a great
Men's Lacrosse conference to compete in.

The affiliation has worked out great for all 6 world-class research
institutions and AAU members involved;
Maryland, Johns Hopkins, Rutgers, Penn St, Ohio St & Michigan.

Maryland advanced to the final NCAA championship game today by
beating Johns Hopkins 12-11 in a game between the oldest rivals in Men's Lacrosse.

Maryland will face Denver on Monday at 1pm for the Men's Lacrosse National Championship.

The Women's Lacrosse National Championship will be decided between Maryland & North Carolina on Sunday at 8:30pm.

Maryland vs. Denver, Big Ten vs. Big East for the national title. Only 1 sport you could write that for lol.

Jim Delany was interviewed at halftime. A few points:

1) Lacrosse is a nice focus for the B1G, helping spread the league east
2) Not sure of the school, but he seemed certain another school in the conference would add the sport on the men's side within 10 years. My guess is Minnesota or Northwestern
3) Nice to be in a conference where the leadership cares about every sport that it sponsors. It's why the B1G has the most national championships of any conference

Reactions: Jersey Boys
During the broadcast there was an interview with Delaney who as usual did a great job promoting B1G lacrosse. Unfortunately Ryan Flanagan from ESPN mentioned all of the other B1G lax programs and even Minnesota and Northwestern without a word about RU. He's a UNC guy so maybe his rectum is still hurting from that bowl game beating that we put on his Alma mater Deliverance stylee.

We need to get some wins under our belt before we expect to not be overlooked in sound bites.

We have some nice pieces, but from the ground level up, need to build our program. That means more scholarship money, facilities, and money to fill coaching roles.

We aren't playing on an even playing field right now.

Reactions: RUMountie

2) Not sure of the school, but he seemed certain another school in the conference would add the sport on the men's side within 10 years. My guess is Minnesota or Northwestern
3) Nice to be in a conference where the leadership cares about every sport that it sponsors. It's why the B1G has the most national championships of any conference
At this time I see the Gophers being more prepared to make the jump to the NCAA level from the MCLA.

But I could be wrong.

During the broadcast there was an interview with Delaney who as usual did a great job promoting B1G lacrosse. Unfortunately Ryan Flanagan from ESPN mentioned all of the other B1G lax programs and even Minnesota and Northwestern without a word about RU. He's a UNC guy so maybe his rectum is still hurting from that bowl game beating that we put on his Alma mater Deliverance stylee.
Late in the game we were mentioned by one of the guys in the booth when they talked about Marlyand's tough stretch of one goal games.

The way it was said sounded complimentary IMO.

After Maryland dominated North Carolina, he was visibly upset when his partner mentioned that the B1G was 4-0 over the ACC in the tournament.

We lost to the two B1G final four teams by a combined 3 goals. If we had played that well against the other teams on our schedule, the season would have been much different.

Really who gives a sh!t how many B1G teams make it if Rutgers isn't there. Never understood the excitement people get when other in conference teams have success. I don't want to hang around dudes whose GF's/wives have big duffy's, I want mine to have the big duffy's.

Reactions: Knight_Light
Really who gives a crap how many B1G teams make it if Rutgers isn't there..
Obviously most of the people responding int this thread do.

And watch the language please.

Really who gives a sh!t how many B1G teams make it if Rutgers isn't there. Never understood the excitement people get when other in conference teams have success. I don't want to hang around dudes whose GF's/wives have big duffy's, I want mine to have the big duffy's.

Horrible analogy, and you are looking at it the wrong way. To continue with your bad analogy though, your wife may be inclined to get bigger "duffys", if that is what she is competing against.

Athletes want to play against the best, and the thought is that a rising tide in conferences lifts all boats. The administration takes notice when the teams you competing against are winning championships, and will hopefully start supporting the program accordingly.

Again, the best athletes want to play against the best. If that is in the B1G, than that is a great thing for Rutgers.

People aren't rooting for the B1G just because. It can have a very positive impact on the Rutgers programs when those teams win big.

This was a huge get for the B1G when it happened last year. Does anyone know whether they have plans to join the CIC?

There haven't been any serious discussions between JHU & the CIC about JHU membership yet. But, that doesn't mean that they won't occur someday.

JHU's Women's Lacrosse team could join the B1G someday too.
Penn State's Women's Lacrosse team eliminated JHU in the opening round of tournament this year, 14-11.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...p-big-ten-jim-delany-0523-20150522-story.html

Thanks for the update. Definitely hope those talks take place at some point. It's a remarkable research institution.

Thanks for the update. Definitely hope those talks take place at some point. It's a remarkable research institution.

I am in Heaven over all of this!! Not only am I a huge lacrosse fan, but my BS is from Rutgers and my MS is from Hopkins. JHU has to become a member of the CIC and soon.

Maryland has won the the Women's Lacrosse National Championship!

Men's LAX is one of the sports that Rutgers has one a National Championship. \Nn 1928 as it was named co-champions along with who else but Maryland and John Hopkins.

Looks like Denver is going to do it.

They are exhibit A of what happens when you have a strategy and implement that strategy, and do it through proper funding and support, all designed to win big.

Looks like Denver is going to do it.

They are exhibit A of what happens when you have a strategy and implement that strategy, and do it through proper funding and support, all designed to win big.

Went to the semis Saturday and after Denver won in OT & seeing the Maryland/ Hopkins game even my wife said that Denver would win today big. They have built a nice program there with Tierney's experience as head coach and heir apparent Matt Brown.

I wouldn't be surprised if some deep pocket program comes calling for Brown. I'd have my eyes on Michigan if I were a Denver fan.

They are pumping money in that program and have everything set up, except for the coach.

Tillman seems like a great coach Monday through Friday. His teams, if you get out early on them, seem to play really uninspired. He seems incapable of making adjustments.

Maryland either wins with the style they play, or lose. There seems to be very little middle ground. He has a great record and is one of the top coaches in NCAA based off of that, but from what I saw today (again), I would be very concerned about winning the big game under him.

He would be highly served hiring a solid O coach and get out of the way. The worst part is Maryland has the athletes to compete with anyone. They don't need to play this boring, slow down, work the clock offense. There are studs all over the field for them. If I was coach, I would coach to those strengths.

It is a travesty that Maryland hasn't won a national title since the 70's.

Reactions: jorand

Um - doesnt the PAC12 have by far the most national championships? Or do you just mean this year.

I mean I think you have cause and effect backwards and all as well.

Yea, the Pac does, I was thinking football.
Only if you count those from before the polling era (which - I mean, we laugh when Pitt does this), or if you give the Big Ten credit for championships won by members before they joined the Big Ten.

That is counting every team in the league they are in now, regardless of where they won their championships.

sadly my old school lost in the DIV 3 final... first time we ever made it to the LAX championship.

I wouldn't be surprised if Northwestern adds men's lacrosse. The women's team is a national title contender most years. Also, Northwestern might geographically be outside Chicago, but it has an East Coast vibe to it. Many students at Northwestern come from the East Coast and went to high schools that fielded lacrosse teams.

I wouldn't be surprised if Northwestern adds men's lacrosse. The women's team is a national title contender most years. Also, Northwestern might geographically be outside Chicago, but it has an East Coast vibe to it. Many students at Northwestern come from the East Coast and went to high schools that fielded lacrosse teams.

The issue there is that I believe the woman's program (besides being a quality program) keep them compliant with Title IX.

Lacrosse is growing leaps and bounds in the U.S. If there is a sport that RU should double-down on, its lacrosse. It would require less investment than football and basketball and if RU can field a consistent top 10 team with that investment, I could see a pretty good profit. YES. Profit. Especially in a conference with some of the best in the country........JHU, Maryland and a pleasant surprise (OSU). With the money the conference brings in, this conference will only get better.

youth lacrosse will take over baseball in the near future (~10 yrs) with its growth rate.

RU has a strong lacrosse history. I would hate to see lacrosse grow west and teams like PSU and Michigan gaining ground on what RU has historically accomplished.

BTW, in the early 90s, I went to Tierney's Princeton Lacrosse camp and there were a bunch fo Colorado invitees to this camp. I thought it was strange at the time. I think Tierney had a vision to expand lacrosse to the west all the way back then. I'll think well see further expansion west and its great for the sport. Theres still time for RU to make that commitment though.

Lacrosse is growing leaps and bounds in the U.S. If there is a sport that RU should double-down on, its lacrosse. It would require less investment than football and basketball and if RU can field a consistent top 10 team with that investment, I could see a pretty good profit. YES. Profit. Especially in a conference with some of the best in the country........JHU, Maryland and a pleasant surprise (OSU). With the money the conference brings in, this conference will only get better.

youth lacrosse will take over baseball in the near future (~10 yrs) with its growth rate.

RU has a strong lacrosse history. I would hate to see lacrosse grow west and teams like PSU and Michigan gaining ground on what RU has historically accomplished.

BTW, in the early 90s, I went to Tierney's Princeton Lacrosse camp and there were a bunch fo Colorado invitees to this camp. I thought it was strange at the time. I think Tierney had a vision to expand lacrosse to the west all the way back then. I'll think well see further expansion west and its great for the sport. Theres still time for RU to make that commitment though.

Tierney isn't the only coach. In fact, RU's long time coach, Coach Hayes, has been instrumental in spreading the game, and still is to this day. We will see lacrosse in the Olympics one day very soon, and he will get a lot of credit for that. One thing the sport seems to have always had is guys who see a need to spread the game, and act on it.

Regarding the B1G, I am not sure it has overtaken the acc yet, but it is right there. You can say they had a better year given 2 final 4 teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT