ADVERTISEMENT

Uber... has anyone used it?

I don't use uber and won't---you take my joke about min wage too seriously but my feeling is the drivers are being screwed to save the riders a few bucks--I take cabs all the time and have great conversations with the cabbies

I don't understand. Uber drivers aren't kept in the dark about how much they are making. If driving uber was as bad as you are making it out to be, there simply wouldn't be any uber drivers. Considering the startup cost of becoming an uber drive is virtually nothing, there is no incentive to continue uber driving if the returns are terrible. It seems to me you are stating a completely false opinion as fact which is counter to personal uber driver anecdotes and current increases in the number of uber drivers.

Yes - I understand. But thats not what you are saying, nor what Uber really claims.

Uber is really doing it because they can. They try to claim they do it because it will help match supply and demand. But in reality, like I said - I doubt that the market is responsive enough on either side for that to matter.

I dont believe this is true at all. If uber was jacking prices for the sake of it, people would go back to cabs. One of the reasons uber has become so popular was because it was cheaper, and I don't think consumers who need to go from A->B care enough about brand loyalty to use a more expensive option. Moreover, why don't you think the market is responsive? It's extremely trivial to analyze in real time the number of people requesting uber versus current uber drivers in an area. All Uber has to do it set the surge multiplier based off some formula and it can (and is) calculated instantaneously. I mean, how else would you think they do it? randomly?

what a dope--if you have never had a good conversation with a nyc cabbie its your fault not his--or you're just too cheap to ever take a cab or can't carry a convo

what a dope--if you have never had a good conversation with a nyc cabbie its your fault not his--or you're just too cheap to ever take a cab or can't carry a convo

Ah...Now its starting to make sense. You speak arabic. So you get along with the yellow cab guys, and hence the reason you don't like Uber

You don't have a fundamental right to a taxi ride. It is t a public service. They should be able to charge whatever they want when they want (except for rare disasters). Supply/Demand - there are plenty of their transit options and people can avail themselves of those options.

To complain about surge pricing in NYC is ridiculous

You don't have a fundamental right to a taxi ride. It is t a public service. They should be able to charge whatever they want when they want (except for rare disasters). Supply/Demand - there are plenty of their transit options and people can avail themselves of those options.

To complain about surge pricing in NYC is ridiculous

I actually disagree, but I dont consider Uber a taxi service. Now if Uber actually puts taxis out of business instead of forcing them to up their game (which is how I expect it to go down) then it would be an issue (since alot of people still dont have smart phones or credit cards).

Agree with the above though. Its not my concern how much the driver makes.

I agree that if Uber puts taxis out of service then that is an issue, I just don't believe they will or it would be decades before they did. Hopefully they put some of them out of business and severely devalue the medallion.

In the last 2 years I have been using uber I never once thought I would rather be in a taxi.

If the price is too high, then I'm turning it down--which I've done before. All Uber is is dynamic pricing but for transportation instead of for a sporting event. More people want to go to OSU instead of Norfolk State, so the OSU price is significantly higher. More people need a ride at 5:10 pm instead of 10:30 am, so the price is higher if there are more riders than drivers at that time.

Ding!

Most UBER users realize this...and if they want a ride home at 1 AM on a Saturday/Sunday, they will pay a premium (people leaving bars) as even drunks know its better to get an UBER ride than try to drive home yourself.

Yes - I understand. But thats not what you are saying, nor what Uber really claims.

Uber is really doing it because they can. They try to claim they do it because it will help match supply and demand. But in reality, like I said - I doubt that the market is responsive enough on either side for that to matter.

Well, then you are just choosing to ignore facts. Just talk to any UBER driver (or even UBER user) and they can easily tell you the busiest times...(let alone how drivers get regular reports as to ridership/usage on days/times in their area).

NOTE: Believe UBER was able to increase prices (even announced estimates in advance) nationwide on New Year's Eve...something that happens almost every weekend in bar heavy areas of town/cities and/or before/after major events/concerts/sporting events, etc...

Below is what UBER put out prior to New Year's Eve that gave approx price increases/decreases based on time/usage.

uber_nye_2014_demandgraphs_0000_1.png

I didn't say "never". I said video a conversation starting now. As in, don't base your opinions on NYC cab drivers TODAY because of your interactions with them back in the 70s when you were running around.

I too was once skeptical but tried it and uber is way, way better than a cab or car service. I travel for work occasionally and while a cab or car service is $50+ to Newark (Excluding tip), Uber is around $25 all-in and the cars and drivers have been without question better than any local cab company. Even when leaving at like 5:30 AM I have not had to wait more than 12 minutes for a car and you can text the driver directly and tell him exactly where you will be to pick you up and see a picture of the driver and car coming to get you.

Anyone trashing Uber is either uninformed or owns a taxi medallion. I can't fathom how you would not like this service if you use it....which means it probably will go away at some point or morph into something that stinks like everything else.

Newark Airport to Pompton Lakes via Uber with a first time coupon was practically free. Regular cost about $40. Great deal.

It sort of amazes me that anyone would have a problem with a product that costs less and provides better service.

yeah -- just like one should have no problem buying clothes produced by child labor since its cheaper

yeah -- just like one should have no problem buying clothes produced by child labor since its cheaper
It's funny that you would make this comparison, considering taxi medallion owners operate their business like sweatshops and Uber drivers work whatever hours they choose, whatever days they choose, in their own personal car, and earn more money doing so.

RU66 - just stop. If you don't like Uber, fine, but you sound so uninformed. Comparing a guy making some money with his 2010 Camry in his free time to a sweatshop operator?

Uber and Uber imitators will make yellow cabs like gypsie cabs are now unless the state and local governments protect medallion owners for bogus reasons. Uber is more economically efficient , cheaper and safer than yellow cabs If you ever have to get a cab in the rain in Manhatten it's a god send. More expense in the rain, yeah, but you know when the Uber car will come.

the point was about thinking all is great and good if its cheaper even its at someone 's expense and not about uber

the point was about thinking all is great and good if its cheaper even its at someone 's expense and not about uber
Except many people have specifically said it isn't just about it being cheaper, but it being a better, more reliable, and enjoyable experience.

Maybe if you knew how to quote you can respond directly to those who only choose Uber over cabs because it is cheaper.

At the expense of someone providing lower quality service at a higher cost. If uber drivers didn't think it was worth it, they wouldn't do it.

So 66 does that mean we should pay top dollar for everything we buy, even if it is an inferior product or service? If dealer A will sell a car for $30,000 and dealer B will sell it for $29,000 do you pay the extra $1,000 because it means the salesman, sales manager and dealership owner will make more money? Maybe you would, but you likely will tell yourself you did it out of convenience or because they have a better dealership service experience. I doubt you willingly pay more because the salespeople and owners will make more money. Similarly, do you avoid generic brands for name brands in general if the product gives you the same benefit?

Our capitalist system is built on competition and if someone can do something much better and charge a premium - they do it (so we may buy the luxury product). Similarly if they can do it more efficiently and pass the savings along to the consumer, then they should be rewarded for doing so, not chided. If Uber can deliver what 95%+ of us agree is the superior experience and result and do so at a better price because of a more efficient platform, then we should be applauding it.

Reactions: Knight_Light
So 66 does that mean we should pay top dollar for everything we buy, even if it is an inferior product or service? If dealer A will sell a car for $30,000 and dealer B will sell it for $29,000 do you pay the extra $1,000 because it means the salesman, sales manager and dealership owner will make more money? Maybe you would, but you likely will tell yourself you did it out of convenience or because they have a better dealership service experience. I doubt you willingly pay more because the salespeople and owners will make more money. Similarly, do you avoid generic brands for name brands in general if the product gives you the same benefit?

Our capitalist system is built on competition and if someone can do something much better and charge a premium - they do it (so we may buy the luxury product). Similarly if they can do it more efficiently and pass the savings along to the consumer, then they should be rewarded for doing so, not chided. If Uber can deliver what 95%+ of us agree is the superior experience and result and do so at a better price because of a more efficient platform, then we should be applauding it.

...and to add onto this...if people like the Uber experience and use the service more, would that not result in more demand for Uber/similar services, thus creating more demand for drivers and increase employment? Isn't a bigger economic pie a good thing? Not to mention the money people save using Uber could be used for other goods and services, creating additional employment.

...and to add onto this...if people like the Uber experience and use the service more, would that not result in more demand for Uber/similar services, thus creating more demand for drivers and increase employment? Isn't a bigger economic pie a good thing? Not to mention the money people save using Uber could be used for other goods and services, creating additional employment.

JMC, exactly. I know people who now take Uber to restaurants in the burbs instead of driving who never in a million years would have taken a taxi service. They can enjoy an extra glass on wine benefiting the restaurant because they are not driving. It is just so convenient.

I'd imagine the Uber drivers make more per hour than their taxi counterparts. Most cab drivers do not own the taxi or the medallion. They rely on tips to make ends meet and you can see the quality of the people doing this job. Whereas Uber drivers own their cars and have a greater quality of life because they control the hours that they work. I just don't understand the "Uber drivers are being exploited, use taxis" argument. If anything, it is the exact opposite.

my buddy just started driving for Uber in New Brunswick...
he has picked up some RU athletes like Myles Mack and Marquis Ford

Seemed totally sketchy when I first heard of it, but I know more than a few people who have used it, and have had great experiences. Anyone here use it? Good? Bad?

Used it and cabs in Chicago a few months ago. One of two cabbies was OK, the other was a jerk. After a few minutes in all 3 Uber cars, we felt like we were driving with friends, joking, getting to know them (student, security guards), fighting over the radio (all 3 drivers were black and had a certain genre of music playing, we were 4 old white people) . All 3 cars were spotless. It was actually fun.

I've been thinking about driving for uber. Can anyone explain how the drivers get paid? Is it by the mile? A % of the fare? tips? I'd go to the website or call but I'd rather hear from real people who have driven or used the service.. THX.

I've been thinking about driving for uber. Can anyone explain how the drivers get paid? Is it by the mile? A % of the fare? tips? I'd go to the website or call but I'd rather hear from real people who have driven or used the service.. THX.
Drivers get 80% of the fare.

goodness--just listen to all those glowing stories about cheap it is--factor in when nyc requires licenses, testing,the cost of gas and the car and the tlc taxes to come and it doesn't take much to realize uber makes the $ but the drivers will get screwed--by the way take a "real cab" and ask the driver how much(little) uber drivers make compared to their own earnings which stink also

lol what? I've met several uber drivers who used to be cabbies. Are you saying they made the switch for less money?

One thing to think about (maybe it helps with concerns about safety), is that UBER knows who you are and who picked you up. Picking up a taxi on the curb, not even their dispatch (let alone the cabbie) knows your name or even your exact destination.

Maybe that helps...maybe it doesn't...but at least UBER as an up to second data on your personal info/location/destination and who picked you up.

Story from yesterday's LA Times about California administrative judge ruling against Uber over stuff like failing to provide reports to the public utilities commission. The ruling includes a recommendation that Uber be suspended from operating in California.

It really makes me wonder what Uber is thinking. In the scheme of things in Uber's business model, providing these reports is pretty trivial. As the analyst says at the end of the article: "“No amount of bluster is going to get the CPUC off their case,” Pachter said. “You don't pick a fight with someone who can kick your butt. Uber needs to restrain its hubris.”

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-uber-suspended-20150715-story.html

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT