ADVERTISEMENT

Uber... has anyone used it?

Sure, others will come along. I believe there already is. They are already competing on cost with taxis. The service features are just a nice to have.
Yes. My point is eventually service will lose out for most people. Obviously if you are willing to pay a littel more for it (and you seem like the kind of person who would) then it will be there. But for most people it will end up being shitty drivers driving shitty cars for little money, just like taxis now.

Of course in the longer time frame, the days of people driving cars are numbered anyway and the Ubers will be the first to adopt the technology.

Are the drivers all required to have nav systems?

It is not against the rules for an Uber driver to take a tip. When I started, they sent me a tutorial. It specifically said that I should say, "Tipping isn't necessary" but if the rider persists, I can feel free to take it. I'd say I've received tips on about 10% of my trips. I use it to buy gas usually.

Wait, there are still people who haven't used uber? Wtf

Sure. I haven't. I don't have an Uber account, and I'm not going to create an account unless I have desire to use Uber. That mean that I either need to test Uber with someone else, or have the desire to try Uber when I need a cab and can't get one.

Only once in my life have I been with someone who used Uber (the example I gave earlier in this thread). But as I mentioned earlier, there was not really a difference between the group that went in the Uber car vs the taxicab.

I don't use taxicabs too often, and when I do, it is usually in Manhattan. I've been told that taxis are cheaper than Uber in Manhattan. One time I had difficulty getting a cab in NYC, and started to download the Uber app, but I got a cab before I could sign up for Uber, so I deleted the app.

There was also a time that I considered using Uber in central NJ, and checked the Uberestimator web page to get a fare estimate, but they said there were no Uber cars in my area.

I barely drive anymore thanks to Uber here in Santa Monica. Its 5-15 dollars to anywhere in LA with Uber "pool". Yes i can go from santa monica to hollywood or silver lake for $15, not pay for parking or gas, and play on my phone or take a nap if we hit traffic. Its a no brainer

Cab from JC to EWR is $50 with toll/tip. And I need to reserve it in advance and pray they don't arrive 30 minutes late.
Uber is $18 and I can request a ride 5 min before it shows up.

As an FYI seeing as they are NOT TAXI;s there is no liability insurance so beware of accidents you are not covered whereas a taxi comes with insurance. Been in once but I would never call one on my own. I'd rather get a legitimate taxi....What backgrounds checks are done on drivers for Uber...how do you know they are not going to rob you. To me a shady service that does not require a special license

As an FYI seeing as they are NOT TAXI;s there is no liability insurance so beware of accidents you are not covered whereas a taxi comes with insurance. Been in once but I would never call one on my own. I'd rather get a legitimate taxi....What backgrounds checks are done on drivers for Uber...how do you know they are not going to rob you. To me a shady service that does not require a special license

Uber does background checks. You can't just download the app and call yourself an Uber driver.

I have been in far more Uber's than I have taxi's and from my experience, are much more reputable people. The fact that you rate them and can see what other people have rated them is a transparency that cabs just can't offer.

Wait. Wut? If they are driving a car, they have liability insurance. Unless there is some disclaimer of liability, if the Uber driver is negligent or the driver who causes the accident with the Uber driver is negligent, I will get paid one way or another for someone's negligence, even if I have to sue.

Reactions: redking
Uber is the greatest innovation since the first iPhone. I travel all the time and use it all over the country.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUskoolie
Not only do I use it, but I now drive for uber as well. As far as qualifications of driver and car, I can tell you that they do a background check on every driver that takes about 3 days to complete. They also require that your car is 10 years old or newer.

Where are you located?(where do you drive )

I barely drive anymore thanks to Uber here in Santa Monica. Its 5-15 dollars to anywhere in LA with Uber "pool". Yes i can go from santa monica to hollywood or silver lake for $15, not pay for parking or gas, and play on my phone or take a nap if we hit traffic. Its a no brainer
wow.....thats a game changer !

Where are you located?(where do you drive )

I live in Bound Brook and I thought I'd be doing a lot of driving in New Brunswick, but as it turns out, I've been getting most of my trips up the hil in Warren, Watchung, and the other affluent areas up there. Apparently, parents send ubers for their drunk high school kids more often than I would have thought.

Reactions: mikefla
Knightshift no you won't. They do not have to have the same tort threshold as a cab company does. Uber will fold one day. It's a fad right now that will fade. It is not a legitimate business your rolling the dice everytime you get in there but go ahead

Only issue I've ever had with Uber, was down in ft lauderdale. For sum reason, they are aren't aloud (in ft lauderdale ) to pick you up from the airport. Other than that.. Cheap, comfortable , and stress free rides. After riding Uber, cabs just seem like a big joke now

So these Uber drivers just drive aimlessly around waiting for someone to request them?

Strangely, I haven't used Uber yet. Then again, in Manhattan it's more efficient to get around on the subway with an unlimited Metrocard or hail a cab pretty much anywhere, and in Jersey I mostly enjoy driving my own car. But I guess if I needed a ride from EWR or some outer borough sometime, it would be a good idea.

Knightshift no you won't. They do not have to have the same tort threshold as a cab company does. Uber will fold one day. It's a fad right now that will fade. It is not a legitimate business your rolling the dice everytime you get in there but go ahead
I don't want to argue, but are you in insurance or are you a personal injury attorney? Personally, I don't have a need for Uber, and I take cabs so infrequently, I can't be bothered to download the app and try it.

So these Uber drivers just drive aimlessly around waiting for someone to request them?

More or less, yes. I think a lot of drivers learn where demand peaks at various times and days of the week (Hoboken bars on Fri/Sat nights, airport runs on weekday mornings, etc.) and position themselves accordingly.

Just got back from a business trip to San Fran. Took a cab from the airport to my hotel in san fran - cost ~$45, took Uber back from Office ( near Hotel) in San Fran to Airport - $28 and it was a Lexus sedan with a water bottle ready for me!

Only issue I've ever had with Uber, was down in ft lauderdale. For sum reason, they are aren't aloud (in ft lauderdale ) to pick you up from the airport. Other than that.. Cheap, comfortable , and stress free rides. After riding Uber, cabs just seem like a big joke now

To date, the cab companies have been effective in barring Uber from airport pick-ups, but that silly rule is changing. LAX couldn't have Uber until recently. Now they are everywhere. Maybe it is just more prevelent in L.A., but I don't know anyone who has used anything but Uber for a year or two now. There is zero reason to use cabs now. The wheel has been reinvented and it is just much better.

Does it have the same inherent safety risks for the drivers as driving a cab sometimes has?

I would think it is less risk for the driver. Cabs pick up anyone who raises their hand without any info on their identity. With Uber, your name, CC info, billing address, phone/email info are known. If you try to rob or hurt the driver, it is known who the customer in the vehicle at the time was. That seems like a deterrent to me.

Not to mention riders can rate drivers and drivers can rate riders.

uber is great. Only negative experience was one middle aged man who picked me up, driving all over the road, thought he was gonna kill us both. Other than that it's been great. Lots of funny stories talking to the uber drivers, one lady had been working in finance for 20+ years and knew all my traders at my job now, completely by coincidence. Would recommend to everyone.

With that statement, I would recommend to nobody. Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

I had a cab pick me up at my Hoboken apartment for an early flight out of Newark probably about 10 years ago. The woman driver had been up all night and she was all over the road. Looking back, I should have had her pull over but I was worried about missing my flight.

I didn't realize that Uber drivers rate their customers but it makes sense. From my limited sample, Uber drivers are much more professional than cab drivers and really seem to want to please their customers.

With that statement, I would recommend to nobody. Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

I've used it at least 20 times, everything has been great outside of that one. On the contrary, every time I get into an NYC cab I'm expecting to be in an accident

I would think it is less risk for the driver. Cabs pick up anyone who raises their hand without any info on their identity. With Uber, your name, CC info, billing address, phone/email info are known. If you try to rob or hurt the driver, it is known who the customer in the vehicle at the time was. That seems like a deterrent to me.
Oh okay.

I guess some of them. Although I suspect the smart wants just kind of hang out in high traffic areas (say near bars or airports). And probably they dont drive.

Technically I am approved to drive for Uber, although I havent done it yet (dont feel like cleaning up my car). You had to get a background check - but since mine is clean aside from some speeding tickets and a minor accident f6 years ago, I have no idea what the threshhold would be for not qualifying.

I disagree that Uber is a bad, although i do think things will catch up to them legally and marketwise.

I guess some of them. Although I suspect the smart wants just kind of hang out in high traffic areas (say near bars or airports). And probably they dont drive.

Technically I am approved to drive for Uber, although I havent done it yet (dont feel like cleaning up my car). You had to get a background check - but since mine is clean aside from some speeding tickets and a minor accident f6 years ago, I have no idea what the threshhold would be for not qualifying.

I disagree that Uber is a bad, although i do think things will catch up to them legally and marketwise.

The only negative I see so far is that more cars are aimlessly driving around than would be if Uber didn't exist. Could see an increase in traffic (and traffic jams/gridlock situations), especially in NYC where there is already a lot of traffic.

Cab from JC to EWR is $50 with toll/tip. And I need to reserve it in advance and pray they don't arrive 30 minutes late.
Uber is $18 and I can request a ride 5 min before it shows up.

That's the biggest reason (along with cheaper price), as we used it in ATL for our clients earlier this week for our clients from England...and even in the suburbs, we never had to wait more than 10 mins...and it was peanuts for rides from North ATL to Hartsfield (SW of ATL), whereas getting a cab to show up would have probably taken 20-25 mins...plus double the charge.

Also, huge advantage of Uber....prepay...so you can easily pay for others that need rides (family members or friends or colleagues, etc...).

Now Lyft does better background checks (has live in person interviews, live checks of your car and also tests candidates driving skills), while Uber just does digital background check...so you might end up with a safer/better car (at the lower end of pricing) with Lyft than Uber.

Uber/Lyft work best in suburbs/smaller cities...where there are not thousands of cabs driving main roads looking for fares.

Last edited:
Because I live in the suburbs, I'm still learning where to be. So here's how I do it. I turn on the app while I'm at home. I sit on my couch and watch TV. When I get requested, I'm guaranteed to be relatively close to home. Then wherever I drop off that first customer, if I don't get requested right away, I drive towards home. Inevitably, I get pinged again before I get there, and I head back out.
Or, while I'm out running errands, I turn it on when I'm finished. If I get pinged on my way home, I make a few bucks while I'm out. The other day I took 2 rides after playing golf and made enough to almost cover the round.

From link ("Uber haters should take a lesson from the early days of Amazon"):

Amazon’s two-decade ascent from Internet curiosity to global juggernaut demonstrates an important lesson that foes of Uber would be wise to heed in today’s breakneck digital economy: To fight such disruptive adversaries, hire scientists and engineers, not lawyers and lobbyists. Companies must counter-innovate, not hide behind laws written for an era that has faded into distant memory.

But while the old-timers spend precious time and money on arcane issues like insurance and taxes, firms like Uber and Amazon only get bigger and better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT