ADVERTISEMENT

Very Interesting DE Ron Johnson Quote

We are most in state guys second favorite school. I could stand a few more who like us best. I have a feeling that this is our lot in life until we start winning some games we aren't supposed to and get some swagger about the team. I hope Flood is capable of making that happen.
Unfortunately there is no sign of that. Has he ever won a game that honestly you thought we shouldnt going in? And I dont mean basde on team name, like Michigan last year, but based on the performance of the two teams up to that point in the season.

The same old story...

I_like_you,_but_akfDetail.png

This is not a flame or troll so TIFWIW. Rutgers needs to hire a recruiter at their HC. I don't care if it is Ron Zook 2.0 or a James Franklin clone. A nuts and bolts dude is great but it looks like Flood can't sell to save his life. If there was ever a time that someone had a great story to tell, it is now. You just entered one of the premier conferences in football and he STILL can't sell it. A dead battery can't jump start a dead battery.

HELL NO I hope we never hire Ron Zook. Why would we hire a proven loser to replace a guy with a winning record? Flood is the right guy for now, he will bridge the gap with more experience and more size. IDGAF about some 4 stars that won't pan out.

Unfortunately there is no sign of that. Has he ever won a game that honestly you thought we shouldnt going in? And I dont mean basde on team name, like Michigan last year, but based on the performance of the two teams up to that point in the season.

Yes. If you are willing to consider "up to that point" in the season.....

Washington State on the road last year - going across country early in the season is not easy - many were expecting a loss - ala the Fresno State game from a couple years earlier.

Navy - on the road last year. Navy was playing well up to that point. With 2 wins and a respectable showing in a loss to Ohio State. Combine that also with having only a week to prepare for the option.

Michigan - was a toss up for me - many felt that Hoke was playing for his job - he almost pulled it out.

Maryland - on the road - many had this as a loss and felt Maryland was the superior team. It almost turned out that way except for the huge comeback.

Arkansas - 2013

Arkansas & Cincy - 2012

Yes, Al. Very interesting for what BS it proved to be.

would your rather he have said "rutgers sucks, there's not a snowballs chance in hell i'm going there"

kids are free to change their mind. not bothered by a 17 year olds choices.

HELL NO I hope we never hire Ron Zook. Why would we hire a proven loser to replace a guy with a winning record? Flood is the right guy for now, he will bridge the gap with more experience and more size. IDGAF about some 4 stars that won't pan out.

Wait what? now the 4 stars don't pan out?

Look I'm all for optimistic views but some of the things said on here about "We want Rutgers Men" and "Don't care if we miss the top guys, we want under the radar guys with something to prove"... I'm not buying that al all. Give me a recruiting class like Ohio State, Penn State, Mich and Mich St have this year.

Right now Rutgers is viewed as 'Betsy'. The kind of girl that you would have no problem taking home to meet your parents but when your friends ask you about her, you're response is "She has a nice personality"

Things were actually looking up with schiano when he left, although once the recruiting collapse of 2014 happened, I'm afraid our recruiting just hasn't been the same

HC's are like QB's. They get too much credit when a recruit commits and too much scorn when they don't.

GS was an anomaly. He knew that the only way he could succeed was hands-on, rolled up sleeves recruiting. He had nothing else to do go on.

We hit our recruiting zenith when we had guys like Hafley setting things up. We need more guys like that. Super aggressive recruiters would be a nice yin to Flood's fatherly yang.

HC's are like QB's. They get too much credit when a recruit commits and too much scorn when they don't.

GS was an anomaly. He knew that the only way he could succeed was hands-on, rolled up sleeves recruiting. He had nothing else to do go on.

We hit our recruiting zenith when we had guys like Hafley setting things up. We need more guys like that. Super aggressive recruiters would be a nice yin to Flood's fatherly yang.

I so thoroughly agree with your post that I'm on hold with the doctor's office now, trying to get an appointment to see what the hell's wrong with me. Seriously though, your post is spot on.

Reactions: RUChoppin
Some people will never be satisfied. T. Hunt pumps out positive articles about Rutgers all the time, yet some find fault with it. Maybe he should put out articles like the other idiots at nj.com. :cry:
Shut up Doug :chairshot:, only negativity gets positive reviews here. [banana]:cool2:

Todderick is okay. I prefer his brother, Mike, though.

Cue my ancient story about "Mike Hunt".

Back in the 80s.. the Targum ran a letter by some sorrority chick saying frats guys were crude when she and her sisters passed by. She gave examples.

So a frat guy wrote in, basically copying the letter and changing genders and signed it "Mike Hunt".

That same day, after reading the letter in the targum in the morning.. a sorority apparently checked the student directory for the mysterious "Mike Hunt" and, not finding a student by that name put a big sign on the front lawn (of the old house on the corner of Bishop and College Ave.. was ZTA fir a time)... the sign read..

"Where is Mike Hunt?"

I kid you not.

I phoned a sister in there that afternoon and asked her about the sign and...

"What was the guy's name?.. I may know him."
"Mike Hunt"
"Say that again, i want to write it down"
"Mike Hunt"
"Can you read that whole sign to me again"
"Where is Mike Hunt?"
"Say it again.. faster.."

I then heard the phone drop and some excited talk in a hallway away from the phone... then.. high pitched screams.

Sooo funny.

Back in the 80s.. the Targum ran a letter by some sorrority chick saying frats guys were crude when she and her sisters passed by. She gave examples.

So a frat guy wrote in, basically copying the letter and changing genders and signed it "Mike Hunt".

That same day, after reading the letter in the targum in the morning.. a sorority apparently checked the student directory for the mysterious "Mike Hunt" and, not finding a student by that name put a big sign on the front lawn (of the old house on the corner of Bishop and College Ave.. was ZTA fir a time)... the sign read..

"Where is Mike Hunt?"

I kid you not.

"Mike Hunt"
"Mike Hunt"
"Where is Mike Hunt?"

I then heard the phone drop and some excited talk in a hallway away from the phone... then.. high pitched screams.

Sooo funny.

Good story. I'm only slightly ashamed to admit that I live for such moments.

I think Rutgers has become something of a tease for top NJ recruits. I am more surprised when RU isn't in their final four or five. But, when the rubber hits the road, they usually decide on not taking that long-shot bet and go with a known commodity.
If we can ever find consistency and good bowl games, this may well change. But right now, we are still a long shot for many.

This is not a flame or troll so TIFWIW. Rutgers needs to hire a recruiter at their HC. I don't care if it is Ron Zook 2.0 or a James Franklin clone. A nuts and bolts dude is great but it looks like Flood can't sell to save his life. If there was ever a time that someone had a great story to tell, it is now. You just entered one of the premier conferences in football and he STILL can't sell it. A dead battery can't jump start a dead battery.

you-serious-clark-o-s_zpsykcyeex3.gif

Flood's winning record craps on Zook's sub .500 record. Zooker won't be a P5 coach again.

"Where is Mike Hunt?"

I kid you not.

"Mike Hunt"
"Mike Hunt"
"Where is Mike Hunt?"

Sooo funny.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHA!!!! I just laughed my ass off! What a great story! I wouldn't have been able to contain my laughter if it was me calling the sorority. What a bunch of dumb broads.

would your rather he have said "rutgers sucks, there's not a snowballs chance in hell i'm going there"

kids are free to change their mind. not bothered by a 17 year olds choices.
The reality is most kids aren't going to say that to a guy who's going to quote them in print. Even if it's what they're really thinking.

I think Rutgers has become something of a tease for top NJ recruits. I am more surprised when RU isn't in their final four or five. But, when the rubber hits the road, they usually decide on not taking that long-shot bet and go with a known commodity.
If we can ever find consistency and good bowl games, this may well change. But right now, we are still a long shot for many.

Not sure what you meant by long shot but regarding a players chances of making the NFL I think that "long-shot mentality" is something of the past for Rutgers. We have put more players in the NFL in the past 5-10 years than a large portion of P5 colleges in the country.

Now if you meant that winning the college national championship is a long shot well then that is different haha

"Now if you meant that winning the college national championship is a long shot well then that is different haha[/QUOTE]"

Mike,
That is exactly what I was referring to by saying a long-shot. Nobody can argue that RU is capable of putting you in the NFL. Ironically, it may actually be a better choice for many as you will be on the field instead on sitting behind a bunch of even higher starred recruits.

Rutgers has a decent program and a great academic school. However, the FB program is not 'traditional' in terms of a national name. We're competing against against such teams. PLUS, our stadium and other facilities are nice but compare them to our competition, the big ones I mean. All of this is in the heads of the recruiting targets. And another thing, kids we recruit who are considered 'big time', quite often tell of peers chiding them if they pick Rutgers over a more recognizable name. Same with BB.

We have to hope that Flood and company can keep the wins rolling while the admin and whomever else put the spades into the ground to build a true big time complex. Seems like a cat and mouse game going on. Wait and see where the program goes before we stick our hands deeper in the pockets. Would help if the state congress and gov. were interested too. As far as that goes, watch how many want to be associated with the program if it succeeds. Typical politician BS.

I was one of the many who wanted a coaching change after losing those few bowl games a few years go AND the recruiting disaster which followed, but have since settled out that Flood went through a huge learning process himself and has done reasonably well under the circumstances. Being thrown into the best FB conference as a rookie HC ain't a walk in the park. All around improvements will help.

I've been an RU fan a long time and watch in pain the foot dragging that has gone on for years. Because of that it will take a few more years of steady progress as long as no faltering ensues. Cudda happened in the early 80s if those in control gave Frank Burns a little help. That BS set the tone for many years to come and we're still feeling the results. They had a great coach who was loved and who could develop players and threw him into a gun fight armed with a pen knife.

"Where is Mike Hunt?"

I kid you not.

"Mike Hunt"
"Mike Hunt"
"Where is Mike Hunt?"

Sooo funny.
So is your name Bart and was the girl named Moe?

"Now if you meant that winning the college national championship is a long shot well then that is different haha"

Mike,
That is exactly what I was referring to by saying a long-shot. Nobody can argue that RU is capable of putting you in the NFL. Ironically, it may actually be a better choice for many as you will be on the field instead on sitting behind a bunch of even higher starred recruits.

It's a long shot everywhere unless you're a football factory. Even ND gets their doors blown off against against the top 5.

That's just the new reality.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT