ADVERTISEMENT

Where are we?

SkilletHead2

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Sep 30, 2005
New Zealand
I'm a long-time WBB fan (from '76) who now probably lives further away from RU than any other fan (South Island of New Zealand).

I'm positive on the new hire and think CViv was great right up until the end. I'm not a naysayer in the least.

That said, "Where are we, folks?" Could one of the staff or a linked in fan give us a summary of what the current situation is? It's been two weeks since a new hire and all we've heard is crickets. Even to the point where it has been suggested that a great recruit was waiting to hear from us and hasn't, and has moved on.

What does the roster actually look like right now? Is CW sticking with the current staff or looking around? Are there any prospects for players/coaches out there that maybe we are playing close to the vest with?

I'm not impatient; I'm concerned. Why the radio silence? Does it imply nothing is happening, or that it is being kept on the down low? Also, exactly where are we in terms of having an actual team next year?

Again, all coming from a very long term fan and someone who wants CW to be a home run hire.

In true Stringer fashion, she resigned at the worst possible time leaving Hobbs with very few available good coaches. Actually none. At least the albatross has been lifted.

Anyone who is expecting this to be some great return to glory is fooling themselves. This was a hire no one makes who had good options.

In true Stringer fashion, she resigned at the worst possible time leaving Hobbs with very few available good coaches. Actually none. At least the albatross has been lifted.

Anyone who is expecting this to be some great return to glory is fooling themselves. This was a hire no one makes who had good options.
While I am doubting a return to glory, I do not think this is as bad a hire as you make out. It is not a home run hire, for sure. But if folks could be touting coaches during the hiring process who have been even less successful as "good options", then she is at absolute worst "ok". She had some success and some issues at Penn State. She got some good recruits and didn't get some good recruits. She took over the Rene Portland mess amidst the Sandusky hangover. She has good experience as a player and assistant coach. I will give her a chance.

In the short term, making the program competitive for the upper part of the conference and a postseason berth again in 2 or 3 years would be success. Obviously more is expected in the longer term. But who wants to follow a legend, especially one with such a sad ending.

Reactions: RUClassof67
My question was more informational than attitudinal.

Does anybody know what our actual situation is right now with respect to what the team comprises, both in terms of coaching and players, and what the near horizon looks like?

Reactions: RUJMM78

Does anybody know what our actual situation is right now with respect to what the team comprises, both in terms of coaching and players, and what the near horizon looks like?
hope someone knows,
as for me:not a clue

(I'm checking every day and no players or assistants listed
Just HC and support staff)
2022-23 Women's Basketball Roster - Rutgers University Athletics
https://scarletknights.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster

hope someone knows,
as for me:not a clue

(I'm checking every day and no players or assistants listed
Just HC and support staff)
2022-23 Women's Basketball Roster - Rutgers University Athletics
https://scarletknights.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster
Hey MADHAT,

If it's possible to say, "Thanks for nothing" without it meaning anything negative (!), thanks for nothing! I kind of fear that is where we are!

Reactions: MADHAT1
Hey MADHAT,

If it's possible to say, "Thanks for nothing" without it meaning anything negative (!), thanks for nothing! I kind of fear that is where we are!
Assuming this is what you want, player wise, I hope
Holdovers
Chyna Coldwell 6-3 jr center
Awa Sidibe 5-11 sg/ wing sr
Erika Lafayette 6-1 jr wing

transfers
Abby Streeter gr guard 5-9 three point shooter
Kai Carter 6–1 jr wing

commits
Antonia Bates 6-1 sg or wing fr
Smirkle 6-1 sg/ wing fr

Holdovers

transfers
Kai Carter 6–1 jr wing

commits
Smirkle 6-1 sg/ wing fr
Thanks, ho26rus, just what I was looking for. And I'm guessing nada on the assistant coaching front?

Thanks, ho26rus, just what I was looking for. And I'm guessing nada on the assistant coaching front?
No it’s a bigger secret than the Coca Cola formula.
I mean , at least , is Michelle Edwards gone. I think a good fit and I can hope I guess
Tim Eatman ??????

Reactions: SkilletHead2

Sorry but Vivian Stringer in the end gave Hobbs and Rutgers a shafting. Now we all want the new HC to succeed but how she left put us into a bad spot . We are having issues getting assistants and hopefully we can reload by using the portal. She did our school no favors .

I'm a long-time WBB fan (from '76) who now probably lives further away from RU than any other fan (South Island of New Zealand).

I'm positive on the new hire and think CViv was great right up until the end. I'm not a naysayer in the least.

That said, "Where are we, folks?" Could one of the staff or a linked in fan give us a summary of what the current situation is? It's been two weeks since a new hire and all we've heard is crickets. Even to the point where it has been suggested that a great recruit was waiting to hear from us and hasn't, and has moved on.

What does the roster actually look like right now? Is CW sticking with the current staff or looking around? Are there any prospects for players/coaches out there that maybe we are playing close to the vest with?

I'm not impatient; I'm concerned. Why the radio silence? Does it imply nothing is happening, or that it is being kept on the down low? Also, exactly where are we in terms of having an actual team next year?

Again, all coming from a very long term fan and someone who wants CW to be a home run hire.

Cvs torpedoed the program

While I am doubting a return to glory, I do not think this is as bad a hire as you make out. It is not a home run hire, for sure. But if folks could be touting coaches during the hiring process who have been even less successful as "good options", then she is at absolute worst "ok". She had some success and some issues at Penn State. She got some good recruits and didn't get some good recruits. She took over the Rene Portland mess amidst the Sandusky hangover. She has good experience as a player and assistant coach. I will give her a chance.

In the short term, making the program competitive for the upper part of the conference and a postseason berth again in 2 or 3 years would be success. Obviously more is expected in the longer term. But who wants to follow a legend, especially one with such a sad ending.

Its a hire made because no one else wanted to come here

Why hijack the thread just to air your grievances? There are a ton of "we hate Viv" and "this hire is awful" threads around.

I'm just trying to figure out where we are right now. Some folks are being helpful on that front.
Where we are right now is not in a very good place.

Reactions: bac2therac
Its a hire made because no one else wanted to come here
Because of timing. That is unfortunate. I saw in the interview with Yolanda Laney that Vivian told her she was thinking about retirement last September or October, I do wish she had decided more quickly. But it is what it is.

Once you get to what we could attract, CW is, as I said, OK. Do you really see what some programs hire as head coaches? I know we wanted, and might have gotten, a blue chipper, but once the timing ruined that opportunity CW is not a bad choice. The more folks criticize her now, the less chance of success she will have.

Why hijack the thread just to air your grievances? There are a ton of "we hate Viv" and "this hire is awful" threads around.

I'm just trying to figure out where we are right now. Some folks are being helpful on that front.
Nobody hijacked the thread. The thread is a factual depiction of what transpired. Sorry you don’t see that professor but that is what happened . Rutgers deserved better treatment as they stuck by her for two years. In the realm of college basketball we all better pray that this HC can right the ship. The ship has been listing since last spring as Eatman ( left in charge) struggled mightily. This was not a good scene for Rutgers and it reflects upon the AD ( who is doing a good job) who was placed in the middle. That was why people are upset and blame Stringer HOF or not.

Nobody hijacked the thread. The thread is a factual depiction of what transpired. Sorry you don’t see that professor but that is what happened . Rutgers deserved better treatment as they stuck by her for two years. In the realm of college basketball we all better pray that this HC can right the ship. The ship has been listing since last spring as Eatman ( left in charge) struggled mightily. This was not a good scene for Rutgers and it reflects upon the AD ( who is doing a good job) who was placed in the middle. That was why people are upset and blame Stringer HOF or not.
It is exactly hijacking the thread. I started the thread and did not ask for anybody to rehash what has been gone over a thousand times. I asked for an objective analysis of where we stand today. Whining about Stringer and Hobbs is precisely hijacking it.

If you have to continuously ask, it’s pretty obvious where we sit. No information is bad. It means there isn’t a lot going on.

Reactions: bac2therac
If you have to continuously ask, it’s pretty obvious where we sit. No information is bad. It means there isn’t a lot going on.
I've asked once.

But you, and others, as predictable, have chosen to hijack the thread to air your well-known and well-understood grievances.

And, of course, you are wrong. There could be a lot going on, and the information is simply not being made public.

So, if you have nothing constructive to add....

Reactions: Scarletwoman

Shared no new info. but just listening to her speak, ...I feel like she's going to get it done. I don't see how Kierra and Sakima couldn't be pretty excited about staying.

Her statement referencing the late, great John Wooden says a lot in regard to what we've been talking about over the past week or so.

Shared no new info. but just listening to her speak, ...I feel like she's going to get it done. I don't see how Kierra and Sakima couldn't be pretty excited about staying.

Her statement referencing the late, great John Wooden says a lot in regard to what we've been talking about over the past week or so.
Thanks, crazee. Was hoping you'd add, "Also, I have really good news but it's super confidential." Oh well!

Sorry to be picky but I saw the interview and I fail to see anything of substance. The clock remains ticking to NLOA day and we need to find 8 players.
Even if Hidalgo and Brooks underperformed these were the only New Jersey girls we were going after.
So our home state offers no hope,There is not that much time for relationship building. We have no specific history anywhere else.

to beat a dead horse even if you failed miserably there is no excuse, in our unique position,to not have persued and offerred these two girls

Reactions: runner3283
It is exactly hijacking the thread. I started the thread and did not ask for anybody to rehash what has been gone over a thousand times. I asked for an objective analysis of where we stand today. Whining about Stringer and Hobbs is precisely hijacking it.
It's the same people saying the same thing over and over and over again. Rainman Syndrome is very strong here. I am really at a loss trying to figure what they hope to accomplish by saying same thing over and over. Does it make them feel better ?

Do they hate Hobbs and want him to know it ? Do they hate CVS and hope these things posted here will somehow get back to her and hurt her feelings?

@bac2therac has posted something along the lines of "CVS has destroyed the program" a total of 63 times over the last 20 days on 3 separate boards, WBB, MBB and The Roundtable.

Last edited:
No it’s a bigger secret than the Coca Cola formula.
I mean , at least , is Michelle Edwards gone. I think a good fit and I can hope I guess
Tim Eatman ??????
Only thing we know officially is that Nadine got another job. Also, per an unofficial source close to the program, I was told that Michelle was not retained, which is really a shame.

It's the same people saying the same thing over and over and over again. Rainman Syndrome is very strong here. I am really at a loss trying to figure what they hope to accomplish by saying same thing over and over. Does it make them feel better ?

Do they hate Hobbs and want him to know it ? Do they hate CVS and hope these things posted here will somehow get back to her and hurt her feelings?

@bac2therac has posted something along the lines of "CVS has destroyed the program" a total of 63 times over the last 20 days on 3 separate boards, WBB, MBB and The Roundtable.
Bac loves to hear himself complain. Ask him about snow on the sidewalks of the RAC.

That is where we stand Skillet . Very little going on here in WBB. No assistants . A few players staying . Maybe a few from the portal return. Disappointed fans is appropriate here. How our former coach screwed over the program and our AD for months though others knew this was possible. People pay good money to see Rutgers sports so the occasional whining is ok. You are sitting 10k miles away and passing judgement and then when people rant you lecture them. You may be highly intelligent in the academic field but that is where it ends. People have a RIGHT to be critical . That is contrary to what some may wish the world to become. Criticizing Vivian Stringer and her lack of concern towards her former program was very obvious after months of mystery and silence. Your obvious lack of knowledge just may be why you see things in a different light.

The silence in regard to recruiting and hiring assistant coaches clearly is disturbing but just the reality of the late hire .Options are few unless the new head coach will hold a press conference at a later date to announce the staff and reccruits who will play for Rutgers next season.

Reactions: SkilletHead2
Well we haves retained the entire support staff sight unseen so I am unsure of selectivity
Eatman was totally toxic and had to go.
We have, last I looked , 20 offers out with 17 out of nj. The person from I can see maintaining contact was Michelle.

five months until signing day we have no ongoing relations at all.
Michelle with no coach, a bad sub coach, a horrible performance record and in short doing it on her own drew in two transfers and two very good commits.

to me , who most of you do not know, that is more than enough of a resume. There is a scarcity of possible assistants out there and I seriously doubt you will find better.
And we are on the clock tick tock

Reactions: RUfanDNT
Holdovers

transfers
Kai Carter 6–1 jr wing

commits
Smirkle 6-1 sg/ wing fr
now this deserves a thanks for posting something worthwhile for an answer.
Looks like the roster isn't empty and not in as bad of shape as I thought

now this deserves a thanks for posting something worthwhile for an answer.
Looks like the roster isn't empty and not in as bad of shape as I thought
Still after 22/23 season is gone Sidibe and Streeter are gone in graduation.so in one year as we think of the 2023 season we need to add 8 players. Ergo why she absolutely had to break running.

after the 2023/24 season ends three more girls depart leaving only two ladies from the current roster left and at least 11 new bodies and since we do not seem to be recruiting 2023 in a meaningful way
This will be a very slippery slope to climb

please do not say portal. We brought in 6 last year and all with solid credentials. How, may I ask, did that turn out?

Still after 22/23 season is gone Sidibe and Streeter are gone in graduation.so in one year as we think of the 2023 season we need to add 8 players. Ergo why she absolutely had to break running.

after the 2023/24 season ends three more girls depart leaving only two ladies from the current roster left and at least 11 new bodies and since we do not seem to be recruiting 2023 in a meaningful way
This will be a very slippery slope to climb

please do not say portal. We brought in 6 last year and all with solid credentials. How, may I ask, did that turn out?
the object should be for CW: take care of this season, the better the season is the more chance to bring in the High School talent needed to be successful at RU in the future.
As for the portal, only should be used to fill the holes in lineup and depth when waiting for the freshman to develop into good college players

the object should be for CW: take care of this season, the better the season is the more chance to bring in the High School talent needed to be successful at RU in the future.
As for the portal, only should be used to fill the holes in lineup and depth when waiting for the freshman to develop into good college players
If you go to ESPN commitment log even now half the top 200 are gone for 2023. And from here on , like Brooks, girl want to lock it up

my opinion

we are not the type of situation that a quality player wants to transfer into. So what then stay with 7 and pray there are no turned ankles.

anyway done for the afternoon and I will be a fan and hope for the best

That is where we stand Skillet . Very little going on here in WBB. No assistants . A few players staying . Maybe a few from the portal return. Disappointed fans is appropriate here. How our former coach screwed over the program and our AD for months though others knew this was possible. People pay good money to see Rutgers sports so the occasional whining is ok. You are sitting 10k miles away and passing judgement and then when people rant you lecture them. You may be highly intelligent in the academic field but that is where it ends. People have a RIGHT to be critical . That is contrary to what some may wish the world to become. Criticizing Vivian Stringer and her lack of concern towards her former program was very obvious after months of mystery and silence. Your obvious lack of knowledge just may be why you see things in a different light.
Gonna beat that dead horse all the way into the ground, huh?

If someone posts a thread titled, "What do you think about how we got to where we are today?" then your whining about the past would be appropriate.

But that isn't the title of the thread. This was a thread about just where we currently stand and what the future might hold, and a number of posters have made good contributions to it. But you, and a few others, have chosen to use it to whine about CViv and Hobbs, and now about CW. Again and again and again. We get it. You don't like them. Does every WBB thread have to incude your obligatory claims of hurt feelings?

I do sit 10,000 miles away, but I follow RU sports closely, having played against RU in both football and track when I was an undergrad, having been on the RU faculty for 29 years, and having worked with the teams on academic matters during that period. I know more about sports, and RU sports, than you imagine I do.

Everyone can agree that CViv's departure was unfortunate at best, and that it hurt the program. There is no question about that. But what some are able to see is that prior to this last year or two, she was a legendary women's basketball coach and perhaps can be forgiven the last steps of her career. In all honesty, none of us know about in terms of what the situation was. But I've been around universities long enough to know that stories are almost always more complex than what the public knows.

And now we move forward. At least, some of us do. Some will blame CViv for every missed shot or turnover for years, just as some blame Ash for every fumble and interception. To be an RU fan is to be long-suffering almost by definition, but some of us are always willing to say, "Wait'll next year," while others want to relive the Shea and Littlepage eras. So be it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT