ADVERTISEMENT

Where are we?

Gonna beat that dead horse all the way into the ground, huh?

If someone posts a thread titled, "What do you think about how we got to where we are today?" then your whining about the past would be appropriate.

But that isn't the title of the thread. This was a thread about just where we currently stand and what the future might hold, and a number of posters have made good contributions to it. But you, and a few others, have chosen to use it to whine about CViv and Hobbs, and now about CW. Again and again and again. We get it. You don't like them. Does every WBB thread have to incude your obligatory claims of hurt feelings?

I do sit 10,000 miles away, but I follow RU sports closely, having played against RU in both football and track when I was an undergrad, having been on the RU faculty for 29 years, and having worked with the teams on academic matters during that period. I know more about sports, and RU sports, than you imagine I do.

Everyone can agree that CViv's departure was unfortunate at best, and that it hurt the program. There is no question about that. But what some are able to see is that prior to this last year or two, she was a legendary women's basketball coach and perhaps can be forgiven the last steps of her career. In all honesty, none of us know about in terms of what the situation was. But I've been around universities long enough to know that stories are almost always more complex than what the public knows.

And now we move forward. At least, some of us do. Some will blame CViv for every missed shot or turnover for years, just as some blame Ash for every fumble and interception. To be an RU fan is to be long-suffering almost by definition, but some of us are always willing to say, "Wait'll next year," while others want to relive the Shea and Littlepage eras. So be it.
Yes you made a decision to move to NZ 10 k miles away. The simple facts were explained to you and no the thread wasn’t “ hijacked” . People told you exactly what was happening or what had happened with WBB over the past two years. So yeah people didn’t like what went on. Some of the posts show anger, frustration and to some extent a dislike for Stringer . You posting it contained hateful language is way over the top . This isn’t about covid19 anymore SkilletHead so not everything negative said requires a lecture from halfway around the globe . You admit you are a big RU fan . Those who criticized the former coach are also RU fans and perhaps donors . They are entitled to their opinion and if that doesn’t meet with your take… life goes on brah Ob La Di - Ob La Da. Being offended by everything you see to be in poor taste shows a lack of understanding of the actual problem . The program hopefully will be returning to better days but that has been delayed by selfishness by the former HC.

Reactions: Scarlettrooper
Yes you made a decision to move to NZ 10 k miles away. The simple facts were explained to you and no the thread wasn’t “ hijacked” . People told you exactly what was happening or what had happened with WBB over the past two years. So yeah people didn’t like what went on. Some of the posts show anger, frustration and to some extent a dislike for Stringer . You posting it contained hateful language is way over the top . This isn’t about covid19 anymore SkilletHead so not everything negative said requires a lecture from halfway around the globe . You admit you are a big RU fan . Those who criticized the former coach are also RU fans and perhaps donors . They are entitled to their opinion and if that doesn’t meet with your take… life goes on brah Ob La Di - Ob La Da. Being offended by everything you see to be in poor taste shows a lack of understanding of the actual problem . The program hopefully will be returning to better days but that has been delayed by selfishness by the former HC.
Criticize once is reasonable.

Repeat it everyday makes you look a little crazy.

I feel for CW because she has a monumental road ahead of her. She has very little left in quality returning players, two incoming recruits and a few transfers. She has no assistants so doing everything by herself is tough and sad. I wish her the best,

Reactions: runrutgersrun
Do you read the posts you refer to, or just like to make things up?

Nowhere did I accuse anyone of hateful language. The whole thread is here. Show us.

As to your other points, you are deliberately misleading. Nobody asked about how we got to where we are. Everybody has heard that ad infinitum. The initial post asked specifically for what is happening today in terms of assistants and players. You and others hijacked it to whine about Stringer, Hobbs, and some about Washington.

You are absolutely entitled to your opinion, but you don't have to barge into every thread to present it. Some folks are making good contributions to this thread and talking about where we are now. Please stay out of it if all you want to do is continue to whine about past.

Criticize once is reasonable.

Repeat it everyday makes you look a little crazy.
Hey he continued with the victimhood posts. Quite evident he’s your buddy here perhaps instead tell him about being crazy reposting his complaints about thread hijacking.
I feel for CW because she has a monumental road ahead of her. She has very little left in quality returning players, two incoming recruits and a few transfers. She has no assistants so doing everything by herself is tough and sad. I wish her the best,

That's kind of what I'm wondering about, wngarbarini. Hobbs is a baskeball guy, and it looks like he has hired a quality person in Washington, and one who has had some success, and some failures. And then nothing for two weeks. I think she has a tough row to hoe, and maybe we are being too impatient, but I'd love to hear something positive on the horizon!

• Love
Do you read the posts you refer to, or just like to make things up?

Nowhere did I accuse anyone of hateful language. The whole thread is here. Show us.

As to your other points, you are deliberately misleading. Nobody asked about how we got to where we are. Everybody has heard that ad infinitum. The initial post asked specifically for what is happening today in terms of assistants and players. You and others hijacked it to whine about Stringer, Hobbs, and some about Washington.

You are absolutely entitled to your opinion, but you don't have to barge into every thread to present it. Some folks are making good contributions to this thread and talking about where we are now. Please stay out of it if all you want to do is continue to whine about past.
Well excuse me Kiwi for explaining why . Now you may be book smart but you accusing me of whining is actually funny. As for staying out ? This isn’t a private classroom mate. NZ needs you to stay for many years . You fit the mold of many I have met on my yearly trips to the islands in the South Pacific.

• Angry
Reactions: Scarletwoman
Coaching staffs typically take 3-4 weeks to finalize. CW was hired May 23rd. It's been about 2 weeks.

Pikiell had his staff finalized in 3 weeks....March 19th to April 11th.

No new coach rushes the hiring process. Like John Wooden said, " Move quickly but don't rush it".

Relax, it will done in a few weeks.

Last edited:
If you go to ESPN commitment log even now half the top 200 are gone for 2023. And from here on , like Brooks, girl want to lock it up

my opinion

we are not the type of situation that a quality player wants to transfer into. So what then stay with 7 and pray there are no turned ankles.

anyway done for the afternoon and I will be a fan and hope for the best
all we can is hope for the best and keep a positive attitude about things getting better than it looks now.

Well excuse me Kiwi for explaining why . Now you may be book smart but you accusing me of whining is actually funny. As for staying out ? This isn’t a private classroom mate. NZ needs you to stay for many years . You fit the mold of many I have met on my yearly trips to the islands in the South Pacific.
Everybody knows why, Bob; that has been gone over a million times. Try making a positive contribution. Or even better, start your own thread dedicated to whining.

And yes, the South Pacific is brimming with people of my "mold" so it would really be best if you stayed away.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Coaching staffs typically take 3-4 weeks to finalize. CW was hired May 23rd. It's been about 2 weeks.

No new coach rushes the hiring process. Like John Wooden said, " Move quickly but don't rush it".

From your lips....

Everybody knows why, Bob; that has been gone over a million times. Try making a positive contribution. Or even better, start your own thread dedicated to whining.

And yes, the South Pacific is brimming with people of my "mold" so it would really be best if you stayed away.
Bit of an exaggeration SkilletHead 2. My the good professor is upset. Nobody was whining on my part . Explained clearly what went on and where we were in this program. You automatically bring up nonsense about how many times I was suspended (for political postings). To be exact Kiwi it occurred about 4-5 times over 15 years. You would do best to re read what I posted about your original question to the board. There is a distinct difference between whining and criticizing the actions which has caused the negativism by posters. Oh those Kiwi’s in your mold… most are “happy go lucky drunks” who think the universe revolves around what they think is important. Opinions are cheap especially when you mislabel what was actually posted earlier teach.

Last edited:
Bit of an exaggeration SkilletHead 2. My the good professor is upset. Nobody was whining on my part . Explained clearly what went on and where we were in this program. You automatically bring up nonsense about how many times I was suspended (for political postings). To be exact Kiwi it occurred about 4-5 times over 15 years. You would do best to re read what I posted about your original question to the board. There is a distinct difference between whining and criticizing the actions which has caused the negativism by posters. Oh those Kiwi’s in your mold… most are “happy go lucky drunks” who think the universe revolves around what they think is important. Opinions are cheap especially when you mislabel what was actually posted earlier teach.
It's called hyperbole, Bob. It's a literary device using exaggeration to make a point. Don't think anybody would think it is literal. "Shafting" the uni, "screwing over" on the other hand, is whining, Bob. Not explaining, whining. Simple as.

I brought up how many times you've been suspended? Can you show us all where I did that? Along with where I accused people of using hateful language? I have no idea that you have ever been suspended. You just outed yourself. Kind of not surprising.

And now it looks like you are accusing me of being happy go lucky drunk? It's no wonder you've been suspended 4-5 times. You are cruising in that direction right now. I think you are losing it, friend. Maybe time to stop posting, or again, go start your own thread.

It's called hyperbole, Bob. It's a literary device using exaggeration to make a point. Don't think anybody would think it is literal. "Shafting" the uni, "screwing over" on the other hand, is whining, Bob. Not explaining, whining. Simple as.

I brought up how many times you've been suspended? Can you show us all where I did that? Along with where I accused people of using hateful language? I have no idea that you have ever been suspended. You just outed yourself. Kind of not surprising.

And now it looks like you are accusing me of being happy go lucky drunk? It's no wonder you've been suspended 4-5 times. You are cruising in that direction right now. I think you are losing it, friend. Maybe time to stop posting, or again, go start your own thread.
I have to give you credit for the back and forth here. Many would have given up after the first reply.
Pat Hobbs has been on a hot streak with hiring new coaches, and we can only hope his streak continues with Coach Washington. I spoke with Pat in person the evening after the introductory press conference two weeks ago, and he was very pumped about the hire. I have known Pat going back to his days as a law professor. I'd trust the process and be patient. And I like her quote/approach of John Wooden.

It's difficult to be patient after the last several months. Especially with all of the negative voices chiming in with doom and gloom.

Hyperbole? It’s called poking the bear you clown. You unabashedly remarked about Bob and why we didn’t see him “ millions of times.” You know exactly what your implication was in the post back . If I or anyone else wants to whine that’s fine if you don’t like it …. Hit that ignore button . You also in your post mention that on top of the whining there is something “ hateful “ (not language ) directed towards the former HC. I’m not ashamed of being suspended for postings during the political ocancel culture , MeTo movement and the 2020 election . Nor during the covid 19 back and forth which resulted in numerous posts being moved to the CE board or pulled completely. You were certainly quite aware of those periods of anger on this board. I’ve met many Kiwi’s and sorry if that is how they are viewed as “ happy go lucky drunks.” Did not mention you at all specifically . It appears you are feeling guilty about that for some reason. So don’t twist my words.Cruising towards that now and losing it? Not at all … I ‘m not your friend … My original post was in no way offensive to you , the WBB program nor was it whining . In this regard you are the whiner and the antagonizer. Like I said earlier . Book smart only . Time for you to take that long walk into the outback.

I have to give you credit for the back and forth here. Many would have given up after the first reply.
Pat Hobbs has been on a hot streak with hiring new coaches, and we can only hope his streak continues with Coach Washington. I spoke with Pat in person the evening after the introductory press conference two weeks ago, and he was very pumped about the hire. I have known Pat going back to his days as a law professor. I'd trust the process and be patient. And I like her quote/approach of John Wooden.

It's difficult to be patient after the last several months. Especially with all of the negative voices chiming in with doom and gloom.
Thanks, NightShift! I am really hopeful for Washington -- just getting antsy, as fans do! With some luck, we'll see some good things soon!

Hyperbole? It’s called poking the bear you clown. You unabashedly remarked about Bob and why we didn’t see him “ millions of times.” You know exactly what your implication was in the post back . If I or anyone else wants to whine that’s fine if you don’t like it …. Hit that ignore button . You also in your post mention that on top of the whining there is something “ hateful “ (not language ) directed towards the former HC. I’m not ashamed of being suspended for postings during the political ocancel culture , MeTo movement and the 2020 election . Nor during the covid 19 back and forth which resulted in numerous posts being moved to the CE board or pulled completely. You were certainly quite aware of those periods of anger on this board. I’ve met many Kiwi’s and sorry if that is how they are viewed as “ happy go lucky drunks.” Did not mention you at all specifically . It appears you are feeling guilty about that for some reason. So don’t twist my words.Cruising towards that now and losing it? Not at all … I ‘m not your friend … My original post was in no way offensive to you , the WBB program nor was it whining . In this regard you are the whiner and the antagonizer. Like I said earlier . Book smart only . Time for you to take that long walk into the outback.
Bob, you do know that your posts are all here, and that people can just go read them? Along with mine.

Here's the first sentence of your first post: "Sorry but Vivian Stringer in the end gave Hobbs and Rutgers a shafting." That's whining, Bob. Pretty much textbook.

Never said that anyone said anything hateful toward CViv in this thread. Said there was the usual "We hate Viv" type of commentary. Important difference. Although saying that someone gave someone else a shafting is not exactly being nice.

Now as to my "unabashedly remarked about Bob and why we didn't see him millions of times." That isn't even wrong. It makes no sense whatsoever and isn't close to what I said. I said the "how we got here" meme has been gone over a million times. You then pointed out that you've been suspended a lot. Not surprising. You're losing the thread once again here, my friend. And yes, saying that something happened a million times is hyperbole. It can be "poking the bear" at the same time, Smokey.

As to accusing me of being a drunk, here is one of two of your accusations on that front: "Oh those Kiwi’s in your mold… most are “happy go lucky drunks” Hard to read that otherwise, Bob. For the record, I'm a really moderate drinker. But I do enjoy a vodka and tonic, especially with grapefruit flavored tonic. Excellent.

Kiwis are great people, Bob. They are outgoing, conscientious, generous, and down to earth. Very egalitarian society and I'm happy to be living here. We have our problems as all societies do, and some hard cases, but it's a beautiful country with mostly really great people. It's a shame you haven't met any of them. Hard to imagine how that could be.

Reactions: MADHAT1

I noticed Joni Taylor, who was hired on at Texas A&M back in March, just added a few more pieces to her staff in the past week or so.

Let’s just call it as it is…..CVS, despite handouts she didn’t deserve, screwed this program over. Her decisions were all selfish, and they help us understand why so many of her top recruits left after a season. She should have left three or four years ago when she was at the top of her game.

Let’s just call it as it is…..CVS, despite handouts she didn’t deserve, screwed this program over. Her decisions were all selfish, and they help us understand why so many of her top recruits left after a season. She should have left three or four years ago when she was at the top of her game.
How original.

Only The 150th time I have seen this same thing posted here in 1 month.

Nobody accused you of being a drunk. I said Kiwi’s are seen as “ Happy Go Lucky Drunks”. Absolutely nothing wrong with that statement. It describes them as fun loving people nothing more. Don’t play the victim routine . Only the many and … it has been many over the years. The thread was lost when you failed to read what was written in the meme . It wasn’t a rant “friend “ it was a posting of what happened and even you ( the offended one ) should have easily grasped the fact people who live here where angered and frustrated by the scene which was being played out at Rutgers. It made Hobbs look incompetent and that is not who was to blame for this mess. You living in the Shire is wonderful. You can live your life amongst your chosen people for all eternity. . Good for you “friend “. I will agree with you on this note…nothing like a good vodka tonic and Kiwis are a friendly group of people . That would include you as well. Go take that walk maybe you’ll run into Gandolf ?

I noticed Joni Taylor, who was hired on at Texas A&M back in March, just added a few more pieces to her staff in the past week or so.
I
This is true but They were all administrative . The two all important assistants Chelsea Newton and Bob Mosley came over with her , from Georgia , on day one.

we did precisely the opposite. We kept the entire support staff and are missing the recruiter and the teacher.

I

This is true but They were all administrative . The two all important assistants Chelsea Newton and Bob Mosley came over with her , from Georgia , on day one.

we did precisely the opposite. We kept the entire support staff and are missing the recruiter and the teacher.
I'm sure Coquese would have tried to do the same with Ivey, Mabry, and Thompson if she was the HC at ND coming here. And I know she would love to bring back some of her former PSU assistants, but they are now in other jobs.

It's understandable that she wouldn't necessarily keep Michelle and Tim. She opens it up to all interested and can choose who she's most comfortable with. It's such a key step in determining her success or failure, so I get it that it's not something to rush.

I'm sure Coquese would have tried to do the same with Ivey, Mabry, and Thompson if she was the HC at ND coming here. And I know she would love to bring back some of her former PSU assistants, but they are now in other jobs.

It's understandable that she wouldn't necessarily keep Michelle and Tim. She opens it up to all interested and can choose who she's most comfortable with. It's such a key step in determining her success or failure, so I get it that it's not something to rush.
Well Tim was part of the issue that sat unresolved. If you had seen interviews with girls leaving he was a focus. The girls liked it here but they would have come back ( to anyone) as long as Tim was not coach. That’s 7 girls. We waited 3 months too long to jettison him.

now part two
Starting one year before her successful run Fred Cmiel was top recruiter and teacher. One year after he left the recruiting collapsed as well as on field play.
Fred went to South Carolin whose program has exploded. National Champ I. 2017 and 2022. Clubs he has been associated with made the dance 13 straight years. There were 8 elite 8’s and four semis as well as top recruiting classes.

so the question might be who is pulling the strings the coach or the puppet.
So no you can only dream of Fred not actually sign him. The othe PSU , as best I remember, have done nothing to distinguish themselves. So no they should not be here

Well Tim was part of the issue that sat unresolved. If you had seen interviews with girls leaving he was a focus. The girls liked it here but they would have come back ( to anyone) as long as Tim was not coach. That’s 7 girls. We waited 3 months too long to jettison him.

now part two
Starting one year before her successful run Fred Cmiel was top recruiter and teacher. One year after he left the recruiting collapsed as well as on field play.
Fred went to South Carolin whose program has exploded. National Champ I. 2017 and 2022. Clubs he has been associated with made the dance 13 straight years. There were 8 elite 8’s and four semis as well as top recruiting classes.

so the question might be who is pulling the strings the coach or the puppet.
So no you can only dream of Fred not actually sign him. The othe PSU , as best I remember, have done nothing to distinguish themselves. So no they should not be here
Yes, ...you know I know when it comes to Tim.

Fred is obviously one of the best at what he does. I wouldn't for a second say that he is the reason for Dawn and S Car's success and Coquese's PSU success.....an important part,... yes. Like Jolette at RU.

And Coquese's other assts, although not making headway as head coaches, may still be solid in their assistant roles.

As I was saying in my prior post, picking the right staff is key to the success or failure of the HC. Successful programs have top notch coaching staffs. Jolette, Fred, Lisa, and the rest make up an excellent assistant staff for Dawn.

But Dawn is running the show in SC, for sure.

Yes, ...you know I know when it comes to Tim.

Fred is obviously one of the best at what he does. I wouldn't for a second say that he is the reason for Dawn and S Car's success and Coquese's PSU success.....an important part,... yes. Like Jolette at RU.

And Coquese's other assts, although not making headway as head coaches, may still be solid in their assistant roles.

As I was saying in my prior post, picking the right staff is key to the success or failure of the HC. Successful programs have top notch coaching staffs. Jolette, Fred, Lisa, and the rest make up an excellent assistant staff for Dawn.

But Dawn is running the show in SC, for sure.
Not the point.
The point was the two at Penn St

pre Fred 2 losing years
With fed 4 ggreat years
Post Fred 3 not so good years
After CW the poor recruiting and play
Continued

at SC dawns show for sure
Together great recruiting and on court success. Your only future frame of reference is if he leaves does it stay constant or drop off.

similar here Chelsea Newton was too five most years. She leaves and the three 2015 stars graduate and we were left with nothing 2016

CViV restructured the program in 4 months. But until then Chelsea was absolutely vital and Jolette before her.
Great recruiters are not simply sitting around to be scooped up. You have one you are very lucky

Great recruiters are not simply sitting around to be scooped up. You have one you are very lucky
True indeed. So, in that case, if CW doesn't have a good one already lined up, she has to do her best to try to find the next Jolette, Fred, Michelle. They are out there.

First time in a long time I’ve decided to put someone on ignore
“Be quick but don’t hurry”...I like that philosophy (I really didn't care for UCLA, though). However, it's not been a big part of Rutgers modus operandi in the past lol. Hopefully, it does explain a little of what's been going on since Coach has been hired...she's in a pretty tough spot. Interesting comments above about how long other coaches have taken to fill out their staffs and the advantage of coming from your previous job as Head Coach vs. coming in to be Head Coach when your last job was as an Assistant. All we can do is hope our AD knew what he was doing...he certainly knows more about the background of what HAD been going on than any of us. Go RU!

Her main staff came with her immediately as did all three of UGAs elite recruits including the #3 recruit in the country…unlike here, Gary Blair did not string his AD at A&M like stringer did RU…they knew from practically day 1 this was his last year. HUGE difference. Chelsea Newton has a sweet gig and will likely have her pick of jobs when she’s ready.

Because of timing. That is unfortunate. I saw in the interview with Yolanda Laney that Vivian told her she was thinking about retirement last September or October, I do wish she had decided more quickly. But it is what it is.

Once you get to what we could attract, CW is, as I said, OK. Do you really see what some programs hire as head coaches? I know we wanted, and might have gotten, a blue chipper, but once the timing ruined that opportunity CW is not a bad choice. The more folks criticize her now, the less chance of success she will have.

CVS is no dummy, she has been around the block..what she did was flat out selfish and uncaring about Rutgers

Reactions: Syosset and RUBOB72
Nobody accused you of being a drunk. I said Kiwi’s are seen as “ Happy Go Lucky Drunks”. Absolutely nothing wrong with that statement. It describes them as fun loving people nothing more. Don’t play the victim routine . Only the many and … it has been many over the years. The thread was lost when you failed to read what was written in the meme . It wasn’t a rant “friend “ it was a posting of what happened and even you ( the offended one ) should have easily grasped the fact people who live here where angered and frustrated by the scene which was being played out at Rutgers. It made Hobbs look incompetent and that is not who was to blame for this mess. You living in the Shire is wonderful. You can live your life amongst your chosen people for all eternity. . Good for you “friend “. I will agree with you on this note…nothing like a good vodka tonic and Kiwis are a friendly group of people . That would include you as well. Go take that walk maybe you’ll run into Gandolf ?
Bob, if say no insult intended, then I'm good with that.

NZ is indeed a great place to live and to visit. For anyone following this argy bargy, the South Island has some absolutely amazing places to visit. Mountains, lakes, river, ocean around the whole place, great skiing, great trout fishing, great scenery. A very friendly population who are glad to have folks visit.

Let me provide an example. We met up with some Yank friends of ours on vacation who are avid fisherman in a town none of us had been to in order to do some fly fishing. They are true experts and I'm a novice. It hadn't rained in a couple weeks and the rivers were low. We were having dinner in a local restaurant and my buddy said, "I have no idea where we can go tomorrow." I said, "I'll see if I can find out." I went to our waitress and explained our problem. She said, "I don't fish, but those folks on the veranda do. Tell them I sent you out to talk to them." So I do. Interrupting their dinner. The guy says, "Yeah you can't fish the rivers, have to fish the lake tomorrow. You got a boat? Because you can't get to the good fishing without one." I told him we didn't. He says, "Tell you what, you see that parking lot across the street? Meet me there tomorrow at 8 and I'll take you out on my boat." He spends the whole day with us, brings snacks, sends my friends off to one part of the lake and then takes me to another and we work on my technique all day. And every time he hooks a trout, he hands the line to me to bring it in. Wouldn't hear of taking any money. And, as it turns out, he was the guy who sheared that sheep that had gone wild, called Shrek. Was a champion sheep shearer.

That example is a lot of fun, but I could give you a dozen of folks being just as nice. Complete strangers.

SkilletHead2 : just to clarify . I like and respect the people of NZ who we have partied with many times over the past 20 years. They are full of life, caring and proud. The state of things at Rutgers is progressing slowly but we are now understanding what it takes to play in this type conference. The WBB program of which we support needs new direction and hopefully this new HC can provide that aspect going forward. Our former HC was maybe not as transparent with the AD as she could have been . That is one reason people were upset by what could have been made a smooth transition. So SkilletHead2 enjoy the restful, tranquility of the countryside known as NZ.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT