ADVERTISEMENT

Who will UConn fans root in RU-SHU?

MGSA99

All American
Jan 15, 2002
Will they root against us like they always have? Or will they actually be pulling for us so they can assert their superiority again in the 2nd round?

they will root for SHU, honestly I don't think they are worried about either team giving them a game but their hatred for CVS runs deep

It was interesting talking to other fans in the B1G at the tournament. They all seem to admire CViv. So unlike when we were in the Big East.

Go St. Francis , help RU and make Brooklyn proud .
UConn fans might root for Seton Hall, I'll be rooting for the Terriers
party0002.r191677.gif

Oh I know neither us (or anyone in the whole tourney) worries UConn and their fans. I am just curious if the fans secretly want to play us just to stick it to us again.

Seton Hall will have more fans rooting for them than they have ever had in their history as a program. I can still recall UConn loudly chanting "Let's Go Mountaineers" in a BE tournament game at the Hartford Civic Center (of course) in which WVU defeated us. It was arguably Cappie's worst game ever - the one where she looked like she was playing with a square ball. Very sad day for RU women's bball.

They don't care either way, b/c they probably won't even have anything near a close game until the FF, and even then I'm considering 15pts a close game.
That being said, they would like nothing more than to see RU bounced in the first round......just like we would like to see the reverse (there will never ever be a game where I root for them).

UConn fans have very little concern about who the opponent will be because the game will be nothing more than a tune up in preparation for the final four .The separation between the perceived elite programs and everybody else is a mile wide and that is a problem in marketing womens basketball right now.

I'd say that UConn fans aren't worried about who wins, and they don't care about whether Seton Hall wins, but I guarantee that a substantial fraction of them care about whether Rutgers loses. That group will be split between people who want RU to be humiliated by Seton Hall and people who want RU to be humiliated by UConn, but that won't stop any of them from rooting for the Pirates.

Originally posted by RU-JMM78:

UConn fans have very little concern about who the opponent will be because the game will be nothing more than a tune up in preparation for the final four .The separation between the perceived elite programs and everybody else is a mile wide and that is a problem in marketing womens basketball right now.
About the only way I can see more parity is by cutting the number of scholarships. There isn't as deep a quality talent pool in WBB as in MBB so that would at least mean the top programs couldn't stockpile quite as much talent.

Interestingly enough, there weren't many UConn fans in the building during the RU-SHU game. I didn't a great deal of cheering by them. Seems they are pretty blasé at this point. Biggest cheer was when UConn team walked into the arena early in the game and later during the 2nd half when they went back in to get ready for their "game" or was it a scrimmage against St Francis.

Why should UConn fans be anything more than blase during the opening rounds? Foregone conclusion means they only filled the place halfway. Their fans are spoiled by success and only care when they get to the final four.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT