ADVERTISEMENT

WNBA 2023 season

9/3/23
See all box scores, for all our RU stars. Kah is playing her heart out but with little support. Betnijah continues her stellar games, especially her defense. Erica good game as well.

Last edited:
Don't care what anybody says.....Betnijah is a true All-Star and she is showing it on the court. Many try to paint her as a defensive player who has just found her offense. She has ALWAYS been an all-around player who can do it all. She didn't shoot the three at RU only because CViv didn't favor threes in the offense. She had the same pure shooting form back then which tells me she could have if she'd been asked to.

I hope our current players, (who actually shoot pretty well), take note of Betnijah's shooting form. I've always thought that looking at her shooting form, especially hand placement on the ball, could be used as a teaching tool for our players.....Many of our past players surely could have benefited .

Liberty get a tough first round draw having to play the Mystics. As we've seen during the regular season, they are a scrappy bunch, with Cloud setting the tone and Sykes fueling them. Gotta come to play, from Game 1.

I also hope they change the court(xbox ad in foul lane) in Barclays back so that it looks like the home court that they have played on all year. Idk, maybe that kind of threw the shooting off a bit yesterday. Just looking at a glance, I first thought we were playing on Phx Mercury or Conn. Sun's court.

Sometimes little things like that make a big difference.

Don't care what anybody says.....Betnijah is a true All-Star and she is showing it on the court. Many try to paint her as a defensive player who has just found her offense. She has ALWAYS been an all-around player who can do it all. She didn't shoot the three at RU only because CViv didn't favor threes in the offense. She had the same pure shooting form back then which tells me she could have if she'd been asked to.

I hope our current players, (who actually shoot pretty well), take note of Betnijah's shooting form. I've always thought that looking at her shooting form, especially hand placement on the ball, could be used as a teaching tool for our players.....Many of our past players surely could have benefited .
I doubt you are correct about the 3's at RU, at least as stated. Vivian had absolutely no problem with players shooting 3 pointers assuming there was a good chance they were going to make them and were playing a role that allowed them to do so.

Betnijah in college was playing in a different style than the "W". At most schools, at least when she played, she probably would not have been shooting 3 pointers and most likely it wasn't really a part of her game. In the current style to be successful almost everyone needs a 3 point shot in their arsenal, and I also think you will see more of this in college going forward.

I doubt you are correct about the 3's at RU, at least as stated. Vivian had absolutely no problem with players shooting 3 pointers assuming there was a good chance they were going to make them and were playing a role that allowed them to do so.

Betnijah in college was playing in a different style than the "W". At most schools, at least when she played, she probably would not have been shooting 3 pointers and most likely it wasn't really a part of her game. In the current style to be successful almost everyone needs a 3 point shot in their arsenal, and I also think you will see more of this in college going forward.
You're making my point with the start of your second paragraph.

If there's anything I know, it's the CVS era at RU. I never said Viv had a problem with players shooting threes but she was far from being a Doug Bruno or Jeff Walz. Her style of offense did not emphasize three point shooting. She rarely had shooters like that and did not spend the time developing three point shooters. One of the main reasons that recruits started looking elsewhere,was because of her lack of a free flowing offense. She was one of the last to come to the three point party and when she did, she struggled to find shooters.

Cappie, Piph, Brittany Ray, Mauri, April, Tyler S., and maybe a couple more that I missed had green lights. The offense still did not feature them taking the three as other programs had started doing. They often took them as the shot clock was expiring.

The Liberty are a perfect example, ...they have featured the three in their offense from the time Betnijah got there. It is most potent when everyone can shoot it well. Viv giving green light to a good shooter or two, is different than featuring the three in your offense. Nijah was forced to play in the paint a lot during her RU tenure. Come her senior year, Viv was trying to loosen up and let the players go a little bit more than she had in prior years. They got out on the break and were allowed to take quick shots(even threes), if they were open. They actually scored some high totals early that season that got attention of wcbb for breaking the norm for CViv offenses.

Betnijah and Kahleah seemed to begin their efforts to extend their shots to the three point line during Betnijah's senior season. Fact is, I remember clearly, Betnijah having the same fundamental shot mechanics back then. It was more a matter of putting up the reps and muscle memory. I just think Viv's defensive focus and lengthy practices didn't prioritize shooting.

Oh!......And if Betnijah had played for a coach who was pushing the three, like the ones I mentioned above, they would have had Betnijah also putting em up.

Heck, .....look no further than Coquese. She is a prime example of the stark difference between green light for a player or two, vs. encouraging and pushing(teaching) all of the roster to be able to shoot it. Currently, Chyna is the only player who we don't expect to see on the arc. Before she leaves, I wouldn't be surprised if that changes. All she has to do is study Betnijah's form and put in the reps.

Entertaining game last night. Glad we were able to get the win. Washington is tough, especially with a healthy Hines-Allen. She was outstanding. Betnijah was Betnijah. She brings it every game.

Sabrina! Wow! I've been so impressed with how she has raised her level of play. Seemed like, since the All-Star break. She elevated to another level.

Ever since coming into the league, there was the hype and high expectations. She never came across to me as a player who was able to get her own shot against the WNBA talent level. Yeah, she could shoot it from the parking lot, but she really struggled to get her own shot when necessary. I didn't sense her putting any fear in opposing players when it came to her putting it on the floor to score.

Since her All-Star 3pt explosion, she seemed to have made it a point to be a stronger player in regard to finishing on the drive when heavily guarded. Playing tougher on defense. She already had the exceptional shot and the passing skills......this added toughness is all that was missing for her to be the player that matches the initial hype.

Back to last night's game, ......Too much Stewie focus and forced shots almost cost them, IMO. I know she wanted to get going after the previous loss to the Mystics, but the Libs play best when they play team ball. No need for a hero when all 7 or 8 players in the regular rotation can hurt you offensively. Even with Stewie being MVP,....if the other team is going to converge on her, Stewie needs to find her teammates for open shots before forcing a tough one that usually misses. Her teammates' makes will free her up for better looks. Betnijah could have gone for 30 if Stewie hits her half of the times she was wide open on the arc.

Poor Kahleah, scores 25/10 and Vegas slaps them. Of course nobody is gonna keep Aj'a quiet, she ended up with 38/16. 😬.

Reminder, NY Liberty vs Washington Mystics tonight on ESPN. Game @ 7PM, Piph, and Betnijah. Can they get the playoff win?

Liberty WON, but, it was not pretty. 90-85 in OT. Ionescu, and Vandersloot had awful game. Stewart had one of her off games. Our Betnijah, and Jonquel Jones were the stars of the game. Naj was fired up, got a stupid tech that really was BS.
Did anybody else watch the Game?

Last edited:
Reactions: RUcrazee
Liberty squeak out the closeout win. IMO......They made it more difficult than it needed to be, from what I saw(missed the 1st half of the game). Stewie, ...too much hero ball. Fortunately, she got a couple of them to fall down the stretch. They didn't shoot it well from the arc in the 2nd half but they still needed to keep the ball moving and make cuts. When Stewie starts looking to go 1 on 1, the others start to stand around in the half court offense. So awkward looking, ...like the moment was too much for them.

Thought they were gonna let Cloud and Sykes punk them again. Really, tonight , it was mainly just Cloud playing out of her mind. A. Atkins didn't show up until the two big plays at the end from her(charge and then a follow tip). Hines Allen didn't have much down the stretch and EDD is not the EDD of old.

Hope I didn't speak too soon about Sabrina's toughness. Maybe we can chalk this one up to there not being many players tougher than N Cloud.

Our girl, came through in a nick of time to help us out of that funky stretch on offense with that turn around fade off the glass. But even moreso defensively, stepping up, switching over to stifle whoever came in the lane, Betnijah was clutch with her toughness.

Should make for a heck of a sequel to this rivalry next season if Washington stays together as a team.

Reactions: ScarletteK80
ESPN Sportcenter just aired a post-game interview with Betnijah and her adorable niece. Might be able to catch it as it re-airs over the next few hours.

Awful, horrible game by Liberty. Nothing good to say. Feel bad for the fans that packed Barclay's. Hope they get their collective act together fast, or they will be finished.

BETNIJAH Laney what a great all around game. Wow, and they needed her, she had 15 in the 2nd half. So glad that she did the after game interview as well.

Another good game for Betnijah. And, man easy win for the Liberty.
Everytime they get everyone in the flow of the offense, they make it look easy. They looked like the Dolphins against the Broncos during that first half scoring out burst. Kept it moving nicely to whoever has the open shot or lane.

When they try to force iso plays is when the other team makes runs. Stewie still forces too many tough shots with people open on the arc. By now they should realize that they have a Fab Five, or should I say, Magnificent Seven. Not ready to stretch it to eight with Dolson yet.

Talk about snubs!

What's wrong with this picture??!!

It better be that Betnijah had a prior engagement and could not join them, or something like that. If they just flat out left her out, ...Shame on GMA3! Maybe they just don't know Bball well enough to know any better.

Even moreso though, SHAME on her teammates for accepting the invite without insisting that the other All-Star that starts with them and is a central piece to the success also be included for this interview.

The Liberty organization takes some blame too because, it seemed to me, they started the season framing it(marketing) and playing(coach) as the Liberty's "new super 4."....and Laney over there in the corner. .....Which is just how GMA covered them today.

Disappointed! But as an RUWBB fan, used to it.

• Angry
Totally agree crazy. Been thinking the same all year. Hopefully, she is with her new hubby, and having a blast. Wouldn't be surprised if she gets traded in off season though. Stewie getting MVP and not Aja Wilson is another head scratcher. Hmm, see a pattern here?

Oh well. Liberty got themselves smacked around badly in the 2nd half. Betnijah with an ok game but Vegas just went off. Hoping they play much better on Wednesday.

Shocking 1st quarter. No answers for anything Vegas is doing. Even more surprising, is the lack of confidence that the entire Liberty team is shooting with. Even Betnijah looked lost to start the game.

She just hit back to back outside shots so maybe she's awakened.

They were losing 38-19 after 1 quarter. Vandersloot continues to be MIA. Ionesco and Stewart also lost. Laney woke up somewhat. Only because Jonquel Jones is in beast mode are they now in the game. She is at 19/10! Score 54-42 half.

They couldn't throw it in the ocean tonight, while the Aces were on fire. That has been the difference, in my opinion. Yes,... Sloot, Ionescu, and Johannes have been defensive liabilities, but the Liberty won't beat anyone if they don't hit open shots.

None of them were good from 3, ....and that's their identity.

No one really talked about it on the talk shows I watched, but I clearly felt like this series got off to such a lopsided start because of Aja Wilson. She clearly felt slighted with the MVP voting and came out determined to go head-to-head with Stewie from the jumpball. She came out extremely intense and has obliterated Stewie so far, in regard to looking the part of MVP. Her teammates followed her lead with the energy level and intense focus. Much of Stewie's stats have been empty.

Curious to see how Stewie plays out the rest of the series. Her stock takes a huge hit as best in the world if she doesn't show up, especially with the monster efforts that Jonquel put forth so far.

NY Liberty beat Vegas in Brooklyn 87-73!! Quite the game. Jonquel Jones an absolute beast with 27 points, awesome defense on big mouth Aja Wilson. Our Betnijah with an incredible defensive show, made CVS, and her mom Yolanda(who played for CVS at Cheyney) very proud. Side note, found a box of old clothes this morning, what did I find? A NY Liberty tee shirt from 2010. Names on the back Essence Carson, Kia Vaughn, and Cappie.
Next game in Brooklyn, Wednesday.

Can't wait for Game 4 tomorrow night. Gritty game they all played to get to G4. The defensive effort, intensity, as a team, was so much better. The refs let them play, which, Jonquel more than anybody else on either team, benefits most from because she can still get off her shots through some contact. She and Stewie did a great job of helping off weakside to block shots of Aja and anyone else who thought they had a sure layup.

Looked like they made a concerted effort to get Nijah involved early. Smart move, although she seemed to be a little tight. At the very least, it lessened the pressure on Stewie or Sabrina to set the tone offensively at the start. Jonquel was more than willing to put the team on her back offensively. Thankfully, the shots started falling on their homecourt. Loved the attitude that Stewie played with, taking it to Aja. Nijah did pretty well slowing Jackie Young.

Marine J was a huge liability on the defensive end. Her minutes probably should go to K Thornton. With the unfortunate loss of Gray for G4, maybe Marine can guard K Bell, S Colson, or A Clark.

Kiah Stokes is also a no go for the Aces. Think we're due for both Jonquel and Stewie to "ball out" in the same game.

Oh well. Season over! Brondello way out coached by Becky. Vegas wins their 2nd back to back. Laney is way too tentative she has open looks. Stewart, and Vandersloot were awful, very poor shooting,
Lots to look forward to in 2024

• Sad
The tougher team won. As much as I dislike the trophy presentation comments and mannerisms of Colson, she exemplified the toughness that the team played with that made the difference ultimately.

No way Stewie and Jonquel should have allowed A Clark or Jackie Young to stop them in the post, ....or keep them from getting to their spots. Aja would not be denied when her team had to have points.

Liberty just would not make that extra pass tonight....like they had done during their most dominating and effective efforts this season. Stewie still forced the tough shots. Most of them did not seem to be confident in their shot from the arc(surprisingly, Betnijah also).

I know it's after the fact but, I think they would have been better off on that last possession to not call the time out and attack for the first good shot while the defense cannot prep for you. Everyone hit the offensive boards strong in case of a miss. Foul if you don't get the rebound. Had a feeling that 8 sec was going to lead to one desperation heave. The indecision on the part of everyone who touched it in that final 8 seconds spoke volumes about the way they played for the majority of this series.

I knew they were in trouble tonight when they didn't keep their foot on the gas in the second quarter. Brondello's sub pattern that quarter didn't help.

In summary, the team was too inconsistent with team chemistry and players' roles. As Becky H said in the huddle, "beat em with discpline, stick with the process", ...her cohesive unit did just that. Everyone knew, and played their role.

Reactions: eso1989
I think they would have been better off on that last possession to not call the time out and attack for the first good shot while the defense cannot prep for you

I agree, especially when Brondello’s ‘play’ call in the huddle was a hot mess in that time out. No wonder the players were completely indecisive. Credit excellent team defense by the Aces to forcing the ball to the teams worst shooter in Vandersloot.

Stewie and Jones are free agents. Will be interesting if Liberty are able to keep both. I love Jonquel’s game and toughness. I wish they would move on from Sloot, brings little offense anymore and is not a good defender.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT