ADVERTISEMENT

“The future is bright” crowd…

mikemarc1

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2005
Serious question looking for a serious answer.

What do you see that makes you think this? Big recruit coming? Young stud over performing this season?

What should I be excited for in 2023? Cause I’m having trouble figuring it out

Serious question looking for a serious answer.

What do you see that makes you think this? Big recruit coming? Young stud over performing this season?

What should I be excited for in 2023? Cause I’m having trouble figuring it out

Stop trying to figure it out. 2023-2026 will look a lot like tonight except for the bottom feeder FCS teams Schiano will schedule.
You guys should get a room. Seriously. If I cared enough about morons like you guys, I'd bump these threads in 2 years, when we've turned the corner (but I don't and I'll simply just be happy we brought Greg back to rebuild the program), as this was always going to be a 4-5 year rebuild and we're making reasonable progress everywhere except QB, which is why we lost tonight. Defense was superb, special teams were pretty good, and the offense was decent when Vedral was able to get past his hand problems, but unfortunately, that wasn't the whole night. A bit disappointed in some of the discipline issues, but I think that will improve. Still think we get to the 5 wins I predicted.

You guys should get a room. Seriously. If I cared enough about morons like you guys, I'd bump these threads in 2 years, when we've turned the corner (but I don't and I'll simply just be happy we brought Greg back to rebuild the program), as this was always going to be a 4-5 year rebuild and we're making reasonable progress everywhere except QB, which is why we lost tonight. Defense was superb, special teams were pretty good, and the offense was decent when Vedral was able to get past his hand problems, but unfortunately, that wasn't the whole night. A bit disappointed in some of the discipline issues, but I think that will improve. Still think we get to the 5 wins I predicted.
lol

Temple was the wake-up. Iowa was the ok..we almost got it. Tonight was the WTF?! Where are the other two wins you projected coming from? Indy? (home- maybe) @ MSU? @ Minny? @ UMD? UM? PSU?

Big fan of yours, but this was a really bad loss tonight. Your post looks reasonable, but it ignores the way this game played out. We dominated the first half….almost 200 yards passing and missed a bunch of scoring opportunities. Total change of philosophy in second half….we came out and played scared. We thought a less than 2 score lead was enough and we put too much pressure on the defense. I don’t know how you look at this game and think we’re moving in the right direction. I really hope I’m wrong, but things feel very very wrong within this program.

Can we get Wimsatt healthy. He has to play . If he is no good then we are in trouble.

The loss stinks but enough positives to keep my hope for the future.

1. Defense only gave up 14 and really only one long scoring drive.
2. Many of our better defense players are young and should/could continue to improve.
3. Brown is a Stud
4. Special teams with another blocked kick.

We win this game with an OC not named Sean Gleeson

It’s very obvious and apparent we have to fire the current OC.
We have no QB, even if GW can become a competent RPO guy, he will get dinged and there’s no one to replace him in the program

Reactions: bac2therac
The loss stinks but enough positives to keep my hope for the future.

1. Defense only gave up 14 and really only one long scoring drive.
2. Many of our better defense players are young and should/could continue to improve.
3. Brown is a Stud
4. Special teams with another blocked kick.

We win this game with an OC not named Sean Gleeson
On greg, he's too conservative with a lead. Gleeson sucks

Hate to say i told you (the diamonds in sky crowd) so but....

My fear is going forward the offense will need to be rebuilt by overachieving, underrecruited QBs and WRs. The amount of negative recruiting against any soft verbals is going to be insurmountable unless a coaching change is made.

My fear is going forward the offense will need to be rebuilt by overachieving, underrecruited QBs and WRs. The amount of negative recruiting against any soft verbals is going to be insurmountable unless a coaching change is made.
Negative recruiting???
In the P-5 world it’s pay for play and portal free agency that will kill us

Big fan of yours, but this was a really bad loss tonight. Your post looks reasonable, but it ignores the way this game played out. We dominated the first half….almost 200 yards passing and missed a bunch of scoring opportunities. Total change of philosophy in second half….we came out and played scared. We thought a less than 2 score lead was enough and we put too much pressure on the defense. I don’t know how you look at this game and think we’re moving in the right direction. I really hope I’m wrong, but things feel very very wrong within this program.

Well put..

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
Playing time still matters so you can get players. You'll lose some you'll get some. I don't think that's as big an issue as some make it out to be. Grayson McCall didn't leave Coastal Carolina, he's still there. WSU just got a solid qb and OC from the FCS. Max Duggan is still at TCU after he got passed over for the starting spot at the start of the season. Hartman is still at WF etc...

Last edited:
This will be a week of gloom and doom on this board as the naysayers dominate the conversation.

Watching the game I got the feeling that Greg wanted to take the air out of the ball up 13-0.

Penalties and lack of discipline is not the sign of a well coached team. I’m starting to lose faith in Greg 2.0.

Last edited:
Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
I have no issue with fans who are optimistic about our future, hell I am one of them, however, where some of them lose me is expecting Greg Schiano to be the coach that delivers us this great future. Greg at this point is a known commodity, his record speaks for itself, in his 14 years at the helm of Rutgers football he has delivered a few great moments, but for the vast majority of the time he has delivered rather boring defensive oriented mediocre football. To expect anything else from a Greg Schiano coached team defies logic and his record. Greg is a good coach, not great, and during his tenure he will stabilize the program, but to take the next step will take a next generation HC, that is just reality.

I personally think we have fixed defense. We are really young there but we look good defensively and our DC is good.

STs is a mixed bag.

Offense is a train wreck and my big concern is we have a defensive minded coach who is constantly building his defense with recruiting and then he looks at his offense last.

You can't win consistently in 2022 playing 20-17, 13-10 games.

How do you think portal players decide to go ? Recruiting.
Don’t understand the question Shelby?
They can move to a place right off the bat that offers NIL guaranteed money to every scholarship player and position group.
Do you think Brown is going to be offered an enticing package to possibly leave?
71 could help anyone immediately

Last edited:
"Defense was superb" against an absolutely putrid Nebraska offense. This amazing D also let up 27 to a horrible Iowa offense btw.

This will be a week of gloom and doom on this board as the naysayers dominate the conversation.

Watching the game I got the feeling that Greg wanted to take the air out of the ball up 13-0.

Penalties and lack of discipline is not the sign of a well coached team. I’m starting to lose faith in Greg 2.0.
QBs throw 3 INTs he should have taken the air out of the ball. Brown and pound.

There is some serious young talent on the defense. DC seems like a stud too. It’s really going to come down to Greg having a come to Jesus moment with the offense. It was easy to blame talent the last 2 seasons, but now the proof is in the pudding.

Reactions: RUskoolie

Actually he got conservative after the punt block IIRC, a few wishful thinking dives centering the ball for the FG. Thought that would be in his overconfident mind.

Don’t understand the question Shelby?
They can move to a place right off the bat that offers NIL guaranteed money to every scholarship player and position group.
Do you think Brown is going to be offered an enticing package to possibly leave?
71 could help anyone immediately
NIL, yes. But there are also players who’ve played above their initial recruited level and want more exposure, more PT etc and transfer for that reason. Schiano ain’t convincing any decent FBS qb to come here when they see the dysfunction and ineptitude.

Reactions: zappaa
We have seen consistent improvement over the past few years. You guys have very quickly forgotten what things were like before GS 2.0 started.

I also don’t have a twisted view of this rebuild where I think we should be at 8-9 wins this season.

The large majority of the fan base was expecting 3-5 wins this season. Whether you guys like it or not, he’s on pace for that right now.

Should we have won last night? Sure, but we will likely pick up a W we weren’t expecting.

You aren’t being honest with yourself if you haven’t seen the program improve year over year.

Playing time still matters so you can get players. You'll lose some you'll get some. I don't think that's as big an issue as some make it out to be. Grayson McCall didn't leave Coastal Carolina, he's still there. WSU just got a solid qb and OC from the FCS. Max Duggan is still at TCU after he got passed over for the starting spot at the start of the season. Hartman is still at WF etc...
I think I have seen you express this view in multiple threads and wonder if you have a good sense of where RU is in the current P-5 football food chain? I would think if there were five tiers we would in either tier 4-5 thus more likely a development/feeder program rather than one that can develop and retain talent in a pay for play environment. Yes if we can start winning and Schiano gets really good at the transfer portal then maybe we can be successful with a lot of annual roster movement and 1-2 rentals but that remains to be seen.

Already it is evident that recruiting is harder for RU with NIL and that we are unlikely to generate the funding to play that game well. You can hear Schiano washing his hands of recruiting responsibility by saying "I need X dollars to recruit and retain annually. While SEC fan bases will respond positively that is just not going to happen here. Maybe some rules get put in place to level the playing field, but the immediate future for HS recruiting looks like a lot of 2-3 star kids with just couple of other P-5 offer that need significant development. It makes you wonder how large a class of recruits of that caliber you want to take every year versus just keeping additional spots open for transfers.

Even when I think about the transfer market, the best transfers are going to be highly sought after commodities and here again we are not going to be competitive with SEC and upper echelon B-10 and even P-12/B-12 teams. Its no longer about just selling a program its mostly about $. Kids are looking to get paid a handsome sum just to join your program in case the NFL does not work out. So yes you can point out that Clawson and Jamey Caldwell have managed to keep things going but they have a track record and its very early in the new environment. Honestly I am not sure what the ideal HC looks like anymore. Its more about how supportive is your booster/business community that can be the difference maker over the long term.

Guys like this can certainly get under our skin. But, instead of anger, isn't pity the correct response?

Think about their existence. Must be brutal, getting off on the misfortune of others. One would think that they haven't worked hard, and achieved. Don't understand the concept of having goals, and performing the hard work required to accomplish them.

Last night was difficult, for us fans. But, that's life. We'll go on with our successful lives, We'll cheer the success of others. While these poor lost souls will wallow in their miserable existence. Would probably be reasonable to think that these are young kids. Maybe there is time for them to learn how to be a more positive force in the world.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT