ADVERTISEMENT

2 Big Breaks we caught...

Freeman is much farther below the line for a F than Baker is below the line for a G, but I agree that Baker's FG% isn't great for a guard, either. It has definitely dropped off in conference once the competition stepped up and the scouting report was out on him.

I just looked at the ESPN "Big Ten FG% leaders" list (must play 75% of games, and avg at least 5 shots/game), and broke it out by position.
Average FG% for a F/C was 52.5% across the 26 players that made the Top 100 (24 F & 2 C)
- Omoruyi is 21st with 45.2%
- Freeman is 26th with 39.9%.

Average FG% for a G was 42.6% across 40 players that made the Top 100
- Thiam is 17th with 42.2%
- Sanders is 31st with 38.4%
- Baker is 33rd with 38.1%.

I agree that the whole team doesn't shoot well. Comparing Freeman's shooting to Baker's, though, is way off base.

LOL. I was typing almost the exact same think while you were.

. . . I agree that the whole team doesn't shoot well. Comparing Freeman's shooting to Baker's, though, is way off base.
You've run off on a tangent based one sentence intended for a different purpose--that is, to note, not build an argument on, one player who shoots badly but doesn't get the calls for replacement that another does. I understand that Gs generally shoot at a lower percentage. But at RU all positions shoot badly. And, while Baker's may stink less than Freeman, there ain't no other post-up guy on RU. This is the team we have, and it's loaded with bad shooters. Thus, 343 out of 351.

I will never understand why, with a handful of games left in his career, the need to trash Freeman>>> the most dependable player we have had in years, who is our 2nd leading scorer while leading the team in rebounds, blocks, steals & double doubles.

Reactions: rubaseball78
I will never understand why, with a handful of games left in his career, the need to trash Freeman>>> the most dependable player we have had in years, who is our 2nd leading scorer while leading the team in rebounds, blocks, steals & double doubles.
I didn't but my guess it has a lot to do with the fact that our head coach..who made him the first team captain early on..found it necessary to bench him with just a handful of games (and one very winnable at home) left in his career at RU.

Now having said that...I would agree that it doesn't matter much now....for me, the rest of the season is going to be what t is going to be...and I am just thrilled we won that game.

Reactions: bac2therac
You've run off on a tangent based one sentence intended for a different purpose--that is, to note, not build an argument on, one player who shoots badly but doesn't get the calls for replacement that another does. I understand that Gs generally shoot at a lower percentage. But at RU all positions shoot badly. And, while Baker's may stink less than Freeman, there ain't no other post-up guy on RU. This is the team we have, and it's loaded with bad shooters. Thus, 343 out of 351.

Yes, we're loaded with bad-to-mediocre shooters - but there's a reason why Freeman takes more heat than Geo (or most of the rest of the team).

I thought the refs let 'em play last night BUT, Northwestern is the Land of the Moving Screen. On a whole lot of their picks the screener's feet were never set and they often used their forearms like pass blockers (just watch Skelly #44). This freed the cutter for quite a few open shots and I thought gave NW a bit of an edge on offense (at least for the first 25-30 minutes).

Reactions: SirScarlet
I thought the refs let 'em play last night BUT, Northwestern is the Land of the Moving Screen. On a whole lot of their picks the screener's feet were never set and they often used their forearms like pass blockers (just watch Skelly #44). This freed the cutter for quite a few open shots and I thought gave NW a bit of an edge on offense (at least for the first 25-30 minutes).
This season has been the season of moving screen foul calls. Each team would get 3 or 4 each. Yesterday, none that I can remember. The officiating was an absolute joke.

Reactions: SirScarlet
This season has been the season of moving screen foul calls. Each team would get 3 or 4 each. Yesterday, none that I can remember. The officiating was an absolute joke.

I think Omoruyi got called for the screen that leveled McIntosh.

The illegal screen call was a focus point this season, and we saw a lot of it early on in the year.... not so much recently, though. We get away with a lot of screens with widely spaced legs, which was called a ton earlier in the year and hasn't been as much lately.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT