ADVERTISEMENT

2016 - 2017 - Roster Updated

obrats

Senior
Mar 28, 2013
I posted up top on the sticky thread but decided to make it's own thread down here, not sure if everyone checks up there.

2016 - 2017 Roster was updated today (yes I have been checking everyday for a month).

Looks like the only guy that was on the team last year and who is no longer on the roster (that didn't graduate)

Luis Gonzalez - 125 pounder who beat Patrick in a tournament last year. Was hoping he stayed around as I thought he could help the team.

The incoming freshman and transfers (counting Gross as a transfer) are not listed yet but here is who are listed and weight listed as.

125 - Peter Lipari (wrestled 133 and 141 all last year)
125 - Sean McCabe
125 - Josh Patrick

133 - Scott DelVecchio
133/141 - Tyson Dippery

141 - Anthony Ashnault
141 - Nicholas Ottaviano

149 - Anthony Giraldo
149 - William Povalac
149 - Ken Theobold

157 - Richie Lewis
157 - John Van Brill

165 - Anthony Pafumi
165 - Dylan Painton
165 - Willie Scott

174 - Phillip Bakuckas
174 - Jordan Pagano

184 - Nicholas Gravina

197 - Kyle Kremiller
197 - Anthony Messner

285 - Ralph Normandia

Link is here http://www.scarletknights.com/sports/m-wrestl/mtt/rutu-m-wrestl-mtt.html

Who I expect to be added shortly (Freshman and Transfers)

125/133 Brandon Paetzell
125/133 Alex Mackall - think he had surgery after the season
141 Mike Van Brill
149 John Finnerty
149/157 Eleazar Deluca
165 Joe Grello
174/184 Brett Donner - he is short hope he can make 174
197 Kevin Mulligan
285 Matt Correnti
285 Razohnn Gross
285 Marc McDonald

This brings the roster to 32 and in the past the limit was 30. So not sure if 2 are not coming or if roster limit was expanded. Maybe Bill can let us know?

Last edited:
I'm a fan of not redshirting Lewis. He is clearly ready for D1 competition and not using the RS right away means he has flexibility to take a medical one if something happens. I also think his best weight is 157 and Theo and Giraldo are better at 149, but that's just an outsider's perspective, I would defer to coaches and athletes should they later change weights.

also have a lot of respect for Dippery to even try to make 133. My stomach growls for him.

Theobold vs. Giraldo and Dippery vs. DelVecchio will be interesting battles but gotta assume Theo and DelVecchio win out. Our lower 5 weights will be really good - McCabe, Dippery/DelVecchio, Ash, Theo/Giraldo, Lewis. Those are some tough kids.

The battles between new and old guys at the upper weights will also be very interesting. Grello, Mulligan, and Correnti will be leading the way for us at some point, and all three come in at weights that are up for grabs. Just not sure it's this year for any of them.

Correnti wants to go to 197. Not so sure who wins at 133 between Dip and Scott.

They would battle for the spot with Messner. Dipp scores points turning people and Scott would have to cope with that. It will get interesting. There will be no wrestle-offs this year. Everyone will go to the ESU Open and the best there will wrestle. Everyone is unattached.

No wrestle-0ffs? That blows. It was always fun and gets u pumped for the season.

They would battle for the spot with Messner. Dipp scores points turning people and Scott would have to cope with that. It will get interesting. There will be no wrestle-offs this year. Everyone will go to the ESU Open and the best there will wrestle. Everyone is unattached.
So I wanted to let this marinade for a few days before responding. Whats the longer range plan for these two, Mulligan and Correnti? If it is to over the next 4-5 years battle for the 197 spot I think that is a terrible idea and a waste of talent one way or another (not to mention a waste of scholarship money) I know we want depth but these are not depth guys.

The two scenario's that I can see being beneficial to the program is one Mulligan being able to go down to 184 and Correnti going 197 for their careers. Or two, and I think I like this one better, (if Mulligan and Correnti are both better than Messner and Kremiller) let Correnti wrestle this year at 197 and redshirt Mulligan. Next season Mulligan wrestle 197 and Correnti starts bulking up redshirts and comes back bigger and ready to take over at heavy weight.

What do others think about this situation?

Reactions: RU23 and plcoolg
So I wanted to let this marinade for a few days before responding. Whats the longer range plan for these two, Mulligan and Correnti? If it is to over the next 4-5 years battle for the 197 spot I think that is a terrible idea and a waste of talent one way or another (not to mention a waste of scholarship money) I know we want depth but these are not depth guys.

The two scenario's that I can see being beneficial to the program is one Mulligan being able to go down to 184 and Correnti going 197 for their careers. Or two, and I think I like this one better, (if Mulligan and Correnti are both better than Messner and Kremiller) let Correnti wrestle this year at 197 and redshirt Mulligan. Next season Mulligan wrestle 197 and Correnti starts bulking up redshirts and comes back bigger and ready to take over at heavy weight.

Does Gross have 1 or 2 years of eligibility available at heavyweight? If so I think that might work out

I thought the long term plan was for Correnti to grow into the HWT slot?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT