ADVERTISEMENT

2019 last spot??

bowlgoal

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jul 20, 2004
So we missed on the kid who went to VCU. With all the Juco players, transfers and unsigned freshman, one would think we would have many visits lined up? I understand we could roll the scholarship to 2020 but shocking we are not talking about other options?

There are a few sit out transfers I'd want but yeah it's been quiet on the 2019 front.

Would be really dumb IMO to get stuck with an open scholarship two seasons in a row.

There are a few sit out transfers I'd want but yeah it's been quiet on the 2019 front.

Would be really dumb IMO to get stuck with an open scholarship two seasons in a row.
I agree. It's not like we've signed other 2020's as of yet and we are low on those ships. My guess is we are actively involved with a few that nobody knows about?

Given the arguments over minutes and rotation for next year in other threads, I'd be fine with a project big man that would redshirt or a sit-out transfer. Also really dont think it's a huge deal to roll it over.

Wow. That’s a little sobering.

Part of it is that we've only had one scholarship in play for a long time. When Mulcahy committed last May, that left us with one (there was the open spot, plus Doorson graduating). So Yeboah's commitment would've filled out our roster, but Thiam's situation created another opening. And in college basketball you've always got to be ready for roster spots to open. Guys get homesick, unhappy with their minutes, or turn out to be criminals.

Bright side is only 7/14 Big Ten schools have a 2020 prospect committed right now. But still...

Reactions: Scangg and dkostus
So we missed on the kid who went to VCU. With all the Juco players, transfers and unsigned freshman, one would think we would have many visits lined up? I understand we could roll the scholarship to 2020 but shocking we are not talking about other options?
Dead period started last Friday and I think it ends Thursday at 11:59 p.m. when a quiet period starts and goes until June 12. So earliest visit would start Friday.

Reactions: Dpgru and biazza38
Dead period started last Friday and I think it ends Thursday at 11:59 p.m. when a quiet period starts and goes until June 12. So earliest visit would start Friday.
Thanks Russ.

Reactions: Russ Wood
Taking 4 kids last year (Mathis, McConnell, Harper and Jacob Young) really capped things for a bit. I think the 2020 class is key, but nothing earth shattering.

A sit out transfer can still make sense but my guess would be to replace Yeboah/Eugene.

Reactions: Scangg

What's the difference between a dead period and a quiet period?

Taking 4 kids last year (Mathis, McConnell, Harper and Jacob Young) really capped things for a bit. I think the 2020 class is key, but nothing earth shattering.

A sit out transfer can still make sense but my guess would be to replace Yeboah/Eugene.
Well we are replacing Eugene, Yeboah and Shaq Carter so it’s a pretty important recruiting class. We have seen a lot of 2020 kids come through the doors and I think it’s an extremely important class. If we don’t fill the last 2019 spot for some reason, it’ll be 4 open slots. I think we would be fine with the 12 scholarship players but I’m not sure what we will get from Doucoure so I hope we fill the spot.

Reactions: Scangg
Joel Ntambwe is target #1, 2 and 3 for me but I think he's more likely to return to UNLV than transfer anywhere now. Currently going through the draft process but didn't even get a G League combine invite so he'll withdraw.

I’m fine with rolling it to 2020. We’ve had a head start in recruiting that class. It’s a monster opportunity for Pike to rocket this program upward. He will have a finished state of the art practice facility. He has all the momentum and possible support going for the program from school and fan base. Everything is there for the taking.

The 2020 class is huge. HUGE. Time to get it done on the recruiting trail.

I’m fine with rolling it to 2020. We’ve had a head start in recruiting that class. It’s a monster opportunity for Pike to rocket this program upward. He will have a finished state of the art practice facility. He has all the momentum and possible support going for the program from school and fan base. Everything is there for the taking.

The 2020 class is huge. HUGE. Time to get it done on the recruiting trail.

Not sure we have any kind of head start. Half the conference has a 2020 recruit committed (at least one) and I'm not sure we're really the favorites for any big prospects at this stage.

Reactions: Local Shill
What's the difference between a dead period and a quiet period?
Good question.

Quiet Period: College coaches cannot go off campus to visit prospects, watch their games etc. Coaches can call, text, etc., prospects during a quiet period. Prospects can take unofficial or official visits.

Dead Period: All in-person recruiting activity stops. Coaches cannot go off campus (like in a quiet period) and prospects cannot visit campuses. Coaches can call, text, FaceTime, etc., prospects.

Coaches will often take vacation time with family, schedule doctor, dentist appointments etc, during a dead period.

Reactions: RUHouston and kcg88
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT