ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Southern Scuffle Update Thread

Aguilar loses 4-1 to Logan Treaster of Navy. Zero offense from Aguilar in this one and it's an upset loss.

Aguilar will wrestle Sean Carter (App State) for 7th place.

Alvarez and Phillippi are tied 0-0 after 1. Both guys have been aggressive and Sammy has been close but no scoring yet. Sammy is on top to start the 2nd

Alvarez and Phillippi are tied 2-2 after 2, but Sammy has 1:10 of ride time and will go on bottom to start the 3rd.

Quick escape for Sammy and he leads 3-2 with 1:05 of ride time with 1 min left!

Sammy hit for stalling so it's tied 3-3 with 30 seconds to go

Alvarez will face #8 ranked Cam Sykora from North Dakota State in the finals

Suriano would get choice where he goes.
He should beat both Aguilar and Alvarez (RedShirt?)

Sammy is going nowhere. Nick made a choice that was best for him. What is best for the wrestler and this program long term is for Sammy to stay firmly in place at 133.

Edit: Just saw people were referring to Nick returning next season. I still think Nick has moved on to the next stage of his life, but will be interesting to see what happens if he does return.

Sammy is going nowhere. Nick made a choice that was best for him. What is best for the wrestler and this program long term is for Sammy to stay firmly in place at 133.

Edit: Just saw people were referring to Nick returning next season. I still think Nick has moved on to the next stage of his life, but will be interesting to see what happens if he does return.
Yeah I am in agreement that I think Nick thinks his work is done here and won't return.

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof
MVB gets reversed to start the 3rd to lose 5-2 to Hunter Willits (Oregon State).

He will wrestle for 7th.

Donner getting bullied by #9 Jake Wentzel. Down 10-0 after 1 with almost 3 mins of ride time. No idea how he didn't get pinned. He was on his back the entire period, but he kept fighting.

Donner loses by TF 18-2 to #9 Jake Wentzel.

He will wrestle Ebed Jarrell (Drexel) for 7th

I rewatched his match. He is quick. I’m
Sure he was tired, but his effort level never seemed to wane (strategic stalling more than winded stalling IMO). Those are some good ingredients to be cooking with.
Very impressed with how Alvarez wrestled.. kid is only a true freshman too wow..! Def the mvp of our team so far... Philippi is no joke... besides Suriano he was only guy to beat Daton fix and Alvarez outwrestled him in all 3 phases ... we got a serious AA contender here folks

Wrestling tonight at 7:30pm :

Championship Mat: 133 Sammy 'The Bull" Alvarez (5 seed, 13th ranked) vs Cam Sykora (2 seed, 8th ranked), ND St.

7/8th place bouts;

125: Nic Aguilar (2 seed, 8th ranked) vs S Carter (No seed, NR) , App St

157: Mike Van Brill ( 7 seed, NR) vs Jared Frankek (8 seed/NR) ND St.

165: Brett Donner (no seed, NR) vs Ebed Jarrell (7 seed, NR), Drexel

197: Jared Pagano ( 6 seed, 17th ranked) vs Nick Reenan (3 seed, 13th ranked), NC. St.

Rutgers currently in 7th place with 74 points, a half point behind Pitt with 74.5. (Rider in 8th)

Reactions: Clearscreen25
Alvarez is living up to his nickname. Hopefully, he takes home the title tonight. One heck of a performance thus far.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT