ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Southern Scuffle Update Thread

Correnti wins 5-2 and will face Jacob Cardenas next round.

Would be cool to see Pagano vs Correnti at some point. Coaching staff is going to have some tough decisions come March. Both guys are NQ potential.

Would be cool to see Pagano vs Correnti at some point. Coaching staff is going to have some tough decisions come March. Both guys are NQ potential.
Only way they meet is in the 3rd place match, after checking the brackets. Crazy how we legit have 2 wrestlers that can make the Dance at 197 at the same time. Correnti once he was settled at 197 and not pushed between 197 and Heavy has been quietly very good. I think Goodale would go Pagano as hes a 6th year senior and Correnti still has one year of eligibility left, if both are still neck and neck by the end of January. First world problem to say the least.

After Day 1:

Stock Up: Aguilar, Alvarez, Aragona, Kanniard, Donner, Correnti, Pagano, Scott

Stock Down: Grello, Angelo, Turley, Esposito

No Change: MVB, Firestone, Robinson

Man, winner of that might determine which direction Goodale goes in at 157 in the 2nd half of the season.

I really hope we don't pull Kanniards redshirt. We aren't going to win anything as a team this year and MVB is serviceable enough. The future is very bright and I'd rather give him a whole another year to develop. Look at the jump Aguilar made in year 2.

Alvarez vs Phillippi will be a measuring stick in the Semis tomorrow. Win that one and I might seriously start to believe that Alvarez will end up an AA as a TF.

Beating Phillippi would almost make AA an expectation.

Alvarez is a work horse and he has a funky style. Problem is his funky style puts him into some awkward scrambles and he puts himself in danger when he shouldn’t. Pretty sure we saw that in his last match today.

Him and Aguilar are Rutgers co-MVPs to this point.

Even though Aguilar and Aragona lost I thought both looked great against solid top 10 caliber guys and showed they are in the conversation for AA. Also love how Kanniard keeps coming at you. Maybe Grello could take something from him :)

After Day 1:

Not sure I can stock up Aguilar when he was #2 seed and higher ranked wrestler losing

Only way they meet is in the 3rd place match, after checking the brackets. Crazy how we legit have 2 wrestlers that can make the Dance at 197 at the same time. Correnti once he was settled at 197 and not pushed between 197 and Heavy has been quietly very good. I think Goodale would go Pagano as hes a 6th year senior and Correnti still has one year of eligibility left, if both are still neck and neck by the end of January. First world problem to say the least.
Nope they can also meet in 5th or 7th place match.

After Day 1:

Not sure I can stock up Aguilar when he was #2 seed and higher ranked wrestler losing

I get what you're saying, but that kid he lost to, and should have beat, went 31-6 last year and made it to the round of 12

Kid is a blood round guy who is redshirting this year which is the only reason he was seeded much lower. Aguilar was beating him the entire match and lost it with 9 seconds to go. He wrestled great and showed he can compete with those caliber of guys.

Day 2 (Thur 10am) :

Semi Final :

133- 5 seed Alvarez (ranked 13 Flo) vs 1 seed Mickey Phillipi (ranked 4 ), Pitt

Wrestlebacks:

125- 2 seed Nic Aguilar (ranked 8th) vs A. Kilic (NR), Navy

141- JoJo Aragona (NR) vs A. Martinoni (NR), Cal St Bakersfield

157- 7 seed Mike Van Brill (NR) vs Robert Kanniard (NR)

165- Brett Donner (NR) vs C. Straw (NR), Iowa St.

197- 6 seed Jordan Pagano (ranked 17) vs 5 seed J. Seely (ranked 23) N. Colorado

197 - Matt Correnti (NR) vs 7 seed Jacob Cardenas (NR), Finger Lakes WC /Cornell Grayshirt/ Bergen Catholic

Reactions: MS-RU
Kid is a blood round guy who is redshirting this year which is the only reason he was seeded much lower. Aguilar was beating him the entire match and lost it with 9 seconds to go. He wrestled great and showed he can compete with those caliber of guys.

Agree, I thought this match showed he is right there with Blood Round and AA guys. The guy would have been seeded over Aguilar, but has not wrestled much this season. As I have stated(already ate my plate of crow) Aguilar having a much better year than I thought(I figured he needed 1 more year to get bigger).

141 Aragona mff out. I thought I noticed him grimace holding his ribs or abdomen in his last match yesterday. Hope not serious.

125 Aguilar advances via mff.

Thursday, January 2

10 AM - 5th Round of Consolation

Noon - Championship Semifinals, Consolation Quarterfinals

2 PM - Consolation Semifinals

7 PM - Championship Finals & Medal Matches

141 Aragona mff out. I thought I noticed him grimace holding his ribs or abdomen in his last match yesterday. Hope not serious.

125 Aguilar advances via mff.

Thursday, January 2

10 AM - 5th Round of Consolation

Noon - Championship Semifinals, Consolation Quarterfinals

2 PM - Consolation Semifinals

7 PM - Championship Finals & Medal Matches

Noticed that too,I think it was after he got hit with the tilt. I thought it was just a shot to the groin the way he got up from it. But it looked like he was holding his wrist at one point so maybe it was that

Ugh, let's hope Aragona isn't seriously injured. His growth this season has been slowed enough by injuries already.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I just rewatched the Argona- Shoop match. 30 seconds into the 3rd period , Aragona appears to injure his groin.
Interesting that to start the 3rd, it was Shoop's choice, and he elected to go on top (don't see that often), w score tied at 4. And sure enough, he was able to turn Aragona for 2 points. That's confidence !

Mat 4- Kanniard vs Van Brill

Last edited:
I just rewatched the Argona- Shoop match. 30 seconds into the 3rd period , Aragona appears to injure his groin.
Interesting that to start the 3rd, it was Shoop's choice, and he elected to go on top (don't see that often), w score tied at 4. And sure enough, he was able to turn Aragona for 2 points. That's confidence !

Mat 4- Kanniard vs Van Brill
Shoop is known for his top game. Just like Willie Scott. Just like Ethan Lizak.

Been four years ..still never shoots !
MVB is a backup/depth guy at best. Nice piece off the bench, but 157 is Kannaird's to lose next season.
You act like MVB got beat by some stiff ....that kid is the 5th ranked 157lber in the country and he jumped on him 4-0 ....yea he needs work on bottom game ...I might mention Kanniard got beat pretty bad by the 32nd ranked kid who is a true freshmen so I love all your prognostication about who should be where...

Reactions: ChasRC69
MVB up 2-0 after 1 with 2 mins of ride time. Almost had the cradle early on but couldn't turn him.

Reactions: Clearscreen25
Glad to see MVB cement his position.
I do not assume that he will be out of the mix next year.

Agree, he "big brothered" Kannaird. MVB too much for him on the mat. Next season will be interesting.....I think 157-will be between MVB and Vulakh(unless he can make 149) and Kannaird(unless he moves up to 165). 165-think Turley redshirts and between Glasgow(if he is ready) and would not surprise me if O'Neil is in the mix.

I think Van Brill now is guaranteed the podium (top 8). I could be wrong.
He next faces 6 seed Hunter Willits, Oregon St

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT