ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Southern Scuffle Update Thread

Opps...challenge, there was one point Donner lifted his leg and it almost appeared he was off mat...we will see

You act like MVB got beat by some stiff ....that kid is the 5th ranked 157lber in the country and he jumped on him 4-0 ....yea he needs work on bottom game ...I might mention Kanniard got beat pretty bad by the 32nd ranked kid who is a true freshmen so I love all your prognostication about who should be where...
MVB did what an upperclassmen should do and beat the talented but slightly raw freshman. He shut me up for now. What's Grello's excuse in the meantime?

The pin would have been great, but to beat an NCAA qualifier and Big 12 Champ is a nice feather in Donner's cap.

Reactions: MS-RU
Correntti down 6-3 after 1. Cardenas has 2+ mins of ride time.

Correnti down 6-4 after 2 and Cardenas has 2+ mins of ride time

Why not focus on what our kids are doing well instead of looking for someone to rip .
This ain't the Boy Scouts, this is D1 wrestling at the highest level. An underachieving upperclassmen is going to get called out by either me or someone else, like it or not. Being a self righteous prick isn't going to stop fans from calling out people who deserve it.

Correnti loses 7-5.

I'm not sure why some of our guys start their match out extremely passive and then wonder why they lose to people they shouldn't. Its the same formula... down big after 1, pick up some points in the 2nd, and then it's a stall fest in the 3rd where they come up just short.

Grello did the exact same thing against Foca yesterday with the exact same result.

This ain't the Boy Scouts, this is D1 wrestling at the highest level. An underachieving upperclassmen is going to get called out by either me or someone else, like it or not. Being a self righteous prick isn't going to stop fans from calling out people who deserve it.

Deserve it???

I'm sorry bigmatt but that is a BS response. Not trying to defend Harley, but Grello has done nothing but show up to work everyday for this program and work his ass off for this University including earning 2 wins at the show last year. Yes, if a kid is taking serious scholly $$ and mails it in then i have no problem calling him out (a kid from that same recruiting class comes to mind).

Would I like to see more out of Grello? Yes. Would I like for him to open things up and start beating top 10 guys? Of course. However, what you see out of Grello offensively is what you saw in HS to some extent and early in college. Perhaps he's just not elite and his ceiling isn't what we would like. I can tell you right now I would bet big $$ that nobody on this board would have the balls to go to Joe's face and ask him "what is your excuse".

Noon matchups :

Semi Final :

133- 5 seed Alvarez (ranked 13 Flo) vs 1 seed Mickey Phillipi (ranked 4 in country ), Pitt

157 7 seed Mike Van Brill vs 6 seed Hunter Willits, Oregon St

165 Brett Donner vs 4 seed Jake Wentzel, Pitt .(ranked 9th in country by Flo, great opportunity for Donner)

197 6 seed Jordan Pagano vs 1 seed Dakota Geer, Ok. St (ranked 7 in country by Flo). Great opportunity for 17th ranked Pagano.

Alvarez -Mat 2

Reactions: MS-RU
So does that mean you’ll go up to Grello and ask him why he isn’t doin as well as you want him to ..

Deserve it???

I'm sorry bigmatt but that is a BS response. Not trying to defend Harley, but Grello has done nothing but show up to work everyday for this program and work his ass off for this University including earning 2 wins at the show last year. Yes, if a kid is taking serious scholly $$ and mails it in then i have no problem calling him out (a kid from that same recruiting class comes to mind).

Would I like to see more out of Grello? Yes. Would I like for him to open things up and start beating top 10 guys? Of course. However, what you see out of Grello offensively is what you saw in HS to some extent and early in college. Perhaps he's just not elite and his ceiling isn't what we would like. I can tell you right now I would bet big $$ that nobody on this board would have the balls to go to Joe's face and ask him "what is your excuse".

Fans are allowed to criticize guys who are underperforming. That comes with being a big 10 athlete. I don’t think any of the criticisms have been out of line so I don’t really see the need to be so defensive about the upperclassmen.

Really excited to see how Alvarez performs vs. Phillipi. As stated previously in this thread, a win here and you have to seriously consider him a top 10 wrestler going forward and a true AA threat. As it stands, I can see a scenario where both Aguilar and Sammy knock seriously on the blood round this year and perhaps advance to the top 8. Nobody would have predicted that 3 months ago.

*Slightly* worried about Jo Jo's health right now. His season is eerily similar to Ashnault's first year in that he was slow to get bonus points, trouble on bottom and nagging injuries. The difference was he was on redshirt. I think Jo Jo is as advertised but wondering it the staff regrets not giving him the RS. But perhaps they had no choice.

Reactions: Leonard23 and MS-RU
Fans are allowed to criticize guys who are underperforming. That comes with being a big 10 athlete. I don’t think any of the criticisms have been out of line so I don’t really see the need to be so defensive about the upperclassmen.

Sure, but to say Grello "deserves" to get criticized by message board posters is weak. The guy ain't a problem in the classroom, the room nor appears to be mailing it in from my point of view. I just don't think he's got elite level offense to take it to the next level. End of story.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChasRC69
Deserve it???

Lol....I concur with that ...he will rip the kid with his keyboard muscles but doubt he will say it to his face ...critiquing is one thing but this guy is relentless on some of these kids .

Reactions: ChasRC69
Aguilar down 2-1 after 1. He is on top and Treaster currently has a 1 min of ride time.

Down 3-1 after 2. Neutral start in the 3rd but Treaster still has 1+ of ride time.

No offense from Aguilar yet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT