ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Southern Scuffle Update Thread

Aragona loses to Shoop 6-5. The 2 nearfall in the 3rd was the difference, but that was JoJo's best match to date.

Shoop is a killer on top and that's where he won it. JoJo was the better wrestler on their feet.

Aguilar looked pretty good against McGhee. Very funky wrestler. Probably a coin flip match every time.

Alvarez nice late win.

I thought that was Aragona’s best match of the year so far. One turn cost him.

Willie Scott has a flair for these late 3rd period wins. Kanniard looks phenomenal. Grello picks up a nice win and Donner with a sloppier win but I’ll take it. All things considered, I think this was a pretty solid day 1. Hopefully pick up a few more consi wins to close the night. MVB up soon too.

Reactions: R U Crazy
The commentator on this MVB match sounds like he’s a high schooler. He’s been doing a great job all day honestly. Very knowledgeable for what it seems like his age is.

MVB gets absolutely mauled by Dellavecchia from Rider 14-5 and gave 4:30 mins of ride time

Well, got one into the semis with 2 close losses in the semis.

11 still alive.

Top 7 finish?

MVB is a backup/depth guy at best. Nice piece off the bench, but 157 is Kannaird's to lose next season.

157 Kannaird
165 Vulakh

Glasgow can battle it out with one of the two.

The only hole on the team becomes heavyweight, but Esposito isn’t terrible. Hopefully Poz plans to bump up to 197 and fill the hole that’ll be left by Correnti after next year. Kyonte at heavyweight. Team should be pretty good soon.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Pagano dominates in consos and advances. Is that the last match of the day for RU? Looking forward to a break for tonight. Let's get plenty of wrestlers on the podium tomorrow!!

Pagano wins by MD 9-1 to advance in the consolation bracket as well.

Well, got one into the semis with 2 close losses in the semis.

11 still alive.

Top 7 finish?

Top 7 finish in a watered down Scuffle is not that great an accomplishment. I take more positives away from Aguilar(of course he needs to do damage on day 2). Alvarez, I thought Aragona had a very good match against Schopp. All others will reserve comment until day 2 is complete. We all knew this was a young team and was going to have ups and downs.

Top 7 finish in a watered down Scuffle is not that great an accomplishment. I take more positives away from Aguilar(of course he needs to do damage on day 2). Alvarez, I thought Aragona had a very good match against Schopp. All others will reserve comment until day 2 is complete. We all knew this was a young team and was going to have ups and downs.
Have to grade RU on a curve without a healthy Janzer and Colucci. Those 2 alone in the lineup likely vaults RU into Top 4 at worst.

So we bring 8 true starters here (Janzer and Correnti excluded)

7 are still alive, thought only 1 in the championship bracket.

4 backups are still alive including a redshirt, with Esposito being the only guy left to wrestle today.

This is pretty good for what is considered a team in a down year.

Reactions: RU Diesel07110
Foca gets teched by Neal Richards (VMI) in his quarterfinal matchup. Richards was a NQ last year.

Have to grade RU on a curve without a healthy Janzer and Colucci. Those 2 alone in the lineup likely vaults RU into Top 4 at worst.

Agree, but I am looking at individual results not team placement. The tournament is not that strong this year. A lot of back ups and weak teams. Day 1 was an ok performance. Liked 125, 133 and thought Aragona wrestled well his last match(his first two opponents had 1 win each this season). 49-was very bad, 57-was not good. 165-it is what it is, gonna be a tuff Feb at this weight. 174-Grello-we know what we have. Lost to a true frosh(a stud, but I thought he would win. And he got teched his next match). 184-stinks cause I wanted Janzer to get some good wins. 197-Hopefully pick up steam day 2. Hwt-again stinks that CC could not wrestle.

Reactions: Leonard23
Kanniard gets the 12-8 MD to advance in the consolation bracket. He will face MVB next. I hope they wrestle, I'd love to see that.

I take that back, Grello was by far the most disappointing.

He lost to another true freshman from Lehigh with only a few wins on the year. He couldn't score a single offensive point. Poz wrestled this kid at the Princeton open and scored more points than Grello. What a pathetic showing.

Reactions: Leonard23

He lost to another true freshman from Lehigh. He couldn't score a single offensive point. Poz wrestled this kid at the Princeton open and scored more points than Grello. What a pathetic showing.
The upperclassmen frankly just aren't good enough (MVB and Grello in particular).

He lost to another true freshman from Lehigh with only a few wins on the year. He couldn't score a single offensive point. Poz wrestled this kid at the Princeton open and scored more points than Grello. What a pathetic showing. He stinks right now.

He seems burnt out or not feeling well. He has the ability just seems like he’s going through the motions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT