ADVERTISEMENT

2023-24 Coaching Carousel

Maybe a little early for this but here we are...

It’s never too early for coaching carousel lol. First firing actually based on performance. It’s 77M for Fisher if they want to let him go.

I love coaching carousel so as the season/offseason goes on I’ll keep bumping this thread with whatever new info comes along.

Last edited:
Wonder if Elko might be their option since he was DC there for Fisher and he's done a nice job at Duke so far.

Reactions: Leonard23
Fisher's inevitable firing puts expectations at some programs into perspective. He was 20 games over 500. The SEC is just a different universe.
7-12 in his last 19 P5 games. 27-21 in conference and most years hovering around .500 in conference. They're shelling out a lot of money for him, his staff and NIL and those numbers aren't good enough. SEC and national championships are what they want. Seeing Texas this year in contention for a CFP spot probably doesn't help either.

Jimbo been there too long. He was brought in to win the SEC and he‘s like 6-7th in the conference.

Yeah, smart agent 🤣. Now how big of a hire do they make, will it be Deion, Urban or someone else?
Don't think UM is coming back to coaching.

Deion is flashy hire and I have seen that name bandied about but not sure if it's really serious.

I think Elko is a good solid name and he's coached there too. No flash but I think could do well.

Lanning was a successful DC at UGA (SEC credibility) and has shown to be able to put together a team with both good offense and defense at Oregon. Oregon has lost coaches like Taggart/Cristobal so they put a 20M buyout into Lanning's deal to prevent moving but what's 20M for A&M spending 75M on Fisher alone lol.

Here we go with a list of potentials from Thamel.

Reactions: Leonard23
At my job in Houston, we negotiated million dollars contracts with our on air talent. Even though the norm was to have big salaries and small bonuses, we changed it to good salaries and big bonuses. We didn’t have to fire them if their rating fell which in later years they did. They probably are grateful that we made the changes since they didn’t want to move to another city.

Texas A&M Is similar to Penn State in that they need to hire the best x and o guy. The place and their NIL deals guarantee great players. Just fine someone to coach them up.

I guess the reforms that I have been hoping for in college athletics are not forthcoming any time soon. This is clearly another step in the wrong direction and I don't care who is actually paying the money owed on his contract. Might as well just make the players employees and let the collective bargaining begin.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I guess the reforms that I have been hoping for in college athletics are not forthcoming any time soon. This is clearly another step in the wrong direction and I don't care who is actually paying the money owed on his contract. Might as well just make the players employees and let the collective bargaining begin.
This is your biggest concern in college athletics? Athletes already have collective bargaining it’s called the portal. Not to mention all their demands during covid which came back to screw many of them

This is your biggest concern in college athletics? Athletes already have collective bargaining it’s called the portal. Not to mention all their demands during covid which came back to screw many of them
I think you are misinterpreting my comments or perhaps I was not clear. I think the terms "college athletics" and "student athlete" no longer fit what is going on here. I am an old school guy who is not warm to the trends with NIL, the portal and the general degradation of the "student" side of the equation when it comes to college athletics.

Many times during the discussion supporting why students should be paid and have more freedoms, the salaries paid to coaches and their ability to move from one job to the next get brought up as part of the unfairness in the current framework. I believe their needs to be some reforms in the area of coaching salaries, lengths of contracts and staff sizes as part of any broader effort to bring some sanity back to college athletics having their proper place within the university's overall mission. It's not like higher education is hitting it out of the park in their supposed primary mission these days.

While I don't have a definitive solution, allowing A&M to payout a FB coach over $70MM with no negative repercussions other than allowing the entire team to consider transferring (which they can all do anyway 1X) just seems to exacerbate what is already a disturbing trend, which will in my mind, eventually lead to the players being considered employees

• Love
Reactions: RUScrew85
If coach Watson cannot return next season due to health, coach Robinson from ATM would be on my wish list.

And the carousel starts to heat up. Wonder if they consider rehiring Harsin. After his disastrous Auburn stint where the boosters tried to sabotage him, he might think again about ever leaving even if he’s successful.

The yearly habit of hiring "known" coaches with some past success usually leads to mediocrity at best.
I once read an article highlighting how most NCs were won by young, new coaches taking over at strong programs.

The yearly habit of hiring "known" coaches with some past success usually leads to mediocrity at best.
I once read an article highlighting how most NCs were won by young, new coaches taking over at strong programs.
I read an article a few years ago that traced the success of National Championship coaches who took jobs at different programs. If I remember correctly, the article's thesis was that if they didn't win a championship within their first 4 years, it wasn't happening.

Reactions: ashokan

I read an article a few years ago that traced the success of National Championship coaches who took jobs at different programs. If I remember correctly, the article's thesis was that if they didn't win a championship within their first 4 years, it wasn't happening.

Yes I think that was the same article I read.
Every year many teams want Lane Kiffen for some reason lol

Coaches that might be in trouble

Sam Pittman > Arkansas (Southern Gentleman might give us the lowdown here)

Tom Allen > Indiana ( started off good but 9-25 in last 3 seasons doesn’t look very good)

Dave Aranda > Baylor ( not doing so hot this year with 3 blowout loses and 9-14 since 2021)

Dana Holgorsen > Houston ( he’s not bringing the Cougars to the level that was expected when he was hired)

Billy Napie > Florida ( the fanbase isn't to happy with how the Gators are 11-12 since he was hired)

Last edited:
Coaches that might be in trouble

Sam Pittman > Arkansas (Southern Gentleman might give us the lowdown here)

Tom Allen > Indiana ( started off good but 9-25 in last 3 seasons doesn’t look very good)

Dave Aranda > Baylor ( not doing so hot this year with 3 blowout loses and 9-14 since 2021)

Dana Holgorsen > Houston ( he’s not bringing the Cougars to the level that was expected when he was hired)

Billy Napie > Florida ( the fanbase isn't to happy with how the Gators are 11-12 since he was hired)
Babers in South Canada may also be on that list.

Texas A&M Is similar to Penn State in that they need to hire the best x and o guy. The place and their NIL deals guarantee great players. Just fine someone to coach them up.
A & M & PSU are similar in that they’re both full blown cults with unrealistic fan expectations and crazy boosters

At least the Nitts have had semi recent success.

Aggs have sucked forever and will always be Texas’s little brother

Guy is a cuck who routinely shits the bed in big games and wouldn’t have won shit without Jameis Winston and a generational defense

I’ll give him credit for hiring Jimmy Sexton - hes fleeced the best of on a regular basis to his and Jimbo benefit

But anyone who’s followed him knows the deal. Overrated coach, d bag of epic proportions and complete ass clown in every sense of the word

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT