ADVERTISEMENT

2024 football ranking

HeywoodGiant

Senior
Gold Member
May 5, 2019
In the course of this board I have very often been a prophet, and have usually been ridiculed for it. I predicted in the spring of 2006 that RU football would be ranked at the end of September 2006, for the 1rst time since 1976. Your laughter was uproarious. Today I will once more be a prophet: RU football will be ranked in the top 15 by the end of September 2024.

In the course of this board I have very often been a prophet, and have usually been ridiculed for it. I predicted in the spring of 2006 that RU football would be ranked at the end of September 2006, for the 1rst time since 1976. Your laughter was uproarious. Today I will once more be a prophet: RU football will be ranked in the top 15 by the end of September 2024.
My only response is I hope you are right!

And hopefully in the final rankings or at least a top 25 spot

Reactions: Knight Shift
I can't say that I remember you making that statement but I can certainly remember going into that season the excitement on this board for 2006 coming off our first bowl game under Schiano the year before. I highly doubt you were being mocked by many people going into that season.

What you’re saying is you’re predicting wins over Howard, Akron, @VTech and Washington.
I think that would be worthy of some votes but not top 15 unless Washington absolutely clobbers Northwestern and Washington St the previous two weeks.

Reactions: pmvon
What you’re saying is you’re predicting wins over Howard, Akron, @VTech and Washington.
I think that would be worthy of some votes but not top 15 unless Washington absolutely clobbers Northwestern and Washington St the previous two weeks.
The only win of note in 2006 before getting ranked was North Carolina & they had a horrible season

Reactions: JuanGone24
I can't say that I remember you making that statement but I can certainly remember going into that season the excitement on this board for 2006 coming off our first bowl game under Schiano the year before. I highly doubt you were being mocked by many people going into that season.
There are very few things you can say on this board without someone mocking you.

The only win of note in 2006 before getting ranked was North Carolina & they had a horrible season
Well Washington just had TEN players drafted and that WILL be a tough trip time-zone wise for them. And maybe they won’t be able to get acclimated to that September heat and humidity on the eastern seaboard.🤷‍♂️
Be interesting to see how Washington starts 2024 as they do have to replace a lot.

There is a big difference between being ranked and being ranked top 15.

Your prediction is impossible because it would take Rutgers 3-4 weeks after being ranked top 25 to work their way up to top 15.

Reactions: WhiteBus
And they were only ranked 23rd at the end of September. This is a bigger leap. If they aren't in the top 30 to start the year no way they make top 15. Too many to jump.

End of September ??

Reactions: WhiteBus

Did you switch screen names?

LOL

Top 15 is a little high. Top 25 may be a little high also. I'm hoping for a closer to New Years day Bowl

Wasn’t that the Foster locker room chant?

No, that was after beating USF.

UNC game was the first one.

It was notable because it was on the road and we beat Joe Dailey & WR from NJ and they were expected to be a bowl team.

There was a goal line stand and one of the greatest plays you will see at the end of the game with Devraun Thompson - who made a game-saving tackle, flying through the air to meet the running back doing the same.

The following week we blanked Illinois 33-0 at home - they literally never made it past midfield.

The UNC game easily could have been a loss but our guys found a way to win - for me the Illinois game was the real eye-opener that our D & special teams were going to be elite.

There were a lot of vets on that team and they were relentless. The confidence grew every week.

Every fan has a right to dream in May. The reality starts on Saturday, September 21st. At VTech, Washington, at Nebraska, Wisconsin, UCLA , at USC is a monster run, going 3-3 would be an awesome achievement and something for the program to be very proud of no matter where they end up in the rankings.

QB,QB,QB! If RU gets better QB play they will be a top 25 team. If they get much better QB play they will be top 15. If they catch lightning in a bottle, at the QB position, this could be a top 10 team.

Reactions: 50 yd line RR
It is interesting looking at this year's schedule- we are so used to having 3 games that just weren't winnable each year.
This year-we are playing mostly teams that are pretty much level with us. Washington would have been the unwinnable game but they lost so much- hard to know where to put them. USC scores a ton but gives up a ton.
On the other hand- outside of the first 2 games- it is also hard to say any game is a auto win either. A lot is going to depend on QB.

It was notable because it was on the road and we beat Joe Dailey & WR from NJ and they were expected to be a bowl team.

What's ironic is that UNC turned out to be dreadful that year, going 3-9.

No, that was after beating USF.

There was a goal line stand and one of the greatest plays you will see at the end of the game with Devraun Thompson - who made a game-saving tackle, flying through the air to meet the running back doing the same.

The following week we blanked Illinois 33-0 at home - they literally never made it past midfield.

The UNC game easily could have been a loss but our guys found a way to win - for me the Illinois game was the real eye-opener that our D & special teams were going to be elite.

There were a lot of vets on that team and they were relentless. The confidence grew every week.
The Thompson tackle was special, as was the one near the goal line in the loss at Cincy. I recall that Illinois game and them not getting past midfield, which made them getting to the Rose Bowl the next year a marvel.

Reactions: Big East Beast
QB,QB,QB! If RU gets better QB play they will be a top 25 team. If they get much better QB play they will be top 15. If they catch lightning in a bottle, at the QB position, this could be a top 10 team.
So true.

Beating Howard and Akron goes unnoticed by the pollsters

A V Tech win goes as a mild upset, again not much movement in polling

I then think beating Washington We would get notice, a 4-0 record a bit of notice etc
This might put us just outside the top 25

Edit:_maybe, if we absolutely smash
V tech and handle Washington like they were a Howard, you got something

It is interesting looking at this year's schedule- we are so used to having 3 games that just weren't winnable each year.
This year-we are playing mostly teams that are pretty much level with us. Washington would have been the unwinnable game but they lost so much- hard to know where to put them. USC scores a ton but gives up a ton.
On the other hand- outside of the first 2 games- it is also hard to say any game is an auto win either. A lot is going to depend on QB.
Not only playing those teams but the sheer physicality of those games, took its toll on us for weeks after.
I think the west coast teams are not as physical. They have a lot of skill and athleticism though. Even if we lose to one of them at least we shouldn’t be as banged up for weeks after.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT