ADVERTISEMENT

2024 In Season Tourney - $2 mil NIL

for next year’s team wouldn’t this be ideal for Rutgers? More ammo for a transfer plus games that will improve SOS.

If that holds up going forward for Rutgers would be the question. Is your concern Rutgers being competitive in this environment or the fact that the current direction is gearing more towards a minor league for the NBA?

Im not looking at this at all from a rutgers perspective but most here are

Reactions: AZBlues
I understand wanting to keep things as they always were but I honestly don't get why this upsets people so much. Lol what's the problem? Rutgers is even in the mix to be one of the participants and people are threatening to never watch college basketball again? What's up with that @bac2therac is it about players transferring in and out? I'm pretty sure that will get handled soon, maybe include some kind of contractual agreement around time speant at a school with these deals. But things change man, it's the way the world works. I've come to realize once we all die the only people left will believe LeBron James is the best player ever. Jordan will be like an Abdul Janae or pistol Pete type because no one will have seen him play live. Adapt/come to terms or be pissed about changes for the rest of your life. I choose focus on the good because there's a lot of it around Rutgers basketball and life in general..

To me this is actually a step in the right direction. Let TV money/sponsorships pay the players (I'm assuming that's where the money is coming from?), not the fanbases.
how do the players get on the teams in the first place? You think they are all gonna recruit themselves as a team to go compete for cash? Something has to bring them together in the first place ($$$) as guaranteed income.

I understand wanting to keep things as they always were but I honestly don't get why this upsets people so much. Lol what's the problem? Rutgers is even in the mix to be one of the participants and people are threatening to never watch college basketball again? What's up with that @bac2therac is it about players transferring in and out? I'm pretty sure that will get handled soon, maybe include some kind of contractual agreement around time speant at a school with these deals. But things change man, it's the way the world works. I've come to realize once we all die the only people left will believe LeBron James is the best player ever. Jordan will be like an Abdul Janae or pistol Pete type because no one will have seen him play live. Adapt/come to terms or be pissed about changes for the rest of your life. I choose focus on the good because there's a lot of it around Rutgers basketball and life in general..

Thats great for you and others but for me won't be interested if things keep heading this way...and thats fine everyone has their own interests and directions. I will adapt by focusing less on RU hoops and I will find something else to replace my time with

And yes for next year this will be a bountiful opportunity for the program for exposure and scheduling. But i don't have to agree with it because the ramifications of pay for play are pretty huge

Money matters to players more than ncaa tournament

This is ****ed up and i wont be a fan a few years from now

Free education matters more than NCAA tournament.

How many players would have chosen Rutgers over another school if we didn't offer a scholarship and the other school was?

Money matters to players more than ncaa tournament

This is ****ed up and i wont be a fan a few years from now
bac, help me understand here. Is your opposition to this tournament something about the way it’s set up? Or are you just railing about NIL in general?

Listen, I hate the way NIL and free transfers have ruined college basketball just as much as you. And I hate that there are no rules or regulations to the whole thing.

But this “NIL Tournament” structure seems way more palatable than the legalized bags of cash approach that we’re currently facing.

how do the players get on the teams in the first place? You think they are all gonna recruit themselves as a team to go compete for cash? Something has to bring them together in the first place ($$$) as guaranteed income.
Not following your point

Right of course you still need other NIL but this is $1M more than we would have without the tournament or am I missing something?

Not following your point
Don't players still have to be recruited and signed? Individual NIL deals will still be needed as "guaranteed" PfP no?
Next year for Rutgers may be different because the team (assuming) is already invited so you can tell a recruit for next season "hey here's your chance to make a serious payday".

What I am saying is teams in general will need to be formed (recruited) by schools/coaches as the players aren't just going to gather up on their own so NIL will still be required right? This is over the top cash. (IMHO)

So there will be incentives to win this tourney at all costs over other games...and these games could impact positively or negatively ncaa tournament participation

Do you think dollar signs in Vegas vs Stonehill at home will get the same effort
Lol-- there goes the NCAA's and your bracketology-- too bad for the non power 5's.

Right of course you still need other NIL but this is $1M more than we would have without the tournament or am I missing something?
no correct. That is what I am suggesting. "Local" NIL doesn't go away. Fans will still be asked and required to fund it to bring kids to their schools to compete for this extra $.

no correct. That is what I am suggesting. "Local" NIL doesn't go away. Fans will still be asked and required to fund it to bring kids to their schools to compete for this extra $.
Saw your other post and get your point now. I agree not sure his helps with HS recruiting but this certainly helps in player retainage and transfer portal. Those guys would go into next year knowing they are getting that on top of whatever we can offer. Have to factor that with offers from schools not in this tournament

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
So we pick one tourney to give payouts to schools. I wonder how the other 350 schools feel

Are we giving payouts for players for ncaa tourney appearances yet...and why aren't we, if a random tourney in Vegas of all places is paying
The Battle 4 Atlantis pays schools. $2m per. Only difference is this way players are getting some of it.

Oh great now I doubt it happens. What's the last insider info he was right about?

I would link a prior post I made about this exsct topic but I don't want to ruin my chances for a coveted Goldman analyst job......
Sassy Red Wine GIF by Married At First Sight

Reactions: kcg88
I’ll believe it when it’s signed and announced! No offense but a certain poster has said before that we were close to lots of games in the past 2 years that didn’t happen. I’m sure we were close but they didn’t eventually happen.
This would be super amazing if we get this done. Let’s go!!

No downside to having Rutgers compete in the first one of these tournaments. In fact it could help us land better talent in the portal, as some have mentioned.

Beyond 2024/25, I believe some regulation of NIL will eventually come into play, but if it turns out that this type of pay for play event becomes the norm, better to be a participant than not.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
BAC was literally just pissing and moaning in another thread about how the players NIL $ amounts should be public (which was a silly take)….now he can see what the NIL $ payouts are here and he’s still not happy lol.
odd flex...now do everything else

Yeah, there’s a lot of people who’s instinct is to shake their first at anything related to NIL or players making money, when instead we are starting to see some of the initial processes to create sustainable, more regulated ways for players to make money rather than it just being donors with **** you money dominating college basketball
Why are players being paid to be losers though? One team wins the NCAA championship. Rest are write offs. So what’s the point in paying players to lose

Why are players being paid to be losers though? One team wins the NCAA championship. Rest are write offs. So what’s the point in paying players to lose
One team wins the Super Bowl, one team wins the World Series, one team wins the NBA Championship…….don’t understand the point…….the Angels should not pay Mike Trout because he’s a loser who does not win a World Series? There are tons of people in sports being paid to be “losers”……very few get to win championships and the vast majority are “losers”. I don’t understand the point.

Reactions: Scarlet83
hypocritical how since this is just one tournament with 8 schools so do the 358 other ones plus all the nil deals

It’s a step in the direction of what you whined about in the other thread. You aren’t even acknowledging that so yes you’re being very hypocritical whether you will admit it or not.

This is the first tournament of its kind. If it works out I’m sure there will be many other tournaments of it’s kind to follow for a bunch of other schools to participate. This will be what’s called capitalism working itself out.

Look most of us don’t love NIL or what’s happened in the past 1-2 years with college athletics but an organized, structured and transparent tournament like this is a step in the right direction,

If you’re not happy about it you might as well just stop watching college atheltics now because you’re never gonna be happy.

Reactions: Scarlet83
Since being chosen to play in tournaments like this may benefit recruiting and player retention because of the extra money, I wonder what will go on behind the scenes to determine who gets invited..

I also wonder if those here who love the idea would feel the same if Penn State and Michigan or other B1G teams, for example, were included and RU wasn’t. And will the money involved and winning at all costs be bigger issues for players in tournaments like this, to the point of possibly being tempted to make bad decisions? Doesn’t seem like the winning players getting cash like this is the best idea…

Last edited:
Since being chosen to play in tournaments like this may benefit recruiting and player retention because of the extra money, I wonder what will go on behind the scenes to determine who gets invited.. I also wonder if those here who love the idea would feel the same if Penn State and Michigan or other B1G teams, for example, were included and RU wasn’t. And will winning at all costs be a bigger issue for players in tournaments like this?

What does winning at all costs even mean?

And what could be bad about it?

There wont be a ncaa tournament...it will be a cash driven power 6

That is the NCAAs fault not NIL.....this fraud of a NCAA has no teeth, decides to suspend a player for betting under 1K (Jeremiah Williams and a bunch of other student athletes in Iowa, despite a future report indicating the evidence was gathered illegally......then after they stated a half year suspension was the standard, they never followed up and required a player to hire an attorney to file an injunction in order to be cleared to play.

Who is going to replace the games for Williams career or season he should have played in?? What about the extra losses RU took on, because the NCAA is incompetent??

We also had the NCAA force another RU athlete to sit put an entire football season, because they just randomly decided the player couldn't play, despite Schiano efforts to work with the NCAA??

I am 100% ON BOARD, with Power 5/6 athletes getting as much as they can.....and this notion that the NCAA can randomly decide who makes the tournament, with a random selection process of no consistency, is a fraud in itself.

Let the TOP players who want to compete at the highest level, decide how much education they want and where they want their college experience to be. And once we stop the charade of Coach K having Duke alumni pay for houses for Jason Williams and his family getting high paying jobs, is 100% fine with me.

It’s a step in the direction of what you whined about in the other thread. You aren’t even acknowledging that so yes you’re being very hypocritical whether you will admit it or not.

This is the first tournament of its kind. If it works out I’m sure there will be many other tournaments of it’s kind to follow for a bunch of other schools to participate. This will be what’s called capitalism working itself out.

Look most of us don’t love NIL or what’s happened in the past 1-2 years with college athletics but an organized, structured and transparent tournament like this is a step in the right direction,

If you’re not happy about it you might as well just stop watching college atheltics now because you’re never gonna be happy.
of course this is what will be happening. Thats what I have been saying. We have a pay for play situation There will be no ncaa tourney, it will be a tourney made up of 64 power 5 schools. If RU was not being considered or didnt have Ace/Dylan or imagine it was 2019, Rutgers would be crying about the unfairness of this. Look I get it some people will love this. I do not follow much professional organized professional sports besides the nfl. I have not watched a nba game in over 25 years. Its not my thing and it will not be my thing if this keeps up.

and yes I will stop watching at some point, when EXACTLY that happens I do not know but i am less interested by the day. I do know the charade of free education and kids going to school should stop at this poing. Just pay them to play sports to represent the school

of course this is what will be happening. Thats what I have been saying. We have a pay for play situation There will be no ncaa tourney, it will be a tourney made up of 64 power 5 schools. If RU was not being considered or didnt have Ace/Dylan or imagine it was 2019, Rutgers would be crying about the unfairness of this. Look I get it some people will love this. I do not follow much professional organized professional sports besides the nfl. I have not watched a nba game in over 25 years. Its not my thing and it will not be my thing if this keeps up.

and yes I will stop watching at some point, when EXACTLY that happens I do not know but i am less interested by the day. I do know the charade of free education and kids going to school should stop at this poing. Just pay them to play sports to represent the school
Paying them to play is exactly where it is headed. Once the NIL barn door opened, did people think this money insertion into college sports was going to go backwards? It is only going to progress forward, we are a capitalist society and others see opportunity to also benefit by throwing their money into college sports. MGM is hosting the Vegas tourney next year…….they’re not a charitable organization……they see it as an opportunity to make a profit. Sponsors are going to help pay the NIL funding for this tourney…..they view it the same way……a money making opportunity for them. College football players and basketball players will be paid one day, they are now, but it’s being done under the veil of “NIL”. This isn’t going away…….i used to love watching the same guys play for the same schools for 4 years when I was a kid in the early 80s. I was a big St John’s fan as a kid, big Chris Mullin fan, and hated GTown. You watched the same guys for the most part, year after year on those teams. That was a great time for college basketball as the Big East exploded. But things change, now we have one and dones, we even had high school guys going straight to NBA for a period, we have the portal now (estimate is 50% of all college players are entering portal this year) and we have NIL. Change is already here with NIL…….each of us can hate it, love it……we’re all entitled to our own opinion……..I am still a huge college basketball fan today, but I still think it was much better when I watched in the 80s as a kid. The change has already happened as far as basketball and football becoming professional, we’re just seeing it further evolve towards professional at this point.

Crossroads. It seems we have a philosophical difference with a system which we have long hated and continue to hate for new reasons, while simultaneously becoming a new valuable member and beneficiary of the system. Like any new billionaire, do you keep the money and live an extravagant life or do you donate to the needy like you thought you would when you dreamed of billionaires while not being able to rub two nickel’s together?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT