ADVERTISEMENT

2024 In Season Tourney - $2 mil NIL

Yes

Because we likely arent willing

Not a fan of this not one bit
Why not? I agree in later years the blue bloods and those with big NIL will just get richer as they will be invited (hence more NIL). But maybe just maybe we have a good showing and use it as a recruiting tool in the expectation we are going back. Other tourneys like this will be popping up all over.

16 teams seems absurd for an in season tournament. But we absolutely gotta do what we can to get in this. Such a massive potential recruiting chip, and it doesnt have to come out of our donors.
Thought it’s an 8 team tournament, did I misread?

Reactions: Scangg
Who is funding this? Donors - with contingency on their own team participating? That would make sense otherwise Indont get it. Early season tournaments are never well attended.

"The eight-team event—expanding to 16 teams in 2025—will pay out $1M to each team, and another million to the winner."
Rutgers is very close to being in. There is one hang-up. It is what I alluded to as an NIL game this week. This is not engineered through the Athletic Department. Duke is likely. Cuse is probable.

Money matters to players more than ncaa tournament

This is ****ed up and i wont be a fan a few years from now
Agreed…the deconstruction and destruction of college athletics is a remarkable event…like a slow motion train wreck…sure it will remain, but nothing I’ll likely support or even casually follow. Perhaps it’s a function of aging, that you generally careless about sports?🤔💭 eventually if what makes college athletics unique undergoes a coat-hanger style abortion, many schools will find themselves with a lot fewer fans…supported by a very wealthy few who essentially make it their own.

Of course Congress could get involved and then it would be truly FUBAR 🤭

Reactions: TC4THREE
To me this is actually a step in the right direction. Let TV money/sponsorships pay the players (I'm assuming that's where the money is coming from?), not the fanbases.
Yeah, there’s a lot of people who’s instinct is to shake their first at anything related to NIL or players making money, when instead we are starting to see some of the initial processes to create sustainable, more regulated ways for players to make money rather than it just being donors with **** you money dominating college basketball

Reactions: Scarlet83

Serious question, why not stop being a fan now? We have players coming in being payed big money. We're potentially playing in big money tournaments. Why wouldn't you make a statement for this coming year and give up your season tickets. Stop watching the team and doing your write ups.

I get where your coming from, but I guarantee you just can't pull yourself away from it.

Reactions: fatsam98
To me this is actually a step in the right direction. Let TV money/sponsorships pay the players (I'm assuming that's where the money is coming from?), not the fanbases.
michael-scott-the-office.gif

I hear you but let’s wait and see how teams (namely Rutgers if we participate) structure it. Ironically, if done right, this avenue could help address some of the biggest concerns with NIL. Hopefully the end state outcome on these involves some kind of ageeement that a percentage of the revenue goes to the school to maintain its other athletic programs. Ideally - when the dust settles - the best outcome is one where there is an element of prestige in a university maintaining a large volume of programs. Think - high net worth individuals and charitable donations, participation on boards. We want the star players to feel a connection to their school (even when their stay is short lived) - take pride in contributing to its reputation. Rutgers will be part of Ace and Dylan’s legacy forever. Yes - money drives all but that doesn’t mean other things can’t play in too. Let’s see how this goes.

Yes

Because we likely arent willing

Not a fan of this not one bit

But I thought you wanted public disclosure of NIL payouts in the other thread. Well here you go Bac.

Listen - I’m not an overall fan of where everything is headed but if we want to stay relevant and competitive we need to find ways to participate in events like this.

Reactions: Rufaninga and RAC93
This is blockbuster news. I'm going to need time to process this.

If the end result is Rutgers is one of the 8 teams, it's going to make it easier to get players out of the portal to complement our existing star players. So for 2024-25, I will love it. But as far as the sport and team I followed for the last 40 years, that is clearly changing. In the long term, watching games on TV will continue. But how much longer I'll remain a part of it as a season ticket holder? I don't know. I know I'll stick with football as long as I can get a good tailgate spot. As for hoops, we'll see how it goes.

This is blockbuster news. I'm going to need time to process this.

If the end result is Rutgers is one of the 8 teams, it's going to make it easier to get players out of the portal to complement our existing star players. So for 2024-25, I will love it. But as far as the sport and team I followed for the last 40 years, that is clearly changing. In the long term, watching games on TV will continue. But how much longer I'll remain a part of it as a season ticket holder? I don't know. I know I'll stick with football as long as I can get a good tailgate spot. As for hoops, we'll see how it goes.
Yea I’d have to imagine the extra million guaranteed plus a chance to play for another million would be helpful in bringing in a transfer or two this off season.

Serious question, why not stop being a fan now? We have players coming in being payed big money. We're potentially playing in big money tournaments. Why wouldn't you make a statement for this coming year and give up your season tickets. Stop watching the team and doing your write ups.

I get where your coming from, but I guarantee you just can't pull yourself away from it.

Not interested in watching a professional league. Its still salvagable now starting now thats why im still watching

Secondly i dont need to justify anything i feel to you

Reactions: PJVegas
Not interested in watching a professional league. Its still salvagable now starting now thats why im still watching

Secondly i dont need to justify anything i feel to you
Ok, I get where you're coming from.

The changes coming are going to be monumental. If by salvageable you mean back to the way they were or close to it, I think that ship has sailed. I think these athletes are going to become employees of the school so they can put some structure in place. This wild west thing can't work long term. But they will be earning money.

I don't think there's any way to stop it. The B1G and SEC will get out in front of this and lead the way for how things are going to evolve. And at some point kiss the NCAA goodbye.

Reactions: Scarlet83
So there will be incentives to win this tourney at all costs over other games...and these games could impact positively or negatively ncaa tournament participation

Do you think dollar signs in Vegas vs Stonehill at home will get the same effort
for next year’s team wouldn’t this be ideal for Rutgers? More ammo for a transfer plus games that will improve SOS.

If that holds up going forward for Rutgers would be the question. Is your concern Rutgers being competitive in this environment or the fact that the current direction is gearing more towards a minor league for the NBA?

This would obviously be enormous to have locked up before portal season. I have to imagine this, paired with who we already are bringing in, will lead to is being an option for the best of the best transfers

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT