ADVERTISEMENT

24 Portal Thread

Just to add, many of our best players came in with the least amount of fanfare. The staff has been excellent at spotting talent and developing players. It was the one area that last season we just didn't see as much of. I think Stahanzach, Aimone, and a few others got better but we didn't take as big of jump from the number guys we normally do.

As Brecht tells the guys coming back, not just a year older, a year better. I know there is renewed vigor in the program. 8-6 is no longer acceptable, which tells us how far we've come as a program.

D3 Player of the Year Jack Boydan from Tufts to UVA. The rich get richer.

Be interesting to see where he fits on their offense. Can't see him running out of the box, and they have some highly touted young guys in the program with the number 1 recruit on the way who also plays attack. Going to be a crowded spot. Great position to be in.

The interesting thing will be how their new OC uses these pieces. His style hasn't exactly been full throttle like Uva has been in the past.

Was Kirwan the master there, Tiffany, the talent, or all of it. Guess we will find out.

Reactions: biazza38
Be interesting to see where he fits on their offense. Can't see him running out of the box, and they have some highly touted young guys in the program with the number 1 recruit on the way who also plays attack. Going to be a crowded spot. Great position to be in.

The interesting thing will be how their new OC uses these pieces. His style hasn't exactly been full throttle like Uva has been in the past.

Was Kirwan the master there, Tiffany, the talent, or all of it. Guess we will find out.
Having seen Boyden play in person he will fit in nicely there. He does not need the ball in his stick to be successful .

Reactions: RUsojo and mdk01
Cali, at what point is it safe for you to list all of the transfer guys we’ve landed? I know a few names have been bandied about in this thread, but I’m really curious to see a full list of who we got and from where.

Reactions: jreinsdorf
Is that a second fogo or did the first one fall through? Are we up to 11?
No it’s a second fogo. And he’s good. Everyone but OSU got better. But so did we. We will have more pop across the board. Especially where we needed it most. SSDM. Feel good about our fogo situation now.

Cali, at what point is it safe for you to list all of the transfer guys we’ve landed? I know a few names have been bandied about in this thread, but I’m really curious to see a full list of who we got and from where.
I think I’ll just let that some from the school or if I see the player make an announcement. Some kids just do t really care, enroll, and that’s it. I still believe they should make that call.

I get intel from program involved people directly, and on a text with a bunch of alums. All of us want to keep that stuff confidential until it is isn’t.

Sorry I can’t be more forthcoming but if see the kid make it public so will I.

I think I’ll just let that some from the school or if I see the player make an announcement. Some kids just do t really care, enroll, and that’s it. I still believe they should make that call.

I get intel from program involved people directly, and on a text with a bunch of alums. All of us want to keep that stuff confidential until it is isn’t.

Sorry I can’t be more forthcoming but if see the kid make it public so will I.
no need to be sorry ... it's the right approach, the info you do provide is great ... we all just need to be patient for the official news.

Cali or Anyone Else

Any thoughts on the kid from Michigan Bonomi we picked up as a Grad Transfer ?

It seemed like he was much better as a junior than he was as a senior .

Any reason for that ?

He’s good but not a game changer like the guys you got last year. He will help though.

With those Kavanaugh bros you don’t need a lot more though.

Reactions: Wagram97
I wonder how it works for the guys who played at Cabrini ?

Are they now Nova players ?

I wonder how it works for the guys who played at Cabrini ?

Are they now Nova players ?
From what I understand the answer to that is no and they are not even Villanova students but would have to apply as a transfer. From what I am hearing Villanova is going to use the Cabrini campus as their law school. I am hearing that it is possible that the Cabrini kids can stay and will receive a Cabrini diploma, but AJ have not confirmed that part.

Reactions: bigmatt718
From what I understand the answer to that is no and they are not even Villanova students but would have to apply as a transfer. From what I am hearing Villanova is going to use the Cabrini campus as their law school. I am hearing that it is possible that the Cabrini kids can stay and will receive a Cabrini diploma, but AJ have not confirmed that part.
Yeah there's no guarantee that the Cabrini students would be able to transfer into Nova. I know Holy Family and I believe La Salle are offering assistance to help Cabrini students transfer in to finish their degrees there.

Yeah there's no guarantee that the Cabrini students would be able to transfer into Nova. I know Holy Family and I believe La Salle are offering assistance to help Cabrini students transfer in to finish their degrees there.
Yea, Holy Family said they would take Cabrini kids credit for credit, which is great.

Souter is a good pick up too. He was all CAA first team and that’s a league with some really solid fogos.

Looks like we will finish with 12 new transfers and 1 added in the 23 class.

Program is very excited about the pick ups. Almost all were captains of their teams. Great players and culture guys. Hats off to the staff. They worked their asses off. Some alums too. Great job by all, including the players who helped bring these guys in.

Souter is a good pick up too. He was all CAA first team and that’s a league with some really solid fogos.

Program is very excited about the pick ups. Almost all were captains of their teams. Great players and culture guys. Hats off to the staff. They worked their asses off. Some alums too. Great job by all, including the players who helped bring these guys in.
thanks, Cali

based on our pick ups, and our peer group...would you say you expect us to make the tournament this coming year? the purpose of my question is to try and put our progress in context/perspective.

Reactions: Caliknight
It's always a great question and one I always give the same answer to.

I don't know lol.

1) It's very hard to make the tournament. The margins are extremely small. In our last two appearances we made the quarters and FF. Both years it wasn't a guarantee we were going to make the tournament. And that's every team. Outside of an autobid, there are no guarantees.

2) Injuries. We've been really fortunate the last couple of years, then we lose Cameron at the most critical time this past season. I firmly believe we make the tournament if he doesn't get hurt. We win a least one more B1G game, not to mention what we were missing in the Army game that I also believe we win if our All American long pole and our fogo are there. That is D1 sports though.

Those things said, there is certainly reason for optimism. We completely reloaded in the area of the field we needed to-- in the middle. Through the Brecht years, that's where we make hay. Our athleticism was always the equal or in most cases, more than the teams we played. From back in the days of Christian Scarpello all the way through the great Dmids of Kamish and co. We owned the middle of the field. The kids we brought in will get us back to aggressive play there and starting our offense as soon as we get the ball on defense. That's our system. When you don't have those guys in the middle you can't run our system as it was designed. We went from being light there last year to now having proven guys and depth at that most critical spot. We can easily play 3 long poles and 5-6 shorties if we have to. Comfortably.

Goalie spot is solid. Stoller was a highly recruited kid who really could have played last season as freshman. We went with the experience but the staff was really comfortable with Stoller. There was some real thought he was going to play early. It's his time now. The freshman we are bringing in can play too. We are good at that spot.

D has some pieces they've been sitting on in the wings, namely McKelvy who is really long and rangy, which Brecht loves. Poles in the middle are set, and brining in Rizzotti bolsters both the close d and long pole spot.

With the younger guys who got burn last year hopefully better, along with a few first years like Kurdyla who, again, you don't want to put too much pressure on but it would be a surprise if he doesn't get early runs, there is a lot of optimism.

Most of the teams in the league got better. But we did too. It will be another gauntlet like it is every year, but we have a lot more firepower than we did last season.

In college lacrosse there are no guarantees of anything, but I love what we are stepping on to the field with. We brought in great kids who will play with other great kids already in the program. They work extremely hard and are locked in. A hallmark of Brecht teams is we are almost always playing our best lacrosse when it counts the most. April/May. If that is the case, I like our chances.

Understand that is the expectation in the program now. Make the tournament, get to the final four, and compete for championships. That's the language used.

I don't know lol.

1) It's very hard to make the tournament. The margins are extremely small. In our last two appearances we made the quarters and FF. Both years it wasn't a guarantee we were going to make the tournament. And that's every team. Outside of an autobid, there are no guarantees.

2) Injuries. We've been really fortunate the last couple of years, then we lose Cameron at the most critical time this past season. I firmly believe we make the tournament if he doesn't get hurt. We win a least one more B1G game, not to mention what we were missing in the Army game that I also believe we win if our All American long pole and our fogo are there. That is D1 sports though.

Those things said, there is certainly reason for optimism. We completely reloaded in the area of the field we needed to-- in the middle. Through the Brecht years, that's where we make hay. Our athleticism was always the equal or in most cases, more than the teams we played. From back in the days of Christian Scarpello all the way through the great Dmids of Kamish and co. We owned the middle of the field. The kids we brought in will get us back to aggressive play there and starting our offense as soon as we get the ball on defense. That's our system. When you don't have those guys in the middle you can't run our system as it was designed. We went from being light there last year to now having proven guys and depth at that most critical spot. We can easily play 3 long poles and 5-6 shorties if we have to. Comfortably.

Goalie spot is solid. Stoller was a highly recruited kid who really could have played last season as freshman. We went with the experience but the staff was really comfortable with Stoller. There was some real thought he was going to play early. It's his time now. The freshman we are bringing in can play too. We are good at that spot.

D has some pieces they've been sitting on in the wings, namely McKelvy who is really long and rangy, which Brecht loves. Poles in the middle are set, and brining in Rizzotti bolsters both the close d and long pole spot.

With the younger guys who got burn last year hopefully better, along with a few first years like Kurdyla who, again, you don't want to put too much pressure on but it would be a surprise if he doesn't get early runs, there is a lot of optimism.

Most of the teams in the league got better. But we did too. It will be another gauntlet like it is every year, but we have a lot more firepower than we did last season.

In college lacrosse there are no guarantees of anything, but I love what we are stepping on to the field with. We brought in great kids who will play with other great kids already in the program. They work extremely hard and are locked in. A hallmark of Brecht teams is we are almost always playing our best lacrosse when it counts the most. April/May. If that is the case, I like our chances.

Understand that is the expectation in the program now. Make the tournament, get to the final four, and compete for championships. That's the language used.
Really appreciate the detailed response.

Thank you.

We can now make a list of incoming transfers/recruits.

Brams- Utah fogo
Soutar Monmouth fogo
Sidorski -Lehigh A/M (lefty)
Rizzotti - Dartmouth Close/Longpole
Edwards - UMBC SSDM
Fagan - Hamilton - Goalie
Howard - Boston U - SSDM
Germain - Bucknell M
Hund - Towson SSDM
Hubbard W&L D
Krummenacher - A/M Ameherst (Lefty)
Kelly - Canisius A/M

Sommers - 23 recruit A

This is an incredible haul. Hats off again to Brian and the staff. They worked endless hours to get these guys on campus and recruit them into the program. Big shout out to the players the alums who helped. They all had multiple landing spots. We probably missed on 2 kids we really wanted. That's it. This was our A list going into portal season.

Every need was met. Fogo, goalie depth, shorts sticks, added firepower at attack/midfield. The best part is these guys all come with accolades. All conference, All American, etc. The most telling is almost all of them were captains. That tells you they were leaders and understand team dynamics. These men, and that's what they are, aren't OTB just to ride out a degree. They came here to win.

Can't wait till the fall to strap it up and see Brian do what he and staff do best. Mesh a team together. Feel free to ask questions about individual players. I have insight into all of them.

L

I don't know lol.

It is very very hard to make the tourney.

I watched Souter in a scrimmage against Georgian Court. Don't think he lost a FO that day

Wow, the hate on the other lacrosse fan forums towards Rutgers lacrosse is amazing. Though it all seems to largely be from two or three fan bases, JHU and Syracuse plus a few small school fans. Something I missed in terms of Rutgers lacrosse history? Did Coach Brecht do something to them?

Brecht knows you need to win now, not build for some mythical chance at the playoffs in 5 years, and is doing what it takes to build a winning program. College athletics has changed due to the transfer rules and NIL (including the ability of schools to raise more funds from donors). Coach seems to be very forward thinking in that.

Plus taking advantage of some plusses Rutgers has to offer for grad students, like the business school and proximity to NYC. If some student wants to go to school in the middle of no where, then as a grad decides to take advantage of what Rutgers has to offer for someone starting to think about a future after lacrosse, including jobs, then more power to them. Why should Coach Brecht say no to that.

Wow, the hate on the other lacrosse fan forums towards Rutgers lacrosse is amazing. Though it all seems to largely be from two or three fan bases, JHU and Syracuse plus a few small school fans. Something I missed in terms of Rutgers lacrosse history? Did Coach Brecht do something to them?

Brecht knows you need to win now, not build for some mythical chance at the playoffs in 5 years, and is doing what it takes to build a winning program. College athletics has changed due to the transfer rules and NIL (including the ability of schools to raise more funds from donors). Coach seems to be very forward thinking in that.

Plus taking advantage of some plusses Rutgers has to offer for grad students, like the business school and proximity to NYC. If some student wants to go to school in the middle of no where, then as a grad decides to take advantage of what Rutgers has to offer for someone starting to think about a future after lacrosse, including jobs, then more power to them. Why should Coach Brecht say no to that.
Rutgers is new money in the lacrosse world and the old money schools like Hopkins and Cuse have an issue with it. Think Rodney Dangerfield in Caddyshack towards Judge Smails. RU Lax IMO has the best shot to become a perennial power out of all of the Olympic sports outside of maybe men's/women's soccer.

IL reporting Zawada to Duke. I guess he got into Fuqua. With Slusher coming in from Princeton along with O'Neill and Williams coming back DAMN they are loaded offensively for next year.

Reactions: bigmatt718
Lotta jealousy in the lacrosse world towards Rutgers. This has been ongoing for some time. Doesn't surprise me in the least to hear it's out in the world even more.

Wait until our stadium gets built!

IL reporting Zawada to Duke. I guess he got into Fuqua. With Slusher coming in from Princeton along with O'Neill and Williams coming back DAMN they are loaded offensively for next year.
Going to be interesting to see how they share the ball. A lot of those guys are ball dominant.

The B1G is going to be an absolute bear next season. You’d have to rank it as the top conference going into the season.

Going to be interesting to see how they share the ball. A lot of those guys are ball dominant.

The B1G is going to be an absolute bear next season. You’d have to rank it as the top conference going into the season.

Wonder if McAdorey could assume a Ross Scott role

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT