ADVERTISEMENT

24 Portal Thread

We miss d out on some guys like every school but I can tell you in wasn’t for a lack of effort.

We will be better next year. So will most of the league. Going to be another war of a season.

We miss d out on some guys like every school but I can tell you in wasn’t for a lack of effort.

We will be better next year. So will most of the league. Going to be another war of a season.
I don't follow the off-season roster movement of other Big Ten teams outside of what gets posted here. So from my cheap seat, it appears like every conference member is improving at the same time. I could not predict an early order of finish in conference play if I tried right now, such is the razor thin margin of victory/defeat in the Big Ten.

Just got back from a tournament in Dover Delaware this weekend. Not gonna lie, the block R was invisible but the Pedo gear was present from time to time. Surprised I did not see more MD fans tbh.

Next year NIL is going to be a massive driving force. If you aren’t in that game, the you wo t win. Simple as that. Give to the KOR collective and designate it for lacrosse if you want to continue to compete. Without NIL we have no chance.

Reactions: scottsdaleal
Need top quality HS recruits to go along with the x’fers. Would prefer to not be the Kansas State of D1 lax.

We have some coming in but when you have this unique time to grab older kids who have played meaningful lacrosse, you do it.

Every team is grabbing these kids now. Brecht was an early adopter. Big difference having a bunch of guys playing who are 22-23 years old as opposed to 19-20.

I'll say it again though. If you want kids who are high level out of high school, donate to NIL. It's the only way we are going to get them starting now.

surprised no one has mentioned that utah fogo cole brams visited rutgers and looks like he may be headed there

Some things are better left unsaid until a player puts it out there. I've said for awhile we have players committed that haven't been announced yet.

You happy with Syracuse's haul?

Some things are better left unsaid until a player puts it out there. I've said for awhile we have players committed that haven't been announced yet.

You happy with Syracuse's haul?

He should be. Along with the Princeton players they picked up Tufts' FOGO.

They should definitely help. What will be interesting to see with them is if the internal issues get ironed out.

Very intriguing prospect was on campus and I think we are going to get him. I don't want to say much more but the kid is a player. He's not classified as a portal player because he's at one of the prep schools. Not sure he how much he will help directly next year but he will be a player for us. Should have more soon.

Looks like a Ross Scott clone only a little bigger.

Gambling is illegal at The Bel-Air Country Club sir hahahaha!

It's going to be an epic match. Knights vs everyone! Bren looks to be in great form. I myself haven't touched my clubs in 3 weeks and am limping in with an injury but players make plays. LFG.

Reactions: mattkamish
Matt’s boys hit the ball a mile. They can play. Matt’s a player though. You can do some damage with that man. Meanwhile your erstwhile poster here played like dogshit. Good news is we have a rematch Saturday. Scarlet Knights 0 Gang Green 1.

Biiig one Saturday.

Reactions: mattkamish
Very intriguing prospect was on campus and I think we are going to get him. I don't want to say much more but the kid is a player. He's not classified as a portal player because he's at one of the prep schools. Not sure he how much he will help directly next year but he will be a player for us. Should have more soon.

Looks like a Ross Scott clone only a little bigger.
his name is haydn sommer

Laxpower forum seems helpful for that transfer list they started to put out. But everyone else seems like it's 90% JHU fans with a few Patriot League fans thrown in for fun. I first went to that site and got tired of the JHU centric viewpoint on almost everything. Then glad to find this forum.

Reactions: Caliknight
The recent transfer we got looks really good. He’s a SSDM and is playing in the World Games. The gas that makes our engine run is going to be back to full go this season.

Reactions: Wagram97
Yep. He’s going to be good for us. Between him, Hund and Edwards, Brecht is bringing in experienced, athletic guys. Rev up the engines.

Matt’s boys hit the ball a mile. They can play. Matt’s a player though. You can do some damage with that man. Meanwhile your erstwhile poster here played like dogshit. Good news is we have a rematch Saturday. Scarlet Knights 0 Gang Green 1.

Biiig one Saturday.
Sad update to report from the golf course. Gang Green 2 Scarlet Knights 0.

I played horrifically but I’m not sure it would have mattered. Matt can flat out play. One of the more consistent golfers I’ve seen. Just doesn’t miss. As I told him, his boys are show ponies the way they can mash but he’s the player until further notice. It isn’t going to last forever but the old man is still king. Joey hitting a tough par 5 in two both days is something that I doubt I’ll see again from any non pro. Bren bombs and was under pressure due to his partners sad display but what a time. Easy kids to root for in life. Matt and Colleen did a tremendous job with those boys. Smart, fun, respectful, thoughtful, and great athletes.

Look forward to next time Matt. Be well!

Sad update to report from the golf course. Gang Green 2 Scarlet Knights 0.

I played horrifically but I’m not sure it would have mattered. Matt can flat out play. One of the more consistent golfers I’ve seen. Just doesn’t miss. As I told him, his boys are show ponies the way they can mash but he’s the player until further notice. It isn’t going to last forever but the old man is still king. Joey hitting a tough par 5 in two both days is something that I doubt I’ll see again from any non pro. Bren bombs and was under pressure due to his partners sad display but what a time. Easy kids to root for in life. Matt and Colleen did a tremendous job with those boys. Smart, fun, respectful, thoughtful, and great athletes.

Look forward to next time Matt. Be well!
Thx Cali! Great time and a great host. Back in air on way back to Detroit. 44 is in the air back to Newark.

Appreciate the hospitality. Spectacular course. Look forward to the opportunity to do it again. The matches were close…down to the end

The boys can certainly move the ball…lacrosse players can bomb it

Thx again!! Great time and appreciate your passion and support of Rutgers lacrosse.

Looking at all these transfers coming in this year and last has me realizing that potentially only 3 RU upper class & legacy players will see significant time next year. Scott, Knobloch and Aimone. Seems like this is a big year for the staff. Have they really missed on recruitment or player development over the last several years? Gonna take a wait see approach for sure but the blog could get interesting next season.

They still have plenty of recruited pieces. The goalie will be of the two recruited kids. The defense will have some also I would expect to see Teresky and Kurdyla (both) on the midfield, I believe that they have a transfer fogo but it has not be released yet.

Looking at all these transfers coming in this year and last has me realizing that potentially only 3 RU upper class & legacy players will see significant time next year. Scott, Knobloch and Aimone. Seems like this is a big year for the staff. Have they really missed on recruitment or player development over the last several years? Gonna take a wait see approach for sure but the blog could get interesting next season.
We will see more homegrown players than that. But we really have to understand the world today. We graduated 21 guys I believe. The mantra of get old stay old is never more feasible than now. That will be changing but as a coach,’today, if you can bring in guys who have been through the wars, captains, tournament experience, etc, you do it. Of course there is an eye on the future but you have to play for today. We have a great advantage with our grad programs. Location, and style of play help too. It’s a no brainer. You amass talent any and every way possible. That’s a big piece of their job description. The guys we are bringing in are cultural firs which is the biggest concern.

Even so, we have a few defensemen who I believe will break through, along with some freshmen and known sophs who will get some run.

We will see more homegrown players than that. But we really have to understand the world today. We graduated 21 guys I believe. The mantra of get old stay old is never more feasible than now. That will be changing but as a coach,’today, if you can bring in guys who have been through the wars, captains, tournament experience, etc, you do it. Of course there is an eye on the future but you have to play for today. We have a great advantage with our grad programs. Location, and style of play help too. It’s a no brainer. You amass talent any and every way possible. That’s a big piece of their job description. The guys we are bringing in are cultural firs which is the biggest concern.

Even so, we have a few defensemen who I believe will break through, along with some freshmen and known sophs who will get some run.
All good points. Also, the other poster’s comments are changing the narrative a bit. Not really sure of the motives. The real narrative is that RU is a program that is trending up with several NCAA appearances and a final four berth in the last 4 years. This past year was moving in that direction until a key offensive piece (Cameron) got hurt. That plus the graduation of many from the previous year led to a “down” year. The bar is set much higher now. I’d argue that we developed transfers Bartolo, Cameron, Jacoby, etc… as they played their best lacrosse here compared to their previous schools.

All good points. Also, the other poster’s comments are changing the narrative a bit. Not really sure of the motives. The real narrative is that RU is a program that is trending up with several NCAA appearances and a final four berth in the last 4 years. This past year was moving in that direction until a key offensive piece (Cameron) got hurt. That plus the graduation of many from the previous year led to a “down” year. The bar is set much higher now. I’d argue that we developed transfers Bartolo, Cameron, Jacoby, etc… as they played their best lacrosse here compared to their previous schools.
You’re correct. Many on here have great insight and direct contact with internal RU figures so the narrative almost always is on the up and it should be that way. As a fan I like to keep it real, under promise and over deliver. Here’s what I know from a transfer perspective; Both Kirst were recruited by high level D1 programs & Bartolo - Penn. The transfers we are picking up are from lower tier programs that play lesser competition. Were they highly recruited by ACC or B1G schools? We just need to temper enthusiasm on what we get in return. Did last years transfers provide a huge upside?

Rall was a legacy, Jean Felix a legacy, Russo a legacy and the three (Scott, Knoblach, Aimone) I mentioned in my original post are legacy’s. My point is, if you take care of your own and add a couple key additions the results speak for themselves. Picking up 10/12 transfers seems like a dangerous proposition. Better dance with who you took to the party.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

You’re correct. Many on here have great insight and direct contact with internal RU figures so the narrative almost always is on the up and it should be that way. As a fan I like to keep it real, under promise and over deliver. Here’s what I know from a transfer perspective; Both Kirst were recruited by high level D1 programs & Bartolo - Penn. The transfers we are picking up are from lower tier programs that play lesser competition. Were they highly recruited by ACC or B1G schools? We just need to temper enthusiasm on what we get in return. Did last years transfers provide a huge upside?

Rall was a legacy, Jean Felix a legacy, Russo a legacy and the three (Scott, Knoblach, Aimone) I mentioned in my original post are legacy’s. My point is, if you take care of your own and add a couple key additions the results speak for themselves. Picking up 10/12 transfers seems like a dangerous proposition. Better dance with who you took to the party.

When you say legacy you should clarify the they do not have a parent who is an alumnus. And while Jacoby may not have been a finished product when he entered college, he was when he came to Rutgers.

The guys that took us to the party graduated. You get talent any way you can. High school, portal, transfers, all of it. These kids developed. Who recruited them 4-5 years ago out of high school is irrelevant. It’s what you do in college that counts and they have a body of work. And btw, some of them were top 100 player 4 stars not that it matters.

From a simple Star and ranking perspective we have more on the roster than ever. But shin, that’s irrelevant. We’ve had plenty of 3 stars turn into 5 stars by the time they left school.

The staff has a great eye for talent. They know what they are looking at.

I call it like I see it. If you saw my posts with the last staff you would have said I took a negative outlook.

I think we missed out on 3 kids from our A list and didn’t take any B portal kids. The staff knows that they are doing. The question now becomes how fast can guys learn the system and gel. The goal is the same. Playing our best ball into the tournaments in May

The guys that took us to the party graduated. You get talent any way you can. High school, portal, transfers, all of it. These kids developed. Who recruited them 4-5 years ago out of high school is irrelevant. It’s what you do in college that counts and they have a body of work. And btw, some of them were top 100 player 4 stars not that it matters.

From a simple Star and ranking perspective we have more on the roster than ever. But shin, that’s irrelevant. We’ve had plenty of 3 stars turn into 5 stars by the time they left school.

The staff has a great eye for talent. They know what they are looking at.

I call it like I see it. If you saw my posts with the last staff you would have said I took a negative outlook.

I think we missed out on 3 kids from our A list and didn’t take any B portal kids. The staff knows that they are doing. The question now becomes how fast can guys learn the system and gel. The goal is the same. Playing our best ball into the tournaments in May
This program has put out a lot of talent in the last 5-7 years…last 2-3 years the fruits of labor delivered two really good seasons…2022 was excellent.

It’s been a mix of original recruit and portal. That’s how it is at any big program right now with the exception of the IVY and Patriot teams based on rules.

The hard reality is on a 50+ kid roster, 20-25 kids will never play at all. I mean never…and it’s for a lot of reasons, but the main one is they are just not good enough…maybe injuries sidetrack some, but when a kid shows up, his only guarantee is that he will get the opportunity to compete…and within that time on campus each kid probably gets a handful of windows to break through…if the kid misses a window, that might be it. Lots of really good high school players never see the field.

I know a lot of kids on a lot of rosters across the country…I know way more kids that don’t get on the field than do…it’s very hard and each kid, situation, and opportunity window are different…but all kids get the opportunity to compete…

And when teams (like RU) go to the portal, it’s because current roster kids are not filling certain needs/holes. That’s not a shot at any one kid or position…it’s reality at all big programs. Teams have to win…it’s hard to win, and it’s hard to keep winning…

RU had two really good seasons followed by this past year where they went 8-6…the margin of error is razor thin.

Roster management is probably very hard. Keeping players happy is hard…but look around…D1 sports are a business and it evolving…portal, NIL, and conference alignments…lacrosse is impacted by all of this…

While I’m no longer actively connected to RU with a player, I still root for and donate to this program. I want to see continued success at RU.

Success at this level is not easy. Not an excuse…just fact

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT