ADVERTISEMENT

3-Point Shooting Conundrum

AreYouNUTS

Legend
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2001
North Florida has 4 guys shooting better than 35% (if I read correctly) from the three-point line through their first 5 games this season. They have not made less than (11) 3-point field goals in a single game....but we can't find 1 damn shooter!!

SMDH

North Florida has 4 guys shooting better than 35% (if I read correctly) from the three-point line through their first 5 games this season. They have not made less than (11) 3-point field goals in a single game....but we can't find 1 damn shooter!!

SMDH
We also can’t find a qb.

the life of a Rutgers fan.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Geo Caleb Harper Yeboah should all be able to knock down threes at a nice clip.

Mathis Young Paul... all should only take only if wide open in the flow of the offense

Overall this should be our best 3 point shooting team in recent memory

...well, we’re waiting!

lol

Reactions: Scangg

Mathis Young Paul... all should only take only if wide open in the flow of the offense

Scangg, I generally agree but I’m not ready to put Mulcahy in that group yet. He has a pretty good stroke, he’s helped by his length in shooting over defenders, and so far he’s made one-third of his threes (2-6). My only complaint with him is that he has to be more decisive and pull the trigger with a couple MORE attempts per game, and build up his confidence for that shot in the process.

SMDH

the thing is none of these kids on north Florida are athletic enough to guard power 5 players night in and night out.
We can easily get solid 3 point shooters but they won’t be athletic enough to compete in the league. What good does that do?

the key is to find the high level athlete who can also shoot a 3 and much like athletic DTs in football they are few and very far between and heavily coveted.

Reactions: RC71

That's a low bar.

5 players at 33.3% today from 3 and Baker is at 26.4, but my guess is he'll be at 35% once all is said and done this year.

These stats are encouraging, but certainly need to improve. Top-half Big 10 teams typically have one or two shooters who have a 3-point FG% at or above 40%.

the thing is none of these kids on north Florida are athletic enough to guard power 5 players night in and night out.
We can easily get solid 3 point shooters but they won’t be athletic enough to compete in the league. What good does that do?

the key is to find the high level athlete who can also shoot a 3 and much like athletic DTs in football they are few and very far between and heavily coveted.
With the way basketball is played now, those types of players aren't that rare.

OK, I will bite; what are these series of numbers? Some kind of secret Fibonacci sequence?? RU has three figures, but we have played 5 games. Not sure.

Not-for-nothing, BUT:

RU

North Florida:

.750 (outlier)

OK, I will bite; what are these series of numbers? Some kind of secret Fibonacci sequence?? RU has three figures, but we have played 5 games. Not sure.

Really? Sorry lol! The top 3-point shooters on our team, who are shooting .350 or better, versus the top 3-or shooters on North Florida who are shooting .350 or better.

RU
.267 (30 attempts)
.350 (20 attempts)
.357 (14 attempts)
.385 (13 attempts)
.200 (10 attempts)
.333 (6 attempts)
.333 (6 attempts)
.000 (3 attempts)

For a total of 102 attempts through 5 games (20.4/game)... to 172 2P atempts and 123 FTs.

North Florida:

.451 (51 attempts)
.487 (39 attempts)
.412 (34 attempts)
.292 (24 attempts)
.364 (22 attempts)
.417 (12 attempts)
.428 (7 attempts)
.750 (4 attempts)
.000 (4 other players on 12 attempts)

For a whopping 205 attempts in 6 games (34.2/game)... to 193 2P attempts and 78 FTs.

Their entire offense is based around putting up as many threes as possible and mostly avoiding contact in the lane, and it's clear they've recruited to that.

RU
.267 (30 attempts)
.350 (20 attempts)
.357 (14 attempts)
.385 (13 attempts)
.200 (10 attempts)
.333 (6 attempts)
.333 (6 attempts)
.000 (3 attempts)

For a total of 102 attempts through 5 games (20.4/game)... to 172 2P atempts and 123 FTs.

North Florida:

.451 (51 attempts)
.487 (39 attempts)
.412 (34 attempts)
.292 (24 attempts)
.364 (22 attempts)
.417 (12 attempts)
.428 (7 attempts)
.750 (4 attempts)
.000 (4 other players on 12 attempts)

For a whopping 205 attempts in 6 games (34.2/game)... to 193 2P attempts and 78 FTs.

Their entire offense is based around putting up as many threes as possible and mostly avoiding contact in the lane, and it's clear they've recruited to that.
So basically, RU's best 3 point shooter shot a significantly worse percentage than N. Florida's best 3 point shooter on less than half as many shots.

Bryant and Drexel didn't have high level athletes and were able to get open and make 3 point shots against Rutgers.

The exact way Nuts put it versus North Florida may not be correct but he is overall correct we have some guys who are streaky from 3 but we have no one who night in and night out can consistently shoot the three. McConnell is by far our best shooter and I would like him to shoot more 3's; but I understand Nuts I think we were 2-22 against Bryant from 3!! Yet we play these inferior teams and they always have 1-2 guys that can shoot 3's better than us

And if we had taken a commitment from any player currently on North Florida, this board would have lost its mind.
And none of them would be shooting 40 plus percent if they came here. The trainer would be treating them and spectators for the inevitable facial injuries that would result from 3 point attempts being swatted back in their faces or into the stands.

And none of them would be shooting 40 plus percent if they came here. The trainer would be treating them and spectators for the inevitable facial injuries that would result from 3 point attempts being swatted back in their faces or into the stands.

That sounds like an offensive design problem and not a player problem.

Coaching staff is responsible for getting open shots for players.

Reactions: kcg88
That sounds like an offensive design problem and not a player problem.

Coaching staff is responsible for getting open shots for players.

Yeah it's not like Ryan Cline and Grady Eifert were creating their own shots at Purdue last year. But they got open looks because of the actions they ran.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT