ADVERTISEMENT

A modest proposal: Only shoot threes

kcg88

Heisman Winner
Aug 11, 2017
Here's my strategy for Michigan: Spend absolutely zero energy running anything at all offensively except screens to create three point shots. Go balls to the wall on defense and try to hold them under 60.

Let's call it a 67 possession game.

7 possessions end in turnovers. Shit happens.

60 possessions. 60 three point shots. If we make even a shade over a quarter of them (16-60) we'll have 48 points and our offense is already ahead of where it was against Penn State.

But wait! Offensive rebounds! 60 shots, 16 makes, 44 misses. Let's say we get a quarter of those rebounds. Eleven more chances. Spot us one more turnovers, that's still 10 more shots. (Or 20 makes, 40 misses, and 9 extra shots. Whatever.)

Now we're at 69-70 three point shots for a full game. We just have to make 21 or 22 (about 31%) of them to get to 63 or 66 points. Like I said, we're going absolutely apeshit on defense chasing guys around and bodying them up. You're telling me we can't hold Michigan under 63 points?

Easy W.

Sounds great but we only shot a paultry 6% from three yesterday. Even if we take a 100 threes that’s only 6 makes for a grand total of 18 points. Is that what you want?

My last year of coaching rec basketball. The evaluations were the same day my son had a travel baseball game so he missed it along with several other baseball teammates. Week later I got the roster and they made a team of all players who didn't attend tryouts. Needless to say our team was beyond stacked. Games were not fun because we killed everyone. One day i had a bright idea of keeping the game close and having the kids have fun. Only shots we could take were 3 pointers. Had to abort that at half time as we were making 3s.

• Haha
Reactions: fluoxetine
I'm not going to lie. I have had this general thought before. If we can't make shots at the rim or mid range jumpers, why not just chuck 3's all game? More of a chance for OREB on a 3 too

Does Cliff have a better chance of hitting a 3 or scoring with his back to the basket 10 feet out?

#FreeChol

What do we do if JaMike or Austin gets fouled while attempting 1 of these 3s?
I actually did that math as I feared Michigan would foul on purpose every time. I think we come out ahead for everyone but Austin. So unfortunately this game isn't for him

I'm not going to lie. I have had this general thought before. If we can't make shots at the rim or mid range jumpers, why not just chuck 3's all game? More of a chance for OREB on a 3 too

Does Cliff have a better chance of hitting a 3 or scoring with his back to the basket 10 feet out?

#FreeChol
Activate Chol for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT