ADVERTISEMENT

A new NIL Wrestling Fundraiser

wngarbarini

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
May 4, 2006
I just got off the phone with coach Scott Goodale and he is putting together a strategic plan for a major fundraising campaign where we will be able to compete financially for graduate transfers, transfers in the portal, but just as important our current student athletes who are starting to be poached. If we really want to compete with the top schools in the Big Ten, we must get aggressive and on board. This is the time to put our money where our mouth is. Goodale understands we still want to develop our guys and we will continue to recruit the best high school athletes in the country. It is now becoming an arms race and the transfer portal is a real thing. The best names in the portal want to come to Rutgers, but we are up against some heavy hitters from a financial standpoint.

Please email me at wngarbarini@verizon.net or text me at 908-803-6898 if you are interested for details of the plan. You can email Scott direct if you choose. You will learn our goals and objectives which I do not feel is a lot.
Billy G

I still think a year round team store is a good way to generate money and I find it hard to believe there isn’t a closet somewhere on Rutgers gigantic campus to store inventory.

I still think a year round team store is a good way to generate money and I find it hard to believe there isn’t a closet somewhere on Rutgers gigantic campus to store inventory.
that’s a good idea, and storage shouldn’t be an issue. My company decorates and ships branded merchandise on demand. Inventory, fulfill and drop shop. The bigger issue when dealing with universities is licensing. CLC puts a 13% royalty on top of anything you sell if you are using the university logo in any way.
So you have the cost of goods, inventory and shipping, the suppliers margin, the teams profit and a 13% licensing royalty. Now your $10 tee shirt is $40 +
But I would still buy one to support

that’s a good idea, and storage shouldn’t be an issue. My company decorates and ships branded merchandise on demand. Inventory, fulfill and drop shop. The bigger issue when dealing with universities is licensing. CLC puts a 13% royalty on top of anything you sell if you are using the university logo in any way.
So you have the cost of goods, inventory and shipping, the suppliers margin, the teams profit and a 13% licensing royalty. Now your $10 tee shirt is $40 +
But I would still buy one to support
Whatever it is. A lot of people would rather buy a $10 tee for $40 than donate $30 and receive nothing.

I support the Pin Pool and Golf Outing. I can't get myself around supporting NIL and buying a wrestler as hired gun for a year or two. It has been reported on a few sites that Bernie Truax has been offered $250,000 by Iowa. If true Imagine what Griffith could get. Great for the wrestlers. Bad for college wrestling and costly for the fans. If these numbers are close to accurate, the price will only go up next year. I will always be a RU wrestling fan. Just count out for buying a transfer or two every year.

I support the Pin Pool and Golf Outing. I can't get myself around supporting NIL and buying a wrestler as hired gun for a year or two. It has been reported on a few sites that Bernie Truax has been offered $250,000 by Iowa. If true Imagine what Griffith could get. Great for the wrestlers. Bad for college wrestling and costly for the fans. If these numbers are close to accurate, the price will only go up next year. I will always be a RU wrestling fan. Just count out for buying a transfer or two every year.
We need NIL money for recruits. Everyone is getting paid.
Iowa and Michigan offered Shane the same amount.

We need NIL money for our own kids who are being poached by other schools. This Board will blow up if Poz or Soldano leave for another school that offers them NIL!

If one wants to buy wrestlers or if kids leave Rutgers for a quick buck, we are encouraging values that I can't support. Wrestling builds character for life and doesn't promote short cuts to success. Once kids go for the quick buck and short-term reward, they start going down a path that usually doesn't wind up in a good place.

It is not worth buying kids for a couple of extra wins. There are many other ways to develop a great team and get kids to Rutgers without buying them. Rutgers wrestling has been built on grit, hard work, and persistence. The kids that followed this path such as Gravina, Theobold, Ashnault, and Perrotti have achieved long term success, were fun to root, and are loyal to Rutgers for life.

If one wants to buy wrestlers or if kids leave Rutgers for a quick buck, we are encouraging values that I can't support. Wrestling builds character for life and doesn't promote short cuts to success. Once kids go for the quick buck and short-term reward, they start going down a path that usually doesn't wind up in a good place.

It is not worth buying kids for a couple of extra wins. There are many other ways to develop a great team and get kids to Rutgers without buying them. Rutgers wrestling has been built on grit, hard work, and persistence. The kids that followed this path such as Gravina, Theobold, Ashnault, and Perrotti have achieved long term success, were fun to root, and are loyal to Rutgers for life.
No more loyalty with NIL. Kids want to get paid can u blame them? Even if we develop them they can be poached.. that’s what all the big schools will be doing just poaching wrestlers from the smaller programs.. buying titles/team trophies makes them feel more pointless.. hope this doesn’t ruin the sport..

Reactions: mikemessner

All the wrestler you names above existed before NIL. Who’s to say anyone of them wouldn’t have have chosen to earn money for themselves off of their hard work and name, if NIL were around during their careers.

All the wrestler you names above existed before NIL. Who’s to say anyone of them wouldn’t have have chosen to earn money for themselves off of their hard work and name, if NIL were around during their careers.
They arent actually earning the money off of their name or image. 99.9% of people never heard of these guys or know what they look like. They are getting paid to come win at that school. Thats it. The name, image, likeness BS is a scam.

Paid "amateurs". Good bye loyalty and the new norm will be chasing the pot of gold for many. It will ruin the sport for me.

Edit: it will diminish my interest in the sport as I do love wrestling. The Olympics ruined hockey and basketball by allowing pros to compete.

Last edited:
Paid "amateurs". Good bye loyalty and the new norm will be chasing the pot of gold for many. It will ruin the sport for me.

Edit: it will diminish my interest in the sport as I do love wrestling. The Olympics ruined hockey and basketball by allowing pros to compete.
Hate to break it to you but the paid amateur thing has been going on in the bigger sports for way longer than NIL has been around.

It’s definitely annoying and off putting the way it’s being used not as intended but this is how it’s going to be so Rutgers options are to be big players in the NIL game or not and how all the athletic teams perform will likely reflect that decision. Kudos to Goodale for recognizing that and trying to get ahead of the game. Not sure how successful it will be but at least he’s shown a willingness to try.

Hate to break it to you but the paid amateur thing has been going on in the bigger sports for way longer than NIL has been around.
Understood and well known. An abused system does not appeal to me. Either against the rules or within current regulations...which humorously don't "regulate" much at all.

They arent actually earning the money off of their name or image. 99.9% of people never heard of these guys or know what they look like. They are getting paid to come win at that school. Thats it. The name, image, likeness BS is a scam.
If it is a “scam”, at the very least it is a scam that benefits the athlete directly. Contrary to the previous 200 years of the NCAA and the universities and the video game companies and everyone else making boat loads of money, while the athlete couldn’t even sell a signed picture of themselves for $5.

Reactions: mikemessner
To all the old grumpy guys out there, can we just stipulate that you don't like NIL? We all know that you don't like it and why. No one is forcing you to donate anything. So I humbly ask that you please just STFU already.

Reactions: RUBOWLMAN78
Unfortunately folks NIL is the law of the land now whether you like it or not. If we miss out on a Cannon, Griffith,etc it is because we lacked the $ to get them. Until it is regulated, we will fall behind unless we raise $ to compete

To all the old grumpy guys out there, can we just stipulate that you don't like NIL? We all know that you don't like it and why. No one is forcing you to donate anything. So I humbly ask that you please just STFU already.
I'm confused. Does that mean those who are not old or grumpy may continue? Just for the record, this is a forum for people who want express their views, either for or against any topic. No need to direct the F-bomb at anyone.

Unfortunately folks NIL is the law of the land now whether you like it or not. If we miss out on a Cannon, Griffith,etc it is because we lacked the $ to get them. Until it is regulated, we will fall behind unless we raise $ to compete

What are the annual Goals stated in dollar amount to be funded for Rutgers Wrestling NIL? What amounts were attributable to wrestling team from the Knights of Raritan NIL collective? There are now two wrestling campaigns for donation dollars 1) Scarlet Knight Wrestling Club and now 2) NIL for Rutgers wrestling. Which campaign is the preferred choice of Donations per Goodale and Rutgers Wrestling Hierarchy? Is this Rutgers NIL Campaign separate than Knights of Raritan NIL campaign in which you could earmark dollars for wrestling? Is this wrestling NIL campaign preferred over the Knights of Raritan NIL campaign if you donated money to Knights of Raritan NIL and had that money earmarked for Rutgers Wrestling?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I was just looking at the Knights of the Raritan web page. I wanted to see the possible benefit of a wrestling specific NIL. My first surprise was to see this in the FAQs
IS KNIGHTS OF THE RARITAN AFFILIATED WITH RUTGERS UNIVERSITY?
No, the collective is not affiliated with the university in any way. It is a third party created to work with Rutgers student-athletes. The university is prohibited by state law from arranging third-party compensation for student-athletes as it relates to NIL contracts.

It seems that having a wrestling NIL would put the donor in closer contact with the NIL recipient while also reducing the 15% overhead.
These are just my initial thoughts I have no insider knowledge and could be completely wrong.

Last edited:
I just got off the phone with coach Scott Goodale and he is putting together a strategic plan for a major fundraising campaign where we will be able to compete financially for graduate transfers, transfers in the portal, but just as important our current student athletes who are starting to be poached. If we really want to compete with the top schools in the Big Ten, we must get aggressive and on board. This is the time to put our money where our mouth is. Goodale understands we still want to develop our guys and we will continue to recruit the best high school athletes in the country. It is now becoming an arms race and the transfer portal is a real thing. The best names in the portal want to come to Rutgers, but we are up against some heavy hitters from a financial standpoint.

Please email me at wngarbarini@verizon.net or text me at 908-803-6898 if you are interested for details of the plan. You can email Scott direct if you choose. You will learn our goals and objectives which I do not feel is a lot.
Billy G
Do we know which wrestlers have been contacted?

100% guess by me but I's go after Peterson, Shawver, Poz and Soldano. Soldano last because he has great potential but needs to change his style more than the others. Shawver would be my first target, great team player and 100% AA in my book.

100% guess by me but I's go after Peterson, Shawver, Poz and Soldano. Soldano last because he has great potential but needs to change his style more than the others. Shawver would be my first target, great team player and 100% AA in my book.
It’s interesting the wng said “starting to be poached” that to me means that some of our wrestlers are on the way out. Unless I’m reading this incorrectly. I take contacted as someone or some school/entity reached out. Poached means there is mutual interest and they are moving on.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
. The university is prohibited by state law from arranging third-party compensation for student-athletes as it relates to NIL contracts.
NJ once again behind the 8 ball as other states are now allowing this to happen. Villanova just hired a GM to help with NIL in basketball.

I would imagine that the SKWC will provide information regarding the NIL initiative. My impression is that donations to the SKWC and participation in the PinPool are for the benefit of the SKWC and used to retain resident athletes and fund the overall operation of the club and the NIL donations will allow the team to retain and recruit top performing wrestlers without having to deal with a separate organization (Knights of the Raritan). Again, I could be completely wrong but the Scotch I just had has made me very inciteful.

Last edited:
C_husk
Let me answer your questions. SKWC goal is to raise upward of $250,000 for NIL in $5k chunks. Some can’t afford that so smaller donations can be made either to SKWC or to KOR designated for wrestling which will come to us. Our NIL initiative is of immediate urgency so we don’t fall behind competitions for portal transfers. Time is our enemy.
KOR did give us some money which was used for Yara.
The preferred choice of donation per Goodale is NIL campaign.
KOR and SKWC are separate campaigns but you can earmark $ for wrestling. KOR is helping 20+ RU sports while NIL wrestling is dedicated to only us.
I would say Wrestling NIL is preferred because of the sense of urgency involved.
Coach Goodale would love to talk to any and all of you so here is your chance to speak to the horses mouth.

C_husk
Let me answer your questions. SKWC goal is to raise upward of $250,000 for NIL in $5k chunks. Some can’t afford that so smaller donations can be made either to SKWC or to KOR designated for wrestling which will come to us. Our NIL initiative is of immediate urgency so we don’t fall behind competitions for portal transfers. Time is our enemy.
KOR did give us some money which was used for Yara.
The preferred choice of donation per Goodale is NIL campaign.
KOR and SKWC are separate campaigns but you can earmark $ for wrestling. KOR is helping 20+ RU sports while NIL wrestling is dedicated to only us.
I would say Wrestling NIL is preferred because of the sense of urgency involved.
Coach Goodale would love to talk to any and all of you so here is your chance to speak to the horses mouth.
Bill,

1 more question. If we donate to SKWC are they earmarking the funds for wrestling NIL or are you setting up a separate NIL Wrestling entity to donate to the NIL funds to.

What’s the blue print for getting to 250k? Are we relying mostly on donations?

I don’t know how all of this works, but I would imagine a majority of NIL is paid for from super rich alumni with money to burn. I’ve been saying it for a while but if you want the everyday middle class fan to contribute, you have to offer something of substance. Clothing apparel, pins, glassware, car magnets, bumper stickers, dumb stuff like that. Generic stuff that you can get for cheap with an RU wrestling logo slapped on it can be sold for double and triple the price per unit paid in bulk.

Reactions: JudgeSmails56
What’s the blue print for getting to 250k? Are we relying mostly on donations?

I don’t know how all of this works, but I would imagine a majority of NIL is paid for from super rich alumni with money to burn. I’ve been saying it for a while but if you want the everyday middle class fan to contribute, you have to offer something of substance. Clothing apparel, pins, glassware, car magnets, bumper stickers, dumb stuff like that. Generic stuff that you can get for cheap with an RU wrestling logo slapped on it can be sold for double and triple the price per unit paid in bulk.
Makes sense 5k is out of my range.

it looks like you and, I are both to old school to be on board with this nil crap....i thought nil would help the kids earn a few bucks for what ever they needed...............running a camp, give lessons and using their name to generate some income,,,,,,,,,never expected out right free agency......the dam world has gone mad............now get the fxxxk off my lawn, lol

it looks like you and, I are both to old school to be on board with this nil crap....i thought nil would help the kids earn a few bucks for what ever they needed...............running a camp, give lessons and using their name to generate some income,,,,,,,,,never expected out right free agency......the dam world has gone mad............now get the fxxxk off my lawn, lol
Without any real guardrails on NIL to this point, this new paradigm was ripe to be abused right from the onset by many programs/schools.

Apparently the two collectives for Rutgers-NB student athletes are structuring deals that are meant to be in the spirit of what was intended but who knows.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT