ADVERTISEMENT

A win is a win is a win.

True

I almost puked though. Not the way I wanted to start the season.

First game last year we exploded offensively with Eugene hitting 3,s. We know what happened after that. Best thing long term for this team is a close win against a team that had no business being in the game.

First game last year we exploded offensively with Eugene hitting 3,s. We know what happened after that. Best thing long term for this team is a close win against a team that had no business being in the game.

Could not agree more.

A win like this is much more beneficial than a blowout victory

You learned a lot after one game?? C’mon.

Yes. I'm not drawing any firm conclusions. After two games last year we were 60% from three. Obviously that reverted and we ended up below average. But those games also gave us a glimpse at how the team would be better than the previous two years.

You learned a lot after one game?? C’mon.

Yes. I'm not drawing any firm conclusions. After two games last year we were 60% from three. Obviously that reverted and we ended up below average. But those games also gave us a glimpse at how the team would be better than the previous two years.

I could also argue if we didn’t shoot the 3 so well in game 2 last year (we won by 4)..we lose that game.

We win this game tonight without having to rely on the 3. That could also give us a glimpse this years team May be better than last.

It’s silly to say you learned a lot after 1 game. Very silly

I’d wait 3 or 4 games to get an idea on this team

Be happy we won. Be concerned with the play. Looking forward to how we play Sunday because we SUCKED tonight. Lazy, slow on D, selfish, couldn't shoot, couldn't finish, and couldn't focus at the line.

I would expect a MUCH better game Sunday. That's Pike's job. I hope they love the tape. 1 shot from being 0-1 at home to Bryant.

Reactions: ScarletteK80
I could also argue if we didn’t shoot the 3 so well in game 2 last year (we won by 4)..we lose that game.

We win this game tonight without having to rely on the 3. That could also give us a glimpse this years team May be better than last.

We smashed Drexel in game 2 last year

We smashed Drexel in game 2 last year

My bad. It was 2017 I was looking at

Some players need to slow down, get their heads out of their asses, and play smarter. If they don't, it's going to be a long frustrating season.

Reactions: bac2therac
It took this team exactly ONE GAME to completely deflate my excitement for the season.

Yeah, I know it’s just one game, but if we’re capable of playing like dog shit against a sub 300 team, it does not bode well for how we will play against tougher competition.

This team looked like absolute mess on offense. And I don’t just mean because we couldn’t hit shots. The whole offense just looked disjointed and out of synch.

The only bright side is that there’s nowhere to go but UP from this awful performance.

It took this team exactly ONE GAME to completely deflate my excitement for the season.

Yeah, I know it’s just one game, but if we’re capable of playing like dog shit against a sub 300 team, it does not bode well for how we will play against tougher competition.

This team looked like absolute mess on offense. And I don’t just mean because we couldn’t hit shots. The whole offense just looked disjointed and out of synch.

The only bright side is that there’s nowhere to go but UP from this awful performance.
I'm going to go out in a limb and say that Bryant probably isn't a sub 300 team. Those guards are pretty solid.

We were the best 3 FG% shooting team in the country after two games a year ago. Tonight stunk, but not sure one can draw firm conclusions. Not good, though.

I'm going to go out in a limb and say that Bryant probably isn't a sub 300 team. Those guards are pretty solid.
Not saying they will be great by any stretch, but they were picked sixth out of 11 in the NEC preseason poll. Veteran team in key roles. They are likely not in the 300s.

That said, we could be 0-1 but we aren't, and ultimately the objective is to win the games.

It actually is.

Winning is all that matters.
Yes, winning is the main thing that matters but the level of competition also matters.Rutgers was a 20 point favorite against Bryant and quite frankly Rutgers was fortunate they won.The Rutgers offense was woeful and the defense allowed far too many open 3 point shots.Pikiell kept changing personnel but there was no cohesive unit for any sustained time period.Players fans expected to score had poor shooting totals which hopefully will be a reality check to stop reading the press clippings and spend more time in the gym shooting.

Watched a bunch of games the past 3 days. For some reason it’s really noticeable the start to this season how sloppy and ugly the play is, especially the shooting. Even those MSG games on Tuesday were poorly played. Kansas - Duke was a turnover fest on every possession and Michigan State. - Kentucky was a foul fest with Sparty going into long offensive drouts. Some other B1G teams haven’t looked better. Play has been bad.

Reactions: goru7
It actually is.

Winning is all that matters.
Yes, winning is the main thing that matters but the level of competition also matters.Rutgers was a 20 point favorite against Bryant and quite frankly Rutgers was fortunate they won.The Rutgers offense was woeful and the defense allowed far too many open 3 point shots.Pikiell kept changing personnel but there was no cohesive unit for any sustained time period.Players fans expected to score had poor shooting totals which hopefully will be a reality check to stop reading the press clippings and spend more time in the gym shooting.

Winning is the ONLY thing that matters.

RU sports programs haven’t had this mindset in a very long time.

Watched a bunch of games the past 3 days. For some reason it’s really noticeable the start to this season how sloppy and ugly the play is, especially the shooting. Even those MSG games on Tuesday were poorly played. Kansas - Duke was a turnover fest on every possession and Michigan State. - Kentucky was a foul fest with Sparty going into long offensive drouts. Some other B1G teams haven’t looked better. Play has been bad.

This was pointed out on the broadcast too.

Can’t take much from the first game

Reactions: RURM85
I think tooling the lineup every minute hurt flow. I would of started shaq and myles and went big to start. Work some in and out. The flex to the free throw line was creating 0 space.

a win is a win but that was rough

also big ten has a loss against a team like this and Illini went to OT and won by 1 against another bad team. Shit happens just better not happen again. Sunday I think they blow the doors off.

How about we just look at it like this - good teams find a way to win when they play badly. It’s just the first game guys come back in off the ledge. We are not a great shooting team ( I don’t know why) but we are not, IMHO, this bad either. I am reasonably sure we will revert to the mean over the course of the year. And, the defense will get better as well.

Reactions: knight82
I sense Rutgers football angst bleeding over...we are so programmed as a fan base!:Laughing

I think the moved 3 point line is a factor and it’s not that the shot is that much more difficult but there’s no feel for it yet for many shooters. That will adjust quickly but it’s just a slightly different shot. We shot 12% from behind the arc. That’s a stat that you can throw in the garbage. The FT% was again abysmal and that has to change.

We did some experimenting last night and you have to try new things so you know what you can use in conference play. I liked the aggressive defense but you can’t just play great defense and than take a poor shot to give the ball back. That’s what we did all night. Our offense needs to find better shots and our post guys need to finish. Myles and Shaq did not play like they are capable of playing and Yeboah was no Omuyuri last night. I didn’t like the shot selection by Young and he didn’t finish after driving hard to the hoop.

Paul was the most productive player on the court so that was encouraging. We got the win last night so as far as I’m concerned, that’s the only important thing. I think they will watch the film and learn a lot about wasted shots and not finishing when needed. We are clearly 25-35 points better than Bryant.

Id rather win ugly than lose looking good.

but true, winning and looking good woukd have been ideal.

A very easy argument could be made that "losing looking good" is a better predictor of long term success than "winning ugly".

Obviously you can win shooting 14% from 3 - we just did it.
Obviously you could also shoot 40% from 3 and still lose.

But if you asked me what is more likely to lead to wins over a season: shooting 14% or shooting 40%?
I'd take 40% every time.

It's the process - not the result.

Reactions: SJScarlet and kcg88
I sense Rutgers football angst bleeding over...we are so programmed as a fan base!:Laughing

I wouldn't say angst but alot of the same "justifications" come up for crappy wins.

The constant arguments against 3pt shooting and up tempo sounds alot like "Rutgers needs to run the pro-style. True northeast football - not Big 12 football".

Fair enough.

Think today is evident why I think it’s silly to “learn” something about a team after 40 minutes.

It’s going to take at least a few more games to learn what this team is

Agree, crazy how this board is so up and down, chill people and enjoy the ride, this year is going to be fun, at least for the people that allow themselves to have fun. Have lurked on this board since the beginning but never posted,amazing how miserable people can be.

Agree, crazy how this board is so up and down, chill people and enjoy the ride, this year is going to be fun, at least for the people that allow themselves to have fun. Have lurked on this board since the beginning but never posted,amazing how miserable people can be.
Post less.

(just kidding - i went with the typical tMB response - lol)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT