ADVERTISEMENT

ACC lax fanboys on ESPN not happy with the Maryland Duke game

It was sweet watching Maryland bitch-slap Duke. Yeah, Duke deserved to be the second seed-NOT!

Reactions: rondi
Duke and UNC deserved the 2 and 3 seeds. The travesty was Maryland at 3 and not 1.
Sort of Agree. Both of those schools were lucky to get past Rutgers and Loyola. But Maryland was not only screwed in the seeding but had to travel to Indiana to play a lower seed in ND on THEIR turf. The Baltimore mafia is blatantly pathetic.

Reactions: Scarlet83
Duke and UNC deserved the 2 and 3 seeds. The travesty was Maryland at 3 and not 1.

Sort of Agree. Both of those schools were lucky to get past Rutgers and Loyola. But Maryland was not only screwed in the seeding but had to travel to Indiana to play a lower seed in ND on THEIR turf. The Baltimore mafia is blatantly pathetic.

I'm actually glad they seeded UNC 1 , and Duke 2
If they actually seeded UMD 1 like the polls had them at, we would have had to play UMD in the Final 8 game.
Playing UNC to OT and actually having the lead late in the 4Q should have shut up some of these stupid talking heads and opened up the eyes of the committee that they made mistakes with their seedings. I hope MD takes UVA to the woodshed like they did with Duke.

I'm actually glad they seeded UNC 1 , and Duke 2
If they actually seeded UMD 1 like the polls had them at, we would have had to play UMD in the Final 8 game.
Playing UNC to OT and actually having the lead late in the 4Q should have shut up some of these stupid talking heads and opened up the eyes of the committee that they made mistakes with their seedings. I hope MD takes UVA to the woodshed like they did with Duke.

That's assuming RU belonged at #8 or 9. I think a very solid case could have been made for #7.

Wonder where all those fanboys went after calling Duke the super team and practically giving them the championship. Then they get embarrassed by Maryland. If they was any non Acc school you’d never hear the end of it.

The losing record Hopkins team was much better than Lehigh and maybe even Gtown.
Late season Hopkins was better than late season Georgetown...and that's really not debatable....

I saw Georgetown two times live...they lost to a Loyola team that had almost given up losing a starting attacker for the season and resting their other best young player (James) for a Patriot Tourney run...and then I saw them get run off the field by UVA...

Hopkins was better than Lehigh and Georgetown...

Carry on

Wonder where all those fanboys went after calling Duke the super team and practically giving them the championship. Then they get embarrassed by Maryland. If they was any non Acc school you’d never hear the end of it.
ND was supposed to win it all as well...

It's a shame that the committee doesn't realize that they are single handedly hurting the growth of the sport. If they do realize it, and they must, then it makes their agenda truly self serving...which is pathetic.

It's a shame that the committee doesn't realize that they are single handedly hurting the growth of the sport. If they do realize it, and they must, then it makes their agenda truly self serving...which is pathetic.
I really dont think they care about the growth of the sport. They want to maintain status quo and keep it the way it is

Reactions: RUMountie
In watching today's championship game, Maryland was up 4-2 and then got blitzed with 6 unanswered goals before Bernhardt (sp?) scored for Maryland. Why so lopsided? Freakin' FO again. Virginia is dominating and getting more shot opportunities. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I really think lacrosse as fun as it is to watch, needs to change their rules, because the FO rule is one of the DUMBEST parts of the sport. If one team dominates that "specialty" they have a better chance especially with the better teams to win games.

Last edited:
In watching today's championship game, Maryland was up 4-2 and then got blitz with 6 unanswered goals before Burnhardt scored for Maryland. Why so lopsided? Freakin' FO again. Virginia is dominating and getting more shot opportunities. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I really think lacrosse as fun as it is to watch, needs to change their rules, because the FO rule is one of the DUMBEST parts of the sport.
It really does need to die. FOGO shouldn't determine the game that much. Keep everything as is but give possession to the other team like basketball after a basket.

Wow, what do you know. Maryland won the last 3 FO and scored 3 goals. My point made.

It really does need to die. FOGO shouldn't determine the game that much. Keep everything as is but give possession to the other team like basketball after a basket.
Excellent point although that would make too much sense.

Virginia right now is up 5 goals, 16-11. Their coach IMO has done something very interesting on offense. He has his players really spread out on the field so they don't clog up the middle. And when their guys cut they are left with wide open shooting lanes and Maryland has no answer for it.

Regarding faceoffs they made some changes this year which make them less difficult to dominate. It was even worse before. If they are going to keep it, I think they have to go back to what it was like in the 50’s. The men used to stand up like the women. This would create more groundballs.

Reactions: RUonBrain
Regarding faceoffs they made some changes this year which make them less difficult to dominate. It was even worse before. If they are going to keep it, I think they have to go back to what it was like in the 50’s. The men used to stand up like the women. This would create more groundballs.
I hate the way the women FO. It's complete chance where that ball goes. There must be a better compromise. Personally I liked the changes made this year but if they keep changing the rules to get more 50/50 balls maybe a hockey model could suffice by eliminating the clamp and forcing more sweeps. It would still require skill and technique from the guys at the X (unlike the girls game) and put a premium on wing play.

Virginia roster with 3 northern NJ athletes — Chatham, Mountain Lakes, Lebanon — and 1 from Princeton.

Too quick to give up after 1 year of the new rules. Wing play became more important and I'm not sure it was fully game planned. And I smiled when people complained when UVA won 5 in a row then complained when Maryland won 3 in a row right after that. If that's going to be the case what's the problem?

Reactions: Golfer2019
Virginia/Maryland was a great game to watch - rooting for the BIG but hats off to Virginia. Any team could have won. As a novice I am getting hooked and its games like this that help the sport get the attention it needs.

It was a great game for sure. Superb plays being made at every level.

How common are tweaks to the rules in lacrosse? It seems the sport makes modifications on very regular basis. Shot clock, FO rule change are the two that come to mind but it almost sounds like it's constantly evolving.

How common are tweaks to the rules in lacrosse? It seems the sport makes modifications on very regular basis. Shot clock, FO rule change are the two that come to mind but it almost sounds like it's constantly evolving.

Those were some big ones but yes, it's constantly being tweaked. The game right now is the best I have seen it personally.

Unfortunately, these rules needed to be implemented. Up until Princeton started winning by playing slow down stall ball where they held on to it for minutes at a time, the game was great. We didn't need these rules because every coach played the game the way it was supposed to be played. It was the fastest game on two feet.

Then Tierney happened and in came the specialization.

One interesting rule change thought I found interesting was forcing the fogos to play the game. If you faceoff, you have to stay on the field for a minimum of one possession. At least it will force the fogo to actually play lacrosse.

Those are the 2 biggest changes in the last 20 years. Changes of that magnitude are not that common. The only other rule change I can think of in the last 10 was at quarters end from the shot having to be in the net to shot having been taken.

One interesting rule change thought I found interesting was forcing the fogos to play the game. If you faceoff, you have to stay on the field for a minimum of one possession. At least it will force the fogo to actually play lacrosse.

Going to require the LSMs and SSDMs to stay on for an offensive possession?

I am ok with them getting off the field as they as defense are what I would call lacrosse plays, and the shot clock solves the issue of endless subbing, like we saw Bryant do to Syracuse one tournament game. That was egregious.

However, if I was a coach, I would play the exact we play. Encourage the kids to make plays in the flow of the game, including your poles and SSDM's.

I'm all for SSDM's to play offense and be a threat in the offensive zone....😁 Two way middies can be used as a schematic advantage....in spots anyway...

I think the shot clock is a huge plus to the game...I think it forces tempo and takes away the slow down...one tweak might be to bump the shot clock reset from 80 down to 60 on a repossessed ball after a save or post...

So 80 the first time you get that ball, but if you get a reset for whatever reason on the same possession, make it start at 60 seconds...maybe even 50....again this would create more action and tempo....

I'm cool with FOGO's getting off...I think the shot clock has solved a lot of issues IMO....takes away late game stalls, eliminates the refs from having to put a clock on late...and cosmetically the game flows better

I'm all for SSDM's to play offense and be a threat in the offensive zone....😁 Two way middies can be used as a schematic advantage....in spots anyway...

I think the shot clock is a huge plus to the game...I think it forces tempo and takes away the slow down...one tweak might be to bump the shot clock reset from 80 down to 60 on a repossessed ball after a save or post...

So 80 the first time you get that ball, but if you get a reset for whatever reason on the same possession, make it start at 60 seconds...maybe even 50....again this would create more action and tempo....

I'm cool with FOGO's getting off...I think the shot clock has solved a lot of issues IMO....takes away late game stalls, eliminates the refs from having to put a clock on late...and cosmetically the game flows better
I like that rule of a shorter reset clock like they do in college and the pros now!!

Reactions: Caliknight

I'm fine with the 60 second reset.

i would be all for requiring the entire midfield line to stay on for 1 possession. Today there is no consequence to having a pole on the wing to hack the crap out of the fogo. If you lose the faceoff you’ve already got the pole on. If you win you can press it or settle it and sub out the pole. If the whole unit had to stay on it would make for some interesting choices. Teams with two-way athletes at middie would have a big advantage.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT