ADVERTISEMENT

Adios Hayden Rettig

At times like this I would hope that the individuals who consistently argued for years that he was a great quarterback that we were just not using would look back and ask themselves what did they miss that most of us saw? But I know that's not going to happen.

The one that got away. Will leave Lackawanna and go on to do great things, probably:

"while Mike Dare is 14-of-28 for 181 yards with two touchdowns and no interceptions at Lackawanna Community College in Pennsylvania."

Remember last year after one game many were calling Gio a 4 star talent.

When Gio played well, he looked better than Bolin. But when Bolin played well at Louisville, he's better than Gio. Bolin was looked either mediocre or bad here.

You know it's Gio Slyk!

Could be !! But if he eventually does get another chance to prove himself... and it doesn't pan out, it will clearly be the coaching staff's fault for failing to develop him correctly...........

Or the ability to evaluate QB talent with Laviano given the reins for so long?

There was a LOT of "inside baseball" during the Laviano - Rettig controversy, some of it from very reliable sources, saying that Rettig was completely unable to run the offense. He had the physical skills, but just couldn't manage the game.

My point is that none of these guys were really that good, when it came to delivering on the field. It makes me wonder about the current talent level.

Was said for Laviano so had to be said for Rettig to (presumptively) leave your team because you didn't win the starter job is a low class move.

Was a good soldier here but this is disappointing to hear.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
Was said for Laviano so had to be said for Rettig to (presumptively) leave your team because you didn't win the starter job is a low class move.

Was a good soldier here but this is disappointing to hear.

Why is it low class? Football was most likely their entire lives up to this point and now this is it. If they want to leave to go anywhere they can get on the field instead of riding it out on the pine I don't hold it against them. Most of them will go on to get regular jobs. Some bring up a guy like Dodd going to Europe but that's not very common.

It's so weird because his brother was a perfectly capable Power-5 QB at Boston College, started as a freshman, and Hayden was the bigger recruit.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/chase-rettig-1.html
Don't believe the hype? Prove it on the field.
Hayden may have lit it up in HS, but he could have been helped by the players around him.
As to his inability to learn the playbook, manage the game, this is not sleight against Hayden. IIRC, he had great grades. But learning the playbook and managing the game (on your feet) is quite different than classroom smarts.
As said above, he was a great team mate who always appeared to help out, despite not getting what he wanted-the starting role. Best of luck to him.

The one that got away. Will leave Lackawanna and go on to do great things, probably:

"while Mike Dare is 14-of-28 for 181 yards with two touchdowns and no interceptions at Lackawanna Community College in Pennsylvania."

The one who got the least chance to play at RU and the fewest posters pushing him for more playing time. But it is a JC. I guess we'll see.

Reactions: Knight Shift
The one who got the least chance to play at RU and the fewest posters pushing him for more playing time. But it is a JC. I guess we'll see.

I still cannot understand how people continue to make statements that this player or that player didn’t “ get a chance to play at RU”. They are all given a chance to play… that chance is given to every one of these kids behind the scenes in front of the professional football coaches during practice and training camp. Just because we don’t see him on the field in a game does not mean the player didn’t get a chance to play. Those kids earn their time on the field. No poster deserves the opportunity to see how a kid performs during a game…. Just because he looks good in warm-ups or had a good high school career.

I still cannot understand how people continue to make statements that this player or that player didn’t “ get a chance to play at RU”. They are all given a chance to play… that chance is given to every one of these kids behind the scenes in front of the professional football coaches during practice and training camp. Just because we don’t see him on the field in a game does not mean the player didn’t get a chance to play. Those kids earn their time on the field. No poster deserves the opportunity to see how a kid performs during a game…. Just because he looks good in warm-ups or had a good high school career.

[thumb2]

Reactions: Purple-Ed
But, but slyker, don't you know it's always the coaches fault when a player doesn't pan out? :weary:

People always forget that Rettig threw 18 picks in his senior year in high school. He had a strong arm but lacked accuracy and touch. Every pass seemed to be a line drive. I thought he looked horrible in the couple of spring games I saw him in. The fact that some laptop expert gave him four stars never made sense to me.

Tend to agree, but QB is a different animal when it comes to a chance to play. Depending on the coach & program, it's not too often you see the 2nd string QB get meaningful minutes, at least at dear old RU. Easy enough to rotate RB's to get them real PT and then go with the hot hand (heck, even Hicks got carries last week), but for whatever reason, our coaches & OC's don't seem to be able to rotate QB's (except for the obvious Wild Knight QB run), even when shown that the starter is woefully ineffective. I get they made the decision and don't want to mess with their starter's confidence, but you shouldn't be married to the guy.

Not sure if Rettig would've been any better, but I sure as hell would've liked to seen more of Gio & Dare over the last 2 seasons, and not just against the supposed cupcakes. Gio finally got his chance when it was a bit too late to salvage the season & then got hurt. Still boggles my mind that Ash & DM kept going with other QB's (CL/Odin) that were only half suited to the power spread.

This is an indictment on the grad transfer rule. Sadly, it seems like the vast majority of athletes are using it as a tool to get one last shot and if it doesn't pan out just quit. I realize some guys, like Flanagan, do great things with the rule, but it really just seems to be a free agent loophole at this point.

When the starter is so obviously terrible, it is hard to phathom that the rest of the QB's are worse. Why not give a kid a shot in a game and see what happens? Lose 85-0 instead of 78-0? There are players that don't practice well, but win actual games. If the starter is serviceable, I completely agree with your point of view.

Reactions: RU at the shore
When Gio played well, he looked better than Bolin. But when Bolin played well at Louisville, he's better than Gio. Bolin was looked either mediocre or bad here.
This makes sense. Probably a similar skill set. I think people see Gio has the legs to give this offense a better chance. In no way is he a savior.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
This is an indictment on the grad transfer rule. Sadly, it seems like the vast majority of athletes are using it as a tool to get one last shot and if it doesn't pan out just quit. I realize some guys, like Flanagan, do great things with the rule, but it really just seems to be a free agent loophole at this point.

Maybe but who cares. Every kids who does this has already graduated. It's not like they aren't student-athletes. It actually more a recognition that now perhaps they are just students, or no longer athletes, or neither.

Why is it low class? Football was most likely their entire lives up to this point and now this is it. If they want to leave to go anywhere they can get on the field instead of riding it out on the pine I don't hold it against them. Most of them will go on to get regular jobs. Some bring up a guy like Dodd going to Europe but that's not very common.

Why? Because you are giving up on your teammates in the middle of the season because you didn't get what you wanted? The coach gave you a ride he could have used on someone else to bolster their depth. You had the opportunity for a free graduate degree which could only help with that regular job you mention and you throw that out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT