ADVERTISEMENT

Ajani threw the best ball of the day.

Ajani Sheppard threw the ball very well . We have 4 QB’s with AJ still needing more time in the weight room . AK gets it… Gavin is just off a bit on his release. He still releases on the ball an upward trajectory. He should be doing the same thing a hitter does in baseball ( hitting down on the ball) . If he can improve 5% on his release by August he probably keeps the job. We have some real offensive weapon possibilities this season.
Name me a hitter who hits down on the ball these days. Long gone.

yeah, no one hits down on the ball for a long long time and certainly before my time. Make contact, drive through and lift was what we grew up with. Now it's launch angle from the word go.

He was the better passer. Except that’s not what Schiano wants. He wants a running QB, 3rd and short, low turnover risk offense. GW fits that 1950 philosophy best.
You’re a broken record. You mean like Teel?

Schiano says he knows the system because of his Kirk ties from Minn.

He was also used to WRs like this who know who help QBs.
This pass wouldn't have been a TD at RU last year
WRs aren't just hands

I don't think anything you've said in this thread is wrong, but I could easily link a video to Strong's catch against Northwestern as a counterargument.

I don't think anything you've said in this thread is wrong, but I could easily link a video to Strong's catch against Northwestern as a counterargument.

That was a great hand-catch in traffic but the ball was in-bounds and overhead. Very skilled catch but not that uncommon. Leap for catch and landing were pretty much straight up and down vertical axis.

The Minn WR (Daniel Jackson - All B1G 2nd team) had to catch the ball as it was going out-of bounds and on the line. WRs body was also rapidly exiting in-bound area, and he had to drag his toe almost 2 yards while doing a split. That was like some Simone Biles floor exercise stunt. His lead foot was way over the line before the catch was legit

JZZDEG2.gif

Z2Fpt26.gif

Last edited:
You’re a broken record. You mean like Teel?
Your acuity on this, and the board’s, is grade-school level. His philosophy 20 years in a weak league which nearly lost BCS bowl access due to the best teams leaving such that UConn even won it once (but he didn’t) is absolutely not his philosophy in the Big10.

Your acuity on this, and the board’s, is grade-school level. His philosophy 20 years in a weak league which nearly lost BCS bowl access due to the best teams leaving such that UConn even won it once (but he didn’t) is absolutely not his philosophy in the Big10.

If he chooses AK as starter are you gonna STFU or just move on to your next troll topic?

Anyway… back to the topic at hand… Ajani looks poised and even though he’s shorter he’s built, and is ready. If not this year, next for sure.

Reactions: DanHuff
I wasn’t able to watch this, but 8 of 16 in a spring scrimmage doesn’t pop out as encouraging for Gav on the accuracy improvement front. I’m not trying to be a downer, but he wasn’t even up against all first and second team guys on D - correct? That doesn’t seem like a great sign, am I missing something? Who cares if he broke free for some big runs against our second and third teamers.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
I wasn’t able to watch this, but 8 of 16 in a spring scrimmage doesn’t pop out as encouraging for Gav on the accuracy improvement front. I’m not trying to be a downer, but he wasn’t even up against all first and second team guys on D - correct? That doesn’t seem like a great sign, am I missing something? Who cares if he broke free for some big runs against our second and third teamers.
I thought GW looked quicker and he never threw into trouble. AK looked great throwing the ball but that should’ve been pick 6 is a red flag. I think the OL play will determine which QB will start.

ETA we have a great D. TOs will earn you a seat on the bench.

I thought GW looked quicker and he never threw into trouble. AK looked great throwing the ball but that should’ve been pick 6 is a red flag. I think the OL play will determine which QB will start.
I couldnt watch so I’m not necessarily comparing Gavin to anyone other than himself from last season. Turnovers were never really his issue. It’s accuracy. I was hoping to see strides in that area. 8 for 16 doesn’t seem great, albeit a small sample.

Reactions: jtung230
I couldnt watch so I’m not necessarily comparing Gavin to anyone other than himself from last season. Turnovers were never really his issue. It’s accuracy. I was hoping to see strides in that area. 8 for 16 doesn’t seem great, albeit a small sample.

I saw the first three passes and it was all I could take. Johnson gets hit right in the numbers but (as usual with RU) he couldn't make the contested catch. Then you had a couple guys get hit in the hands and cant hold on. Looking like the Bad News Bears.

pO2leZv.gif

ZC3ay1j.gif

quEcCuZ.gif

he had two that should have been INTs and I believe only 2 balls were right on point. Toure saved him on 2 passes making great use of his body

accuracy was like last year

I saw the first three passes and it was all I could take. Johnson gets hit right in the numbers but (as usual with RU) he couldn't make the contested catch. Then you had a couple guys get hit in the hands and cant hold on. Looking like the Bad News Bears.

pO2leZv.gif

ZC3ay1j.gif

quEcCuZ.gif
first throw was last on the DB side that is not on Johnson. agree the other two should have been caught but all things even out as Toure made two really nice snags and the ball to Johnson I think was way high as well

he had two that should have been INTs and I believe only 2 balls were right on point. Toure saved him on 2 passes making great use of his body

accuracy was like last year
Yeah unfortunately that’s what the stats seem to suggest. It’s a spring game so in my mind this was really all I was looking for as a take away.

Reactions: RUTGERS95

pO2leZv.gif

ZC3ay1j.gif

quEcCuZ.gif
Easy there on the receivers. First one above, definitely. GW seems to continue to have a problem throwing to the RB in the flat- that ball was way behind him, and the ball to the TE was out of reach if you watch it in slow motion.

Last edited:
It is a training technique for young hitters… wanna bet? …getting loft is fine as a hitter matures and learns but teaching hitting down is like in golf… shoulder closed … hands … bat speed.

Easy there on the receivers. First one above, definitely. GW seems to continue to have a problem throwing to the RB in the flat- that ball was way behind him, and the ball to the TE was out of reach if you watch it in slow motion.
Don't agree - those were bad plays by receivers. Rome Odunze and Marvin Harrison catch all those. People need to realize good WRs catch iffy passes, bad passes, off-passes etc. Many times the QB isn't trying to make the perfect throw because they are the easiest to INT. You put the ball off target a bit where the WR has the best chance to get it and not the DB. Some of those will get away from the QB - good WRs help. Watch the best teams and look how many times the WRs make receptions happen - they can be like magicians. Its a long season if everyone is expecting perfect spirals in the numbers. The Minn WR caught a sketchy pass. Good WRs do that - they aren't just hands.

HjeUet1.gif

Don't agree - those were bad plays by receivers. Rome Odunze and Marvin Harrison catch all those. People need to realize good WRs catch iffy passes, bad passes, off-passes etc. Many times the QB isn't trying to make the perfect throw because they are the easiest to INT. You put the ball off target a bit where the WR has the best chance to get it and not the DB. Some of those will get away from the QB - good WRs help. Watch the best teams and look how many times the WRs make receptions happen - they can be like magicians. Its a long season if everyone is expecting perfect spirals in the numbers. The Minn WR caught a sketchy pass. Good WRs do that - they aren't just hands.

HjeUet1.gif
Neither one of those players were "WRs". Second one was a RB, and third one was a recently converted TE. So we agree!!! 😜 🤣

Neither one of those players were "WRs". Second one was a RB, and third one was a recently converted TE. So we agree!!! 😜 🤣
Whatever they are they don't look like B1G players (spesh Johnson who plays very meek - saw others plays too)

If a ball hits you in the numbers and hands it needs to be caught in B1G. I watched 15 years of Army plays like this lol.

A78kE8z.gif

MYieNf9.gif

I really think you're gonna see AK named starter. As for the spring game, IMO GW was the 4th best QB out there. Idk why Ajani doesn't get more praise and snaps. Maybe he doesn't go through his progressions well enough, couldn't tell on TV.
Sheppard looks great. Very happy to have him as our developing QB3

It is a training technique for young hitters… wanna bet? …getting loft is fine as a hitter matures and learns but teaching hitting down is like in golf… shoulder closed … hands … bat speed.
Young hitters where? Last guy I saw hit down on the ball was a guy named Bob Keller, a former Dodger minor leaguer, who I played semi pro ball with in the late 1950's.

Reactions: Knight Shift
first throw was last on the DB side that is not on Johnson. agree the other two should have been caught but all things even out as Toure made two really nice snags and the ball to Johnson I think was way high as well
The first one looked to be on his left shoulder. Can't tell if defender got hand in there or not. This was the most catchable of the 3.

Throw in the flat can't be expected to be caught. He is moving upfield and has to turn completely around trying to catch the ball while his momentum is taking him away from the ball. What's the result if he catches it? Being consistent with these throws is a requirement (in my mind) for GW to remain in consideration for the starting spot.

On the 3rd one, one hand got some fingers on it? That's a catchable ball for a TE diving for it?? That's not an easy throw to make though. I wouldn't have GW trying that if I were the OC. It's playing to his weakness.

Saying our 3rd/4th string TE should have caught the ball because the #1 receiver in the country could have made that play shows a lack of awareness.

On the throw to Johnson (5th string?), it's hard to tell if the DB's hand prevented the catch or if Johnson just didn't make the contested catch. With the ball thrown on the wrong side with super tight coverage, the defense should win that battle. I did like the tight coverage(kudos to the DB).

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Shift
Whatever they are they don't look like B1G players (spesh Johnson who plays very meek - saw others plays too)

If a ball hits you in the numbers and hands it needs to be caught in B1G. I watched 15 years of Army plays like this lol.

A78kE8z.gif

MYieNf9.gif
Pretty much everyone agreed that the Johnson ball should have been caught. The slant was thrown completely behind which we saw all last year, and the other would have needed to be a great catch. And you are comparing a running back and tight end to 2 first round WR draft picks????

Young hitters where? Last guy I saw hit down on the ball was a guy named Bob Keller, a former Dodger minor leaguer, who I played semi pro ball with in the late 1950's.
Teaching hitting back in early 80’s to 90’s. Now they teach launch … worthless… that’s why most hitters bat under 245-250. What did I say? It is done in order to instill keeping head on ball and attempting to avoid lifting head out.There are many philosophies on teaching young hitters beginning in the sport. This was not about older . In fact my 8 year old grand daughter plays in Massapequa.NY LL against boys.A former MLB player 2 weeks ago commented to my son. She’s really good… solid … who taught her? Son says,” my father taught me and I started with her the past year. So remember there are multiple ways of teaching hitting. In my day… stickball… wiffle ball … stickball… on and on.

Pretty much everyone agreed that the Johnson ball should have been caught. The slant was thrown completely behind which we saw all last year, and the other would have needed to be a great catch. And you are comparing a running back and tight end to 2 first round WR draft picks????
Looky - I know most people here hate (hate) Wimsatt.
But they dont have to get silly about what they see.
Its the B1G! A ball hits a scholarship in the hands/chest he's supposed to catch it.
Its not baseball with balls and strikes.
Even if one guy did have an excuse there were three crummy goof drops in a row.
Think tOSU had three drops in a row?
A completion % takes two - actually more if you include OL (GW did have some pressure on his throws compared to others).

There was also this in addition to the TD run - the GW specialty (yes - he a spread QB technically).
The guy throws for a TD and runs for two and gallops up the field and people talk about him like he's worst ever. Ajani is actually my main guy just because he played local

uZWMMSQ.gif

LOL. Your analysis is so sophisticated. Lots of data points to work with.

Greg likes pro style, that’s the old school philosophy. Your logic makes no sense. If He wasn’t able to get a top QB with that skill set would have. Unfortunately they go elsewhere. He got a top rated dual QB who he’s been trying to improve.

Your hate of Greg colors your thinking.

Reactions: keeljoe1923
LOL. Your analysis is so sophisticated. Lots of data points to work with.

Greg likes pro style, that’s the old school philosophy. Your logic makes no sense. If He wasn’t able to get a top QB with that skill set would have. Unfortunately they go elsewhere. He got a top rated dual QB who he’s been trying to improve.

Your hate of Greg colors your thinking.
Brilliant. So close but still so far. Why do they go elsewhere ? Because of him. Because of philosophy. Obvious as the day is long. He gets good defensive players. They succeed under him. QBs don’t. That’s why they stay away. Now , get back to your elementary school classroom.

Last edited:
Teaching hitting back in early 80’s to 90’s. Now they teach launch … worthless… that’s why most hitters bat under 245-250. What did I say? It is done in order to instill keeping head on ball and attempting to avoid lifting head out.There are many philosophies on teaching young hitters beginning in the sport. This was not about older . In fact my 8 year old grand daughter plays in Massapequa.NY LL against boys.A former MLB player 2 weeks ago commented to my son. She’s really good… solid … who taught her? Son says,” my father taught me and I started with her the past year. So remember there are multiple ways of teaching hitting. In my day… stickball… wiffle ball … stickball… on and on.
Yeah all this launch angle stuff is a lot of crap. Don't know what or how you were teaching on the lower level. You may have been unique. All I know is that I haven't seen it for many decades including with the kids I had coming into 3 different Legion teams over the years. Certainly haven't seen a pro ballplayer or a college player hit down on a ball in multiple decades.

Even if Gavin threw for 300 + yards - 4 TD’s - ran for 70 yds. With zero Interceptions some on this board would say he’s terrible. Think people need to let the staff decide this one. All said these 4 QB’s are better than what we had for sometime .

Yeah all this launch angle stuff is a lot of crap. Don't know what or how you were teaching on the lower level. You may have been unique. All I know is that I haven't seen it for many decades including with the kids I had coming into 3 different Legion teams over the years. Certainly haven't seen a pro ballplayer or a college player hit down on a ball in multiple decades.
Guess you didn’t watch Ted Williams. He actually had a segment on hitting down on the ball…. Similar to golf.

I learned from some of the best. From late 50’’s through early 90’s….not unique .

Even if Gavin threw for 300 yards - 4 TD’s - 75 yards rushing with zero intercepts some would criticize him.Let the staff decide… it’s what they get paid to do. If we all were that good we would be in the college P5 business.

Also had a great conversation with Lou Pinella in the 80’s … a proponent of Charlie Lau . As an Ex catcher it always fascinated me the many different hitting philosophies out there. Also learned from Fred Hill, Mike Sheppard and another local guy Joe Wladyka all college coaches and quite reputable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT