ADVERTISEMENT

An elite defense, OL getting better, good running backs, and a mediocre Passing QB in year 3. What can we do about the QB position for next year?

RCBeta79

Junior
Jun 7, 2013
An elite defense, OL getting better, good running backs, and a mediocre Passing QB in year 3.
What can we do about the QB position for next year?

I see play calling based upon the confidence in our Quarterback's progress.
Even so, Wimsatt is making the same passing mistakes in staring down the receiver, throwing into traffic in the middle, throwing high/wide, and throwing off balance into double/triple coverage. Multiple catches by Dremell ended in his catching and falling to the ground.

Over 40 years as a season ticketholder.
Am I being unreasonable?

An elite defense, OL getting better, good running backs, and a mediocre Passing QB in year 3.

Even so, Wimsatt is making the same passing mistakes in staring down the receiver, throwing into traffic in the middle, throwing high/wide, and throwing off balance into double/triple coverage. Multiple catches by Dremell ended in his catching and falling to the ground.

Am I being unreasonable?
I think the qb for next year is not currently on the roster. And I don't mean surace.

I think the qb for next year is not currently on the roster. And I don't mean surace.
Agree, Surace is a great recruit, but Freshman need time to learn the system.
We need a proven graduate transfer QB.

... and I think we're gonna need a deeper, taller receiving corps to get that QB to come here.

By most indications, however, Rutgers is beginning to resemble a place those guys might want to go to school.

Am I being unreasonable?
OL and RB was good enough today?

... and I think we're gonna need a deeper, taller receiving corps to get that QB to come here.

By most indications, however, Rutgers is beginning to resemble a place those guys might want to go to school.
Taller receivers? Dremel is 5'8 but everyone else is over 6'. What do they need Cliff Omoruyi out there?

OL and RB was good enough today?
No, there was no excuse today for the many Illegal procedure penalties, but lack of a passing threat does not help the running game against an elite Iowa running defense.

Wimsatt seemed to have plenty of time on his passes in the pocket.
I don't recall him getting sacked.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
There are no positives from the offense today. And it could be very well be another shut out next week!

Not an elite defense , below avg oline , good rb’s, worst passing QB in D1. Horrific coaching

I think we are stuck developing GW for the next year and likely the next 2 years while we develop the younger QBs. We need to bite the bullet and find ways to improve our QB development, which will take time and has been poor even before Schiano left. Remember that the only top QB we had in the last 23 years was likely Tom Savage, which Schiano screw up by changing the offense to a spread offense and getting the kid sack like over 50 times, leading to his transfer. At the end of the day the kid made it to the NFL.. as a successful backup but was good enough to make it unlike the majority of our previous QBs.

We don't have the luxury of having multiple top QBs like other programs.. sadly.

We just need to keep recruiting top RBs to help the QB, and keep improving our OL and WRs.. while playing solid D.

Iowa’s offense is historically bad. And we made them look like the more competent group today. Their QB looked better. That was the difference. You can’t win games going for less than 50% completion rate on a super conservative passing offense. And on top of this you didn’t make the defense gaurd against QB runs. Totally handicapped what little offense we even had.

Reactions: Knight Shift
No, there was no excuse today for the many Illegal procedure penalties, but lack of a passing threat does not help the running game against an elite Iowa running defense.

Wimsatt seemed to have plenty of time on his passes in the pocket.
I don't recall him getting sacked.
Honestly, the 1st half we played well (passing and running) but the penalties killed us. The OL didn’t play that bad but the 3rd and short false starts are just like a TO in this game.

• Sad
Reactions: cRURah
it's not Gavin's fault the OC is a ****ing retard. This board is so tiresome. The same exact shit for every QB since the bowl game against UNC in 2014.

But wait, the next one is the answer!

Schiano still probably has PTSD from benching Savage years ago. Wimsatt makes the offense one dimensional.
He stinks, his ranking in HS was just wrong. His offer list wasn’t good, he can’t read or manipulate a defense. Doesn’t have the ability to go thru the route tree. Strictly a 1st option QB and he stares them down which leads defenders to the play.

• Haha
Reactions: jtung230 and RUShea
Elite d? They got gouged by the worst offense in fbs. They are a solid defense, which is good.
The D is very good and the strength of the team. They gave up three points in the half and 6 after three quarters. They just wore down mentally and physically due to our offensive ineptness.
Defensive will never win games if the offense can’t score. Defense being good means nothing in CFB as long as there is an offense that outscore it

it's not Gavin's fault the OC is a ****ing retard. This board is so tiresome. The same exact shit for every QB since the bowl game against UNC in 2014.

But wait, the next one is the answer!
Not his fault? Lol
His season numbers are historically bad not Rutgers history , I mean all collegiate football history .

Last in completion percentage, 3 from last in yards in the country. Please don’t bring up running either. After today when the day is over he will be 86-92 in rushing.

Just not a startling D1 qb ! Great young man hard worker but should not be starting

Gav sucks, couldn't hit water falling out of a boat. If you don't see he's not a passer then you need to get your eyes checked

Iowa misses a FG and we got an INT at the goal line after went down the field in 90 seconds at the end of the 1st half. The score of 3-0 was deceiving.

Iowa had zero possession of less than 5 plays (except when they scored in 3 plays after the INT). For comparison, we had 7 possessions of 4 plays or less (only 3 possessions above 4 plays).

Last edited:
Reactions: RUTGERS95
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT