ADVERTISEMENT

An older game but great game to watch. RU vs Pitt '06

Echoes of Timmy Brown vs UCONN in this one after Pitt cuts lead to 3.. classic example of announcers with heads up their asses. Rice makes a HUGE play, Rutgers has lead the whole game (I think) and the announcer raves about Revis who made the TD-saving tackle.

Some plays you just remember, and they aren't even scoring plays, and the Rice run is one of them
Against Louisville in 06, it was the swing pass to Brian Leonard late in the game when we were going down field

Some plays you just remember, and they aren't even scoring plays, and the Rice run is one of them
Against Louisville in 06, it was the swing pass to Brian Leonard late in the game when we were going down field

Good game
Rice being Rice until Revis was Revis lol

I liked the uniforms back then - spesh the numbers and simple helmets

AJwK4Y8.jpeg

Yes, fun game to watch.

I ALSO LOVE this video, of the RU-Louisville classic 2006 game - it is not the whole game, but a highlight reel, to a GREAT tune (Extreme Ways (It Fell Apart), often the Mission Impossible end of film credits theme):

Enjoy!

Yes, fun game to watch.

I ALSO LOVE this video, of the RU-Louisville classic 2006 game - it is not the whole game, but a highlight reel, to a GREAT tune (Extreme Ways (It Fell Apart), often the Mission Impossible end of film credits theme):

Enjoy!
yeah.. nice edit. really took the song's character and matched it to the clips.. this was not by chance.. like having a highlight reel and then just picking a song to play over it. If it is it was fortunate because it really seems like clips and clip length was chosen to match the music.

Man our run blocking and schemes were a thing of beauty that year.
A complete ZONE BLOCKING scheme, like what U. Michigan had that year. And Rice was a PERFECT running back to exploit a zone-blocking scheme.

Zone-blocking requires two important elements: a) Athletic OL; and b) Running backs who can cut QUICKLY WITHIN the hole. There was a debate that season who was the better running back between Arkansas' McFadden, Rice and UM's Hart. McFadden was the prototypical tall fast back (sort of like Eric Dickerson - not a perfect comparison, but sorta). Rice and Hart were smaller backs, but both with great vision and cutting abilities. IMO Rice and McFadden were a cut above Hart, but totally different backs. I always felt N\McFadden (like Steve Slaton of WVU, were more "system" backs, thriving in a spread option offense, which was not as common back then, and not as well defended due to unfamiliarity).

As I watched Rice run using that zone-blocking scheme, I felt his ability to cut multiple times within a hole was ridiculously skilled ... and was later confirmed during his NFL Combine workouts: His 3-cone drill time was off the charts, the bets of any running back in the draft that year ... the 3-cone drill tests explosive changes in direction.

One advantage of an effective zone blocking scheme is that it completely defeats a loaded box defense (where a team puts 8-10 men in the box). How? Because a zone blocking scheme executed by the OL properly SEALS OFF half the field, getting 1-2 OL to the LB/Safety level, all within 5 yards of the LOS. BUT in addition to needing athletic line-men who can get off the LOS quickly to get to the 2nd level to create those lanes, you need a running back who has both the vision to CHOOSE the proper open lane (zone-blocking gives the running back choices of which lane to select), and then to cut upfield into that lane quickly, and within the hole as the blocking lane shifts. Rice was a master at that.

I love Monangi, do not get me wrong. But some have compared him to Rice, which is ridiculous - and unfair to both players. The main comparison is they were both smaller height-wise, but physically strong. Rice was significantly quicker (though also without great breakaway speed), and better vision - and could actually run outside. Monangi is a purely inside the tackle runner, with great balance and toughness - and good vision to see the holes. But really, no comparison to Rice, who was a Heisman candidate and one of the bets 2-3 running backs in the country 2 years running.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT