ADVERTISEMENT

Analyzing the last few minutes of regulation and overtime

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
Did not go in depth about individual plays in my recap because i really had a bad taste from the loss yesterday and no shows by several players.

But to me not getting the needed stops in regulation hurt. Had it to 3 with 3 minutes left but we let NW penetrate and we put them at the line and then let midget Greer just go in for a hoop. We had it to 68-67 with 2 left, our game for the taking so why was Ron trying to play hero taking an ill advised 3 quick in the shot clock. We played outstanding D on the last NW possession letting them run it down to 7 seconds without fouling and then Paul was so heady in what should have been one of the highlights of the game on that pass for a bucket to Cliff

Okay so we took it to overtime and had all the momentum and NW reeling so what happened. In some ways I was more disappointed in the overtime than what happened the first 25 minutes. As if the team once again fell back. I didnt think Northwestern did anything particularly well in that overtime. I think Rutgers blinked for a couple of possession and did not keep the eye on the prize. Paul Mulcahy scored 10 of our last 13 points in the final 5 minutes of regulation. Yet in the overtime, after he hit a jumper with 4:40 left, it was Mag, Harper, Baker, Mag 2x over the next 3 minutes before Paul took another shot which he made. Cliff hit a layup on a Paul miss and Paul scored the final points for RU to bring them within 1. Why RU went away from Paul Mulcahy for 5 straight possession is criminal. How can you do that. Yes he cannot do it all but yes he was doing it all. He was in a zone, we have seen this before. Not going to be labor that last shot because you can make the argument either way there but its clear to me that not getting the ball to Mulcahy in overtime cost RU the game.

You can say monday morning quarterback but Paul was doing everything and was responsible almost single handedly for forcing overtime. You go away from that for 3 minutes and you see how NW went on a 7-0 run and game right there. Defensively we allowed a wide open 3 from Audiege in the corner, not sure who was covering him as I havent seen a highlight, then Buie faked Geo out totally for that 3 that put NW up 5. Ron was not going to make that last shot because it wasnt his shot or spot. Some may say good luck but the fact is RU never should have been in that position down 5 in overtime. Its as if they did not learn anything from the first half. That horrific turnover by Geo for no reason but thats how this team has played. Good enough to be in it but cannot get out of their own way.

That was a game we should have won and did not. In a 5 minute situation we did not have the eye of the tiger

how Geo can not be 100000000000% in-the-game-focused at that moment and, instead, pass a gutterball ankle-high behind Ron out-of-bounds.......... i still can't answer.

Northwestern went from prevent defense (on offense) to looking to attack on offense. the zone played right in to our hands when NW was looking to milk the lead, but not in OT.

Agree with Shack

Paul took it to the basket to force OT, Ron did not. He had time to do so. Argue it was a good shot or not all you want, but Ron should have either taken it to the hoop or got it to Paul in the first place. Ron settled for that shot. There was 4+ seconds left, he got all the way down court in less than 6.

Rutgers plays with a small margin for error because there is very liitle consistency game to game in player performance.At crunch time Harper and Baker were no shows while Paul and Cliff were the scorers.In hindsight Mulcahy should have taken the last shot with a dribble drive to the basket .My viewpoint,however,is that the game should be discussed in its totality starting with the horrendous first half and the dramatic comeback in the second half aided by the Northwestern disappearing act.The failure of Harper to be active the first 10 minutes of the game was a game changer along with Baker and McConnell not scoring a point.The ebbs and flows of the game caused fan dispair or elation which has become a norm for many games this season.

Reactions: G- RUnit
NW made two shots total in OT and we missed plenty of open chances including that Geo wide open three (Which I think we got offensive board on a missed). Personally, I’d let Audige shoot anytime he wants from three. He just happened to make this one.

I think the legit gripe is saying we can’t fall in that big of a hole early.

In my opinion Pikiell coached circles around collins from halftime on. Just a matter of execution at the end. Our players were put in the right position to win. Just didn’t seize it.

Reactions: BillyC80 and RC71
Did not go in depth about individual plays in my recap because i really had a bad taste from the loss yesterday and no shows by several players.

But to me not getting the needed stops in regulation hurt. Had it to 3 with 3 minutes left but we let NW penetrate and we put them at the line and then let midget Greer just go in for a hoop. We had it to 68-67 with 2 left, our game for the taking so why was Ron trying to play hero taking an ill advised 3 quick in the shot clock. We played outstanding D on the last NW possession letting them run it down to 7 seconds without fouling and then Paul was so heady in what should have been one of the highlights of the game on that pass for a bucket to Cliff

Okay so we took it to overtime and had all the momentum and NW reeling so what happened. In some ways I was more disappointed in the overtime than what happened the first 25 minutes. As if the team once again fell back. I didnt think Northwestern did anything particularly well in that overtime. I think Rutgers blinked for a couple of possession and did not keep the eye on the prize. Paul Mulcahy scored 10 of our last 13 points in the final 5 minutes of regulation. Yet in the overtime, after he hit a jumper with 4:40 left, it was Mag, Harper, Baker, Mag 2x over the next 3 minutes before Paul took another shot which he made. Cliff hit a layup on a Paul miss and Paul scored the final points for RU to bring them within 1. Why RU went away from Paul Mulcahy for 5 straight possession is criminal. How can you do that. Yes he cannot do it all but yes he was doing it all. He was in a zone, we have seen this before. Not going to be labor that last shot because you can make the argument either way there but its clear to me that not getting the ball to Mulcahy in overtime cost RU the game.

You can say monday morning quarterback but Paul was doing everything and was responsible almost single handedly for forcing overtime. You go away from that for 3 minutes and you see how NW went on a 7-0 run and game right there. Defensively we allowed a wide open 3 from Audiege in the corner, not sure who was covering him as I havent seen a highlight, then Buie faked Geo out totally for that 3 that put NW up 5. Ron was not going to make that last shot because it wasnt his shot or spot. Some may say good luck but the fact is RU never should have been in that position down 5 in overtime. Its as if they did not learn anything from the first half. That horrific turnover by Geo for no reason but thats how this team has played. Good enough to be in it but cannot get out of their own way.

That was a game we should have won and did not. In a 5 minute situation we did not have the eye of the tiger
Yes, they did what I was afraid of. Played intensely with their hair on fire in the 2nd half. Had NW on their heels. Didn't come that way in OT. Just came out playing. This team can't do that. They are not good enough. On Pike or someone on the team, or both, to drive it into these guys before OT began that they had to play like mad dogs & give NW no breathing room or a chance collect themselves.

NW made two shots total in OT and we missed plenty of open chances including that Geo wide open three (Which I think we got offensive board on a missed). Personally, I’d let Audige shoot anytime he wants from three. He just happened to make this one.

I think the legit gripe is saying we can’t fall in that big of a hole early.

In my opinion Pikiell coached circles around collins from halftime on. Just a matter of execution at the end. Our players were put in the right position to win. Just didn’t seize it.
We also had two series where we missed like 3 putbacks I think 1 at the end of the game and 1 in overtime
Yes, they did what I was afraid of. Played intensely with their hair on fire in the 2nd half. Had NW on their heels. Didn't come that way in OT. Just came out playing. This team can't do that. They are not good enough. On Pike or someone on the team, or both, to drive it into these guys before OT began that they had to play like mad dogs & give NW no breathing room or a chance collect themselves.
agree we are not good enough to sleep walk through any part of any game and have to play with high intensity for 40 minutes and that is on the coaches

I cannot get over Baker's pass out of bounds. It's more than just a mistake...more than on unforced error. It was so bad on top of playing poorly all night that it really makes me wonder what is on the level.

We are just so sloppy with the ball in the 1st half of so many games. I didn't see NW do anything to pressure us into TO's.

They mentioned a stat that 19% of our possessions end in a TO. Not what u want from a poor shooting team.

Geo's pass in OT was brutal. It's like he was transformed into a walk-on player in the 2nd half and OT.

That horrific turnover by Geo for no reason but thats how this team has played. Good enough to be in it but cannot get out of their own way.
That was off the defender's foot. I replayed it 3 times... pretty clear case and Geo instantly reacted like it was off the other guy's foot. Hard to believe they did not review such an important call... did I say "hard".. no easy to believe as reviews only happen to possibly HURT Rutgers on a call... still being treated like the noobs... the conference whipping boys.

I don't blame anyone for not catching that as Geo has played loose with the ball late on many occasions... but this loss ain't on Geo.. not alone.. I thought Geo played hard and allowed Paul to take the lead while he was hot. I think Harper was pushing too hard to be "the man" at times.

On HC SP 100%

watching replay of highlights...in regulation, Greer got a screen, poor D by Geo and matador D by Cliff for easy layin. Then in overtime, Audiege wide open 3 because Harper just putrid defense. Geo burned again by a screen which led to the Buie 3.

Completely agree. When someone is absolutely in the zone you get them the ball. When that same person is also your team's best passer you 100% get him the ball. It's not like Paul is a black hole. He would pass if they double him, but was also scoring at will and having the game of his life. Every possession Paul should have touched the ball. Going multiple possessions without featuring him was inexcusable.

Geo and Ron as not only senior leaders but with insane amounts of B1G experience since freshman year need to be better. Back to back HUGE road games that could breathe NCAA life back into the team and both are mediocre to some of the worst play of their careers.

Where is the leadership? Where is the desire? Where is the heart? Where is the sense of urgency? Where is the intensity? Where is the focus?

We also had two series where we missed like 3 putbacks I think 1 at the end of the game and 1 in overtime

agree we are not good enough to sleep walk through any part of any game and have to play with high intensity for 40 minutes and that is on the coaches
+100000

That horrific turnover by Geo for no reason but thats how this team has played. Good enough to be in it but cannot get out of their own way.
That was off the defender's foot. I replayed it 3 times... pretty clear case and Geo instantly reacted like it was off the other guy's foot. Hard to believe they did not review such an important call... did I say "hard".. no easy to believe as reviews only happen to possibly HURT Rutgers on a call... still being treated like the noobs... the conference whipping boys.

I don't blame anyone for not catching that as Geo has played loose with the ball late on many occasions... but this loss ain't on Geo.. not alone.. I thought Geo played hard and allowed Paul to take the lead while he was hot. I think Harper was pushing too hard to be "the man" at times.
GoodOl'Rutgers, what Geo turnover are you talking about? Geo's bad pass turnover in overtime wasn't within 5 feet of any defender, and the only other turnover he was charged with was a bad bounce pass in the first half that was intended for Caleb under the basket but was intercepted by a defender, and that wasn't near a defender's foot either. Sorry if I'm misunderstanding.

Just went back and watched OT. Mulcahy touched the ball on every possession but the last one, and we didn't go away from him at all. Northwestern was doubling him every time he got close to the three point arc.

1st possession - Mulcahy backs down into the lane and scores

2nd possession - Mulcahy starts with the ball, draws a double-team and passes it to Mag, who misses the shot. Offensive rebound to Harper, who has a 1v1 matchup and leaves the shot short on front iron

3rd possession - Mulcahy starts with the ball, and trips dragging his toe, and it's a jump ball to NW.

4th possession - Mulcahy starts with the ball, and again draws a double from Omoruyi's man. Doesn't see the pass to an open Omoruyi in the paint and gives it to Harper. Harper penetrates and draws three defenders, passing it to Mulcahy on the arc. Mulcahy swings it to Baker as a defender runs out to him. Baker misses the shot, and Mag misses 3 tap putbacks at the rim before the ball falls to NW.

5th possession - Mulcahy starts with the ball, again draws a double but shoots over it and makes the jumper.

6th possession - Mulcahy starts with the ball, again draws a double, but then one defender drops off. He goes into the lane, draws another double, and passes to Omoruyi for an assist on the bucket.

7th possession - Mulcahy starts with the ball, dribbles down to the low post, where he draws a second defender off of Baker. Passes the ball out to Baker at the top, who throws it away at Harper's feet. In slow motion, it looks like Baker never really had both hands in control of the ball, and tried to make a quick pass to Harper before he had a grip on it.

8th possession - Mulcahy starts with the ball, dribbles down to the post with single coverage, and makes a layup. I think at this point NW was up 3 points with the shot clock off, were allowing a 2 but not a 3, and playing off so as not to foul and give up a 3 pt play.

9th possession - Harper starts with the ball, dribbles down and lane is well defended. Pulls up for a jumper with 3 seconds still on the clock, and leaves it short off front iron.

Reactions: BillyC80
GoodOl'Rutgers, what Geo turnover are you talking about? Geo's bad pass turnover in overtime wasn't within 5 feet of any defender, and the only other turnover he was charged with was a bad bounce pass in the first half that was intended for Caleb under the basket but was intercepted by a defender, and that wasn't near a defender's foot either. Sorry if I'm misunderstanding.
My bad.. it was earlier in regulation I think... near the end. In another thread I mentioned Harper wasting time calling for a clear-out as time ticked down.. saying the ISO offense was the reason we needed a comeback and not how we actually came back... but again, that was in regulation.

Wait.. I'll find the time on clock for both...

9:50 in the second half.. 46-60 Mulcahy had been bringing up the ball as if it were teh final seconds for awhile.. stealing seconds with rolling balls after FTs or TOs. Then Harper gets the ball at the top of the key.. backs it out... waits to set something up... gets his dribble checked.. passes off to Geo who drives while Harper goes to the corner and he would take an open 3 from there and miss. Overall.. My only complaint was wasting time. We had been speeding up play and needed every second for the comeback from so far down.

Hmm.. at 60-50 Mulcahy reset things at the top of the key after Mag dried a drive in transition. Not quite the same thing but I wasn't complaining about that.

Holy Cow.. I am searching the ESPN -play-by-play for "Geo" or later, "turnover" and for the life of me I cannot find the turnover. While the game was on... at least I hope it was this game.. I'll describe it.. we are going left to right on your radio dial... and on the near-camera side.. about halfway from arc to halfcourt... *someone*.. I thought Geo.. was guarded closely but moving fast around a couple guys he is taking wide steps and long dribbles and the ball bounces off a foot and heads out of bounds and he instantly points it is our ball.. but call immediately went the other way. I replay it and see an opponent's foot in-between "Geo's".. if it was Geo.. and the ball looks like it hits that foot, not Geo's.. which makes a whole lotta sense.

But was it Geo? Was it Mulcahy? He makes correct instant-calls all the time.

Man, I am getting old. I cannot believe how much time I just spent replaying on Tivo..

My bad.. it was earlier in regulation I think... near the end. In another thread I mentioned Harper wasting time calling for a clear-out as time ticked down.. saying the ISO offense was the reason we needed a comeback and not how we actually came back... but again, that was in regulation.

Wait.. I'll find the time on clock for both...

9:50 in the second half.. 46-60 Mulcahy had been bringing up the ball as if it were teh final seconds for awhile.. stealing seconds with rolling balls after FTs or TOs. Then Harper gets the ball at the top of the key.. backs it out... waits to set something up... gets his dribble checked.. passes off to Geo who drives while Harper goes to the corner and he would take an open 3 from there and miss. Overall.. My only complaint was wasting time. We had been speeding up play and needed every second for the comeback from so far down.

Hmm.. at 60-50 Mulcahy reset things at the top of the key after Mag dried a drive in transition. Not quite the same thing but I wasn't complaining about that.

Holy Cow.. I am searching the ESPN -play-by-play for "Geo" or later, "turnover" and for the life of me I cannot find the turnover. While the game was on... at least I hope it was this game.. I'll describe it.. we are going left to right on your radio dial... and on the near-camera side.. about halfway from arc to halfcourt... *someone*.. I thought Geo.. was guarded closely but moving fast around a couple guys he is taking wide steps and long dribbles and the ball bounces off a foot and heads out of bounds and he instantly points it is our ball.. but call immediately went the other way. I replay it and see an opponent's foot in-between "Geo's".. if it was Geo.. and the ball looks like it hits that foot, not Geo's.. which makes a whole lotta sense.

But was it Geo? Was it Mulcahy? He makes correct instant-calls all the time.

Man, I am getting old. I cannot believe how much time I just spent replaying on Tivo..
It was Baker, but I think that was the Nebraska game... But might have been Maryland

Just went back and watched OT. Mulcahy touched the ball on every possession but the last one, and we didn't go away from him at all. Northwestern was doubling him every time he got close to the three point arc.

2nd possession - Mulcahy starts with the ball, draws a double-team and passes it to Mag, who misses the shot. Offensive rebound to Harper, who has a 1v1 matchup and leaves the shot short on front iron

3rd possession - Mulcahy starts with the ball, and trips dragging his toe, and it's a jump ball to NW.

4th possession - Mulcahy starts with the ball, and again draws a double from Omoruyi's man. Doesn't see the pass to an open Omoruyi in the paint and gives it to Harper. Harper penetrates and draws three defenders, passing it to Mulcahy on the arc. Mulcahy swings it to Baker as a defender runs out to him. Baker misses the shot, and Mag misses 3 tap putbacks at the rim before the ball falls to NW.

5th possession - Mulcahy starts with the ball, again draws a double but shoots over it and makes the jumper.

6th possession - Mulcahy starts with the ball, again draws a double, but then one defender drops off. He goes into the lane, draws another double, and passes to Omoruyi for an assist on the bucket.

7th possession - Mulcahy starts with the ball, dribbles down to the low post, where he draws a second defender off of Baker. Passes the ball out to Baker at the top, who throws it away at Harper's feet. In slow motion, it looks like Baker never really had both hands in control of the ball, and tried to make a quick pass to Harper before he had a grip on it.

8th possession - Mulcahy starts with the ball, dribbles down to the post with single coverage, and makes a layup. I think at this point NW was up 3 points with the shot clock off, were allowing a 2 but not a 3, and playing off so as not to foul and give up a 3 pt play.

9th possession - Harper starts with the ball, dribbles down and lane is well defended. Pulls up for a jumper with 3 seconds still on the clock, and leaves it short off front iron.
In real time I had a sense that we lost because of our inability to convert offensive rebounds to points at the end of the game and in OT.

Side note, this is the second time that Mag has missed multiple tap ins. As a while we are not good on tap ins.

In real time I had a sense that we lost because of our inability to convert offensive rebounds to points at the end of the game and in OT.

Side note, this is the second time that Mag has missed multiple tap ins. As a while we are not good on tap ins.
This seems correct
Sometimes I would rather see them attempt to grab the rebound instead and go back up
Tapping it in is often not the answer

watching replay of highlights...in regulation, Greer got a screen, poor D by Geo and matador D by Cliff for easy layin. Then in overtime, Audiege wide open 3 because Harper just putrid defense. Geo burned again by a screen which led to the Buie 3.

There are plenty of highlights out there of those two and their lazy a$$ defense. They wouldn't want to play with me because I wouldn't care how good they were scoring or having a C on the uni. I'd be in their faces for not putting in the effort both ends.

And it wasn't just a Hero 3 attempt...it was from 5 feet behind the line.

Reactions: bac2therac

I don' t understand the players who are looking
toward Pro ball next year. Like those that are out of shape for example. This is why I Appreciate Players like Paul. That give it their all, no questions asked.

Last edited:
Reactions: bac2therac

thanks for this, doesnt seem as bad as I thought, you would expect Harper to be able to make shots, complete failure not to mention then Baker turnover which really was the possession that killed us as I really think we get it to Paul and take the lead. Not sure Mag should have had that 2nd possession shot, even one mistake matters, looks like we had several including one by Mulcahy. All in all it was a poor overtime even as we had a chance to win it with the missed free throws by NW

Reactions: RUChoppin

NW did a good job in OT forcing Mulcahy to give up the ball, and the other guys on the team struggled to execute on offense. Couple that with two unforced turnovers when Mulcahy tripped and Baker threw the ball away.

If Harper could have hit either of his mid-range shots (front iron on both), or Mag could have gotten a tip in on 3 tries, would have been a different narrative coming out of the game.

The biggest stories of the game, though, were us going down 24 points and Baker finishing the game scoreless.

We didn't lose vs. Lafayette because of a last second shot, but by poor play that put us in the position to lose on a last second shot. We didn't lose @Northwestern because of execution in OT, but because of execution during the first 24 minutes that dug a massive hole.

Reactions: goru7
I'd have to go back and watch, but did Northwestern do anything differently to try to deny Mulcahy shots in the OT?
Not sure but did notice a taller Audige on Geo most of the game which took him out of his game because he usually had a height advantage against guards. That left smaller guys to cover Paul and Mag when they were in the game. Paul made them pay.

For the last shot NW had 3 guys under the basket and RHJ had a wide open pull up. The guy has made so many big shots for this team so let’s berate him when he misses lol. Now he wants to be a hero I guess but when he doesn’t shoot enough the same guys are giving him crap for not taken over a game. Make up your minds people. I hate losing too but him shooting at the end of games is a good thing. Better when they go down.

Paul was well behind the 3 pt line top of key on last shot. He had the hot hand for sure but not enough time to do anything in that spot. RHJ shot I’m guessing between 1 and 3 seconds left.

Last 3 possessions was the Turnover, Paul scoring a layup on the smaller player and RHJ shooting. The only bad possession was the turnover. We have no idea if they were going to setup Paul there or not but why wouldn’t they. He carried the half with Cliff and we got him the ball almost every posession.

Reactions: Loyal_2RU
We did not win for one simple reason: After playing a full regulation game + overtime Geo scored 0 points. A single F'n basket and we win. The bit was spit. Case closed.

We did not win for one simple reason: After playing a full regulation game + overtime Geo scored 0 points. A single F'n basket and we win. The bit was spit. Case closed.
Actually it is on Paul, if he scored 33, rebounded 8 not 7, or 8 assist not 7 we would
have won, let's face it he should have given us a triple double. 😏

Actually it is on Paul, if he scored 33, rebounded 8 not 7, or 8 assist not 7 we would
have won, let's face it he should have given us a triple double. 😏
The irony is his 2 missed FT were late which in the game to matter.

In a one point game, there are many woulda coulda shoulda's

This one hurts more than most because we came all the way back to earn 5 more minutes and then let ourselves down

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT