ADVERTISEMENT

Another BS headline by NJ.com

It has NOTHING do with Rutgers.

It's clickbait to make people think there was wrongdoing at RU when there wasn't.
I hate to do this as I'm one of the biggest SL detractors out there, but I dont see this as all that bad of a headline. Yes, clickbait but as @mikemarc1 stated, that's the intent, to get clicks. Putting Rutgers in the headline will get those interested in Rutgers AND those against Rutgers athletics to click on this one...in addition to those who know Fleck or follow B1G football. Just about every day, nj.com has one or two articles about ex Yankees to reel in the NY diehards. Click away friends!!

Reactions: 17Q66
Well, I can tell what ever they are doing has a negative effect on the school and our programs
And you can’t debate that because that is true End of story

I do know they pushed heavily for Greg..so I do agree that was a negative..

But at the end of the day it’s Rutgers that can control the impact.

You’re confusing the star ledger with nj.com. One is a print edition..the other is a digital. Headlines shoujd be different, no doubt

Do report their income/loss on the same consolidated tax return?

I don’t think their reasoning was to create a false impression.

Again, having Rutgers in the headline is more beneficial in NJ then having Minnesota in the headline.

No inaccuracies and a very common digital media tactic to get clicks.
Perception matters and all this does is promote a continued negative view of Rutgers football. In most of the country you would never see a story like this connecting the Football program to a coach who was there for one year over 12yrs. ago.

But NJ.com goes out of its way to omit these facts and makes the headline all about the connection to Rutgers. That's called, having an agenda as it's slanted to put Rutgers Football in a bad light.

Perception matters and all this does is promote a continued negative view of Rutgers football. In most of the country you would never see a story like this connecting the Football program to a coach who was there for one year over 12yrs. ago.

But NJ.com goes out of its way to omit these facts and makes the headline all about the connection to Rutgers. That's called, having an agenda as it's slanted to put Rutgers Football in a bad light.

I’ve explained why they likely have “ex-Rutgers coach” in the headline. See above. They do this for positive stories too

Didn't read article, but the Star Liar and it's online form haven't been on my reading list of trusted sites since the days of Josh & Ted posted their BS about RU and everyone connected to the RU FB program

Amazing that those who defend this long running behavior consider themselves Rutgers fans.

I do know they pushed heavily for Greg..so I do agree that was a negative..

Ah, another Schiano hater.

Amazing that those who defend this long running behavior consider themselves Rutgers fans.

Could be the Star Liar plants people in RU message boards to push their anti RU FB agenda and get ideas for articles they put out.

Well, as I said above, if the SL wants to be a tabloid they can knock themselves out. The question I would ask, do the ad revenues generated by the clicks generate more income than the subscription revenue than they would have generated if the numerous posters here who refuse to subscribe had indeed subscribed because of crap like this headline?
People not subscribing or buying newspapers is not a problem unique to the SL. Most people it seems do not read newspapers or books much anymore. It’s all electronic tidbits of information, sometimes not verified. I think it explains some of the larger problems we have these days.

Reactions: Knight Shift

I’m a huge RU fan and no, I don’t hate Schiano. Would never hate a current coach. Do I think he’s the right guy, no.

You keep saying it’s “not news” ”So it seems to me that to you…the story is BS, not the headline?

I’d agree with that…though I feel like it is news..it’s a bs news story.
Seems like a communication breakdown, lol.

I said nothing about the story, I didn’t read it and don’t plan to. But I assume it is also mainly bullshit, but only because I think in general nowadays, “journalism” is in a tough spot. They need to make money. That is their primary purpose. So, getting any story “correct” or “truthful” or “in context” is way, way down the priority list.

I think judging the information industry by those metrics is wrong and TBH, a bit unfair and unrealistic. I judge (IMO fairly) any of these sites, and almost all media in general, as entertainment. No problem with anyone calling BS on entertainment. It’s just an opinion.

Reactions: mikemarc1
They do it purely for clicks. They don't care about the reputation of RU, good or bad. I had to click it because I had no idea who they were talking about. After clicking I was like 1995? Really NJ.Cons?

I’ve explained why they likely have “ex-Rutgers coach” in the headline. See above. They do this for positive stories too

It may be a move to generate clicks but is it a smart move longer term? If you are a site owner you don't just want one time quick clicks. You want to capture things like return clicks as well as click throughs into content and ads. Smart people catch on to the constant click bait game and spread the word to avoid a site being a rag or gimmicky.

It may be a move to generate clicks but is it a smart move longer term? If you are a site owner you don't just want one time quick clicks. You want to capture things like return clicks as well as click throughs into content and ads. Smart people catch on to the constant click bait game and spread the word to avoid a site being a rag or gimmicky.

They’re the #1 news site in nj. Yes, it’s been smart.

Reactions: Plum Street
Welcome to the Hotel Star Ledger. You can check out any time you like but you can never cease being the fodder for a negative headline. Even 12 years after you move on.
We stab it with our steely knives, but just can't kill the beast.

Reactions: mdk01
I don’t think their reasoning was to create a false impression.

Again, having Rutgers in the headline is more beneficial in NJ then having Minnesota in the headline.

No inaccuracies and a very common digital media tactic to get clicks.

How is this for a headline?

"Ex New Brunswick resident arrested in Gilgo Beach killings"

I'm sure any scholar of journalism would say that's moronic. It's not false, but it creates a false impression and takes the heat off of where it belongs.

Reactions: Knight177lb
I hate to do this as I'm one of the biggest SL detractors out there, but I dont see this as all that bad of a headline. Yes, clickbait but as @mikemarc1 stated, that's the intent, to get clicks. Putting Rutgers in the headline will get those interested in Rutgers AND those against Rutgers athletics to click on this one...in addition to those who know Fleck or follow B1G football. Just about every day, nj.com has one or two articles about ex Yankees to reel in the NY diehards. Click away friends!!

The intent at SL is always to cause polemic. And at least in terms of RU, in the past few years, that has been a losing battle. Most of the anti-RU pols have left the scene. RU is on a positive financial trajectory. Most sports are improving.

This is just a last ditch effort. Frankly I'm surprised it wasn't "Northwestern, who shares conference with RU, in scandal"...I'm sure they debated it.

• Haha
Reactions: Knight177lb
How is this for a headline?

"Ex New Brunswick resident arrested in Gilgo Beach killings"

I'm sure any scholar of journalism would say that's moronic. It's not false, but it creates a false impression and takes the heat off of where it belongs

Not very SEO friendly. Are people searching “New Brunswick” enough? Highly doubt it

Not very SEO friendly. Are people searching “New Brunswick” enough? Highly doubt it

Well that's a solid admission. The idea is to get the article to pop up on Google so that a parent skimming might see and think RU is scandalous as their kid decides on a college, for example.

Disgusting, but unsurprising.

Their job isnt to deliver the news, you have to find news on your own these days and make your own judgement. Their job is to get people to click/read i.e. make money

News has become opinion-vomit machines only. The amount of actual news-collecting out there is tiny, so many just take reported events and slap their opinion/spin over it. That S-L/Nj.com's ideas for stories come from a filter of the word "Rutgers" over the newswire where they then apply a "could this be negative for Rutgers football or basketball" test to decide to publish... not surprising.

But, OMG.. hasn't Rutgers recently recruited coaches to come here from that abusive and troubled staff?

I just cannot wait for more reviews of 1935-1940 events surrounding Rutgers' pro-Nazi professors. I wonder if any of those German language professors were football fans or advisors... maybe it was all limited to the women's college...

Well that's a solid admission. The idea is to get the article to pop up on Google so that a parent skimming might see and think RU is scandalous as their kid decides on a college, for example.

Disgusting, but unsurprising.

I just disagree

Our fans' collective lack of confidence in alma mater is revealed with each one of these complaints.

Honestly, who cares?

Fickle New Jersey will show up for 9-0 Rutgers in a Big Ten November; malcontent New Jersey will always whine about large institutions they can neither comprehend nor influence.

Rutgers is always going to be the SUNJ, and will always play Big Ten football from now on. Let's not be so easily irked by NJAM headline editors.

They’re the #1 news site in nj. Yes, it’s been smart.
according to a quick google ( without me checking for accuracy)
Top 30 newspapers in New Jersey
RankOutletLocation
1The Jersey JournalSecaucus, NJ
2The Times of TrentonTrenton, NJ
3The Star-LedgerNewark, NJ
4Suburban NewsNew Providence, NJ
I didn't go to each site to see what they said about themselves like Advanced Media (Star Liar) claimed about themself.
Also didn't click the link to claim you posted.
So won't claim it's a lie, just say I don't trust them and haven't for years.

Still remember years ago a Star Liar " journalist" wrote an article that used an anonymous source to bash stadium expansion and y=the so called "journalist" implied that the person was a trusted source.
I replied to the online article's comment section pointing out that the anonymous source used was someone that posted in their Rutgers Forum under the name anonymous and what that troll said in the RUFB forum NJO had was exactly the same thing the so called Star Liar "journalist" used in article.
Next thing I knew was my comment was taken down and I was banned from commenting on star liar articles.
So maybe what they mean is they're the #1 source for misinformation in NJ.

Last edited:
according to a quick google ( without me checking for accuracy)
Top 30 newspapers in New Jersey
RankOutletLocation
1The Jersey JournalSecaucus, NJ
2The Times of TrentonTrenton, NJ
3The Star-LedgerNewark, NJ
4Suburban NewsNew Providence, NJ
I didn't go to each site to see what they said about themselves like Advanced Media (Star Liar) claimed about themself.
Also didn't click the link to claim you posted.
So won't claim it's a lie, just say I don't trust them and haven't for years.

Still remember years ago a Star Liar " journalist" wrote an article that used an anonymous source to bash stadium expansion and y=the so called "journalist" implied that the person was a trusted source.
I replied to the online article's comment section pointing out that the anonymous source used was someone that posted in their Rutgers Forum under the name anonymous and what that troll said in the RUFB forum NJO had was exactly the same thing the so called Star Liar "journalist" used in article.
Next thing I knew was my comment was taken down and I was banned from commenting on star liar articles.
So maybe what they mean is they're the #1 source for misinformation in NJ.

Nj.com isn’t a newspaper. It seems like you’re getting the star ledger and nj.com mixed up…

Advanced media owns all 4 newspapers mentioned above…and all are affiliated with nj.com so your chart is evidence that nj.com IS likely the top site for news in nj

Nj.com isn’t a newspaper. It seems like you’re getting the star ledger and nj.com mixed up…

Advanced media owns all 4 newspapers mentioned above…and all are affiliated with nj.com so your chart is evidence that nj.com IS likely the top site for news in nj
Owning all 4 makes it #1, can't deny that.
But can feel sad about it.

Owning all 4 makes it #1, can't deny that.
But can feel sad about it.

You can feel however you want…but to think advance media is gonna go away in a few years cause there format isn’t sustainable is kinda head scratching.

never claimed it would be going away and wonder why you're saying I think Advanced Media will be biteing the dust, but you could be right thinking I wouldn't mind seeing the liars sports section go the way the NY Times sports section did..

Making untrue claims because you don't like someone's attitude about a media site isn't nice, if you said I wished ( not think) it would go away might be a better to put it, since I never claimed it would go out of business like a lot of other newspapers have
When talomh about the LIAR, always said would hate to seemost of their employees lose their jobs, but there are some that I wouldn't mind never seeing another article from them.

Scratching head should be over claim that isn't true.
Are you an Advanced Publication employee that feels the need to defend them??

I don’t know who it was..but a poster said their way of doing things won’t be sustainable. Never claimed it was you, apologies.

Not an employee..was never an employee…but as I’ve said above, I did do work with them through my former employer (and other advance media sites) in the past…To say nj advanced media doesn’t like rutgers and is out for them is just plain false….

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT