ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJ.com reports on its “championship team” of sports reporters

Keith Sargeant’s “A Culture of Silence” investigation uncovered how a predator coach, charged with sexual assault, slipped from school to school before he was caught.

Sargeant also won for his deep dive into how Rutgers fell behind in the NIL wars with other Big Ten powerhouses, “Name, Image and Lagging Behind.”

Matt Stanmyre’s podcast series, “Lights Out: The Loss of A Lifetime,” provided an oral history of a state championship football game between Montclair and Randolph that changed lives forever, and often not in a good way. Stanmyre won in the Projects category.

Columnist Steve Politi, who a few years ago was named the nation’s No. 1 sports columnist by the APSE, won for his “Livvy Inc.,” a profile of N.J. gymnast and NIL millionaire Olivia Dunne, along with his piece on Weequahic High’s historic winning streak and his portfolio of columns, which included the heartbreaking story of a paralyzed N.J. man.

Darryl Slater was named one of the nation’s top beat reporters for his coverage of the Giants.

Brian Fonseca, Pat Lanni, Todderick Hunt, Kevin Armstrong, Andre Malok and Politi won for their wall-to-wall coverage of Rutgers’ epic 2024 men’s basketball recruiting class.

Armstrong also won for “Ghanian Grace,” an in-depth profile of St. Benedict’s soccer player Ransford Gyan.

Andrew Mills, Chris Faytok and Scott Faytok won photography awards for their action and feature shots.

The 2023 APSE awards were announced after NJ Advance Media captured a slew of awards — across all departments — from the New Jersey Press Association.

So, know this: When those pro and college sports teams decide to win a championship, they’ll be covered by a championship team of our own.

Rutgers fell so far behind in the NIL Wars that we landed the #2 recruiting class in basketball and retained all(?) our key contributors in football for next season. Great stuff by Sarge. Here's another trophy for your ratface lookalike skills 🏆

I know the crew is hated on these boards..but they’re very good at what they do.

Well earned
Yeah, they're very good at writing baiting, negative headlines with half-assed facts and half-baked theories while omitting facts that don't support their narrative. Yellow journalism that is not worth lining bird cages with. Hope they go under soon.

I know the crew is hated on these boards..but they’re very good at what they do.

Well earned
You are 100% correct. They are excellent at creating a divisive rift between the pro and anti Rutgers crowd thereby limiting the entire state backing the home team like others around the nation do. They are also exceptional at being dvcks because of that reason

Yeah, they're very good at writing baiting, negative headlines with half-assed facts and half-baked theories while omitting facts that don't support their narrative. Yellow journalism that is not worth lining bird cages with. Hope they go under soon.

With a potentially historic season in basketball next year and what could be our best football year as big ten members…very silly to hope our biggest media outlet isn’t around to cover it.

You are 100% correct. They are excellent at creating a divisive rift between the pro and anti Rutgers crowd thereby limiting the entire state backing the home team like others around the nation do. They are also exceptional at being dvcks because of that reason

They’re also excellent, as I said, in photography, writing, emerging, etc. hence the awards.

The Politi column on the paralyzed man in Manville was incredible but heartbreaking at the same time. That Stanmyre piece on the Montclair-Randolph game was outstanding too. I think some of the posters who cling to the anti-RU nj.com narrative don't actually read any of the stories/columns.

Reactions: MrsScrew
Remember what they did to Bob Mulcahy.
They did it recently with Hobbs and the NIL piece.

IDGAF what other stories they write. They are dead to me, and a waste of my time.
Exactly. The historic 2005 and 2006 football seasons resulted in multi article hatchet jobs and Bob Mulcahy being run out of Piscataway on a greased rail. They don't contribute anything constructive.

They'll be around to tell NJ residents how all this sports success is wasting their tax money.
I'm sure we'll get the, "The Cost of Winning" where they just rehash the same dead horse for the hundredth time. NJ.com has always been the one to rip any success down.

Reactions: RUScrew85
OK, Mrs. Politi.
Great thing about this country is that we can have our own opinions of things that differ. I respect your opinion, but vehemently disagree with it.

That’s fine..but I don’t understand how you can have an opinion on articles that you don’t read. You said NJ.com is dead to you. So I assume you don’t read anything from it. Maybe not the best person to judge the articles, no?

Certainly great in the country that we can all have opinions. It’s just silly to opine that a publication that has won all those awards doesn’t put out good content.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
With a potentially historic season in basketball next year and what could be our best football year as big ten members…very silly to hope our biggest media outlet isn’t around to cover it.
when you remember how they covered Rutgers when RU Football was starting to improve from the Shea era and how over the years negativity outweighed any positive coverage, the hate is well earned.
And reading what was written about RU FB & MBB by those germ-o-lists you wouldn't think, most of the time, Rutgers football had it's best year in the B1G.
As for the awards, participation trophies are all they are

Last edited:
This below is the start of the article. Absolutely needless pot-shots at all the local teams. A perfect illustration of why they have turned so many sports fans against them.

“Sports fans in New Jersey are waiting for a winner.

Aside from the Tommy Cutlets Mania that lasted a few weeks, the Giants, Jets and Eaglesgave us reasons to spend Sundays picking apples and pumpkins and rummaging through flea markets last fall instead of watching the NFL.

The Yankees haven’t won a title in 15 years, and the Mets, even with their owner’s billions, can’t break through. The Phillies fell short, too.

Meanwhile, Rutgers football team is ascending, but fans expected more from their hoops squads this season — and eagerly await the arrival of Dylan Harper, Ace Bailey and others.

And those Devils? Yikes. Don’t get us started.

But until somebody hoists a trophy, where can sports fans in New Jersey find wins?”

The articles on RU aside, when they write stories about real things & real people, they are VERY well done.

Politi's journalism and stories about real life people are always excellent and well written. Same for Sarge.

And, if you take a step back from the RU love, they are often spot on with their criticism of Rutgers, not always, but often.

Andy Mill's photography is top notch. I have the one that he took of the MBB team jumping for joy when Aiden Terry hit his first 3pt shot in my office.

This below is the start of the article. Absolutely needless pot-shots at all the local teams. A perfect illustration of why they have turned so many sports fans against them.

“Sports fans in New Jersey are waiting for a winner.

Aside from the Tommy Cutlets Mania that lasted a few weeks, the Giants, Jets and Eaglesgave us reasons to spend Sundays picking apples and pumpkins and rummaging through flea markets last fall instead of watching the NFL.

The Yankees haven’t won a title in 15 years, and the Mets, even with their owner’s billions, can’t break through. The Phillies fell short, too.

Meanwhile, Rutgers football team is ascending, but fans expected more from their hoops squads this season — and eagerly await the arrival of Dylan Harper, Ace Bailey and others.

And those Devils? Yikes. Don’t get us started.

But until somebody hoists a trophy, where can sports fans in New Jersey find wins?”

what is incorrect in any of that?

what is incorrect in any of that?
It's not a matter of being correct. It's a matter of constantly finding the negative in things. There was no need whatsoever to start the article with it, or include it at all. Instead of just celebrating their own accomplishments they have to constantly take digs.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
It's not a matter of being correct. It's a matter of constantly finding the negative in things. There was no need whatsoever to start the article with it, or include it at all. Instead of just celebrating their own accomplishments they have to constantly take digs.

is there a positive in every team in the tri state area sucking all in the same year?

is there a positive in every team in the tri state area sucking all in the same year?
The funny thing is they left Seton Hall out and they are having a solid season. Still some work to do, but they should make the NCAAs.

Reactions: ruinac
Was I dreaming or did Rutgers not earn and win a bowl game? Are Princeton and Seton Hall MBB not having good seasons? There were/are other positive NJ sports stories, too. If you are writing a celebratory article and feel a need to reference local sports, why not lead with positives and segue into their own good news?

But if it gives them their jollies to exploit every opportunity to shit on the local teams, even when/where it adds NOTHING to the substance of the story, then they shouldn’t wonder why they themselves are criticized.

That’s fine..but I don’t understand how you can have an opinion on articles that you don’t read. You said NJ.com is dead to you. So I assume you don’t read anything from it. Maybe not the best person to judge the articles, no?

Certainly great in the country that we can all have opinions. It’s just silly to opine that a publication that has won all those awards doesn’t put out good content.
I have seen enough from reports here, and X (formerly Twitter). You could be right about other articles in other areas, but NJ.com/Star Ledger has a long enough and consistent enough track record of stirring up trouble and crapping all over Rutgers that my opinion is fairly based. Saying that they do good work in other areas is like saying Jeffrey Dahmer helped old ladies cross the street and he gave to the Salvation Army- yeah, that's extreme, but they don't redeem themselves to loyal Rutgers fans by doing purportedly "good work" in other areas. I still respect your opinion, however.

Might be silly to think they'll cover it in a fair light.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT