ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers’ Derek Simpson receives invite to European basketball tour

^^^^^^^^

Bad enough we have dumb fans who don't see Defense, ball handling, passing, athleticism and leadership. I get it you don't understand the game. But don't double down and be a douchebag. Dumb and Douchey is a terrible look for you.

I've seen two players who were able to make that under the Basket layup that Derek made at Maryland. Neither of them played here and I didn't see them do it during their college playing days.

Also want to note that I believe Hyatt played in Europe a couple of summers ago and really improved his game. He's been our most consistent player this year and has been the wrath of many fools on this board too.

Happy to see the kids prove the morons wrong but more happy to just see them working hard and improving. Both of these kids are playing solid Defense this year. With Mag out Derek is really stepping it up on D leading to easy buckets for others.

^^^^^^^^

Bad enough we have dumb fans who don't see Defense, ball handling, passing, athleticism and leadership. I get it you don't understand the game. But don't double down and be a douchebag. Dumb and Douchey is a terrible look for you.

I've seen two players who were able to make that under the Basket layup that Derek made at Maryland. Neither of them played here and I didn't see them do it during their college playing days.

Also want to note that I believe Hyatt played in Europe a couple of summers ago and really improved his game. He's been our most consistent player this year and has been the wrath of many fools on this board too.

Happy to see the kids prove the morons wrong but more happy to just see them working hard and improving. Both of these kids are playing solid Defense this year. With Mag out Derek is really stepping it up on D leading to easy buckets for others.
Ok whatever dude. I guess we watch a different game.

You are watching a different game.
Have at it and hard to defend his shooting when shots aren’t falling. You’d be correct if you want to criticize his shooting but you are dead wrong in everything else

But if you can’t see raw speed and talent…

Best defensive player on the team, best motor and hustler on the team, best ball handler on the team, best foul shooter on the team.

Beyond that one of the primary reasons we scored 82 points is because Derek played 29 minutes without turning the ball over!!! Not the first time he’s done that either. I believe in a few of the last few games he has know had games of 0 turnovers, 0 turnovers and 1 turnover. If you don’t see that I don’t know what game you’re watching Dude.

If Ace and Dylan and now JWill are taking the shots next year don’t you want a guy who doesn’t turn the ball over for games at a time?

Three rebounds, a pretty assist, a steal, not to mention defensive havoc with tips and deflections not recorded and 29 minutes without a turnover is exactly what we needed. Still only a sophomore.

So take away his minutes? Ridiculous!

Derek is good at everything except shooting but the shooting is so egregiously bad it throws his future role into question. He absolutely needs to improve.
Great form and one of best foul shooters in the league is the reason why astute fans think his shooting will come around and that it is downright silly to question future role.

His ball handling is better than good. Going entire games without turnovers is exactly what RU needs and wants.

The hand wringing over shooting on a team where nobody shoots particularly well is grossly unfair to single out a particular player.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
Great form and one of best foul shooters in the league is the reason why astute fans think his shooting will come around and that it is downright silly to question future role.

His ball handling is better than good. Going entire games without turnovers is exactly what RU needs and wants.

The hand wringing over shooting on a team where nobody shoots particularly well is grossly unfair to single out a particular player.
The handwringing is warranted. He’s the worst shooter on a poor shooting team. Among starters, it’s not even close. He gets wide open shots because of his other skills but he bricks 70% of them. That needs to change if he wants starters minutes next year. By comparison, as a freshman J Mike shoots 40%, while Derek is below 32%!

The handwringing is warranted. He’s the worst shooter on a poor shooting team. Among starters, it’s not even close. He gets wide open shots because of his other skills but he bricks 70% of them. That needs to change if he wants starters minutes next year. By comparison, as a freshman J Mike shoots 40%, while Derek is below 32%!
Foul Shooting?
No turnovers?
Best ball handler on team?
Assists and rebounding improving as season goes along?
Stellar defense?
Hustle and motor?
Effort?
Fastest player on team?
Aren’t those the qualities you want if Ace, Dylan and JWill are your primary shooters next year?
Asking for a friend?

Last edited:
Find me the tournament team with a guard who shoots 33% on twos and 29% on threes.

Back in 2021 Brad Davison had an even worse 2 point shooting season than Simpson -- he made just 27% of his twos. Awful. But... he made 39% of 161 three point attempts.

Reactions: TRU2RU
Find me a tournament team that doesn’t want a player who is the primary ball handler and has three games in a row of zero turnovers, one turnover and zero turnovers.

Find me a tournament team that doesn’t want a foul shooter that shoots almost 87% from the line.

Find me a tournament team that doesn’t want to play its best defensive guard and it’s fastest/quickest player?

Find me a tournament team that doesn’t want a player who is the primary ball handler and has three games in a row of zero turnovers, one turnover and zero turnovers.

Find me a tournament team that doesn’t want a foul shooter that shoots almost 87% from the line.

Find me a tournament team that doesn’t want to play its best defensive guard and it’s fastest/quickest player?
Simpson has been a valuable player this year. A lot of what he provides goes unnoticed, hence his high minutes. But when jwill arrived that allowed him to play smarter and be a better ball handler because he no longer has to be the teams playmaker. Hence, less turnovers because jwill is making most of the decisions. He is best as a complimentary ball handler right now, not primary. But he's an excellent foul shooter which should mean that he'll become a good shooter. Only thing is his form on jump shots. It's like he's still trying to figure out the best way to shoot. Often too strong leading to bricks idk but don't think you'd want to rely on him as a starter next year with Harper as the other guard and possibly jwill. They can do all the things you mention Simpson does well. But you never know who will be here so I wouldn't push anyone off the team..

Simpson has been a valuable player this year. A lot of what he provides goes unnoticed, hence his high minutes. But when jwill arrived that allowed him to play smarter and be a better ball handler because he no longer has to be the teams playmaker. Hence, less turnovers because jwill is making most of the decisions. He is best as a complimentary ball handler right now, not primary. But he's an excellent foul shooter which should mean that he'll become a good shooter. Only thing is his form on jump shots. It's like he's still trying to figure out the best way to shoot. Often too strong leading to bricks idk but don't think you'd want to rely on him as a starter next year with Harper as the other guard and possibly jwill. They can do all the things you mention Simpson does well. But you never know who will be here so I wouldn't push anyone off the team..
He still primarily brings the ball up court. And does that exceedingly well under pressure. Not giving him enough credit. Does it even better than J Will who has had some trouble when pressed full court and oddly picks up dribble when crosses half court.

JWill has passed better in offensive half court sets granted and a better shooter.

The intangibles of hustle, speed, steals, rebounding, motor, defense, ball handling, foul shooting and speed are exactly what you want to complement Ace and Dylan who I imagine will be our shooters. JWill too.

Great form and one of best foul shooters in the league is the reason why astute fans think his shooting will come around
He has the 17th worst eFG% in the entirety of Division I among players who play >40% of their teams minutes. Not sure exactly how many players that population is but it is at least 362*5 = 1,810 players. So he's in the bottom 1%. He needs a huge amount of improvement to get to the lofty levels of "bad". He's basically halfway done his career.

and that it is downright silly to question future role.
Well his role is certainly not going to be putting up a lot of shots on a good team unless he improves astronomically at putting the ball in the basket.
Yup, like I said. I like him a lot as a player in virtually every other aspect.
Nope. The team has an eFG% of 44.2% which is #355 in the country. Derek is almost nine percentage points worse than average on one of the bottom ten shooting teams in the country with an eFG% of 35.4%. If an entire team existed that had the eFG% of Derek Simpson it would be the worst in the country... by more than 5 percentage points.

Foul Shooting?
No turnovers?
Best ball handler on team?
Assists and rebounding improving as season goes along?
Stellar defense?
Hustle and motor?
Effort?
Fastest player on team?
Aren’t those the qualities you want if Ace, Dylan and JWill are your primary shooters next year?
Asking for a friend?
Tell your friend Yes, if Derek is willing to take half as many shots as he takes this year. . . . OR maybe he works on his shot and becomes the whole package. I do really like the rest of his game.

And wouldn’t you want him back as a senior if Ace and Dylan leave after one year?

The roster is full of poor shooters .Simpson gets more negative comments because he usually takes more shots than other guards.Next season roles must be clearly defined depending on who will be on the court with Bailey and Harper.The team definitely will need a 3 point shooter similar to Spencer in order to be a NCAA Tournament team.

^^^^^^^^

I understand the game, thank you. He has some strengths but passing and leadership are not among them. Not at all. Is Noah not a good leader ? Hyatt ? How do you know ?

Simpson’s ‘me me’ attitude is as obvious as the sun is bright. He’s an immature, selfish player. I’ll never forget after his showboating/taunting Technical his smug, punk, smirking look on his face that would have gotten me smacked when I was in grade school. By HS and college I was mature enough to know what’s funny and what isn’t.

I understand the game, thank you. He has some strengths but passing and leadership are not among them. Not at all. Is Noah not a good leader ? Hyatt ? How do you know ?

Simpson’s ‘me me’ attitude is as obvious as the sun is bright. He’s an immature, selfish player. I’ll never forget after his showboating/taunting Technical his smug, punk, smirking look on his face that would have gotten me smacked when I was in grade school. By HS and college I was mature enough to know what’s funny and what isn’t.
It's interesting you think Simpson has the me me attitude. Since J Will came in, Simpson has as many assists and has take fewer shots. Does that J Will a me me me guy?

It's interesting you think Simpson has the me me attitude. Since J Will came in, Simpson has as many assists and has take fewer shots. Does that J Will a me me me guy?
Sort of, yes. Thanks for noting it. The difference is, JWill doesn’t take shots he can’t make. DSelfish keeps shooting. Plus, he doesnt care.

And, about ‘assist’ stats. Assists are credited for the previous to a score. Our offense is isolation. Should it really be an assist when the guy who simply beats his man on an iso play got a pass first?

Sort of, yes. Thanks for noting it. The difference is, JWill doesn’t take shots he can’t make. DSelfish keeps shooting. Plus, he doesnt care.

And, about ‘assist’ stats. Assists are credited for the previous to a score. Our offense is isolation. Should it really be an assist when the guy who simply beats his man on an iso play got a pass first?
Well, isn't that up to an official scorer, or something. I believe there is a line where enough iso would eliminate an assist.

As for Simpson, he's basically a younger, less mature J Will. Unfortunately, he spent a large chunk of time as the only guy on the team that could get his own shot, or who wanted the ball at the end of the clock. He does have irrational confidence. Disagree he doesn't care, kid works on defense.

Well, isn't that up to an official scorer, or something. I believe there is a line where enough iso would eliminate an assist.

As for Simpson, he's basically a younger, less mature J Will. Unfortunately, he spent a large chunk of time as the only guy on the team that could get his own shot, or who wanted the ball at the end of the clock. He does have irrational confidence. Disagree he doesn't care, kid works on defense.
Yes, it is up to a scorer. But not all assists are equally related to scores. Watch UConn and Purdue to see legit assists:

To me, irrational confidence is selfishness.

And I don’t think he’s an immature JWill. Different body type, unrelated to maturity.

JWill is strong. DSelfish is not, and won’t be. JWill plays bully ball. DSelfish mostly plays to avoid contact and takes mid range jumpers instead.

Yes, it is up to a scorer. But not all assists are equally related to scores. Watch UConn and Purdue to see legit assists:

To me, irrational confidence is selfishness.

And I don’t think he’s an immature JWill. Different body type, unrelated to maturity.

JWill is strong. DSelfish is not, and won’t be. JWill plays bully ball. DSelfish mostly plays to avoid contact and takes mid range jumpers instead.
Our off the ball movement is awful, tough to come up w UConn style assists. The team in general, very much including JWill, relyb too much on the dribble and not quick ball movement.
J Will has two full years of development and conditioning on Derek. Yes, its possible DS never fills out like JW though. You've seen DS try to finish at the rim, you really want him doing more of that? While I dislike most mid range shots, DS actually shoots it slightly above national average and he's awful in the paint, so its what it is for now.

Reactions: motorb54
Our off the ball movement is awful, tough to come up w UConn style assists. The team in general, very much including JWill, relyb too much on the dribble and not quick ball movement.
J Will has two full years of development and conditioning on Derek. Yes, its possible DS never fills out like JW though. You've seen DS try to finish at the rim, you really want him doing more of that? While I dislike most mid range shots, DS actually shoots it slightly above national average and he's awful in the paint, so its what it is for now.
I agree with most of the above, but the problem isn’t the ‘off ball’ movement. Why move if the guards don’t pass others into good looks ? The problem is with the ball-.dominant guards, not what the players who don’t have the ball do.

and the lack of ball movement in favor of isolation offense by the guards sacrifices GG’s and Mag’s production on offense.

Their stats don’t tell their story.

I agree with most of the above, but the problem isn’t the ‘off ball’ movement. Why move if the guards don’t pass others into good looks ? The problem is with the ball-.dominant guards, not what the players who don’t have the ball do.

and the lack of ball movement in favor of isolation offense by the guards sacrifices GG’s and Mag’s production on offense.

Their stats don’t tell their story.
Even with our over dribbling Its hard to pass stationary objects into good looks. Both are equal problems. A small movement can open up a passing lane that wasn't there.

Jump shooters are supposed to be stationary or close to it receiving. That’s ideal. That’s why they are jump shooters. They are stationary by design.

And the guards don’t deliver the rock, as they say.

I will push back on the Simpson being a younger jwill. I didn't see jwill play before this year but Simpson always looks out of control or as if he's moving too fast. Jwill is under control and even paced more often than not. Speeding up when required. In the offense that Rutgers wants to run and the offense that recruits like Dylan want to play in guards have the freedom to control the game and play make for themselves or teammates. Simpson is not selfish he's trying to make plays just sucks that his shot isn't falling. That has lead to some questionable decisions/indecisiveness before jwill arrived. Jwill has allowed Simpson to focus on what he can do to help instead of scoring. But even last year, when Simpson gets into the half court, he often looks out of control with the basketball to me. I Like him off the ball, just needs to get his jump shot together. Wouldn't trust him in jwills role, maybe in 2 years as you said.

Two of the best ever. Try the Wisky, Iowa and Purdue shooters every year.
They all move to get themselves open shots. Very few of the teams you mention have outstanding passing point guards. What they have are well rounded guys who know how to play.

They all move to get themselves open shots. Very few of the teams you mention have outstanding passing point guards. What they have are well rounded guys who know how to play.
No, those teams have excellent passers at all positions, even Edey. We don’t have any so our ballhandlers stifle the others In half court offense. Even our transition game passing is terrible. Do you notice our breaks are always trainwrecks if passes are attempted ?

Widely differing opinions on Simpson. Elements of truth to both sides. Seems like a good young guy. Maybe a little overconfident sometimes like Jacob Young but that's not a deal breaker. Playing against competition in Europe will likely be very good for him if that's what he decides to do.

No, those teams have excellent passers at all positions, even Edey. We don’t have any so our ballhandlers stifle the others In half court offense. Even our transition game passing is terrible. Do you notice our breaks are always trainwrecks if passes are attempted ?
You call them excellent passers, I call them excellent decision makers. Our guards aren't great decision makers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT