ADVERTISEMENT

Another Schiano Thread (yes, there's mutual interest according to my sources)...

Well, thought I'd revisit this thread and make my comments here.

The latest Ledger story on Campanile/Fisch is a very weak trial balloon/negotiating tactic from Hobbs and nobody takes this seriously, since those candidates aren't serious candidates. If Hobbs wants to negotiate through the media, he needs to up his game with some real candidates - all of whom would be asking for the same things Schiano is, which is why Hobbs needs to go if he can't close the deal with Greg. Also, loved LeGrand calling out the BOG with his “you know what you need to do” comment, which carries far more weight than this weak tactic.

As everyone knows, this is a very complex financial negotiation right now, involving the need for funding from a combination of the State of NJ, Rutgers (including how much money will come from the U vs. the B1G income), and the major boosters and it's made even more complex by everyone involved wanting to “look good” to their constituents, such that the negotiations have become quite political behind the scenes (and in the various stories "encouraged" by each side via the press). Add in the complexity of the huge egos involved and no wonder it’s not done yet. Let’s just hope the egos involved don’t allow this to be effed up.

Having said all that, based on what I've heard from my sources (not including my Schiano source, since that was only pumped hard before I started this thread when I confirmed Greg's strong interest in the job) and my reading of the tea leaves, I still strongly believe this deal will get done, as long as I think this is simply negotiations ongoing and I have to believe that neither side is stupid enough to walk away, since both need each other hugely, as Schiano isn't getting a better head coaching gig and RU isn't getting a better coach for the $$. But it is Rutgers and NJ, so stupidity is always an option, sadly. Get it done Pat. Or else.

Well, thought I'd revisit this thread and make my comments here.

The latest Ledger story on Campanile/Fisch is a very weak trial balloon/negotiating tactic from Hobbs and nobody takes this seriously, since those candidates aren't serious candidates. If Hobbs wants to negotiate through the media, he needs to up his game with some real candidates - all of whom would be asking for the same things Schiano is, which is why Hobbs needs to go if he can't close the deal with Greg. Also, loved LeGrand calling out the BOG with his “you know what you need to do” comment, which carries far more weight than this weak tactic.

As everyone knows, this is a very complex financial negotiation right now, involving the need for funding from a combination of the State of NJ, Rutgers (including how much money will come from the U vs. the B1G income), and the major boosters and it's made even more complex by everyone involved wanting to “look good” to their constituents, such that the negotiations have become quite political behind the scenes (and in the various stories "encouraged" by each side via the press). Add in the complexity of the huge egos involved and no wonder it’s not done yet. Let’s just hope the egos involved don’t allow this to be effed up.

Having said all that, based on what I've heard from my sources (not including my Schiano source, since that was only pumped hard before I started this thread when I confirmed Greg's strong interest in the job) and my reading of the tea leaves, I still strongly believe this deal will get done, as long as I think this is simply negotiations ongoing and I have to believe that neither side is stupid enough to walk away, since both need each other hugely, as Schiano isn't getting a better head coaching gig and RU isn't getting a better coach for the $$. But it is Rutgers and NJ, so stupidity is always an option, sadly. Get it done Pat. Or else.
That's a nice post, but you end with "Get it done Pat?" How about "Get it done Pat and Greg." Must RU, namely the BOG and Pat, kowtow to every demand of Greg's, even if the demand is way out of line?

Last edited:
Reactions: AreYouNUTS
The more time passes, the less likely it will be Schiano and the more I think it will be Nunzio. I actually don't have a problem with Camp, I think he will recruit very well. He is liked by HS coaches.
I suppose Schiano might have already accepted the terms and Hobbs doesn't want to announce it until after the last game, but I think this scenario is unlikely with all the leaks we have.

The more time passes, the less likely it will be Schiano and the more I think it will be Nunzio. I actually don't have a problem with Camp, I think he will recruit very well. He is liked by HS coaches.
I suppose Schiano might have already accepted the terms and Hobbs doesn't want to announce it until after the last game, but I think this scenario is unlikely with all the leaks we have.
You kidding me??? He is liked by HS coaches?? Mickey Mouse club.

Well this certainly sucks and I hate not hiring Greg far more than being wrong on a prediction (although I did get the mutual interest part right months ago). Hobbs should be fired for not getting this done. He had over a year to figure out what Greg wanted and make it happen. This is clearly over facilities, not salary, as per below, which means Hobbs and the BOG, presumably were not able to figure out a creative way to fund the facilities we need to keep up with the middle of the pack in the B1G. This is a travesty of epic proportions, even for Rutgers. If Hobbs wasn't going to seriously figure out what was needed and be prepared to fund it, he should never have even had Greg as a candidate.

https://sports.yahoo.com/greg-schia...sted-in-head-coach-job-anymore-193103507.html

"A source with direct knowledge of the negotiations said that Schiano’s salary was not one of the hold-ups. He was slated to be paid among the bottom three head coaches in the Big Ten. The source added that Schiano made concessions from many of his initial asks.

The sides have been in frequent touch since the Nov. 5 meeting when Schiano laid out a granular plan that detailed what he felt it would take to revive the school’s lagging football program.

Rutgers (2-8, 0-7 Big Ten) is considered the worst Power Five program in college football and this failed courtship does little to shake that reputation."

Wait, I thought Greg had been hired 2 weeks ago, no? A fail of epic proportions even for RU.
I texted my source when the news broke--and he said "seriously?". Sources can be wrong.
Depending on which story/sources people want to believe, there could be epic fails on both sides. Don't know if we will ever sort out exactly what was on table for Greg. Heading to Subway, old, lame joke be damned.

Oh, and when are you fully retired? You should do some part time work on patents. :Sly:

I texted my source when the news broke--and he said "seriously?". Sources can be wrong.
Depending on which story/sources people want to believe, there could be epic fails on both sides. Don't know if we will ever sort out exactly what was on table for Greg. Heading to Subway, old, lame joke be damned.

Oh, and when are you fully retired? You should do some part time work on patents. :Sly:
Friday was my last day. Have an epic retirement thread planned. It'll make my weather threads look short, lol.

Like I've been saying, never a doubt, lol. Wow, what a long strange trip this has all been, eh? But in the end we finally got what most of us wanted, even if it required a lot more effort, angst, heartache and elation than we ever thought possible. And at the end of the day, WE DID IT! Seriously, we should all give ourselves (well at least the ones who really wanted Greg back) a big freakin' hand for our roles in making this happen. From letters to phone calls to Facebook posts to tweets and back again and over again (and over and over), make no mistake about it - this doesn't happen without the efforts of us fans and the big donors, as well as the media, especially our NJAM friends. This will make for an interesting case study some day in grass roots organization and impact.

Now Greg and his new staff need to deliver after we all went to bat for him and it's not going to be easy, just like in 2001, but at least we have a much better infrastructure and program in place vs. back then, so Greg just needs to recruit his ass off, hire some top notch assistants and coordinators, allow them to do their jobs and bring us back to respectability to start and then we can start worrying about beyond that. I'm a happy camper right now. The Schiano Saga had a happy ending and I'm having a blast tracking the first potential snowstorm of the season. What's not to like?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT