ADVERTISEMENT

Another Schiano Thread (yes, there's mutual interest according to my sources)...

This is one flaw in the Schiano argument - you guys make it sound like the infrastructure is broken. Uhm, it's not. It's actually better than it's ever been. That was one of Ash's faults actually. He thought that just by putting down the infrastructure, the wins would start happening.

Perception, being laughed at, being referred to as a joke program ...... these things are not "infrastructure," they are ancillary stuff. Winning will cure all of that.

We don't need a "program builder." What we need is someone who can beat Ryan Day, Penis Head, Frost etc etc. We need a good coach. That's what we need.

We don't need the infrastructure improvements we needed when Schiano first arrived, but we do need a "program builder".

We need to start from square one with recruiting and talent. We need a complete overhaul of our schemes/philosophy and player development systems. We need a 100-point restoration of public perception and community buy in.

We don't need a coach to come in and maintain success after a successful coach left (like we did in 2012), or a coach to improve on mediocre/disappointing results (like Michigan needed in 2015). We need someone willing and able to essentially build a competitive B1G East team from scratch. The fire has gone out, water has been poured on the embers, and there's no firewood left beyond some kindling... but the fire pit itself is still in great shape and ready for someone to build the campfire anew.

We don't need the infrastructure improvements we needed when Schiano first arrived, but we do need a "program builder".

We need to start from square one with recruiting and talent. We need a complete overhaul of our schemes/philosophy and player development systems. We need a 100-point restoration of public perception and community buy in.

We don't need a coach to come in and maintain success after a successful coach left (like we did in 2012), or a coach to improve on mediocre/disappointing results (like Michigan needed in 2015). We need someone willing and able to essentially build a competitive B1G East team from scratch. The fire has gone out, water has been poured on the embers, and there's no firewood left beyond some kindling... but the fire pit itself is still in great shape and ready for someone to build the campfire anew.

Well said and I think Schiano is on a short list of folks that we'd likely be able to get for about $4MM (assuming that's our number) who can recruit and coach his way out of the mess we're in and Schiano, IMO, has an edge over most folks on this short list, since he's obviously done this before at Rutgers, which is not a small accomplishment and is an advantage in that he knows how to get it done here. I'd happily take a Fleck or a Clawson (although I still prefer Greg), but I don't want 95% of the other names I keep hearing.

I also think many undersell Greg's record. One simply shouldn't "count" the 3-4 years it took him to build EVERYTHING here, including the upgrade in talent and coaches, but also all the infrastructure/support, so when looking at 2005-2011, in a BE that was the equal of the B1G during those years (as per the computers), he was 56-33 overall and 25-24 in the BE and won 5 of 6 bowl games - and left the best talent ever assembled at Rutgers when he understandably jumped to the NFL (the NFL, not UM or Miami), meaning he was poised for even greater success. That's a damn fine record.

Would Greg have gotten us beyond that point? Maybe if he had stayed, maybe not. But anyone on this board who wouldn't kill for that level of success again, which Greg has a high probability of delivering on, is just nuts IMO. Let's get to 3-5 wins in 2-3 years and then, hopefully 6-8 per year after that under Greg and then see if he can break through to beyond 8 wins. If he can't, then find another coach when we can negotiate from a position of strength and should have righted the ship financially, through attendance/bowls/etc., as opposed to now, when we're simply not getting the next level up from Greg, IMO, at $4MM/year. I can live with Greg's "floor" but I can't continue to live with what we have now and I'd much rather get to Greg's floor than weather another 4 years of this.

I don't consider installing "schemes/philosophy and player development systems" the same as program building. I feel like any new coach will do that anyway.

Reactions: MoobyCow

Your metaphorical description of the program was screaming out for "ash." Did you purposely restrain yourself from using ash?

Reactions: MaxRU
I don't consider installing "schemes/philosophy and player development systems" the same as program building. I feel like any new coach will do that anyway.

It's not like we have personnel for an RPO offense and are looking for an RPO coach (or pick any other style) - there aren't discernible underpinnings of any established offensive or defensive systems where hiring a coach with a similar philosophy would allow us to get moving faster.

paying 4mm for GS is like paying 100k for a yugo

we don't need a program builder, we need a guy that can recruit, hire outstanding assistants and let them do their job and a guy that is awesome on gameday. GS has only 1 of those 3

Reactions: Local Shill
OK. Just recognize that you are saying RU is the single worst place to be a college football coach in the country then, and is not only unique, but a uniquely bad place to coach and really, no one should come coach here.

we won 1 game last year, and are on pace to win 1 game or 2 games this year, so yeah, this is a bad job to start with. So much work to be done. The next Rutgers Coach has got to be able to win over recruits via his force of personality. And if he can’t land the best recruits, he’s got to be able to scour the state of Rutgers and Florida to find recruits who can be competitive on this level. Do I see Joe Moorhead looking at tape at 2,3,4 in the morning to find recruits? No.

only 1 guy has a demonstrated track record at Rutgers. The notion that others could succeed as well is at best speculative.

we don't need a program builder, we need a guy that can recruit, hire outstanding assistants and let them do their job and a guy that is awesome on gameday. GS has only 1 of those 3

considering we’re getting millions of dollars incrementally from the Big Ten, I see it as a bargain.

Talking about Rose Bowls and Championships is aspirational and nothing more. We are currently the worst P5 team in the country. It takes years of amazing effort and constant building to get to that point. And the likelihood is that if any coach remotely sniffed that type of success here he’d be out the door probably before the bowl game even took place. So, let’s try to be realistic.

Would Greg ever get us there? Probably not but I figure he’s got as good of a shot at doing it as anyone else because I can point to 2006 as evidence. It’s a better season than any other candidate out there has ever had. So, sure, call him mediocre, average, whatever. The fact is that his best is better their best and that’s enough for me when I know that he’ll recruit well and bring in guys that will represent the school well.

Talking about Rose Bowls and Championships is aspirational and nothing more. We are currently the worst P5 team in the country. It takes years of amazing effort and constant building to get to that point. And the likelihood is that if any coach remotely sniffed that type of success here he’d be out the door probably before the bowl game even took place. So, let’s try to be realistic.

Would Greg ever get us there? Probably not but I figure he’s got as good of a shot at doing it as anyone else because I can point to 2006 as evidence. It’s a better season than any other candidate out there has ever had. So, sure, call him mediocre, average, whatever. The fact is that his best is better their best and that’s enough for me when I know that he’ll recruit well and bring in guys that will represent the school well.

Greg needs to talk about rose bowls and championships because everyone needs to know what the mission is. You have to talk about and sell the dream. Have to have vision to succeed at Rutgers. That’s what wishy washy Ash never got. The sales pitch to recruits is, “ we want to go to rose bowls and championships and if you come, well get there.”

I posted a couple of months ago about there being mutual interest between Rutgers and Schiano, should Ash falter further and be fired. Nothing with respect to that statement has changed, as there's still strong mutual interest between Rutgers and Schiano, according to my sources. Doesn't mean he'll be hired, but he's absolutely a candidate.

With regard to Greg's interest, the source I've used over the past ~20 years has confirmed that Greg is quite interested in the position. Like any source, it's possible his info is wrong (even though it's first hand, but maybe Greg is just being cagey), but this source is very good friends with Greg from way back in their playing days together at Bucknell and was right when it came to Greg turning down Miami and Michigan.

Another source tells me several of RU's big boosters are pro-Schiano guys, which is no surprise to many who know these boosters. What I don't know is what Hobbs thinks. I can only hope that these boosters are able to convince him that Greg is the best choice - unless Hobbs pulls a rabbit out of the hat and is able to afford bringing in a gamechanger as head coach.

I wasn't intending to rehash my thoughts on why I think Greg is a top choice, but I will repost a few high level points on that (which I just said in another thread on Greg).

Most intelligent people will look at Greg's record and evaluate his 2005-2011 run, after rebuilding the program from the abyss (arguably a worse one than we're in now, since we had no program/facilities, like we do now), where we went 56-33/25-24 and won 5 of 6 bowl games played in 7 years. Including one magical season where we finished #12 in the country and one tragic one, where we went 4-8.

No, we didn't win a BE championship or beat WVU, but we were always in the hunt (in a BE that had slightly better Sagarin ratings than the B1G back then, over those years), but Greg built a good to very good program where there was nothing before, primarily due to his attention to detail, passion, recruiting prowess and ability to spot and develop underappreciated talent. His accomplishments were directly responsible for us getting the new stadium, better facilities, achieving a great APR, and eventually getting the B1G invite.

Lastly, I also think that many of the criticisms of Schiano (control freak, inability to delegate, overly harsh/demanding, etc.) have some validity and Schiano actually agreed with much of the criticism in the Thamel article in SI that came out after Schiano was fired from TB. In that article Schiano really showed some great self-assessment and introspection in sharing some of the things he didn't do well at in the NFL and in college and how his next head coaching gig would incorporate some changes, including a bunch of things he observed in his year after TB, visiting other teams.

Many of the things he discussed, if Greg addresses them as well as he articulated them, would likely address the concerns many have, IMO. Plus, he doesn't have to build the foundation of a program any more (facilities, stadium and academic support are all in place, although obviously facilities can't remain stagnant) and should be able to focus on recruiting and coaching talent.

The one thing I do wonder about is whether anyone has done an assessment of how much he changed his approach at OSU or if that isn't really a valid thing to assess, since he wasn't the head coach and had to defer to Meyer in many things. If we could truly have a "new and improved" Schiano, who was a bit less of an overly demanding micromanager (including actually trusting an OC), who also gave more freedom to his players and wasn't a jerk to people in the athletic department (and even NFL scouts), while still retaining his passion for recruiting, discipline and coaching/developing talent, then I think he'd very likely be the best choice.

Even getting the old Greg back might still be the best choice amongst the candidates we hear about, but I love the idea of a better version of Schiano. Perhaps we can do better than Greg, but we're more likely to do worse with most of the names being bandied about and I'd rather go with what we know than an unknown (unless we're talking crazy good candidates like Meyer, who I assume is not interested). We'll see, I guess.

https://www.si.com/2014/11/04/nfl-greg-schiano-year-off

If u have a very good source (no I am not doubting u) can u answer the million dollar question so all speculation can be put to rest, has RU reached out to him or his agent yet? ( I’m assuming we have but many have been killing Hobbs for not)...

I’d want Hobbs fired if he offers Greg 4M per year. Unless Greg Brown and the RU boosters are paying most of it.

I’d want Hobbs fired if he offers Greg 4M per year. Unless Greg Brown and the RU boosters are paying most of it.
Greg will probably only command $3 mil.
The trouble with the $4 mil range is if Hobbs will go that high.
I'm hearing he'll be paying good money and 3 mil should be considered that.
But the top choices might want at least $4 mil to risk their careers at a project like RU and Hobbs might not be allowed to pay that and the RU boosters won't make up the difference.
Heck, their donations might be the reason it's $ 3mil.

When it comes to RU shelling out top dollars to bring in a HC, I'll believe it when I see it and not go by rumors based on interpretations on what Hobbs said about the hiring.

Greg will probably only command $3 mil.
The trouble with the $4 mil range is if Hobbs will go that high.
I'm hearing he'll be paying good money and 3 mil should be considered that.
But the top choices might want at least $4 mil to risk their careers at a project like RU and Hobbs might not be allowed to pay that and the RU boosters won't make up the difference.
Heck, their donations might be the reason it's $ 3mil.

When it comes to RU shelling out top dollars to bring in a HC, I'll believe it when I see it and not go by rumors based on interpretations on what Hobbs said about the hiring.

$3M would be 12th in the conference.
$4M would be tied for 10th.

If we're not willing to pay in the $3.5-4.5M range, we're not really serious about hiring a coach at this level.

$3M would be 12th in the conference.
$4M would be tied for 10th.

If we're not willing to pay in the $3.5-4.5M range, we're not really serious about hiring a coach at this level.
"$4M would be tied for 10th"
Makes me think that your $3.5-4.5M range will be around what Hobbs pays for a HC except Schiano or a retread like Jones trying to reestablish himself.
Ash was #13 in the conference pay-scale and
that type of spending isn't going to get the better possibilities,

I think Hobbs knows Schiano won't have other P-5 schools offering him and can offer Greg a little less to get back in the game and in a major conference.
I'd say $3mil and a big bump in 3rd based on performance.

A retread like Butch Jones maybe a little higher because he might have a few schools interested in him and Rutgers won't be the only game in town and he can get it bumped up to around $3.5 but not as high as the current G-5 coaches that will be hitting the market others schools will be talking to . They probably will be expecting $4 mil or more to come to RU..

Reactions: biker7766
You guys are looking at this all wrong, STAFF BUDGET is the real number and what separates the best good teams from the not so good teams.

Very true. Though, if you're spending just $2M on your HC, that's a pretty fair indication of how much you're spending on staff. I agree, though, that we can't expect to move the needle much if we bump the HC salary from $2M to $4M but keep staff salary the same.

Very true. Though, if you're spending just $2M on your HC, that's a pretty fair indication of how much you're spending on staff. I agree, though, that we can't expect to move the needle much if we bump the HC salary from $2M to $4M but keep staff salary the same.
That's usually probably right but I'm pretty sure when Ole Miss and LSU first made Luke/Orgeron permanent HCs they paid them in that 3-3.5M range and the budget for assistants went up to 5-6M IIRC.....if those Thamel numbers are right (4M HC/5M assistants) I wouldn't mind seeing something similar if the HC isn't deserving of that 4M...pay 3-3.5M and push the assistant budget up to 5.5-6M. Of course this depends on reports being true.

If u have a very good source (no I am not doubting u) can u answer the million dollar question so all speculation can be put to rest, has RU reached out to him or his agent yet? ( I’m assuming we have but many have been killing Hobbs for not)...

I didn't ask that question, as I don't like regularly "pumping" my friends/sources for info, as I'm pretty sure they would be annoyed by that (and might not provide any info in the future). I was more than happy enough to know from the Schiano source that Greg is interested and more than happy to know from my AD/RU source that RU is interested in Schiano (and others, obviously). And I'm not about to BS people and say I've heard something specific that I didn't hear (which is easy to do and many around here do that).

Knowing those two things, you can be certain that RU has reached out to Greg, especially with the mounting pressure from the fanbase and top boosters on bringing Schiano back home to coach. As I said on Thursday in this thread, Hobbs obviously knows all this and knows he's on thin ice with how he's horribly mishandled football since he came here and knows he has to make a good hire.

What I don't know and what I'm guessing nobody knows is whether the pressure to hire Greg is strong enough to force Hobbs to do just that. A lot probably depends on who else Hobbs can say is interested for what we can afford and whether the folks that matter think those choices are as good or better than Greg for RU, at this time.

One name I have heard that RU is interested in that I don't see talked about much is Bret Bielema, who had a stellar career at Wisconsin (68-24/37-19 and 7 straight bowls, including 3 Rose Bowls), but a mediocre stint at Arkansas (29-34/11-29 and 3 bowls in 5 years). He's currently the DL coach with the Patriots and presumably available. Would be one of the few hires I could live with over Schiano.

Last edited:
I didn't ask that question, as I don't like regularly "pumping" my friends/sources for info, as I'm pretty sure they would be annoyed by that (and might not provide any info in the future). I was more than happy enough to know from the Schiano source that Greg is interested and more than happy to know from my AD/RU source that RU is interested in Schiano (and others, obviously). And I'm not about to BS people and say I've heard something specific that I didn't hear (which is easy to do and many around here do that).

Knowing those two things, you can be certain that RU has reached out to Greg, especially with the mounting pressure from the fanbase and top boosters on bringing Schiano back home to coach. As I said on Thursday in this thread, Hobbs obviously knows all this and knows he's on thin ice with how he's horribly mishandled football since he came here and knows he has to make a good hire.

What I don't know and what I'm guessing nobody knows is whether the pressure to hire Greg is strong enough to force Hobbs to do just that. A lot probably depends on who else Hobbs can say is interested for what we can afford and whether the folks that matter think those choices are as good or better than Greg for RU, at this time.

One name I have heard that RU is interested int that I don't see talked about much is Bret Bielema, who had a stellar career at Wisconsin (68-24/37-19 and 7 straight bowls, including 3 Rose Bowls), but a mediocre stint at Arkansas (29-34/11-29 and 3 bowls in 5 years). He's currently the DL coach with the Patriots and presumably available. Would be one of the few hires I could live with over Schiano.
You think Bielema is leaving the Pats before the Super Bowl = doubtful ==
Its a name that definitely is a good one though (if we go elsewhere)

All in with the Schiano hiring. But that defense Hafley is running in Ohio should be acknowledged. The guy can obviously recruit.....
If you're going to roll the dice, throw the Hafley dice.

Reactions: LC-88
You think Bielema is leaving the Pats before the Super Bowl = doubtful ==
Its a name that definitely is a good one though (if we go elsewhere)

Actually, I have no idea if he'd be interested, since I have no clue what his contract says, especially since Arkansas has been paying him $320K/month as part of his $11.8 MM contract buyout, since late 2017 when he was fired. Interestingly, Arkansas has reportedly stopped paying that amount, since a stipulation of the buyout was that Bielema had to try to find another job and it's not clear what NE is paying him. Issue could go to court. However, a B1G head coaching position is certainly much more desirable, financially, than DL coach in the NFL, which typically make in the $500K per year range (and probably don't have buyouts).

https://footballscoop.com/news/arkansas-reportedly-quit-paying-bret-bielemas-buyout/

https://www.wholehogsports.com/news...urce=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

With the high cost of living in NJ compared to other states, $4MM doesn't seem that great comparatively.

One name I have heard that RU is interested in that I don't see talked about much is Bret Bielema, who had a stellar career at Wisconsin (68-24/37-19 and 7 straight bowls, including 3 Rose Bowls), but a mediocre stint at Arkansas (29-34/11-29 and 3 bowls in 5 years). He's currently the DL coach with the Patriots and presumably available. Would be one of the few hires I could live with over Schiano.

I am really not keen on Bielema. His failure/firing at Arkansas was more than just a "bad fit fish out of water in Arkansas." Bielema was unable to recruit at Arkansas after his first year (and they were even having success on the field then). He is too weak as a recruiter to have a good chance of success at Rutgers. Rutgers would not succeed at trying to run a Wisconsin-type program / scheme in my view.

More than happy to root for Arkansas in their court case though.

Reactions: rutgersguy1

I could live with Bielema's wife, but not him, who incidentally is waaay hotter than the photographer at 0:27 left (both Bielema and his wife!). :Laughing

1283631.jpg

3114471.jpg

With the high cost of living in NJ compared to other states, $4MM doesn't seem that great comparatively.
That's not correct. Top income tax rate in NJ much lower than California and other states. Once you get over the cost of housing and property taxes, you are only talking about $50,000/year in extra living expenses in NJ. And when you are making $4 million/year, that is nothing. And in NJ, you can send your kids to the excellent public schools. In many college football locales, you have to spend on private schools for kids.

Can we get @mildone in here too?
I haven't seen this 0:27 so I cannot comment about her. I feel people should post a photo or video or link to Pornhub or something. If Jennefer Hielsberg, or Bielema, or whatever she calls herself, needs to be given a tour of the RU "facilities", I'd be happy to irresponsibly handle that responsibility.

Well, whomever is hired does have more to work with than the Shea years. While we are bereft of quality O Line players there IS talent on the roster elsewhere... it may not be two deep in spots but our running back stable even without Blackshear isn’t bad...we have some talent on defense in spots and I wouldn’t trade our punter for ANYONE in college football!

That’s the biggest issue I’m having with some posters assertions with our talent, or perceived lack thereof.

Please resume the regularly scheduled Greg scrum...

Reactions: MYHATINTHERING
Well, whomever is hired does have more to work with than the Shea years. While we are bereft of quality O Line players there IS talent on the roster elsewhere... it may not be two deep in spots but our running back stable even without Blackshear isn’t bad...we have some talent on defense in spots and I wouldn’t trade our punter for ANYONE in college football!

That’s the biggest issue I’m having with some posters assertions with our talent, or perceived lack thereof.

Please resume the regularly scheduled Greg scrum...

There are definitely some talented pieces in places, but without strong lines to pull it all together, it's just disparate pieces. There is also more talent right now than what Shea left in 2000, but the strength of schedule also runs much deeper than just 1-2 top programs.

Reactions: RUHouston
Sorry, my friend, I think you need an intervention. 0:27 is way younger/hotter than Mrs. B. We may need @e5fdny to weigh in here. :>)
I did not have binoculars but my spidey sense kicked in after being honed as a young fireman in the City. You feel them before you even see them. And that’s what happened here. Something told me to look down on the sideline and there she was. Lookin’ good!

Well, last week's developments regarding Hobbs and tonight's developments make it clear that everything I've been saying is at least plausible and it's now looking quite likely that the best coach we've ever had will be back soon on the Banks. Been posting there's mutual interest since about August and have heard Greg was interested months before that. My source on Greg hasn't been wrong in 20 years, including turning down the Miami and UM offers (as I've said before, he's seriously best friends with Greg).

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...ano-before-end-of-season.174229/#post-4030305

My source on Rutgers's interest is not infallible, but it seems like he's been right, too. He was also hinting Hobbs was on thin ice before the softball stuff (football incompetence, mostly), but wouldn't go so far as to say he was going to be canned. Haven't followed up on that and don't much care, since the important thing to me is getting Greg back (as I think he's the best candidate for the $$ we're going to be able to spend) and a weakened Hobbs absolutely makes that more likely.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT