ADVERTISEMENT

Another Schiano Thread (yes, there's mutual interest according to my sources)...

Well the one Paterno recommended not to take the job worked out pretty well after he did.

Maybe Hobbs should look for the ones told not to come and forget about the ones recommended [roll]

Was going to say.....Paterno advised Anderson NOT to take the RU job

Here's the goal...

Annual basis... worst case scenario

Beat UMD, Indiana, 3 OOC games, 1 B1G West team
Compete with Mich St, PSU, other 2 B1G West
Upset OSU or Mich once in a while

7-5. Bowling.

Many feel like schiano can get us to that baseline. And that baseline is light years ahead of where we are right now. If we want to do better, maybe he's not the guy, but the floor with the other candidates mentioned seem much lower.

7-5 worst case would be fantastic, but I don't see how that is realistic as a baseline. That was about his baseline in the BE (2 of 5 after 2006 were 7-5 before the bowl game, and one much worse). In the BE RU spent more money than the other programs and he was generally out recruiting them as well, and his baseline was 7-5 worst case. We're not outspending, or out recruiting the Big Ten and the schedule will be harder, I can't see 7-5 being his worst case baseline.

So lets say we map this on to our current situation.

We have 4 (currently) ranked teams on our schedule. Based on the above we should, on average, go 1.33-2.66 against them

We have 6 non-Ranked "BCS" teams on our schedule. Removing the ranked teams from the BE and OOC BCS teams above, we should win 55% of these games, so 3.3-2.7

Against Non-BCS FBS teams we should be 85%, or 1.7-0.3.

So, on average, with our current schedule we should expect to go 6.33 - 5.66. So over three years we should go 7-5, 6-6, and 6-6.

Or, if we assume something like a 2 Win/Loss standard deviation, in a three year span we could expected to go something like 4-8, 6-6, 9-3 (depending on where we are at in the "rebuild" cycle from a talent POV).

Is that the type of three year performance folks would be happy with?

Did a little more pure-fantasy data analysis using masseyratings rather than P5 vs. G5, etc.

First I looked at the B1G conference to find the average massey rankings for the last 4 years.

East
3.8 - Ohio State
15.8 - Michigan
21.3 - Penn State
37.5 - Michigan State
64.5 - Indiana
72.3 - Maryland
106.8 - Rutgers

West
15.3 - Wisconsin
22.0 - Iowa
25.0 - Northwestern
49.0 - Minnesota
51.5 - Nebraska
76.0 - Purdue
87.8 - Illinois

I then looked at Schiano's record from 2005-2011, pulling the massey ranking of each opponent for the year we played them:

01-20: 1-6 (14%)
21-40: 5-12 (29%)
41-60: 10-9 (53%)
61-80: 11-3 (79%)
81-100: 12-1 (92%)
101+: 10-2 (83%)
FCS: 8-0 (100%)

I then looked at our actual schedule and results over the last 4 years:
01-20: 0-14 (0%)
21-40: 1-8 (11%)
41-60: 0-3 (0%)
61-80: 4-6 (40%)
81-100: 1-4 (20%)
100+: 2-2 (50%)
FCS: 3-0 (100%)

An established Schiano team (comparing his 2005-11 percentages vs. our 2015-18 schedule difficulty) may have managed 25.1 wins against that schedule (instead of the 11 we saw)... which would have been an average of 6.3 wins per season (right in line with your thumbnail estimates above @TonyLieske)

RUChoppin said:
To paraphrase Pat Summitt, administrations that start listening to fans often wind up sitting next to them.
Which, interestingly enough, applies to Rutgers with fans demanding a return of Schiano.
But they will be out of a job too if they don't make the biog boosters feel their input is being considered.
Seems like the fans in stands declining doesn't match how scared the administrators feel when major donors voice complaints and threaten to stop donating unless change happens.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
It doesn't speak to my assertion one way or the other. The question is not whether there was an outcry, clearly there was although it wasn't all that huge. The quesiton is whether it was an excuse for not hiring a second tier coach when they wanted John Gruden or Dan Mullen. Show me evidence that the actual football fans at Tennessee really wanted Schiano, but the Tennessee 1000 types shouted it down and you'll have a stronger case. I follow Tennessee and the real football fans were massively upset with the announcement of his hiring.

Reactions: RUaMoose
Did a little more pure-fantasy data analysis using masseyratings rather than P5 vs. G5, etc.

First I looked at the B1G conference to find the average massey rankings for the last 4 years.

East
3.8 - Ohio State
15.8 - Michigan
21.3 - Penn State
37.5 - Michigan State
64.5 - Indiana
72.3 - Maryland
106.8 - Rutgers

West
15.3 - Wisconsin
22.0 - Iowa
25.0 - Northwestern
49.0 - Minnesota
51.5 - Nebraska
76.0 - Purdue
87.8 - Illinois

I then looked at Schiano's record from 2005-2011, pulling the massey ranking of each opponent for the year we played them:

An established Schiano team (comparing his 2005-11 percentages vs. our 2015-18 schedule difficulty) may have managed 25.1 wins against that schedule (instead of the 11 we saw)... which would have been an average of 6.3 wins per season (right in line with your thumbnail estimates above @TonyLieske)
Good work and that is recruiting into a flailing big east conference

RUChoppin said:
To paraphrase Pat Summitt, administrations that start listening to fans often wind up sitting next to them.

But they will be out of a job too if they don't make the biog boosters feel their input is being considered.
Seems like the fans in stands declining doesn't match how scared the administrators feel when major donors voice complaints and threaten to stop donating unless change happens.

Which brings us back to Tennessee and the fact they too ultimately did not hire him as a head coach. Do you really think just the fan base is the reason he wasn't hired or do you think lots of big donors also complained? In the end, he's been hired as a DC not as a HC. Other people are not as impressed by 7 and 5 seasons as many of our fans are.

I'll dig up another interview with Schiano who addressed that he was was changing is approach.
The really stupid point is that Schiano ran practices. Laughable!! He worked for Urban Meyer. Urban Meyer told Schiano what to do.

Urban Meyer is the ultimate micromanager. Doubt his DC was stepping out too far.

Tennesses was dumb as hell for bowing to the feux outrage from their fans. Now they are still stuck in quicksand.

I know my opinion means nothing here but he at Rutgers at least will get you a buzz that rallies the recruiting quickly.

Which brings us back to Tennessee and the fact they too ultimately did not hire him as a head coach. Do you really think just the fan base is the reason he wasn't hired or do you think lots of big donors also complained? In the end, he's been hired as a DC not as a HC. Other people are not as impressed by 7 and 5 seasons as many of our fans are.

Greg Schiano’s biggest sin was that he wasn’t John Gruden whom Vol Fans and donors thought they were getting. so you could understand Their disappointment.

There will be a similar type reaction if Hobbs tries to ram through Lance Leipold, because the fanbase is fixated on Schiano.

Reactions: RUbacker
it was reported donors complained because of his ties to Penn St and some because they felt Tenn could get a better HC.
politicians in Tenn were up in arms with the AD
hiring someone connected to Penn State and mentioned as possibly knowing about what Sandusky was doing.
Most of them didn't give a damm about coaching prowess, just being connected to Penn St was enough for them not to want Schiano hired.

Most arent impressed with Schiano's record except for one season and even that didn't turn out as good as it should have been.
But were impressed with the type of program he made from what he had to work with when he first was hired and the singled minded purpose he possessed in his effort to make RU FB a respected program in the eyes of college football fans from the joke it was before he took control of its destiny.

Last edited:
Reactions: MYHATINTHERING
Something I don’t see mentioned often is capitalizing on the connection to Schiano era alums. They are mostly early-mid 30’s so still at the age where they will get stoked about the program, get involved and rally. If too many years go by, life gets more complicated and people start settling into other things.

Not celebrating those players as they exited pro football ranks was a big miss by Hobbs and Ash. They didn’t have any sense for how special those years were.

I would also love to see some football alums be given opportunities to get involved as coaches - obviously there are several with both NFL pedigree who are doing it and/or expressed interest (Stapleton, Underwood, Brackett?)

Here's the goal...

Annual basis... worst case scenario

Beat UMD, Indiana, 3 OOC games, 1 B1G West team
Compete with Mich St, PSU, other 2 B1G West
Upset OSU or Mich once in a while

7-5. Bowling.

Many feel like schiano can get us to that baseline. And that baseline is light years ahead of where we are right now. If we want to do better, maybe he's not the guy, but the floor with the other candidates mentioned seem much lower.

7-5, thankfully, is not Hobbs’ goal.

Complete guess that fits your narrative sir.
Not a guess at all, Zap. I follow Tennessee football. Their fan board went ballistic the minute Schiano was announced. They thought they deserved Gruden, Patterson, Frost, Franklin, or Mullen, or somebody of that calibre. Greg did not fit the bill. They think they are an elite program. They were 20 years ago, but no more. Go to the Tennessee fan board, Vol Nation, and you will see that they didn't want him when the possibilities were being thrown around, and they went ballistic when he was announced.

He was a kind of Ray Rice/Colin Kaeprnick sort of thing. Not good enough to take the baggage (even if the baggage was false in his case).

I've said I'm OK with a GS hire. I want us to look around, but if it is Greg, I'll be behind it 100%. He brings an awful lot of positives to the table. I have concerns about him, but hell, we aren't getting Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, or Bill Belichek.

Hey, on another note, just finished reading your passage about your Dad and Steinbrenner when he fired him. I didn't think I could have any more respect for your dad than I already did, but I do now. You did a great job on this book!

I posted a couple of months ago about there being mutual interest between Rutgers and Schiano, should Ash falter further and be fired. Nothing with respect to that statement has changed, as there's still strong mutual interest between Rutgers and Schiano, according to my sources. Doesn't mean he'll be hired, but he's absolutely a candidate.

With regard to Greg's interest, the source I've used over the past ~20 years has confirmed that Greg is quite interested in the position. Like any source, it's possible his info is wrong (even though it's first hand, but maybe Greg is just being cagey), but this source is very good friends with Greg from way back in their playing days together at Bucknell and was right when it came to Greg turning down Miami and Michigan.

Another source tells me several of RU's big boosters are pro-Schiano guys, which is no surprise to many who know these boosters. What I don't know is what Hobbs thinks. I can only hope that these boosters are able to convince him that Greg is the best choice - unless Hobbs pulls a rabbit out of the hat and is able to afford bringing in a gamechanger as head coach.

I wasn't intending to rehash my thoughts on why I think Greg is a top choice, but I will repost a few high level points on that (which I just said in another thread on Greg).

Most intelligent people will look at Greg's record and evaluate his 2005-2011 run, after rebuilding the program from the abyss (arguably a worse one than we're in now, since we had no program/facilities, like we do now), where we went 56-33/25-24 and won 5 of 6 bowl games played in 7 years. Including one magical season where we finished #12 in the country and one tragic one, where we went 4-8.

No, we didn't win a BE championship or beat WVU, but we were always in the hunt (in a BE that had slightly better Sagarin ratings than the B1G back then, over those years), but Greg built a good to very good program where there was nothing before, primarily due to his attention to detail, passion, recruiting prowess and ability to spot and develop underappreciated talent. His accomplishments were directly responsible for us getting the new stadium, better facilities, achieving a great APR, and eventually getting the B1G invite.

Lastly, I also think that many of the criticisms of Schiano (control freak, inability to delegate, overly harsh/demanding, etc.) have some validity and Schiano actually agreed with much of the criticism in the Thamel article in SI that came out after Schiano was fired from TB. In that article Schiano really showed some great self-assessment and introspection in sharing some of the things he didn't do well at in the NFL and in college and how his next head coaching gig would incorporate some changes, including a bunch of things he observed in his year after TB, visiting other teams.

Many of the things he discussed, if Greg addresses them as well as he articulated them, would likely address the concerns many have, IMO. Plus, he doesn't have to build the foundation of a program any more (facilities, stadium and academic support are all in place, although obviously facilities can't remain stagnant) and should be able to focus on recruiting and coaching talent.

The one thing I do wonder about is whether anyone has done an assessment of how much he changed his approach at OSU or if that isn't really a valid thing to assess, since he wasn't the head coach and had to defer to Meyer in many things. If we could truly have a "new and improved" Schiano, who was a bit less of an overly demanding micromanager (including actually trusting an OC), who also gave more freedom to his players and wasn't a jerk to people in the athletic department (and even NFL scouts), while still retaining his passion for recruiting, discipline and coaching/developing talent, then I think he'd very likely be the best choice.

Even getting the old Greg back might still be the best choice amongst the candidates we hear about, but I love the idea of a better version of Schiano. Perhaps we can do better than Greg, but we're more likely to do worse with most of the names being bandied about and I'd rather go with what we know than an unknown (unless we're talking crazy good candidates like Meyer, who I assume is not interested). We'll see, I guess.

https://www.si.com/2014/11/04/nfl-greg-schiano-year-off

Just revisiting this thread. Clearly, since I posted this, lots of "proof" from the media and other threads confirming that there is mutual interest (and still is, according to my sources) and my slightly educated guess is that if Hobbs wants to keep his job, we'll see Greg back on the Banks sometime soon (barring some surprise "home run" hire). It's always possible this doesn't happen (I'm not an absolutist), but it's looking more likely than not.

Please let it be the case. All the folks I talk to in South Carolina who actually know that Rutgers exists will tell me they had such a good program when Schiano was around.

Reactions: 50 yd line RR
I posted a couple of months ago about there being mutual interest between Rutgers and Schiano, should Ash falter further and be fired. Nothing with respect to that statement has changed, as there's still strong mutual interest between Rutgers and Schiano, according to my sources. Doesn't mean he'll be hired, but he's absolutely a candidate.

With regard to Greg's interest, the source I've used over the past ~20 years has confirmed that Greg is quite interested in the position. Like any source, it's possible his info is wrong (even though it's first hand, but maybe Greg is just being cagey), but this source is very good friends with Greg from way back in their playing days together at Bucknell and was right when it came to Greg turning down Miami and Michigan.

Another source tells me several of RU's big boosters are pro-Schiano guys, which is no surprise to many who know these boosters. What I don't know is what Hobbs thinks. I can only hope that these boosters are able to convince him that Greg is the best choice - unless Hobbs pulls a rabbit out of the hat and is able to afford bringing in a gamechanger as head coach.

I wasn't intending to rehash my thoughts on why I think Greg is a top choice, but I will repost a few high level points on that (which I just said in another thread on Greg).

Most intelligent people will look at Greg's record and evaluate his 2005-2011 run, after rebuilding the program from the abyss (arguably a worse one than we're in now, since we had no program/facilities, like we do now), where we went 56-33/25-24 and won 5 of 6 bowl games played in 7 years. Including one magical season where we finished #12 in the country and one tragic one, where we went 4-8.

No, we didn't win a BE championship or beat WVU, but we were always in the hunt (in a BE that had slightly better Sagarin ratings than the B1G back then, over those years), but Greg built a good to very good program where there was nothing before, primarily due to his attention to detail, passion, recruiting prowess and ability to spot and develop underappreciated talent. His accomplishments were directly responsible for us getting the new stadium, better facilities, achieving a great APR, and eventually getting the B1G invite.

Lastly, I also think that many of the criticisms of Schiano (control freak, inability to delegate, overly harsh/demanding, etc.) have some validity and Schiano actually agreed with much of the criticism in the Thamel article in SI that came out after Schiano was fired from TB. In that article Schiano really showed some great self-assessment and introspection in sharing some of the things he didn't do well at in the NFL and in college and how his next head coaching gig would incorporate some changes, including a bunch of things he observed in his year after TB, visiting other teams.

Many of the things he discussed, if Greg addresses them as well as he articulated them, would likely address the concerns many have, IMO. Plus, he doesn't have to build the foundation of a program any more (facilities, stadium and academic support are all in place, although obviously facilities can't remain stagnant) and should be able to focus on recruiting and coaching talent.

The one thing I do wonder about is whether anyone has done an assessment of how much he changed his approach at OSU or if that isn't really a valid thing to assess, since he wasn't the head coach and had to defer to Meyer in many things. If we could truly have a "new and improved" Schiano, who was a bit less of an overly demanding micromanager (including actually trusting an OC), who also gave more freedom to his players and wasn't a jerk to people in the athletic department (and even NFL scouts), while still retaining his passion for recruiting, discipline and coaching/developing talent, then I think he'd very likely be the best choice.

Even getting the old Greg back might still be the best choice amongst the candidates we hear about, but I love the idea of a better version of Schiano. Perhaps we can do better than Greg, but we're more likely to do worse with most of the names being bandied about and I'd rather go with what we know than an unknown (unless we're talking crazy good candidates like Meyer, who I assume is not interested). We'll see, I guess.

https://www.si.com/2014/11/04/nfl-greg-schiano-year-off

Just revisiting this thread. Clearly, since I posted this, lots of "proof" from the media and other threads confirming that there is mutual interest (and still is, according to my sources) and my slightly educated guess is that if Hobbs wants to keep his job, we'll see Greg back on the Banks sometime soon (barring some surprise "home run" hire). It's always possible this doesn't happen (I'm not an absolutist), but it's looking more likely than not.
That may not end well for Rutgers in the end unless Schiano can keep his ego in check.

“My sources” tell me that all this speculation is tantamount to pointless nothing...oh wait, it’s a fan forum...

...never mind, pointless musings implied and expected![roll]

East
3.8 - Ohio State
15.8 - Michigan
21.3 - Penn State
37.5 - Michigan State
64.5 - Indiana
72.3 - Maryland
106.8 - Rutgers

West
15.3 - Wisconsin
22.0 - Iowa
25.0 - Northwestern
49.0 - Minnesota
51.5 - Nebraska
76.0 - Purdue
87.8 - Illinois

Well done sir!

One would have to think Greg would be able to recruit quite well here now that we are in the BIG and have much better facilities than 10 years ago. All he has to do is point to how many of his former players that are playing at a high level. These were not 5 star HS recruits, he helped make them better.

East
3.8 - Ohio State
15.8 - Michigan
21.3 - Penn State
37.5 - Michigan State
64.5 - Indiana
72.3 - Maryland
106.8 - Rutgers

West
15.3 - Wisconsin
22.0 - Iowa
25.0 - Northwestern
49.0 - Minnesota
51.5 - Nebraska
76.0 - Purdue
87.8 - Illinois

I've been saying Greg will get us to 6-8 wins as his "floor," which we'd all take right now (talk of B1G championships is silly, except from a "vision" perspective) and I think that's more realistic if one assumes the B1G East will have a hard time staying as strong as it's been the past 3-4 years. In the 5+ years prior to 2015, there were generally two top 25 teams among the B1G east teams, as opposed to the 3-4 we've seen lately. In a more "normal" B1G East, I think about 7 wins become the mean for wins for Greg. Whether he's the guy to get us beyond that to 8+ wins, regularly, is an open question, but all I know now is I think he's our best realistic bet to get us to competitive (3-5 wins) in 2-3 years and 6-8 wins beyond that.

I've been saying Greg will get us to 6-8 wins as his "floor," which we'd all take right now (talk of B1G championships is silly, except from a "vision" perspective) and I think that's more realistic if one assumes the B1G East will have a hard time staying as strong as it's been the past 3-4 years. In the 5+ years prior to 2015, there were generally two top 25 teams among the B1G east teams, as opposed to the 3-4 we've seen lately. In a more "normal" B1G East, I think about 7 wins become the mean for wins for Greg. Whether he's the guy to get us beyond that to 8+ wins, regularly, is an open question, but all I know now is I think he's our best realistic bet to get us to competitive (3-5 wins) in 2-3 years and 6-8 wins beyond that.

I'd say 6-8 would be the average expectation, not the floor. With as many 5 win seasons as 9 win ones.

With the almighty and all powerful, big brained SCHIANO, the King of coaches, bringer of hope, slayer of nittany lions, father of space/time and master of block kicks, lord of the wild knight, freer of the Rocket, supreme overseer of gridiron. The floor will be 11 wins per season.

I'm for this just to see what he can do with being in the B1G now and the new facilities.
Plus the entrance song will get better...

3e8zia.jpg

GS would be best immediate shot in the arm but long-term he'd hold us back. We need a home run hire whose name carries weight. If Hobbs wants to cement his legacy, he goes for Eisenhower and not Bradley

In that ESPN story linked earlier about the Vols not hiring Schiano.. it said something interesting since many here pitch Butch Jones as our next head coach..

The Volunteers fired Butch Jones on Nov. 12, the day after they lost 50-17 at Missouri to fall to 0-6 in SEC play. He had a 34-27 record in five seasons at Tennessee. The Volunteers lost to Vanderbilt 42-24 to finish 4-8, 0-8 in the SEC, their first eight-loss season in school history and their first winless campaign in the SEC.
Look to the lyrics of Everything's Not Awesome (unofficial Rutgers football 2019 theme song)

Everything's not awesome
Things can't be awesome all of the time
It's an unrealistic expectation
But that doesn't mean we shouldn't try
To make everything awesome
In a less idealistic kind of way
We should maybe aim for not bad
'Cause not bad right now would be real great

Reactions: RUChoppin
GS would be best immediate shot in the arm but long-term he'd hold us back. We need a home run hire whose name carries weight. If Hobbs wants to cement his legacy, he goes for Eisenhower and not Bradley
The Schiano years were great.Every year with little exception, his teams improved. More and more players in the NFL. A growing fan base.Great exposure throughout South Jersey and Nea York City. Better recruits,Great academic progress reports, higher rankings. We were on a roll when he was here.Had he stayed who knows where we would be now.He represented Rutgers and NJ admirably. He was great for the game.
If you want to knock the man, knock him for leaving.
The one thing we can truly measure today from his time here is his players success (on and off the field) and throughout the community.
.He recruited and coached kids the Rutgers community could be proud of.They get it. What fan, Rutgers administrator, state resident, or player wouldn't sign up for that?

Last edited:
numbers never lie and when you parse the numbers, he was average and that is not debatable. We need better, not middle of the road

Woopty-f*ckin' doo.

Yes, he had players drafted. The most of any other Rutgers coach, but certainly not at the top of the NCAA, over that same period.

Also - and I hate to be the one to break this to you - but the metric you've provided is not the measure of "success".

Let's review, shall we?

Greg Schiano was 1 game over .500 during his tenure here.

He skipped out, with no transition plan, for his "dream job" with the (*giggle*) Tampa Bay Buccaneers. A job at which he royally sucked, and from which he was fired.

He landed at OSU (after a fashion), where as *co-DC* he was ostensibly instrumental in OSU's success, however once Chris Ash left OSU and Schiano became solely responsible for the defense he managed to turn the squad into the worst OSU defense in recent history. He was not retained following Urban Meyer's retirement.

And let us not forget that little interim incident with Tennessee.

Or the bizarre announcement of his accepting the position of DC of the New England Patriots, only to "resign" within weeks of the announcement, after one day of camp and without having coached a single down.

If I were to hand you Greg Schiano's resume with the word "Rutgers" redacted, you'd tear it up, set it on fire and piss on it.

Dumbest thing that I have ever read on this board - you know zero

Reactions: shields
numbers never lie and when you parse the numbers, he was average and that is not debatable. We need better, not middle of the road
If you (and all the Schiano detractors) are all about the zero sum numbers. His total record since he arrived. Your absolutely right he was an average coach.
If you look at the total body of work. The way he elevated the program and the perception of not only the team but the whole University.If you look where we were when he arrived and where we were when he left? His success is undeniable!! If you look at all the examples I cited in my last post, how many coaches could come here and do what he did?
He got it done and he did it with class. Don’t believe me ask his players. Ask Bob Mulcahy ,ask
NJ legislatures who didn’t want to see him leave.
Ask any knowledgeable fan. Ask the donors big and small.
It amazes me that so many people on this board don’t recognize that.
“It’s all a process”.
But
“It’s R Time”!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT