ADVERTISEMENT

Anthony Ash becomes Asst Coach at Princeton

RC1978

All American
Gold Member
Feb 11, 2008
Can you insiders please explain what happened with the relationship with AA and RU, Not sure it was anything or just business but not a good look.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
Can you insiders please explain what happened with the relationship with AA and RU, Not sure it was anything or just business but not a good look.

I'll just add my reply from the other thread...

As alums and fans, we all want the fairytale ending, but the world rarely works that way. I don't want to see AA in rival Princeton gear, but this is a business, so I understand and don't begrudge anyone. These guys want varied experiences and opportunities to learn from different coaches, so they can grow and build a strong resume. Just look around the country at where everyone is coaching/training and has coached/trained in their careers.

Cael left his alma mater, ISU, after 6 years (2003-09) for PSU. Koll just returned to his alma mater, UNC, after decades at Cornell (1989-2021) and then a short time at Stanford (2021-23), and grew up in State College where his dad coached at PSU. Ayres left his alma mater, Lehigh, after 6 years for Princeton (17 years) and now Stanford (yr 2). More recently, Glory is starting his coaching career at NYU. The list goes on and on.

There aren't many John Smith stories where you coach at your alma mater forever, and OKST passed on hiring their own alum, Coleman Scott, for DT.

Now, when Princeton visits the RAC in 2 years, I hope we play this video 😄:

I hope AA returns to coach for Rutgers one day.

There's no way to spin this as anything but bad IMO. Going to an in state rival is a slap in the face to RU. He could've went to somewhere like Cornell or Lehigh and no one would've cared.

What a slap in the face to Rutgers and Goodale. It’s a shame we can’t keep the best wrestler we’ve had affiliated with the program. It’s a bad look.

Congratulations to Anthony Ashnault on being named an Assistant Wrestling Coach at Princeton. Anthony's remarkable achievements as an undefeated National Champion and four-time All-American wrestler made history at Rutgers! His dedication and hard work truly put Rutgers wrestling on the map and served as an example for others to emulate. Your success not only brought pride to Rutgers but has also inspired countless aspiring athletes.

As you embark on this exciting new chapter in your career, taking on a coaching role at Princeton, I wish you all the best. Your experience and expertise will undoubtedly make a significant impact on your new team, and I have no doubt that you will continue to achieve greatness in this new role.

Thank you for all that you have done for Rutgers and here's to continued success and new milestones in your coaching career! I will be forever grateful for what you have done for Rutgers University.

Last edited:
Whatever the reason or whomever you'd rather have as a coach, the optics of this are just not good. Local and Rutgers legend goes to crosstown rival.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
Classy response to a situation for which I have great difficulty in feeling any enthusiasm at all. Glad to see RU taking the high road here. Would still like to see AA back at RU sometime in the future. Go RU.
Agreed, doesn't hurt for him to go coach w Dubuque and develop as a coach! Hopefully he finds his way back to the rut after some time honing his craft.

It's good news for the sport when local champions like Ashnault decide to go the coaching route and the long career climb that follows. I'm also watching Kellen Russell at Cornell. He seems to be making great strides in his coaching career. At some point in any field, the old guard moves on and the next group takes over. Stayed tuned on both of these men. $$$$

It's good news for the sport when local champions like Ashnault decide to go the coaching route and the long career climb that follows. I'm also watching Kellen Russell at Cornell. He seems to be making great strides in his coaching career. At some point in any field, the old guard moves on and the next group takes over. Stayed tuned on both of these men. $$$$
Now that would be the start of an awesome coaching staff. Russell a two time national champ who was coached by Pritzlaff at Michigan and Buxton at Blair. Plus Ashnault who took a big risk when coming to RU and was undefeated winning a the national title. In the eyes of the wrestling community it would be a major upgrade. We would have three national champs on staff with 5 combined titles. Would have a major impact on recruiting and development. One can only dream.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Leonard23
It will be a long time if ever before Princeton beats Rutgers again on the mat in Dual meet...They are our little brothers along with Rider...Rutgers under Goodale is 14-1 against Princeton and 25-1 in last 26 ( that's not a Rivalry that's another Win on schedule) ...Ashnault is a Great hire for them and after RU, I cheer for Princeton and Rider

Last edited:
Reactions: rubigtimenow
Same could be said for David Taylor, Thomas Gilman and many other wrestlers.
Most wrestlers who go to ivy leagues, never seriously consider RU.
I would like AA to be at RU, but in the end, he has to do what is right for him.
You do realize PSU has a room jam packed with national and world level all-stars? There are only so many opportunities for them within PSU or their respective colleges. Rutgers doesnt have that problem so it's hard to compare with PSU and Iowa. Yet there was no room at the Rutgers Inn for him? Our insiders here have been very quiet on the RU/AA relationship over the past year for two...very quiet. Now he's at Princeton. You are right, AA has to do what's right for him, but there is an awful lot to read between the lines here, at least for me and a bunch of others.

Our recruiting competition isn't really with Princeton. VT, NCST, and the rest of the Big 10 minus PSU and Iowa though. IMO
Who is it with then? We're not in competition with psu and Iowa, we just get who they don't want or have room for.

Who is it with then? We're not in competition with psu and Iowa, we just get who they don't want or have room for.
The ACC and the Big 10 not including Penn State and Iowa. Also better teams nearby like Lock Haven and Lehigh.

The ACC and the Big 10 not including Penn State and Iowa. Also better teams nearby like Lock Haven and Lehigh.
He just said our recruiting competition isn't really VT/NC ST. or the rest of the B1G minus psu and Iowa. That's what and who I was replying to, but you replied to my post as if I didn't know. Your post is a direct rebuttal of @elvis7 post.

Our recruiting competition isn't really with Princeton. VT, NCST, and the rest of the Big 10 minus PSU and Iowa though. IMO
Dean Peterson says, "what about me???"
He just said our recruiting competition isn't really VT/NC ST. or the rest of the B1G minus psu and Iowa. That's what and who I was replying to, but you replied to my post as if I didn't know. Your post is a direct rebuttal of @elvis7 post.
It read a little funny, but he said those are who we are recruiting against, "VT, NCST, and the rest of the Big 10 minus PSU and Iowa though. IMO"

Reactions: koleszar
No. He said that we are in competition with "VT, NCST, and the rest of the Big 10 minus PSU and Iowa though."

Go back and re-read his post. There is a period after "Princeton".

I think you misread what he said

Reactions: koleszar
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT