ADVERTISEMENT

Any old timers remember Dick Anderson

PSUPride1

Redshirt
Apr 24, 2003
I know he coached at Rutgers in the 80s. I'm assuming he was fired. Read he was 28-33 and did beat Penn State in 88.
Anyway, my father went to Rutgers and I'm a Penn State guy but I take no joy in seeing my dad disgusted. Too much talent in NJ for Rutgers to struggle so much.
Problem for all programs is you need a guy who is a great recruiter and coach. I think it's very, very hard to find both. And then you need elite assistants but top assistants are getting ridiculous money anymore.
And then there's the arm's race and if you don't have a guy like Phil Knight it's hard to build the palaces for the recruits to hang out in.
Anyway, good luck the rest of the way.

PSUPride, you mentioned it. Money, getting half the money does not cut it. And getting good assistant coaches with the money.

Reactions: PSUPride1
Anderson was a good coach, but his downfall was recruiting. Some say that he believed that recruits would just come to him because of his Penn State pedigree. He was known as a nice guy. The funniest Anderson story was that we beat Syracuse, and the Syracuse coach accused Anderson of getting info from Paterno (who beat them earlier in the season). The Syracuse coach said something like “I know he wears blue underwear under that suit.” Like Paterno, Anderson wore a suit and tie when he was coaching.

Scarlet Jerry

He was not a bad coach at all. Little too intimidated or differential to Joe Pa and PSU. Not a great recruiter but knew what he was doing, seemed to be a decent guy and ran a clean program. The PSU upset win right up there with Louisville. As time goes by after Ash and Shea appreciate him more and more. Combine him and Graber and you got = Schiano.

Reactions: Abro1975
Cute story about Anderson told me by a prof at Cook while I was taking a grad class. Seems Anderson, when he came here from PSU, wanted the same turf on the field that PSU had. He, the AD, and several other admins went to PSU for a meeting only to find out that their turf was developed for them at Cook College.

PSUPride, you mentioned it. Money, getting half the money does not cut it. And getting good assistant coaches with the money.
Yep. Think college football needs a salary cap because the spending is out of control. And if a university doesn't fully invest in being great then the program has zero chance.

Anderson was a good coach, but his downfall was recruiting. Some say that he believed that recruits would just come to him because of his Penn State pedigree. He was known as a nice guy. The funniest Anderson story was that we beat Syracuse, and the Syracuse coach accused Anderson of getting info from Paterno (who beat them earlier in the season). The Syracuse coach said something like “I know he wears blue underwear under that suit.” Like Paterno, Anderson wore a suit and tie when he was coaching.

Scarlet Jerry
Stupid comment by the Syracuse coach. I mean of course coaches who are friends will share information.

He was not a bad coach at all. Little too intimidated or differential to Joe Pa and PSU. Not a great recruiter but knew what he was doing, seemed to be a decent guy and ran a clean program. The PSU upset win right up there with Louisville. As time goes by after Ash and Shea appreciate him more and more. Combine him and Graber and you got = Schiano.
Thanks for the insight.

Reactions: G- RUnit
I know he coached at Rutgers in the 80s. I'm assuming he was fired. Read he was 28-33 and did beat Penn State in 88.
Anyway, my father went to Rutgers and I'm a Penn State guy but I take no joy in seeing my dad disgusted. Too much talent in NJ for Rutgers to struggle so much.
Problem for all programs is you need a guy who is a great recruiter and coach. I think it's very, very hard to find both. And then you need elite assistants but top assistants are getting ridiculous money anymore.
And then there's the arm's race and if you don't have a guy like Phil Knight it's hard to build the palaces for the recruits to hang out in.

I was an undergrad during this time and not only did we beat Penn State that year but Michigan State as well if I recall correctly. It was very exciting and even though we weren't big time it didn't matter to us then. We actually played some good games against tough competition and hey you never know. We are not close even to that now.

Cute story about Anderson told me by a prof at Cook while I was taking a grad class. Seems Anderson, when he came here from PSU, wanted the same turf on the field that PSU had. He, the AD, and several other admins went to PSU for a meeting only to find out that their turf was developed for them at Cook College.

Is that true? My god, typical rutgers!

Is that true? My god, typical rutgers!

I was taking a graduate seminar back in either '90 or '91 and the class was on the Cook Campus. I do not recall the circumstances that led to the prof telling the story (it was quite a while ago and I am old) but I remember the story clearly. So, what is true is that the prof told the group the story. I can only assume the story itself was true.

Reactions: Plum Street
Defense was pretty darn good - offense not so much. Got fired because he was not showing enough progress especially on the recruiting front. He turned out to be a life time assistant - not a bad thing just did not have the charisma to take a team like RU to bigger things.

Glad the OP brought this up - even years ago we had leadership who knew when to cut bait - Ash is far far worse. We will find out soon.

I graduated right when he came in, so I remember him well. Its funny reading the comments above, my memory was that everyone thought he wasn't any good. We lost to PSU every time except for that one time, and a lot of other not so good teams too. His teams got progressively worse and worse. In fact his best year was his first year (so not his recruits). Everyone wanted him gone by 1988

Best year was with burns team... could frank have turned it around if he was given another year ?

Anderson was a good coach but couldn’t recruit the way we need to. Our next coach needs to have charisma and passion, be a proven winner, and understands the Jersey vibe. We all know who fits the bill. Now we gotta get him.

Why is the OP calling us old??

He beat Penn State. The only HC to do so. I thank him for that. Players liked his staff. But a bad fit. Nice guy, kind of dull at times. Not a bad hire. Rutgers wasn't committed to Athletics

If I recall correctly Darren Cellez (sp) said something to the effect in Dick’s last season if you were looking for someone to motivate you, he wasn’t the guy.

recommended by joe pa

Do you and your dad talk about CFB much, or is it just a sore subject?

Do you and your dad talk about CFB much, or is it just a sore subject?
No, we definitely talk about it. My dad and I are on the same page relative to cfb, and life in general as I guess most father and sons are. He was a coach as was I so we used to really dissect what's going on.
He's up there now in age and he doesn't watch the games like he used to so that's been a change. As you folks have discussed this shit starts to take its toll on one and so you have to be careful to not let it affect your life and health.

If I recall correctly Darren Cellez (sp) said something to the effect in Dick’s last season if you were looking for someone to motivate you, he wasn’t the guy.
I believe that. He used to recruit my home area in Northeastern, PA and he was very dry. Good guy but not dynamic.

Why is the OP calling us old??...He beat Penn State. The only HC to do so. I thank him for that.

Not so fast.

Rutgers Head Coach: Foster Sanford
November 9, 1918
Rutgers 26 Penn State 3
State College, PA New Beaver Field
Attendance: 5,000

The oldest game with a future Big Ten rival is November 9, 1918. Rutgers defeated Penn State 26-3 at New Beaver Field. Next is Northwestern in a 28-0 Rutgers shutout on November 22, 1919 at Harrison Park in Harrison. Rutgers then shut out Maryland 6-0 on October 2, 1920 on Neilson Field.

No, we definitely talk about it. My dad and I are on the same page relative to cfb, and life in general as I guess most father and sons are. He was a coach as was I so we used to really dissect what's going on.
He's up there now in age and he doesn't watch the games like he used to so that's been a change. As you folks have discussed this shit starts to take its toll on one and so you have to be careful to not let it affect your life and health.

Yep. Good point. Sounds as though you and your dad are very connected, which is always great to hear.

Not so fast.

Rutgers Head Coach: Foster Sanford
November 9, 1918
Rutgers 26 Penn State 3
State College, PA New Beaver Field
Attendance: 5,000

The oldest game with a future Big Ten rival is November 9, 1918. Rutgers defeated Penn State 26-3 at New Beaver Field. Next is Northwestern in a 28-0 Rutgers shutout on November 22, 1919 at Harrison Park in Harrison. Rutgers then shut out Maryland 6-0 on October 2, 1920 on Neilson Field.
Love it. Source always gets it right. And entertaining. Great job as always.

I graduated right when he came in, so I remember him well. Its funny reading the comments above, my memory was that everyone thought he wasn't any good. We lost to PSU every time except for that one time, and a lot of other not so good teams too. His teams got progressively worse and worse. In fact his best year was his first year (so not his recruits). Everyone wanted him gone by 1988

Not sure about '88. I remember all the talk in the papers about how the team was loaded with 5th year seniors going into '89 and the first four of the schedule was favorable with Ball State, Cincinnati and I forget the other two. This was going to be the year !! He tied the first two to start 0-0-2. I was at he BSU game, tied on a last second long FG IIRC.Was also at the PSU game up at Giants Stadium that year. This was the year after we beat them. Cold, windy and surrounded by PSU fans. Lost 20-0 iirc

Last edited:
Stupid comment by the Syracuse coach. I mean of course coaches who are friends will share information.

The Syracuse coach was Dick MacPherson. I remember that his wife was upset by the quote because she always sat next to Dick Anderson's wife during our games.

I was a freshman when we tied Florida 28-28. Anderson always had RU play to the level of our competition. Unfortunately we played a lot of low level competition back then.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT