ADVERTISEMENT

Are we going to be good again next season?

rutpsychbaseball

Freshman
Gold Member
Jan 13, 2021
Do we project to have a good or very good lineup next season. I would like to see us get back to a top season. What is the expected lineup and what do you expect from it. thanks.

In theory

Shawver
Suriano
Rivera
Alvarez/MVB
Kannaird/MVB
Kannaird/Clark
Turley
Poz
Janzer
McDermott

There’s potential for 10 NQs, 5 AAs, and 2 champs in that lineup. I don’t we hit all 3 of those numbers but that’s a pretty good lineup on paper.

Reactions: elvis7
In theory

Shawver
Suriano
Rivera
Alvarez/MVB
Kannaird/MVB
Kannaird/Clark
Turley
Poz
Janzer
McDermott

There’s potential for 10 NQs, 5 AAs, and 2 champs in that lineup. I don’t we hit all 3 of those numbers but that’s a pretty good lineup on paper.
If you look back, you'll see that "next year" was always going to be great... until the first match.

Watched Griffith yesterday.
I like his Length.
He gets "The Bull" today in quarters
Seems like Marinelli has been at Iowa forever,
Remember him pulling RS to face Lewis.

I am a pessimist, but he beats me.

When i was in he Navy the saying was
"just when you thought it could not get any worse, it did"

Thanks. That is what I was thinking . I may have missed it. Is aragona not in your projected lineup because he is gone or just not expected to be the starter?

Do you enjoy being negative about literally everything? I hope you see a therapist because that’s no way to live
No. But I don't like fooling myself. What I said was true, look back. This was going to be a great line-up. And shall I quote Goodale? I prefer being realistic and the reality is that if something doesn't change, the results won't either. I'm hoping the changes Bill mentioned will make a difference. What I point to is what I see. I don't sugar coat and by now everyone should realize I don't respond well to excuses. However, when asked, I have made suggestions; I'm not sure many others have done that.

As for positivity, I have been big on Poz from the beginning. Before the season, I was asking if Turley would be able to take the 174 position. I did expect Aguilar to be better this year and held out hope. I have to wonder why Shawver didn't get to test him earlier. Changes at those two weights may have changed the season results dramatically. This is a competitive sport - the best should be put forward.

Oh, and by the way. I was very impressed with MVB improvements until...

If we get Shane Griffith as a transfer and Suriano comes back will be one of the most deadly teams in the nation. We might even be in title contention.

Reactions: elvis7
If we get Shane Griffith as a transfer and Suriano comes back will be one of the most deadly teams in the nation. We might even be in title contention.

Not sure we compete with Iowa next year.
Depends on who they bring back.
I don't know what Iowa's recruiting class looks like, but I imagine it will be stocked at the lower levels.
Will be hard to replace the current group of seniors if they do not come back.

And Yes we will be good. Remember, IVY league returns next year and Cornell will be stacked.

No. But I don't like fooling myself. What I said was true, look back. This was going to be a great line-up. And shall I quote Goodale? I prefer being realistic and the reality is that if something doesn't change, the results won't either. I'm hoping the changes Bill mentioned will make a difference. What I point to is what I see. I don't sugar coat and by now everyone should realize I don't respond well to excuses. However, when asked, I have made suggestions; I'm not sure many others have done that.

As for positivity, I have been big on Poz from the beginning. Before the season, I was asking if Turley would be able to take the 174 position. I did expect Aguilar to be better this year and held out hope. I have to wonder why Shawver didn't get to test him earlier. Changes at those two weights may have changed the season results dramatically. This is a competitive sport - the best should be put forward.

Oh, and by the way. I was very impressed with MVB improvements until...
You were right. Disappointing year. Only 3 All Americans.

We are going to be really bad next season.
I will take all of your season tickets off your hand.
You will not want to be at the RAC

(PLease include parking passes)

Thanks. That is what I was thinking . I may have missed it. Is aragona not in your projected lineup because he is gone or just not expected to be the starter?
If he’s gotten better he can compete for a spot at 149 or 157, but I don’t think he’ll beat out Alvarez, Kannaird, or MVB for either spot. Angelo is in that mix as well. We’re really deep at those weight classes especially with Alvarez moving up and 3 of those names will still have 3 years of eligibility after this year. It’s going to be tough for Aragona to break the lineup without significant improvement from last year. He has a redshirt available though.

You were right. Disappointing year. Only 3 All Americans.
I'd say it's not unreasonable to be disappointed. Suriano never wrestling, Alvarez not making weight, 0-4 in duals, Seabass losing twice to Lee, still dysfunctional at heavyweight, Aguilar's regression, no tournament or national champions, etc. Were there good things too? Of course. But in total, one could rationally argue the season was disappointing. Next year might be very interesting though...

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof
I'd say it's not unreasonable to be disappointed. Suriano never wrestling, Alvarez not making weight, 0-4 in duals, Seabass losing twice to Lee, still dysfunctional at heavyweight, Aguilar's regression, no tournament or national champions, etc. Were there good things too? Of course. But in total, one could rationally argue the season was disappointing. Next year might be very interesting though...
At least 174 and 184 are solidified though. Only wish we had Turley take over from Grello sooner, and if we get Griffith for 165, that weight will finally not be a question mark or a weak spot for the first time since Perrotti/Richie Lewis graduated.

If he’s gotten better he can compete for a spot at 149 or 157, but I don’t think he’ll beat out Alvarez, Kannaird, or MVB for either spot. Angelo is in that mix as well. We’re really deep at those weight classes especially with Alvarez moving up and 3 of those names will still have 3 years of eligibility after this year. It’s going to be tough for Aragona to break the lineup without significant improvement from last year. He has a redshirt available though.
Thanks what is the issue as someone who is far from an expert I thought he was one of our star recruits with champ/aa potential I know certainly there are highly ranked recruits that dont put it together and have success. He seemed like a potential buzz saw so is it a specific issue or just general improvement needed?

Look back at what our excitement was about at each weight class.

125. Suriano. Took the red shirt. Beyond our control. Aguilar stink, Shawver was a nice surprise late.

133. Alvarez. A month long layoff that was beyond his control messed with his weight. It sucks.

141: Rivera. All American.

149. MVB. Wrestled his ass off all year. 3rd at big 10s. Disappointing NCAA tournament.

157. Kannaird. NCAA screwed him out of being eligible for tournaments. Beyond our control.

165. Donner. We were never going to be good here.

174. Turley. All American as a 26 seed.

184. Poz. All American as a freshman.

197. Janzer. Didn’t wrestle well but still qualified for the tournament.

HWT. Collucci/Boone. Boone showed some flashes in limited action. Collucci wasn’t great but I don’t think anyone expected a ton.

As a team, the dual record sucked but most of the losses came because of one wrestler getting pinned like clockwork. Even though Goodale values duals more than a lot of coaches, even he downplayed their importance this year. There were so many factors that were beyond the teams control. If a disappointing year is one where we’re producing the most AAs in school history, then I hope for more disappointing years moving forward.

Thanks what is the issue as someone who is far from an expert I thought he was one of our star recruits with champ/aa potential I know certainly there are highly ranked recruits that dont put it together and have success. He seemed like a potential buzz saw so is it a specific issue or just general improvement needed?

I think he was a bit overrated coming in. There was a lot of hype after he wrestled a great exhibition one summer against one of the other top recruits in the country (who has also not panned out to this point.)

As a true freshman, he jumped into action when in hindsight he should have red shirted. He had trouble keeping his weight down and seemed to lack energy. He really struggled getting out from bottom and finishing from his feet. He was pretty good on top but didn’t have the strength to turn guys to their back. This year he had covid, may have had an injury, and didn’t wrestle a match but was regarded as a good practice partner for Rivera and MVB. I think he has a future still, just a logjam at his potential weight classes.

So who are our projected weight classes for next year?

125 Shawver (If Suriano comes back, I'll eat my hat but take him)
133 ??
141 Sea Bass
149 Alvarez if he doesn't RS/MVB if he does RS
157 Kannaird
165 Griffith (Fingers crossed)
174 Turley
184 Poz
197 Janzer
HVY Kyonte/Boone if Kyonte RS

So who are our projected weight classes for next year?

125 Shawver (If Suriano comes back, I'll eat my hat but take him)
133 ??
141 Sea Bass
149 Alvarez if he doesn't RS/MVB if he does RS
157 Kannaird
165 Griffith (Fingers crossed)
174 Turley
184 Poz
197 Janzer
HVY Kyonte/Boone if Kyonte RS

Nick Raimo is a name people have thrown out there as a possible transfer.

I don’t think Kyonte starts next year. I’d prefer red shirts, packs on some muscle, and adjusts to the tough dual sport schedule. His father posts here every once in a while. Would like to hear his thoughts on their plans for a possible redshirt in either sport.

Nick Raimo is a name people have thrown out there as a possible transfer.

I don’t think Kyonte starts next year. I’d prefer red shirts, packs on some muscle, and adjusts to the tough dual sport schedule. His father posts here every once in a while. Would like to hear his thoughts on their plans for a possible redshirt in either sport.
I'd be good with Kyonte redshirting and letting Boone go at Heavy. The B1G is a meat grinder at Heavy and I agree 100% with you that Kyonte should RS.

Scarlet
Both and yes you will. Patience
OGC.6d7276be522061c871b32a3fefaf42da

Reactions: SirScarlet
I think he was a bit overrated coming in. There was a lot of hype after he wrestled a great exhibition one summer against one of the other top recruits in the country (who has also not panned out to this point.)

As a true freshman, he jumped into action when in hindsight he should have red shirted. He had trouble keeping his weight down and seemed to lack energy. He really struggled getting out from bottom and finishing from his feet. He was pretty good on top but didn’t have the strength to turn guys to their back. This year he had covid, may have had an injury, and didn’t wrestle a match but was regarded as a good practice partner for Rivera and MVB. I think he has a future still, just a logjam at his potential weight classes.

Didn't he beat Keagan O'Tool at Who's #1?

Let me confirm that yes, it is unreasonable to be disappointed in how this year turned out. No way was I expecting three AAs with two of them being freshman.

This year was pretty close to best case scenario...

Even with those two Rutgers is still a long ways off from national title contention. Rutgers had 37.5 points this year. Even with those two guys it still not going to be even close. Griffith scored 20 pts this year and lets say Suriano scored what the highest scorers did this year (24.5 pts) that would only give Rutgers 82 points. That not even top 3 territory and 31.5 points behind Penn State and 47 points behind Iowa.

Even with those two Rutgers is still a long ways off from national title contention. Rutgers had 37.5 points this year. Even with those two guys it still not going to be even close. Griffith scored 20 pts this year and lets say Suriano scored what the highest scorers did this year (24.5 pts) that would only give Rutgers 82 points. That not even top 3 territory and 31.5 points behind Penn State and 47 points behind Iowa.
82 points would put RU 4th and get the team a trophy, but yeah, still a ways away from Iowa, PSU, and OkSU.

Being the #1 team in the country is such a tough ask. Like 5 teams have won it in the last 30 years and aside from them, there’s about 4 more teams that have one it like once in the last 90 years.

Reactions: koleszar
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT