ADVERTISEMENT

Are we in trouble

I don't understand the need to go into straight self flagellation mode whenever someone gets an offer.

If the players are really good, they are suppose to get a ton of offers non -stop up to and sometimes including signing day.

We will do the same to other players that are committed to other schools as well.

It is called recruiting.

It happens ever single year to every single program in the NCAA.

I have tried to be optimistic but when the cold fish of reality slaps you in the ass you see the light. Lovett. Taylor and more may be gone. Or realistically, were never really here..My concern is that if we have a weak class this year and next year follows suit we will be buried well into the future. This was never going to be a slam dunk but now it is looking bleak. Now it may just be about getting our $$ from the conference and trying to stay above water.Not a troll
Just getting tired.

I have tried to be optimistic but when the cold fish of reality slaps you in the ass you see the light. Lovett. Taylor and more may be gone. Or realistically, were never really here..My concern is that if we have a weak class this year and next year follows suit we will be buried well into the future. This was never going to be a slam dunk but now it is looking bleak. Now it may just be about getting our $$ from the conference and trying to stay above water.Not a troll
Just getting tired.

Maybe step away for a while. I think you're way, way, way off base here buddy. Not sure where you're getting this stuff from right now.

Just getting tired.
---------
there are a couple of pathways to success.... we can get the verbals of very good players, sign them and begin to win....

we can get the verbals of these very good playes, lose a few to the already established teams, replace those players, coach up what we have, and win

the second way might be what we will have to do.... very good coaching with pretty good players can work....but let us hope
we get to keep the quality.

---------
there are a couple of pathways to success.... we can get the verbals of very good players, sign them and begin to win....

we can get the verbals of these very good playes, lose a few to the already established teams, replace those players, coach up what we have, and win

the second way might be what we will have to do.... very good coaching with pretty good players can work....but let us hope
we get to keep the quality.

Or, you get both types, and you coach up as well as maintain, and you win more!

Not true unless you choose to believe many of the committed recruits are being less than honest.....a lot less than honest.
Won't call them liars because they are not and probably plan on keeping their word.
But between now February something might happen to have one or more rethink their commitment and decide RU's isn't their best option for the next four years.
Especially with other programs being able to keep on recruiting them even after they verbaled to RU and might be able to use something to make RU look bad or Rutgers does something on its own that makes the kid or an adviser decide Rutgers isn't a good fit for him

I took it to mean PSU wouldn't offer if he wasn't a high priority and/or the kid wanted to go there
I took it to mean they are striking out on their plan A's and are now offering their plan B's. Why offer so late if your plan A's were coming to fruition.

Reactions: RUinOhio
HeyNuts I am not stepping away And if I did it wouldn't be from a suggestion by you of all people. I am being historically accurate and realistic IMHO I have seen you bash away too..These are 18 year old impressionable sensitive kids and they can do whatever they want. We are,a project right now. A fixer upper .Some may not have the patience to wait when they can move right into a finished product at Wisconsin a Michigan or a penn state Having said that .I hope you are right and I am wrong. I can't wait much longer. The calender will not let me.

Reactions: RUaMoose
Just getting tired.

What more may be gone? Ash and staff aren't Flood. Everything I read is these kids see the bigger picture better than the folks predicting recruiting doom and gloom.

I'm not saying RU won't lose somebody but there's no body of work from this staff to assume any kind of mass exodus.

Btw, I know it's a different level right now but OSU just lost a big time recruit last week to Kentucky. Michigan has lost a couple. Defections on an individual basis happen everywhere.

Knight I know but it has just been so God damned painful and so God damned long waiting for this to finally happen and be maintained

Ash was asked about decommits at last nights TD Club meeting. His response was something like, sure we ewill have some kids decommit, happens to all schools - BUT, he expects all his top priority commits to stay with us.

My Lord PLEASE change the title of this thread!

I'll say it again:

- we haven't lost a single commit and it's already the end of October (Flood's 2013 disaster, on the other hand, was down about 8-10 kids by now...)

- we ARE going to lose a kid or two. So what? Everyone does these days (see next point...)!

- Ohio State just lost a 4-star QB, from Ohio no less, to Kentucky. Shit happens!

- it's OKAY for kids to look elsewhere, they get FREE trips per the NCAA, let them be sure of where they want to go. Better now than later.

From another thread I saw you're a reasonable poster so I don't think you're making stuff up but you're off on the OSU QB. He was pushed out the door. Been commited since he was in 9th grade but OSU recruited another QB over him this year. He saw the writing on the wall. Other kid is a 5 star on some sites. The kid went to Kentucky because his options weren't plentiful.

When the recruits see we started a QB that can't run,
throw, read defenses, or play football at all, they
will laugh at us and say this ain't for me.

When the recruits see we started a QB that can't run,
throw, read defenses, or play football at all, they
will laugh at us and say this ain't for me.

If that is your belief then why are you here?

We've been 2 months with the same QB situation, I haven't seen anyone laughing.

Goddamn...this whole thread is one of the most offensive things I have seen on here. Furthers my belief that the general mentality of this site is a hindrance to the school's goals. It should be a place of positivity, where people can come together and support the program. We should be the ones speaking of the great many positives during a tough season. Instead it is filled with uninformed sour, bitter negativity. People demean the coaches, profess how awful we are, and expect that no kids will want to play for Rutgers.

Last edited:
Just getting tired.

Its "looking bleak?" We have had zero decommits thus far. How is it looking bleak? There are only even rumors about 2 players, and most of those come from fans with no sack who think just because the kids got an offer elsewhere they will leave. We have real coaches running the show now, not incompetent idiots. If kids leave, they will be replaced.

Rutgers has a lot to offer a recruit. Some of you guys can't see that. You have PTSD from the prior staff. The players and recruits know the deal. Do you think they thought we were an awesome team coming into this year? Of course not. They knew the new staff was going to need a couple years to get this thing turned around. That's why they committed in the first place...to be a part of that. So what has changed?

If that is your belief then why are you here?

We've been 2 months with the same QB situation, I haven't seen anyone laughing.

Goddamn...this whole thread is one of the most offensive things I have seen on here. Furthers my belief that the general mentality of this site is a hindrance to the school's goals. It should be a place of positivity, where people can come together and support the program. We should be the ones speaking of the great many positives during a tough season. Instead it is filled with uninformed sour, bitter negativity. People demean the coaches, profess how awful we are, and expect that no kids will want to play for Rutgers.
Sorry, it has only been 100 years, guess I should be
more patient.

Sorry, it has only been 100 years, guess I should be
more patient.

100 years since what?

You said the recruits would all laugh at us and leave because (i guess) Laviano wasn't good enough. Not sure how this comment relates.

I don't particularly care if you are frustrated. I am frustrated. But if you are so hurt and upset by Rutgers sports that you feel the need to denigrate every aspect of the team constantly, its probably time to have a little self-reflection on whether you are still a "fan" or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: mildone
From another thread I saw you're a reasonable poster so I don't think you're making stuff up but you're off on the OSU QB. He was pushed out the door. Been commited since he was in 9th grade but OSU recruited another QB over him this year. He saw the writing on the wall. Other kid is a 5 star on some sites. The kid went to Kentucky because his options weren't plentiful.

Not really the point, but I am a reasonable poster, thanks! Whether he was "pushed out" - as happened here to kids by a moron HC a few classes ago - or he chose to go on his own, doesn't matter to me as in the end, they're all "de-commits."

Knight I know but it has just been so God damned painful and so God damned long waiting for this to finally happen and be maintained

Here's the thing I see Monk. Flood's recruiting or lack thereof has made people feel like mass defections are the norm. I don't believe you can project Flood's results on to Ash just like Flood's results in the long run were not influenced by what Schiano was able to do. From everything I've read Ash and his staff are tireless recruiters whereas Flood left a lot to be desired. I'm not going to knock his assistants because they only follow the HC's lead.

As I said earlier from what I read a number of key recruits have said they understood things were going to be tough this year but it's the future they're buying into. I can't tell you how many times I've read Flood was never able to provide a "vision" to recruits. Ash doesn't seem to have that problem.

I don't know what will happen next week or next month. I'm not a dialed in recruitnik. I only know what I read but I never got the warm and fuzzies from at least one of the recruits that's been the major cause for this thread. It appears that the staff may have the same feeling because they have not stopped recruiting other RB's. Could RU only be a fall back option? Sure but I don't believe you'll see this staff caught off guard or not have viable options if a decommit occurs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT