ADVERTISEMENT

Army Syracuse

Caliknight

Legend
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2001
Army up 1. I'm impressed with how slick their sticks have gotten. They used to be a sort of blue collar grind it out type team but they have some slick sticks now. The one thing I see more and more in college lacrosse is teams feeding the crease even when guys are covered. These kids catch everything now.

Very fun game.

Great battles at the X.

It bugs me the entire ACC is ranked so high.

Great game. Gotta tell you, when those Cadets get loose in front, it's all she wrote. Couple of mistakes in the OT by both sides. Love the results, though.

Army up 1. I'm impressed with how slick their sticks have gotten. They used to be a sort of blue collar grind it out type team but they have some slick sticks now. The one thing I see more and more in college lacrosse is teams feeding the crease even when guys are covered. These kids catch everything now.

The talent keeps getting better and so does the equipment.

Reactions: Caliknight
I didn't see the entire game but I am surprised it was that close. Army looks like the much better team.

Syracuse bagmen must not be happy with these results.

I didn't see the entire game but I am surprised it was that close. Army looks like the much better team.

Syracuse bagmen must not be happy with these results.

Syracuse was ahead early. Shaking off the bus ride?

Army's D was better, their athletes in the middle of the field were better, and they play smarter. Their entire team has a clear idea of what they are doing and they execute. I am impressed with them. They are also very aggressive on both sides of the field. Their ability to get switches and continuously and aggressively target the shortstick they want is high IQ lacrosse. At the same time they also aren't afraid to go at poles forcing uncomfortable slide patterns, specifically from the shortsticks.

Army's hype is going to continue to grow, for good reason. Another game where Syracuse will have some Instagram highlights but will lose the game. It's almost like they think a behind the back goal is worth more points.

They are going to have to win some games they aren't expected to. Unc isn't looking very good so that win won't be worth much. ND losing to Georgetown is a big loss for the Acc teams and their RPI. That Cornell game is going to be massive for them.

I didn't see the entire game but Joey Spallina got completely shut down from what I did see. His lack of footspeed doesn't work against top level defensemen. That number 1 tag is a lot to live up to and he's a good player but when his grad class is done he won't be anywhere near that level. Syracuse invested a lot of resources in that family. You have to start wondering if it was worth it.

Last edited:
Army's D was better, their athletes in the middle of the field were better, and they play smarter. Their entire team has a clear idea of what they are doing and they execute. I am impressed with them. They are also very aggressive on both sides of the field. Their ability to get switches and continuously and aggressively target the shortstick they want is high IQ lacrosse. At the same time they also aren't afraid to go at poles forcing uncomfortable slide patterns, specifically from the shortsticks.

Army's hype is going to continue to grow, for good reason. Another game where Syracuse will have some Instagram highlights but will lose the game. It's almost like they think a behind the back goal is worth more points.

They are going to have to win some games they aren't expected to. Unc isn't looking very good so that win won't be worth much. ND losing to Georgetown is a big loss for the Acc teams and their RPI. That Cornell game is going to be massive for them.

I didn't see the entire game but Joey Spallina got completely shut down from what I did see. His lack of footspeed doesn't work against top level defensemen. That number 1 tag is a lot to live up to and he's a good player but when his grad class is done he won't be anywhere near that level. Syracuse invested a lot of resources in that family. You have to start wondering if it was worth it.

And Hiltz didn't make the scoreboard until the goal that sent the game into overtime. Princeton transfer King was the scorer this game.

They have a similar problem we have without Kelly. They don't have multiple dodgers at attack and Spallina isn't as effective as Ross.

We have much better dodgers at midfield though. I was surprised how much more physical Army was and how much more athletic in the middle of the field Army was. Syracuse is essentially a box team playing outdoor. It will create some Instagram highlights but you can't win big games that way in the outdoor game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT