ADVERTISEMENT

Article: RU asst Coaches lowest Paid in B10.

what-you-pay-for-in-life-you-get-what-you.png

I agree with the OP, the only way to fix this is to give everyone a huge raise.
not the point,In order to compete with the rest of the B10,you need Coaches and facilities.Both of these building blocks cost money to get to a B10 level. Adding an ex head Coach,or an experienced power Five Cord asst, to help Ash,or the offense side might be a good idea....

What gives? Am I making it up? It's true factual info.

pretty sure our BBall assistants aren't the cheapest. but why let that get in the way of a good story

you know the challenge we have until we get full share of the B1G...yet you continue to throw your sh!t out there.

whatever - I don't know why I waste my time with you.

pretty sure our BBall assistants aren't the cheapest. but why let that get in the way of a good story

you know the challenge we have until we get full share of the B1G...yet you continue to throw your sh!t out there.

whatever - I don't know why I waste my time with you.
Not True on Bball asst coaches.
However, Pikiell kept pursuing Knight, who reportedly turned down a raise to stay at Pitt under new head coach Kevin Stallings. A full profile on Knight is here

Coach Pikiell now has Knight along with Hobbs and Young, forming the most experienced staff that the Rutgers men's basketball program has possibly ever had. .

Does anyone else see the irony in the fact that a NJ paper writes this article as an indictment against the school for being cheap BUT if we ever ended up somewhere in the middle of the conference or higher, there would be an expose' done in a heartbeat about how the school's priorities are misaligned.

Reactions: ATIOH
Does anyone else see the irony in the fact that a NJ paper writes this article as an indictment against the school for being cheap BUT if we ever ended up somewhere in the middle of the conference or higher, there would be an expose' done in a heartbeat about how the school's priorities are misaligned.
its a USA today article on rising Asst Coach salaries in College football..

It's the troll way!

Just so easy to fix. Give everybody a raise and they instantly gain a decade of experience.
Exactly. Obviously the asst coaches were holding back on teaching skills like tackling and passing as well as chalk talk until they get an increase.

Reactions: hiwater
Essentially a strike pay increase, right?
Exactly, they were on a work slowdown last season. We were not lacking talent, it was just the coaches were holding back. Show them the money and we probably win the East next season.

The B1G currently pays us in uncooked hotdogs until we full vest. We refuse to borrow against future earnings to buy a adequate hot dog cooker.

Reactions: sct1111
inexperienced = low pay
Subsidy + B1G paying us $11.6 million = No money for coaches.

We're still broke, we may be a B1G member, but we're certainly not being paid like one. Hell RU even went to the B1G for an advance like Maryland. However unlike Maryland we were told you have a contract now you have to live with it. Good Luck welcome to the B1G.

Stupid article. Lowest paid by a smidgen. Our 28 year old OC gets $450,000 a year. Ash got paid $580,000 last year as a DC at Ohio St. and we pay our DC $450,000. And Rutgers is not even getting full share of Big Ten pay outs. It's just the opposite. The administration finally reached into their pockets and paid big time for a new HC and staff. Given their level of experience, they are actually paid very well.

I have been saying this for awhile in different threads when this comes up, Everyone was so eager to throw rose petals at Barchi's feet when he fired Flood and Julie. There was a shout from above that money was not an issue. Well...thats not really true. RU still spends less than everybody else..and yes I know the money isnt there. But money was an issue, it prevented any kind of push for an experienced coach and it without argument definitely was a factor in the assistant pool which we find to be the lowest paid in the league. Bottom line is you get what you pay for. RU was paying MAC level salary to Flood so it was already behind the curve and just by paying Ash double what Flood was getting didnt mean that somehow RU had arrived and Barchi was opening the purse strings. I am still very very weary of Barchi and his uncanny ability to hold back the athletic department, the refusal to borrow any money against future earnings speaks for itself. He is always riding with a bus along side of him ready to do his bidding. So to me RU doing things halfway yet again, how can RU expect to go to bowl games when they are spending less than anyone else

I have been saying this for awhile in different threads when this comes up, Everyone was so eager to throw rose petals at Barchi's feet when he fired Flood and Julie. There was a shout from above that money was not an issue. Well...thats not really true. RU still spends less than everybody else..and yes I know the money isnt there. But money was an issue, it prevented any kind of push for an experienced coach and it without argument definitely was a factor in the assistant pool which we find to be the lowest paid in the league. Bottom line is you get what you pay for. RU was paying MAC level salary to Flood so it was already behind the curve and just by paying Ash double what Flood was getting didnt mean that somehow RU had arrived and Barchi was opening the purse strings. I am still very very weary of Barchi and his uncanny ability to hold back the athletic department, the refusal to borrow any money against future earnings speaks for itself. He is always riding with a bus along side of him ready to do his bidding. So to me RU doing things halfway yet again, how can RU expect to go to bowl games when they are spending less than anyone else

RU was paying Greg about 2.5 million in his last year (or we would have been), nabbed Flood for a cool $700K per year, and paid the assistants, particularly the OC and DC, peanuts. If anything, under those circumstances, there should have been MORE money for assistants, particularly the OC and DC. Hell, if anyone needed a strong and experienced OC and DC, it was Flood. When they finally opened up the purse and got Friedgen, a lot positive things happened on the field (not all positive, but better than previous years). So, looking at it now, RU could have and should have spent more for the OC and DC and assistants, but that's not what we do here. . . . .

RU was paying Greg about 2.5 million in his last year (or we would have been), nabbed Flood for a cool $700K per year, and paid the assistants, particularly the OC and DC, peanuts. If anything, under those circumstances, there should have been MORE money for assistants, particularly the OC and DC. Hell, if anyone needed a strong and experienced OC and DC, it was Flood. When they finally opened up the purse and got Friedgen, a lot positive things happened on the field (not all positive, but better than previous years). So, looking at it now, RU could have and should have spent more for the OC and DC and assistants, but that's not what we do here. . . . .

no you are right, we are playing the same foolish game but in a different league..,.and yes we arent getting full share, but does then that mean we are destined for last place and 3-9 seasons for 5 years, if so they need to tell us that because why buy tickets to see a product that is expected to be bad and that they are not supporting. The key here is the refusal to borrow any money from future earnings and you bring up a great point about where did the Schiano money go.

So what should RU DO?
Continue to invest into the program at the same rate for coach salary and infrastructure and have lower attendance ,lose sponsers,lose season ticket monies and other revenue with low win total win seasons or attempt to borrow against money soon to come at full B10 share,maybe ask the B10 for portion of monies now to re invest into the program..?
Just staying status quo and saying we dont get the same share as rest of B10 isnt the long term answer for taking the immediate steps to compete with rest of league,and the longer we fall behind,the tougher and more expensive the climb out will be....
Curious to see,what is everyones views on what RU should do?

Reactions: #1 RUFan
no you are right, we are playing the same foolish game but in a different league..,.and yes we arent getting full share, but does then that mean we are destined for last place and 3-9 seasons for 5 years, if so they need to tell us that because why buy tickets to see a product that is expected to be bad and that they are not supporting. The key here is the refusal to borrow any money from future earnings and you bring up a great point about where did the Schiano money go.

You and I disagree a fair amount, but the last two points are just mystifying. I am a strong believer in living/spending within your means, but if I knew I had a windfall coming in 2021, I might upgrade from a Honda Accord to a BMW, Mercedes or Audi, and move from a townhouse/condo to a single family home on some acreage. I don't want to sound like a former coach apologist again, because ultimately he was never going to succeed, but you would have thought SOMEBODY would have recognized and said: "Hey, this guy was a our last choice, and even Schiano did not take him to Tampa Bay---we better get some good coordinators to prop this guy up to avert disaster." But instead, the $1.8 million in savings over Schiano's salary gets deep sixed. Then, four years later, after RU has dug itself into a deeper hole to avert all the damage, and with a much better financial outlook, do they come up to par for a new head coaches salary of $2.5 million? Nope. And they hold the line on all of the assistant coaches too. Rutgers-revolutionary in being penny wise and pound foolish for 250 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT