ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Artist renderings of potential renovations of Jersey Mike's Arena

After looking at the renderings and taking the survey I have completely changed my mind about RAC renovation. Build new! The renovation goal is clearly focused on premium seating. I understand why that is one of the two major focuses but unfortunately it just does not work in that building. If they limited the renovation to entrance/lobby, bathrooms and concessions RAC renovation is a reasonable approach - but cramming all the luxury seating into a space limited area is not going to work.
I think that is just too hard to tell from these drawings. I would like to see what the wider public areas, the inside new entryway and the better public restrooms/concessions look like, but there is no view of that.

Not increasing capacity is a HUGE fail. Totally against this. You’re displacing loyal season ticket holders for corporate box seats. Corporate boxes are usually not fans and people invited because they are clients or for business reasons. I know as I have been on both sides of this.
Season ticket holders who stayed loyal to the team through decades of futility are now being forgotten in favor of very expensive seating options .Big time college basket ball programs shouldn't be playing in a 7500 seating arena.The minimum should be a 9,500 seat arena with a attractive concourse,plenty of rest rooms and concessions stands along with the hall of fame area.The Pernetti rendering provided what is needed.

I know season holders expect loyalty from the program and definitely deserve some. But it’s to a certain extent and you only rent your seats.

I’m wondering if you were given the option of buying a personal seat license anywhere from 50% to 100% of the non court level premium seating to keep the equivalent of your seat would you do it? If not I think the school giving you a fairly similar GA season ticket is fair. Wonder if they would consider a hybrid option for these people in between.

I think it's important to note that the survey is measuring demand of certain types of seating, so it presented exhaustive options. They won't build all of them, just the ones fans tell them they're interested in.

Reactions: GORU2014
I think that is just too hard to tell from these drawings. I would like to see what the wider public areas, the inside new entryway and the better public restrooms/concessions look like, but there is no view of that.
the RAC is simply too small and not designed to handle all the premium areas. If they go that route there is no way to increase total capacity. If they are intenet on adding premium seating like explained in detail in the survey then building new is the way to go. The pernetti plans worked - this plan is a a total mess.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
In the Winter?

confused1.gif

My only thought, the Club seat side will not be well represented as most will be in the lounge. Those people don't come for the game but for the scene. It's the same in the Audi Club. Kiss your RAC advantage away.
“You’re not privy to all the new information, man”

• Haha
Reactions: koleszar
Lol it’s not hard to tell. Just stop . They are trying to shoehorn luxury seating into the antiquated arena, while they price many of the regular folks out . It’s obvious.

The renderings also show the removal of the 300 level bleacher type seating and the installation of chairbacks - with those changes and all the space used for luxury seems to me capacity will be actually be reduced from the current 8000 to the 7500 range - totally inadequate. Any plan for renovation that does not increased capacity to the 9500 - 10000 range is a total fail.

lipstick on a pig.

Reduce capacity but SIGNIFICANTLY up the prices? Man, they do not know their customer base. Reminds me of the Bud Light fiasco.

Reactions: Local Shill
I don't like it. I don't like hollowing out the core of the fans for a lux box. Feels like it's gutting the heart of the RAC fan madness. I like the concourse expansion though. Don't really care about the details of it as long as it adds space and facilities.

Reactions: G- RUnit
I saw this as options. They're not putting luxury boxes at every level of the arena guys. I think they want to see what people will pay for. If I am paying for luxury, it damn sure isn't in the 300s lol. I am joining their Zoom meeting to voice my opinion but the overall message will be don't screw with the acoustics.

Did everybody complaining about the capacity completely miss Richie’s post in this thread saying the capacity will actually increase?

There’s some nuance here. For instance, if they take away 1k seats from fans currently in the 200s and convert them to premium seating that few of the current season ticket holders will buy (assuming they can even afford them) you are effectively reducing capacity for pure basketball fans. Likewise, a standing “seat” on an open air loge adjacent to a food court isn’t really a seat in the traditional sense.

I thought the RAC still had those pull out 100 level seats because room was needed for Gymnastics Meets. Are they not needed and they can be permanent now?

There’s some nuance here. For instance, if they take away 1k seats from fans currently in the 200s and convert them to premium seating that few of the current season ticket holders will buy (assuming they can even afford them) you are effectively reducing capacity for pure basketball fans. Likewise, a standing “seat” on an open air loge adjacent to a food court isn’t really a seat in the traditional sense.
That's fair. In any case, probably hard to give a definitive number until they know exactly what they'll do.

Reactions: bitnez
I think it's important to note that the survey is measuring demand of certain types of seating, so it presented exhaustive options. They won't build all of them, just the ones fans tell them they're interested in.
If they only build what people tell them they're interested in, they're not building any of these.

I stand by my RAC renovation plan. Build a big outer structure around the arena and make the outside a plaza filled with whatever we need. Flip the inside spaces to have outdoor entryways\exits and open up the concourse by removing the food stands, weight room, etc. Amenities will be in the plaza which could include a sports bar, team store, event space, etc.

I'm kinda picturing a vibe like a combination of the University of Minnesota Alumni Center, the lobby of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and the Javits center, but with more Rutgers Spirit, surrounding the RAC on three sides. The RAC would be enclosed and painted\shined. The other big benefit to this is that the amenities in the new plaza can be changed and upgraded at will; if they're not working, it can be moved and adjusted without heavy building changes.

memorial-hall-main.jpg
AF1QipOPGefirE96TxAwbzlV0Ko-OWZUz1gmdfVXiY71=s680-w680-h510

21039143602_e1743ccde1_b.jpg

Interior-Design-Jacob-K-Javits-Center-05043-P-016-CC-Concourse.jpg

Demolish press room, it's just in the way. Put in new bleachers that extend to the corners to make a bowl, build out the former 118 to match, with a concourse cutout for handicap seating.

Raise and extend the offices into premium seating\box seating. If you really must, build a recruiting deck style spot where the current handicap seating is, and turn the current lobby into the "club" space.

End result:
New and easily updated amenities
Minimal disruptive indoor construction
Significantly widened concourses
Additional seating
Architectural match to the Business school, APC, and Residence halls
Keeps the RAC unique and loud
New all-weather premium event space on campus that can used outside of basketball games for additional revenue

Reactions: SF88
I thought the RAC still had those pull out 100 level seats because room was needed for Gymnastics Meets. Are they not needed and they can be permanent now?
Those seats are pulled out for gymnastics, wrestling and volleyball matches in the RAC.

Bottom line is I think most of us are scared because we know how good Rutgers is at RU SCREWING things up in no time at all. This one is important to all of us - we have an amazing atmosphere, but an AD who will have been here for a cup of coffee with no ties to RU other than this job controlling the destiny for a lot of his 'LIFERS' who have rooted for RU long before he was here and will still be here long after he's gone and forgotten about his job. Count me as putting both hands over my eyes and praying that our new Corporate Premium Arena where Hobbs can host all his bougie friends doesn't get screwed up too bad......No doubt I'm going off the deep end a bit and being hard on Hobbs, but I can't help thinking this thing is going to crash into the mountain - 'My name is Saint Puppy and I am an RU fan'.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT