ADVERTISEMENT

Ash to Coach tOSU Bowl Game

I like the hire and am all in for Ash but this is not a good move. He should be putting together a staff and hit the recruiting trail now. Disappointing

Reactions: JoeRU0304
Paul Chryst left Pitt immediately after getting the Wisconsin HC Job.

Pitt's Bowl game was coached by the remaining Pitt staff that he didn't take to Wisconsin.

Coaches set their own priorities.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Yet Narduzzi coached MSU in the 2015 Cotton Bowl AFTER accepting the PItt job.:rolleyes:
B6TboGUCIAALVGu.jpg

Reactions: PaKnight and ATIOH
If he leaves before the bowl game he can't spend halftime calling every Top Ten NJ kid from Pasadena.

Yet Narduzzi coached MSU in the 2015 Cotton Bowl AFTER accepting the PItt job.:rolleyes:
B6TboGUCIAALVGu.jpg

Pat Narduzzi accepted the Pitt HC position on Dec 26 so staying to coach in a New Years Day Bowl
only cost him a week.

Although some of our fans thought he should have left immediately and may have had some negative impact on recruiting.

Rutgers time reference is significantly longer.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
Clearly a stepping stone? Please go back and take your meds. If he doesn't succeed, what is he going to step up to? In 5 years if we are competitive program and start getting our share of NJ recruits and he wants to go take over for Meyer or Saban or Miles, he has earned it and we will be in much better shape than today. He might just want to stay here because in 5 year we will be able to be competitive with money as well.
You just confirmed. Yes - if he succeeds, onto greener pastures. Understand that's reality. If he doesn't, he still keeps the relationships with Urban and company so he has a backup plan. I think most of us understand that is how things work, but you want to give an impression to those that will be behind you in your new venture that you are all in and not just half-assed in.

Yes and like this board. A lot of fans were upset with the decision.

I think it hurt us the most with recruiting last year.

This year I think we will be fine with recruiting this year by February.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Exactly!

You just confirmed. Yes - if he succeeds, onto greener pastures. Understand that's reality. If he doesn't, he still keeps the relationships with Urban and company so he has a backup plan. I think most of us understand that is how things work, but you want to give an impression to those that will be behind you in your new venture that you are all in and not just half-assed in.

Can we let the man start before crucifying him? You guys are like bunch chickens running around with head cut off, the sky is falling, sky is falling! You guys must live a life of glass half full. I think I have faith in Barchi & Hobbs to negotiate a deal that makes sense for RU. Let the man start, listen to his press conference tomorrow and hear his plan before getting yourself all worked up.

DON'T LIKE THAT AT ALL.DISAPPOINTED IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT.That he will be spending another 3 weeks at least away from his job DUTIES here does not sit well at my table. Compares to the nice vacation that Shea took after his hiring by RU.:(

Reactions: koleszar
Can we let the man start before crucifying him? You guys are like bunch chickens running around with head cut off, the sky is falling, sky is falling! You guys must live a life of glass half full. I think I have faith in Barchi & Hobbs to negotiate a deal that makes sense for RU. Let the man start, listen to his press conference tomorrow and hear his plan before getting yourself all worked up.
Sure. Fair enough. However, this is NJ so it'll be interesting to see what the media makes of this. That alone could set the tone (assuming negative because it is NJ after all).

"We are supposed to take you seriously when you're talking about osu playing in the rose bowl as a meaningless game "

Lol.

Word to the wise, we are in the Big Ten. The Rose Bowl is hardly a consolation prize. Its one of the biggest goals each year. Are their fans disappointed they didn't get to repeat? Probably, but that hardly makes this a meaningless bowl for them.

Reactions: SirScarlet
He hasn't sign anything ar Rutgers yet. The reporter asked him if he was planning on coaching until the bowl game.

Please stop posting dumb sheet.

At least wait until he is hired first and he is asked that question again.

Or you can throw a temper tantrum on line for the world to see.

Whatever works for you.

Speaks to being a loyal person re:OSU?Maybe. I would like to see ALL of his loyalty being directed to RU, as his new employer, and the players and recruits who are now dependent upon him.

B6TboGUCIAALVGu.jpg

You can't mean this has actually happened before? That other coaches have stayed to coach in a bowl game and that it didn't result in the new program they were taking over to completely implode??

Impossible! That picture has got to be photoshopped because this could absolutely never happen. (Sarcasm meter definitely on.)

Geez, some of you people really need to drink some decaf.

Reactions: suggakane
I would prefer he be here, unless they made the playoffs (they didn't obviously) or another of the New Year's Big 6 bowls (which they probably will). Then he can split his time between here and there during the time period as necessary and be a giant walking billboard on New Year's Day for us.

You can't mean this has actually happened before? That other coaches have stayed to coach in a bowl game and that it didn't result in the new program they were taking over to completely implode??

Impossible! That picture has got to be photoshopped because this could absolutely never happen. (Sarcasm meter definitely on.)

...there's a time difference of about 3 weeks in these scenarios; I'd say that's vastly different. I'm not crucifying the guy at all, but if I were an opposing coach (heck, if I were MEYER), you better believe I'm talking about this with recruits. I'd bet when Campbell and co go visit Pitt next week Narduzzi is in their ears about this. "Oh, he's going to Rutgers...when, in a month? Guess we know where Rutgers stands in terms of priority."

Joe P.

Speaks to being a loyal person re:OSU?Maybe. I would like to see ALL of his loyalty being directed to RU, as his new employer, and the players and recruits who are now dependent upon him.

Maybe he is being loyal to RU. Let's say he is coaching at the Rose Bowl, how many recruits will be watching the game? How many times do you think the announcers are going to mention, here is Coach Ash, who turned the Ohio St. defense around and now will be the head coach of RU after the game. Coach Meyers brought him in to improve his defense and he turned the defense into top 20 in the country from top 50................ You can't buy that kind of publicity, and, let's wait and see his press conference and what his plans are.

Normally, i would understand but its not a championship game and OSU already has another defensive coordinator (albeit all signs show that Chris was the only DC). If this is loyalty to Urban Meyer, who likes his coaches to succeed and pointed Ash away from Syracuse and into his actual conference to compete against him each year, AND, Ash was adamant about not burning bridges in the interview I saw, then it still make sense, its just a short term blip. Lots of work can be done on airplanes and helicopters while doing both jobs , and the Fiesta Bowl will be a talking billboard for Urban Meyer's assistants!!!

I want him full time now! If not he better be recruiting between practices. What about our guys?

Normally, i would understand but its not a championship game and OSU already has another defensive coordinator (albeit all signs show that Chris was the only DC). If this is loyalty to Urban Meyer, who likes his coaches to succeed and pointed Ash away from Syracuse and into his actual conference to compete against him each year, AND, Ash was adamant about not burning bridges in the interview I saw, then it still make sense, its just a short term blip. Lots of work can be done on airplanes and helicopters while doing both jobs , and the Fiesta Bowl will be a talking billboard for Urban Meyer's assistants!!!

...hope you're right. Sometimes "little blips" are exactly that, and other times they're the start of a broken axle in the middle of the race.

Joe P.

LOL. While I said in my OP, I would rather he get started and leave tOSU behind, let's see what coaching in the bowl means. If it means coaching practices during Christmas week to get ready for the January 1 bowl game, what is the harm? High Schools are closed, and it's dead period. Plus he can add to his resume that he coached in the Rose Bowl and use that as a selling point for recruits.

We would not have this problem if we had kept Flood. . . . .

Fair points. As you note, flip side of this can be TV time, particularly if his defense dominates in the bowl game. Also, unlike Joe Pa, who tried to keep Greg away from Rutgers, Meyers didn't seem to be all to concerned about it.

1) Dominate the Bowl opponent's offense

2) Immediately don Rutgers hat for post-game celebration and take a photo

3) Tweet the photo to the world with the message "My job is done at OSU. Time to awaken the Sleeping Giant!" #RutgersFootball

One thing for sure...

(Nearly) Every Rutgers fan will be watching the Fiesta Bowl this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: suggakane
...there's a time difference of about 3 weeks in these scenarios; I'd say that's vastly different. I'm not crucifying the guy at all, but if I were an opposing coach (heck, if I were MEYER), you better believe I'm talking about this with recruits. I'd bet when Campbell and co go visit Pitt next week Narduzzi is in their ears about this. "Oh, he's going to Rutgers...when, in a month? Guess we know where Rutgers stands in terms of priority."

Joe P.

As other have pointed out, him coaching in this game could provide positive PR for RU, since it's a pretty sure bet it'll be mentioned on air that Ash, the main guy responsible for turning tOSU's defense into a true force, will be taking over as RU's next HC. -And this guy is reportedly a relentless worker, so I have a sense he'll do what he needs to do to get the ball rolling at Rutgers, even with him finishing out his stint at tOSU.

Also, Narduzzi did exactly what Ash supposedly will be doing...stayed to coach in his former team's bowl game. So he'd be trying to negatively recruit against Ash by pointing out the very thing he did himself.

As mentioned previously, maybe HC Ash is thinking about the publicity gained from this. Think about it, a few mentions during the game about him becoming HC at RU, defense on display, and at the end perhaps an interview with him donning an RU hat and looking forward blah blah blah....Also, for our current and potential recruits a chance to see what could be in store at RU with our new HC...remember he is still *unknown* to alot of ppl including our recruits.

Have any of you, save 1 poster, thought about 2 things???????
1] He has a contract with OSU through the "entire college FB season. How would you feel if he was your coach, he got hired away, and he left you just before a Bowl game that was very important to "dear old Rutgers".
If he violated the terms of the contract with you, and left you to recruit for someone else while you are still paying him big dollars?????? Shoe on the other foot feel funny?????????
2] He does not even have a legal signed Contract to be your HFBC yet!!!!!!! And whose fault is that????
Was your legal team already with the Contract the day he agreed to terms, or did they need time to "write it up" ???????
Good Luck Next Year Happy Holidays What ever your persuasion Chanukah or Christmas!~!~!!!!!!!!!!!

You lost me when you referred to the Rose Bowl as meaningless.
It's likely but we don't even know if the rose bowl picks OSU over Iowa.

Ash is shooting himself in the foot with this decision. The media is going to eat him alive. Recruiting is going to suffer. The fans are not going to be happy. You can spin it anyway you want but this isn't a good look.

This is so disappointing. There is alot of work to be done here. OSU is our competitor. Ash is no longer a Buckeye..our AD is actually allowing him to coach for our competitor to make them m better rather than concentrate 100% on making Rutgers better. Its a bad move no spinning

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT