ADVERTISEMENT

Ash will get us Smashed

I wish we hire a offensive person but since we have such a terrible defense I can understand hiring a defensive person. If anything, this is the reason we were blown out by most Big Ten teams.
I see we might be going spread so that even a positive.

Dude your such a douche sometimes

You should read CuredBy's thread. Here's a quote to keep:

"This is a horrible hire by every measure - a non- recruiter with no local ties. Couldn't be worse and you should expect to see a lot more posts like this so get used to it."

- CuredbyWinning

Yeah I am dumb or a bum . Why don't you just look that I have been right most of the time on this board ? Maybe plum knows a thing or two about college football . About Rutgers football.

Right about what exactly?

I'm surprised Rutgers didn't reach out to you since you're such an expert

The fact that there was a big name recommendation is meaningless. It's all backscratching for buddies. Terry Shea was hired despite having no contacts at all in the entire east coast based on Bill Walsh's recommendation. This is the same nonsense. How on earth do you hire a coach without any recruiting bona fides and no history at all in the region. This is Dick Anderson/Terry Shea redux. Very disappointing.

I wish we hire a offensive person but since we have such a terrible defense I can understand hiring a defensive person. If anything, this is the reason we were blown out by most Big Ten teams.
Honestly, I think the defense is way behind the offense. In terms of short term wins and losses I think getting the defense straightened out will have the biggest impact.

The fact that there was a big name recommendation is meaningless. It's all backscratching for buddies. Terry Shea was hired despite having no contacts at all in the entire east coast based on Bill Walsh's recommendation. This is the same nonsense. How on earth do you hire a coach without any recruiting bona fides and no history at all in the region. This is Dick Anderson/Terry Shea redux. Very disappointing.
You can keep posting it but I'm not seeing a connection between the Shea hire and this move. Doubt most others will either.

I'm pleased with this move. We will be known for defense again.

"Kick Ash" sounds better.

I just saw a video of this guy and man he "gets it"

Effort before Xs and Os. No scheme will save you if you're not playing hard all the time

Keep defenses simple and branch out as players capacity increases - no "guru defenses".

Thank God - I'm so sick of over-coaching co-coordinators who fall into their chalkboards (or Surface 2s lol)

Reactions: MulletCork
Mostly that he was never offered a power 5 head coaching job . Looks like Hobbs is just enamored with Urban's recommendation . It's just Rutgers being Rutgers with a cheap hire
Plum this is not recruiting. You have no idea who he has talked to. Also if this is your criteria for being a good head coaching candidate some of the most prominent coaches in college football today would never have been hired by your search committee. Not a real good way to pick a head coach in my opinion.

Dantonio was never offered a P5 job until Michigan State. Urban was never offered a P5 job until Florida. Kirby Smart is about to go to Georgia. That is his first head coach offer from a P5 school. I know there are many more but don't feel like looking it up now.

Weis had P5 offers before and is a guy with Jersey ties. Too bad we didn't hire him instead, right?

You can keep posting it but I'm not seeing a connection between the Shea hire and this move. Doubt most others will either.

I'm pleased with this move. We will be known for defense again.

I can't really find a reason to hate this hire. I know some have this irrational belief that we have to poach a big-name P5 coach to be successful or we have to hire a retread with Jersey ties, but the real world of coaching doesn't work that way.

Effort before Xs and Os. No scheme will save you if you're not playing hard all the time

Keep defenses simple and branch out as players capacity increases - no "guru defenses".

Thank God - I'm so sick of over-coaching co-coordinators who fall into their chalkboards (or Surface 2s lol)

Ha, he talks about Gary in the video!

Comparing Flood to Ash ain't the same F-ing ballpark, it ain't the same league, it ain't even the same F-ing sport.

Has anyone ever heard Flood discuss X's and O's ?

The only thing I remember is...."we don't change our defense just because we are in the red zone". The DB's still back peddled. I guess h tried to prevent that 50 yard red zone TD pass.

He was good guy, but, an OL coach.

Reactions: Jersey Boys
Hey OP

tumblr_m1mid95DDP1rq4no1o1_250.gif

Reactions: MikeR0102

"Meaningless"? That's moronic.

Hey listen, its a gamble, but it was pretty much exactly the type of person I was expecting to hire. And I think he will do well for us.
Really, you were acting like we'd not be able to get anyone like Aranda/Meacham and others mentioned. You were saying the Fordham coach, Moorhead, as the type of guy we'd get. Not a national champ coordinator and Urban assistant. I've been saying there are only so many P5 jobs and mid major HCs and P5 coordinators will take most of them. The only defense was "you'll see" even though I gave plenty of examples. Come on now.

You're right this is exactly the type of hire I expected and it's no better or worse than names like Aranda/Babers/Meacham and others thrown out. Time will tell if it's good or bad.

So it is all about you OP after all, you dumb ,self important know it all. Al Golden- that says it all.

Reactions: thad23
And why do you think this? If urban Meyer, who can pick anyone, sees something in him, I don't know why you wouldn't

I agree with Plum and it's hard for me to say that. Urban hired Ash as a Defensive Coordinator, not as a Head Coach. 2 different jobs with different responsibilities. because you're good at one, doesn't make you good at the other. First time Head Coaches going up against experienced Head Coaches such as Meyer, Harbaugh, Dantonio, Franklin usually don't get to their second contract term.

Reactions: Plum Street
I agree with Plum and it's hard for me to say that. Urban hired Ash as a Defensive Coordinator, not as a Head Coach. 2 different jobs with different responsibilities. because you're good at one, doesn't make you good at the other. First time Head Coaches going up against experienced Head Coaches such as Meyer, Harbaugh, Dantonio, Franklin usually don't get to their second contract term.

Provide statistical evidence to back up your point.

Reactions: RUfaninMIA
And why do you think this? If urban Meyer, who can pick anyone, sees something in him, I don't know why you wouldn't
I am ruthless when I need to be in life. I wouldn't recommend someone to a position who would at some point out seat me.

I would recommend someone for a competing position, or hire someone I know who couldn't out perform me.

Urban Meyer's recommendation should hold no water.

The OP is entitled not to like the hire. We are entitled to challenge his reasons. It's a message board.

But the biggest piece of crap he spewed was that this is "Rutgers being Rutgers with a cheap hire." Ash has been a defensive coordinator at three P5 schools. He doesn't just have Urban Meyer's recommendation; he also has Barry Alvarez's. Never been a head coach? So f-ing what? He's 41 years old. It's not like he's been passed over despite getting multiple interviews. And you have to start somewhere. No New Jersey ties? Again, so f-ing what. You spend your first few weeks going around the state meeting the coaches at the top programs, and then, after recruiting season is over, get out and meet the rest of them. You build ties. What exactly were Schiano's ties? Growing up in a town that's practically in New York and then one year as a grad assistant? He built the ties. And Ash will not be dumb enough to pull a Terry Shea and think his brilliant offensive mind is all you need.

Welcome, Mr. Ash.

Reactions: RutgHoops
Not a big fan of this hire. I will support it , but I believe we will be posting a lot of 'ash will get us smashed ' on this board in years to come .
Remember plum street coined the term' flood the dud ' before the 2012 season .

Cool. Remember that I (I like to refer to myself in the first person, not the third person, because I'm not an a-hole) coined the following terms :

Ash in a Flash
Ash will Bash
Ash ain't Trash
Ash is gonna Clash
Ash for Cash
Ash will Thrash

And just in case, I am also coining the negatives of the above (e.g., Ash won't Bash, etc).

Not a big fan of this hire. I will support it , but I believe we will be posting a lot of 'ash will get us smashed ' on this board in years to come .
I hope I am proven wrong and 'ash won't get us smashed '. Time to get behind the new coach , even if I don't believe .

Ugggghhh!! I'm struggling to find the words for this post. You'll get behind the new coach? Really?

Worst post I've read here in... maybe ever.

I've said before if you look I don't really see much a difference in failure success rate in having previous HC experience vs P5 coordinator experience. You're right in that just because you're a good coordinator doesn't mean you'll be a good HC. But looking at guys with previous HC experience especially from the mid majors vs coaches stepping from coordinators, I don't see a difference and that's why I've never shied away from bringing them up as good options. If you can point to this path and say see look the success rate is noticeably better then I'd say yup that's the way to go but I don't see it.

Last edited:
I've said before if you look I don't really see much a difference in failure success rate in having previous HC experience vs P5 coordinator experience. You're right in that just because you're a good coordinator you'll be a good HC. But looking at guys with previous HC experience especially from the mid majors vs coaches stepping from coordinators, I don't see a difference and that's why I've never shied away from bringing them up as good options. If you can point to this path and say see look the success rate is noticeably better then I'd say yup that's the way to go but I don't see it.

I agree with you whether mid-major coaches or first time Coordinators. Then pony up for an experienced Head Coach that has had success winning against major programs instead of a crapshot. We're facing experienced Head Coaches that have huge success putting together winning programs and winning their games. Shoot, I would have taken a HC like Diaco or Narduzzi with a head start on being a Head Coach.

I respect everybody's opinion, but personally, Golden was the last guy I wanted here. -This was someone who was so hated by Miami fans they were flying banners over the stadium begging "Da U's" administration to get rid of him.

His teams had some talent, but for the most part they played soft and without fire, and hiring him would have given the impression RU was willing to take on a guy who, (right now, anyway) is perceived as "damaged goods" by many.

Also, we would still be tied to the Paterno coaching tree, and I'm glad we've finally made a clean break from that.

Will Ash be the answer? Only time will tell. -But I like the enthusiasm and drive he's shown in the video interviews I've seen, and I think he definitely deserves his shot here at RU.

I hope I am proven wrong and 'ash won't get us smashed '. Time to get behind the new coach , even if I don't believe .
If you're on board then change the name of your stupid thread.

Yeah I am dumb or a bum . Why don't you just look that I have been right most of the time on this board ? Maybe plum knows a thing or two about college football . About Rutgers football.
you really write like slyker...do you watch tape, too?

I am ruthless when I need to be in life. I wouldn't recommend someone to a position who would at some point out seat me.

I would recommend someone for a competing position, or hire someone I know who couldn't out perform me.

Urban Meyer's recommendation should hold no water.

Coaching tree's are highlighted and exist because HC's allow talent to leave and they don't screw ppl over who assisted them in their success. Your inability to have confidence in yourself to beat the best or know you will out work anyone that comes along; even a ex-assistant/associate, speaks to your post.

Reactions: RUfaninMIA
I agree with you whether mid-major coaches or first time Coordinators. Then pony up for an experienced Head Coach that has had success winning against major programs instead of a crapshot. We're facing experienced Head Coaches that have huge success putting together winning programs and winning their games. Shoot, I would have taken a HC like Diaco or Narduzzi with a head start on being a Head Coach.
Diaco and Narduzzi aren't proven either. It's only been a year for Narduzzi and Diaco 2 without anything outside of a nice Houston win. Pony up for them? Not on those short term results.

I've given the example of Tuberville many times. Pretty successful coach but never had a conference record above .500 in 3 years at TT and that was after Mike Leach never had a losing conference record since his first year there. You never really know how a coach will do when they switch locations even if they've had success somewhere else. I'll caveat this by saying I still like Bielema and Strong and still think and have said they are solid coaches but look at some of the troubles they've had. How about Chris Petersen in his 2 years after all the success at Boise, he's doing just about what Sarkisian did before him although still early in his tenure, 2nd year. I'm sure the UW fans would think they'd have won a little more by now though. How about Rich Rod to Michigan. So you never know for sure outside of like a Meyer or Saban of how a guy will do when he switches spots.

Reactions: RURM85

I find it interesting he was praising schiano who went to the Ohio st practice to give him pointers about defense. Just thinking maybe we should have gotten schiano ? Lol. I like this guy though.

Georgia just hired an HC who has never had his own program. Tom Herman never had his own program. Narduzizi either. Nor Schiano. Les Miles first HC job was at Oklahoma State. Dan Mullen first HC job was at Mississippi State. Mark Richt's first HC job was at Georgia......should I go on?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT